British army Dog tags

Hi All,

I'm new to all this but been hooked early on, Where it all going to end midnight geo caching up everest!!! ???

My question is that I have a spare set of dog tags that belong to me I would like to send one west and one east and then back to me one day.Does any one have any advice on registring these and would it be a simple job of marking one 1 and the other 2 for example at the moment they are identical.

Kind Regards

Ian

... and when you release your Dog Tags into the wild it would be a good idea to attach some sort of extra label or tag to each one stating in which direction it wants to travel.

... and remember that a lot of TBs do go missing, so if these Dog Tags have any special sentimental value think twice about whether you're happy to let them loose to wander.

MrsB <_<

I would also add that if I were you, I'd attach something else to the tags too - 2 tags on a chain would soon get lost in all the tat (I mean treasure!) in a cache.

Having something else atatched too would make it stand out - perhaps attach it to a small toy soldier, or a teddy dressed as a soldier etc???

I would also add that if I were you, I'd attach something else to the tags too - 2 tags on a chain would soon get lost in all the tat (I mean treasure!) in a cache.

Having something else atatched too would make it stand out - perhaps attach it to a small toy soldier, or a teddy dressed as a soldier etc???

Dog tags sound 'hard'. Even a toy soldier sounds 'hard'. But a teddy bear.... "Halt! Or be de-fluffed!"

Sorry to put a dampner on this one but...

(Swing lamp, sit on sandbag) Dont dogtags still have all your personal details on them? ie: number rank name. and if so couldnt someone use this info to track you down via MOD, and wouldnt that leave you open to abuse from horrible people who maybe dont appreciate what you lads and lasses do.

Only a thought mate, please dont think I want to p on your parade or anything. Just thought it was something to consider.

Anyway as we old folk used to say "Stag on"

Hi All,

I'm new to all this but been hooked early on, Where it all going to end midnight geo caching up everest!!! ???

My question is that I have a spare set of dog tags that belong to me I would like to send one west and one east and then back to me one day.Does any one have any advice on registring these and would it be a simple job of marking one 1 and the other 2 for example at the moment they are identical.

Kind Regards

Ian

How do you get a number registered for a trackable item? Are they issued by 'Groundspeak' to the people who make the TB's and Geocoins............if I wanted to make something a trackable item with it's own number and didn't want to use a TB of a geocoin how would I do it?

You still have to buy the TB tags & activate them, but you could just put the tracking number on whatever you wanted to use. It's the number that's important, not the actual tags. Don't show the number in the picture on the TB page though!

However, it does annoy me when people buy geocoins and just release a laminate card and keep the coin. They usually get a snotty email from me.

You still have to buy the TB tags & activate them, but you could just put the tracking number on whatever you wanted to use. It's the number that's important, not the actual tags. Don't show the number in the picture on the TB page though!

However, it does annoy me when people buy geocoins and just release a laminate card and keep the coin. They usually get a snotty email from me.

Thanks, but where do the trackable numbers come from?

Do they come from Groundspeak or do the TB and Geocoin manufacturers give them to someone!!! who makes them trackable on the web.........how does this process work? Does anyone know?

Tracking codes do indeed come straight from Groundspeak - coin and tb manufacturers have to buy them in bulk from there. You can find out the exact details here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=116641

With a 100 code purchase minimum it probably wouldn't be a good idea for what you have in mind. The best way, as has already been suggested would be to get hold of a trackable item (geocoin or travel bug) and just use its tracking code. One thing to bear in mind though is the original icon associated with that tracking code would appear on the profile of anyone helping your dog tags on their way.

Ian

Tracking codes do indeed come straight from Groundspeak - coin and tb manufacturers have to buy them in bulk from there. You can find out the exact details here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=116641

With a 100 code purchase minimum it probably wouldn't be a good idea for what you have in mind. The best way, as has already been suggested would be to get hold of a trackable item (geocoin or travel bug) and just use its tracking code. One thing to bear in mind though is the original icon associated with that tracking code would appear on the profile of anyone helping your dog tags on their way.

Ian

Thanks, this is what I was after :)

To TheWhoUK: I'm not sure if you're still serving, but bear in mind that even if you're dog-tags are 'spare' they belong to the MOD, not you, just like you're ID card. Unlike your ID, you can be charged for losing your dog-tags (particularly as you'll be attaching them to a TB tag, and advertising the fact online)

I know we all end up with a few 'spare' sets, but remember there are more than a few Brit servicemen who also go geocaching (myself included, although only recently), and you only need some officer with a stick up his rear, and a good grasp of military law, for you to get deep in the brown smelly stuff.

Bear this in mind before you go any further. (Even if you have got out, remember with stuff like this you're still subject to military law for the full 22)

Edited by EvilTwin1974