I'm going out to hunt my first cache today!

NikkiPoooo

So the GPSr will be delivered to the office any time now (it's guaranteed by 3pm, and it's on the truck) and it turned out to be not quite as cruddy outside as they had predicted. I'm going after my first today then... I'm thinking it will be this one: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a1-8830f1ba42a5

Looks like an easy enough starter... only one DNF and it's been found recently.

Any vets want to share some last minutes tips, tricks, or strategies before I set out?

So the GPSr will be delivered to the office any time now (it's guaranteed by 3pm, and it's on the truck) and it turned out to be not quite as cruddy outside as they had predicted. I'm going after my first today then... I'm thinking it will be this one: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a1-8830f1ba42a5

Any vets want to share some last minutes tips, tricks, or strategies before I set out?

Check the unit setup and make sure the map datum is set for WGS84. Otherwise you won't find the cache.

Don't expect the unit to zero out where the cache is (it can happen but isn't usual). When you get within 20-30 feet start thinking "where would I hide a cache"

Looks to me like you picked a good one to start with. Once you park to the side of the intersection, start asking yourself where you would hide something. With this one that is all it should take.

Don't expect the unit to zero out where the cache is (it can happen but isn't usual). When you get within 20-30 feet start thinking "where would I hide a cache"

That is key. The cache could be as many as 50 or 60 feet from where your GPS says it is, though 10-20 feet is most common.

Edited by briansnat
It's here... I've loaded the latest firmware update, and it fixes position really quickly. It definitely points in the right direction, and it's set on WGS84. Anything else that needs to be done to set it up properly?

Make sure it's set to use the type of batteries you put in it. Then go find the dang cache already. Just be aware that, once you find it, you will never be "normal" again.

Well, a combination of things kept me from really searching for this one today... first: the only places to park are very soft and muddy and I was worried my car would get stuck if I actually stopped the car so I just pulled back onto the road and second: it felt really exposed because there's a house across the street just facing the lot.

I think I'll have better luck searching for one in a park.

Edited by NikkiPoooo

and second: it felt really exposed because there's a house across the street just facing the lot.

You know, i felt the same way when I first started. I thought everyone was watching me and it was actually fairly uncomfotable. Just wait, in a couple months you'll be standing on a busy street corner, bent down, looking through the bushes and feel perfectly normal.

Edited by StClairC

in a couple months you'll be standing on a busy street corner, bent down, looking through the bushes and feel perfectly normal.

Or standing on a very busy street corner searching the traffic light pole that has a nano on it somewhere above your head............makes it look like you're searching for the mother ship (yes, that was us the other day, LOL) I have found that the loonier your actions look, the less likely people are to stare at you for fear of making eye contact with "that nut" :(

Edited by DaFunkyFrogs

Well, a combination of things kept me from really searching for this one today... first: the only places to park are very soft and muddy and I was worried my car would get stuck if I actually stopped the car so I just pulled back onto the road and second: it felt really exposed because there's a house across the street just facing the lot.

I think I'll have better luck searching for one in a park.

Just remember, you are not doing anything illegal. As was said by others, self-conciousness will soon go and you will just get on with the business of searching. In the unlikely event that anyone does approach you, just tell them the truth. You might even recruit another cacher! You don't need to park close to the cache either. It doesn't hurt to park some distance away and walk! :(

Well, it's pretty effing cold today, and my nephew heard us talking about geocaching last night so maybe we'll give this one another go today since the ground is likely to be firmer. I'm taking him to the Detroit zoo and there are a series of caches there too so I think we'll try for those too.

Well, it's pretty effing cold today, and my nephew heard us talking about geocaching last night so maybe we'll give this one another go today since the ground is likely to be firmer. I'm taking him to the Detroit zoo and there are a series of caches there too so I think we'll try for those too.

Hello Nikki

I'm from southeast Michigan too, near Jackson...where are you from and would you like a little help figuring out this caching craze??

Give me a yell and I'd be MORE than happy to come out and meet up with you!

In a related story....we went on our first cache hunt last weekend ourselves:

We should have known better than to aim for a 4.5 star multi on our first weekend caching (GC12MRQ).

The coordinates for the first WP bring you close to a kiddie train & footpath bridge where it crosses the small channel in a local park.

Well, I set my GPS on top of the footbridge and drop underneath where I'm figuring the cache has to be. After about 10 minutes of scrabbling around, I hear the voices of small children on the bridge.

I'm torn at this point. On the one hand, I don't want to draw attention to the fact that I'm skulking around under the bridge. Heaven only knows what people are going to think of that in a city park. On the other hand, my GPSr is sitting on the bridge.

Well, my pragmatic side wins out and I come to a couple of realizations:

1. I might get found anyway and whatever suspicions of my activity will still be there, and:

2. The only way I'm going to have a legitimate story about what I'm doing under the bridge is if I have my GPSr to back up the story.

So, I scramble out from under the bridge and pop my head up to grab the GPSr.

Two Hmong muggle children (this is not meant to be racist, but it is pertinent as we go on), perhaps 8 or 9 years old let out a shriek.

I say "Hi!" in my friendliest, most non-threatening voice.

The Hmong Muggle Mom (say that 10 times fast) standing about 30 feet away doesn't buy the friendly, non-threatening tone. She starts speaking to me very, very fast and very, very loud--in Hmong.

I really, truly wish I spoke Hmong, because this poor woman is clearly upset and I'm not sure if she doesn't understand English or if she just reverts to her native tongue when in a crisis situation. I'm not sure it would matter, though, as I'm trying to speak calmly and softly and she is not.

Well, when it was all said and done I think I made myself look apologetic enough to suit her because she did leave without looking like she was still trying to defend her kids.

This is about the time I quit the search. Naturally. I went back to the car and stuck around for about 15 minutes in case she had contacted the authorities, so I could explain that no, there wasn't a troll hiding under the bridge waiting for the Three Billy Goats Gruff.

Depending on weather, I hope to go back this weekend. I'll certainly have one eye out for muggles this time and will be SURE to keep the Garmin with me at all times.

That is key. The cache could be as many as 50 or 60 feet from where your GPS says it is, though 10-20 feet is most common.

I got a FTF on a cache yesterday for which the owner had written he was having trouble getting good coordinates. He wrote that it was probably within 10-20'. I took a waypoint when I finally found it and sent the coordinates to the owner and he updated them on the page. My coordinates were 119' from the original coordinates and a subsequent finder used mine and found it right away.

On the other hand, I also recently did a series of 7 caches published by the one cacher on the same day. I was caching with another person (with her own GPS) and we both were consistently getting 1-5' to the published location when we found the cache and it one case my GPS read 0ft when I found the cache.

Congratulations!

PS double posts are OK when you find two caches. (in other words, congrates twice)

Well, I should clarify... we never did find the Moon Landing cache, but we did find two today. We found the Bloomer Park one and this one: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...64-b967ba541975 and had a blast doing it.

Congrats!

And now it begins :anibad:

DCC

Soon standing around frisking a street sign will seem quite normal as will wading into the inside of a huge pine tree in a public park with kids all around. I like to take my yorkies with me in a park. The kids fuss over them and then go off and do their own thing, no longer worrying about why the old dude is in the park; answer simple, he's walking his dogs. I would advise against tackling anything on playground equipment if there are kids around, although I did tell one of 'em I was a playground inspector once. Found the micro too. ;-)

Soon standing around frisking a street sign will seem quite normal as will wading into the inside of a huge pine tree in a public park with kids all around. I like to take my yorkies with me in a park. The kids fuss over them and then go off and do their own thing, no longer worrying about why the old dude is in the park; answer simple, he's walking his dogs. I would advise against tackling anything on playground equipment if there are kids around, although I did tell one of 'em I was a playground inspector once. Found the micro too. ;-)

Luckily I've got the nephew to be my beard for kid-oriented site, though he would probably sell me out if he thought it would mean he'd get to find it before me!