Fallen Soldiers Geocoin--Only $5.99!

Eric K

Note: All of the Fallen Heroes Geocoins are pre-activated under a special user account:

Fallen Heroes Geocoins User Account

The coins can not be adopted out of this account. By having them all listed in one place it makes it easier for users that may want to go in and see the list of names and read some of the user comments.

These coins can not be adopted out. The intent of these coins is to travel as a constant memorial and to raise money for charity. We have already donated $800 to Operation Homefront and just ordered another 100 coins so will soon be donating another $100. We hope to eventually have a coin traveling for every one of the military personel that have lost their lives.

I want to thank those of you that have sent kind regards and thanks. I've had a few people send me messages that have been very emotional.

I also want to publically thank the volunteers that have helped with activating the coins. If you get a chance visit the sales link and thank those people.

I am humbled that this project has been able in some small way honor all of these men and women that have lost their lives.

<_<<_< These are for sale on ebay and the TB#'s are being shown as part of the item description. I don't get it, how can you sell something that isn't even yours to begin with?? And aren't people just going to start logging a find on these particular coins?

Hmm, wouldn't be that hard to blank the details of those coins out and replace it with something more appropriate for such an obscene sale, since they wouldn't be the owner. <_<

Just a matter of activating a new set of coins for the fallen heroes being violated by such an absurd sale.

How can anyone be so callous to purchase and then misappropriate such a coin?!? <_<:)

<_<<_< These are for sale on ebay and the TB#'s are being shown as part of the item description. I don't get it, how can you sell something that isn't even yours to begin with?? And aren't people just going to start logging a find on these particular coins?

Unfortunately once a coin is sold I have no control over what people choose to do with them.

What I can say you can choose to buy the coin on E-bay with the starting price of $9.99 or buy a new one for $5.99 and know that $1 of that sale will go to charity.

We plan on keeping these coins stocked so they are not sold out.

Edited by Eric K

That disgusts me. How could someone not just release them to travel and spread the word...

I can't wait to get mine to put in our cache to start travelling. I knew when I paid for them a portion was going to a great cause and we would always remember the young hero's honored by these nice coins.

I received my coins in the mail yesterday. They look awesome and its for such a great cause. I've never released a coin in the wild before but these are definitely going to hit a cache soon to honor these fallen heroes!

Eric, i'm going to contact you about one of the coins. The link doesn't work for the information on one of my soldiers. I'll let you know which one so it can be corrected.

Thanks for putting such a wonderful tribute together. This has to be one of the best coin ideas out there.

For those that are selling these on ebay..that is absurd. What is worse is if anyone purchases any of those coins on ebay!!

I lucked out and received my order of coins on Thursday, which gave me enough time to prep them with little laminated cards before attending a military appreciation parade in Raleigh, NC on Saturday morning and then sharing the coins at a geocaching picnic event in the evening.

While I had managed to not shed a tear while activating hundreds of these coins assisting in this great project, standing alongside the parade route watching column after column of soldiers, support staff and family marching past brought a tear to my eye many a time.

Seven of the coins left the geocaching event in the hands of solemn cachers, many of whom have ties to the military, which is pretty common given the number of bases in the eastern part of the state. Three coins were left, I'll attempt to take them to an upcoming Airborne event to get them properly on the road.

Thanks again for this great coin. Here's a few pics of the coins before and after, a shot of the color guard representing many branches of the military and one of the soldiers of the NC based Airborne division.

CoinsBefore.jpg

CoinsAfter.jpg

AllServices.jpg

Airborne.jpg

We received our coins that are in honor of two of our family members who lost their lives in Iraq. They will be traveling very soon.

When I saw that there were several of them listed on ebay, I just couldn't believe it. It's such a sad and DISHONORABLE thing to do to profit in this way. Makes me sick. :)

Did anyone receive a coin for a soldier from Maine? I would dearly like to touch one or get it circulating here in Maine.

Since there are very few listed from Maine (30 or so) and even fewer from the first few years, hard to find many to pick from as the coins are being activated in a mostly chronological fashion.

Here's the ones I could track down:

TB29CZ3: Master Sgt. Evander E. Andrews (looks to be headed to an event in Alabama)

TB29D0C: Spec. Daniel Francis J. Cunningham (in the hands of a cacher from Texas)

TB29CDR: Maj. Jay T. Aubin (coin has not been grabbed yet)

TB29CFJ: Spec. Christopher D. Gelineau (coin has not been grabbed yet)

TB29CEA: Sgt. Nicholes D. Golding (coin has not been grabbed yet)

TB29D3D: Spec. Jeremiah J. Holmes (coin has not been grabbed yet)

To find them, I went to the washington post site (linked from all the coin pages), and did an advanced search by state and year of death. Then just a matter of using the name to search for trackables. Currently the activated coins are up to somewhere in the April 2004 range.

Did anyone receive a coin for a soldier from Maine? I would dearly like to touch one or get it circulating here in Maine.

I just looked my 5 up and of course, I had to shed a tear or two :) . I have 2 from Texas, 1 from Virginia, 1 from New Jersey and 1 from Ohio.

I'd appreciate any one with one from WA state to let me know.

Since there are very few listed from Maine (30 or so) and even fewer from the first few years, hard to find many to pick from as the coins are being activated in a mostly chronological fashion.

Here's the ones I could track down:

TB29CZ3: Master Sgt. Evander E. Andrews (looks to be headed to an event in Alabama)

TB29D0C: Spec. Daniel Francis J. Cunningham (in the hands of a cacher from Texas)

TB29CDR: Maj. Jay T. Aubin (coin has not been grabbed yet)

TB29CFJ: Spec. Christopher D. Gelineau (coin has not been grabbed yet)

TB29CEA: Sgt. Nicholes D. Golding (coin has not been grabbed yet)

TB29D3D: Spec. Jeremiah J. Holmes (coin has not been grabbed yet)

To find them, I went to the washington post site (linked from all the coin pages), and did an advanced search by state and year of death. Then just a matter of using the name to search for trackables. Currently the activated coins are up to somewhere in the April 2004 range.

Your time to do this research is truly appreciated. :) Thank you - I will keep watching.

Your time to do this research is truly appreciated. :lol: Thank you - I will keep watching.

Forget to mention that yeah, adding them to your watchlist wouldn't hurt, or maybe ping the person holding the one going to an event to see if they can find someone vacationing up in the NE over the summer to get it headed your way...

:lol:;) These are for sale on ebay and the TB#'s are being shown as part of the item description. I don't get it, how can you sell something that isn't even yours to begin with?? And aren't people just going to start logging a find on these particular coins?

Unfortunately once a coin is sold I have no control over what people choose to do with them.

What I can say you can choose to buy the coin on E-bay with the starting price of $9.99 or buy a new one for $5.99 and know that $1 of that sale will go to charity.

I am shocked that people would stoop as low as to sell these on eBay - and make a profit from them! The auctions talks about their feelings to have seen these coins, and gesture behind it all, but then they have it listed on ebay to sell at a profit! :) That is just sick and wrong. If anything it is highly offensive what they are doing, and it shows these people have no morals!

:lol::) These are for sale on ebay and the TB#'s are being shown as part of the item description. I don't get it, how can you sell something that isn't even yours to begin with?? And aren't people just going to start logging a find on these particular coins?

I am shocked that people would stoop as low as to sell these on eBay - and make a profit from them! The auctions talks about their feelings to have seen these coins, and gesture behind it all, but then they have it listed on ebay to sell at a profit! :D That is just sick and wrong. If anything it is highly offensive what they are doing, and it shows these people have no morals!

Just had to look. I wonder who we may know who lives in "Chino Hills, CA, United States". I know we can't rat anyone out. I am just hoping that this seller isn't one of "US" THAT would be truly frustrating ;)

I actually sent a question to the "seller" and they told me that it didn't matter that he was selling them, that the money was already donated from his original purpose and didn't see anything wrong with it..... :laughing:

Good for your part . . . Bad on their part B)B)

Very bad on their part!! I guess the coin wasn't really that moving to them then!!! (Except maybe for the dollar signs).

Sorry for taking this OT, but it really makes me mad how people can stoop so low sometimes.

Edited by keewee

If someone is selling these on Ebay - they should be reported to Ebay for selling stolen property. What is to keep them from next just going to a cache, removing coins and selling those as well?

Recently, there has been at least one seller who has sold at least 2 coins on the Eplace as "Unactived" coins and both were owned and activated. The purchaser worked with the seller and owners to sort of fix it - but you are right - IMHO this is selling stolen property.

Well, in theory the coins were purchased from USA Geocoins by the ebay lister, so they "own" the coins, but since they hadn't yet been "grabbed" from the FHG profile that activated the coin, kind of hard to prove "ownership" versus just lifting a coin out of a cache.

Unless USA Geocoins has a database that matches coin codes to purchasers, not much one can do to prevent the sale of pilfered coins from caches that don't yet have any logs. :)

Not saying that the ebay lister pilfered the listed coins, just saying there isn't any way to prove either way. :)

You think about it and WE realize that these coins can Never be adopted. If the buyer doesn't frequent our forums, they have No idea of that :D I know it's "buyer be ware" but I fell sorry for them. The poor saps probably think they are buying a special coin , perhaps wanting to honor one of their loved ones :D:) .

Fairyhoney

I put in my reservation today for the batch due out at the end of May. I really like the look of the coin, the cause it is associated with, and the support shown here from everyone.

My husband is in the US Army and lost a dear friend in Iraq a couple of years ago. Knowing that all those that served and died are being honored in this way really hits close to home.

Thank you for creating such a wonderful way for this to be done.

dflye, I hope you don't mind, when I get my coins in I want to copy your idea and put an info sheet with a picture of the soldier as well.

Just as an update.

The first 800 coins have all been sold! You guys are awesome!

Another order of 100 coins are on the way with an ETA of late May. You can still make reservations and we will send an invoice once the coins arrive.

Thank you

USA Geocoins

There is someone selling these on ebay as "Unactivated" and they state that the Activation Code will come an with the receipt. Were any of these coins sold Unactivated or is this individual being a little Misleading? :)

Edited by Sunrayers

I have written logs for 2 of the 5 coins I purchased and NEITHER of the links work?? Why is that and can it be fixed?

Here is one of them:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...e8-db7c824d57a6

Just looked at that coin, and the link to the washingtonpost was missing a character in the URL. I've corrected that and verified the link works.

Not sure if that means I originally activated that coin and setup the URL incorrectly, or if they've changed some of them over time. :):) That particular coin was in one of the earliest batches of coins I setup, so maybe I fat fingered the data, who knows.

What's the other coin that is having issues, should be able to fix that in a jiffy as well.

There is someone selling these on ebay as "Unactivated" and they state that the Activation Code will come an with the receipt. Were any of these coins sold Unactivated or is this individual being a little Misleading? :)

The profile for these coins shows that all 800 in the original batch have been activated. The volunteers are working on the second batch of 100 that only started being sent out yesterday so I doubt the listing would be for one of those coins.

I can not speak for anyone selling the coins on E-bay. However as stated on the sales page for these coins they are all activated on the special account that has been set up for them.

You may wish to contact the seller and ask for verification.

Also, these coins will continue to be sold via our site, they are not a limited item.

I have written logs for 2 of the 5 coins I purchased and NEITHER of the links work?? Why is that and can it be fixed?

Here is one of them:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...e8-db7c824d57a6

Just looked at that coin, and the link to the washingtonpost was missing a character in the URL. I've corrected that and verified the link works.

Not sure if that means I originally activated that coin and setup the URL incorrectly, or if they've changed some of them over time. :):) That particular coin was in one of the earliest batches of coins I setup, so maybe I fat fingered the data, who knows.

What's the other coin that is having issues, should be able to fix that in a jiffy as well.

Thanks for the fix dflye.

With activating at what is now 900 coins occasionally an error may pop up. Feel free to contact support at usageocoins dot com if you have any coins where the links aren't working so we can get them fixed.

Thanks!

A little misleading??? They knew when they ordered the coins that they were already activated--says so on the order page. I would call claiming that they are unactivated a LIE.

(none of the coins were sold unactivated)

A little misleading??? They knew when they ordered the coins that they were already activated--says so on the order page. I would call claiming that they are unactivated a LIE.

Wow, I just looked up that auction. The bid is up to $12.98 for a coin that is still available for $5.99.

His description does say this:

This geocoin will be shipped complete with it's activation code printed on the packing slip. The coin can be activated on Geocaching.com when it arrives and a unique icon will be added to your Geocaching profile.

A few things are incorrect if anyone wants to let the seller know.

1. The seller can not even have the activation code. These coins were not shipped with the activation code and the only people that would have even known any of the activation codes are the volunteers that pre-activated the coins.

The coins were sold with the standard slip that says you can retrieve the code at www.coincodes.com. However since they are pre-activated if you do go to coincodes.com for these coins it will take you to information on the coin.

2. The coin CAN NOT be activated under your profile. ALL of these coins are 'owned' by the special user account that was setup for them and can not be adopted out.

USA Geocoins is not responsible for how the seller lists this coin on ebay.

Wow, I just looked up that auction. The bid is up to $12.98 for a coin that is still available for $5.99.

This geocoin will be shipped complete with it's activation code printed on the packing slip. The coin can be activated on Geocaching.com when it arrives and a unique icon will be added to your Geocaching profile.

1. The seller can not even have the activation code. These coins were not shipped with the activation code and the only people that would have even known any of the activation codes are the volunteers that pre-activated the coins.

The coins were sold with the standard slip that says you can retrieve the code at www.coincodes.com. However since they are pre-activated if you do go to coincodes.com for these coins it will take you to information on the coin.

2. The coin CAN NOT be activated under your profile. ALL of these coins are 'owned' by the special user account that was setup for them and can not be adopted out.

I wrote the seller and asked him if, in fact, the coin was "Unactivated" because, to my knowledge, all these coins were shipped Activated! He replied "The Activation Code can be retrieved @ www.coincodes.com" I just feel sorry for the Bidder!

I wrote the seller and asked him if, in fact, the coin was "Unactivated" because, to my knowledge, all these coins were shipped Activated! He replied "The Activation Code can be retrieved @ www.coincodes.com" I just feel sorry for the Bidder!

Like they say buyer beware. Maybe you can tell him when you go to coincodes.com and click on the link for the Fallen Heroes coins this is the first thing you see.

Note: All of the Fallen Heroes Geocoins are pre-activated under a

Special Geocaching.com user account

I guess that will be an issue between the seller, the buyer, and E-bay.

Here are our two coins ready to start traveling tomorrow.

th_fallenherocoins.jpg

Anybody have a quick template to use to create the little sheets? I'm sure I could figure it out by measuring the coin case, but I'd rather not waste paper and ink through trial and error.

Here are our two coins ready to start traveling tomorrow.

th_fallenherocoins.jpg

Anybody have a quick template to use to create the little sheets? I'm sure I could figure it out by measuring the coin case, but I'd rather not waste paper and ink through trial and error.

I've put a sample Word doc up on my website, meant for two sided printing where the sheet of paper makes two passes through the printer, so the pic/name/date is on one side, and a short blurb is on the reverse.

The font sizes on the picture side vary a bit, as I was cropping the photos from the Washington Post site to get as much detail as possible, and some of the names/ranks wanted to wrap to several lines more than others.

Sized with a bit of leeway to fit in the pocket on the coin flip after a trip through the laminator.

Fallen coin insert template Word doc

Hi, I received my coin today. Took a while to figure out what to do and where to find it :D , but I finally figured it out. This is a great idea; hat's off to those who started this. I'm a US Army veteran and I salute you for your support to our troops. My coin will hit the trail tomorrow (as it's raining and muddy today). My coin honor's LCpl Ruben Valdez, Jr. of San Diego, CA.

Also, thanks to dflye for the template.

Ally

Michigan

Thanks to all of your kindness we have now donated $900 to Operation Homefront and activated coins to honor 900 individuals.

USA Geocoins is now taking reservations for the Polished Nickel Version of the Fallen Heroes Geocoins.

Fallen Heroes Polished Nickel Geocoin Reservations

As we stated with the original sale our goal is to have a coin out for every member of the military that has lost thier lives in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Thank you all for all of your support with this project. ESPECIALLY the volunteers that have helped activate 900 coins!!! This would not be possible without these fine folks.

Thank you!

USA Geocoins

Thanks to all of your kindness we have now donated $900 to Operation Homefront and activated coins to honor 900 individuals.

USA Geocoins is now taking reservations for the Polished Nickel Version of the Fallen Heroes Geocoins.

As we stated with the original sale our goal is to have a coin out for every member of the military that has lost thier lives in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Thank you all for all of your support with this project. ESPECIALLY the volunteers that have helped activate 900 coins!!! This would not be possible without these fine folks.

Thank you!

USA Geocoins

Eric,

So how much money do you make on these coins? You sell the coins to people but they can't claim them as their own, you then donate $1 to OHF after you pocket $2-3. you use volunteers to activate the coins?? why not let the people who paid for them activate the coins? . You sicken me

Well, I'm pretty frustrated with this. I purchased five coins but cannot activate them because they technically aren' t mine, and the "owner" hasn't gotten around to getting them all activated.

I really wanted to drop thiese at GW VI.

I'm beginning to think they are a rip off!

Valerie

Thank you!

USA Geocoins

Eric,

So how much money do you make on these coins? You sell the coins to people but they can't claim them as their own, you then donate $1 to OHF after you pocket $2-3. you use volunteers to activate the coins?? why not let the people who paid for them activate the coins? . You sicken me

Well let's teach you some basic math.

Coin selling price $5.99

$1.00 of each coin sold to charity.

Coin price now at $4.99

$1.50 of each coin is the price of tracking numbers.

Coin price is now at $3.49

So if I'm making $2 to $3 per coin as you say that means I'm getting the coins minted for about 49 cents each.

If you don't get the point of these coins then don't buy them.

I am PROUD of the fact that we have in some small way created a memorial for 900 soldiers that have lost their lives and have another 300 coins on the way in.

That will mean that 1200 people have been memorialized and that $1200 would have been donated to Operation Homefront to help the families of some of these men and women.

You only care that you don't 'own' the coin. You, sir, sicken me!

Edited by Eric K