Cache owner etiquette

Delta68

Do you bother to contact the cacher if a DNF is logged on one of your caches?...

No.

Not unless it's obvious from their log that they were in exactly the right spot and therefore I suspect that it must have been muggled. As Scottpa commented above, sometimes you can guess that the DNF is down to inexperience: If a "newbie" cacher logs DNFs on a few of our (rather awkward) caches I usually get in touch with a few words of encouragement and maybe an extra hint for them. :anibad:

MrsB :D

Snip/ If a "newbie" cacher logs DNFs on a few of our (rather awkward) caches I usually get in touch with a few words of encouragement and maybe an extra hint for them. :anibad:

We do similar or just do a quick maintenance check and post it as such. If the cache is looked at again, or viewed by others, they can see that its ok and won't Be wasting their time with a potential DNF.

H

If the DNF lead me to think something needs checking out id go out first before responding on the cache page or via email.

If the cache or stage was still in place i would offer additional hints via email and ask if the hint needed modifiying as things vary throughout the year (one of our caches grew a covering of grass once) if it was not then maintainance would be perfomed and a suitable note placed on the cache page.

... responding on the cache page or via email.

I'm looking forward to that.

:anibad:

:D:D shhhhh we got to stage 9 last week but darkenss descended and there was muggle boat just mooring nearby so we went home after doing cachers tails.

Stage ten has in the past developed additional camoflage but its never gone missing.

November 11, 2006 by markandlynn (559 found)

Checked on final stages found them all as we had left them. Time has helped with the camoflage making stage 10 a bit harder to find our disturbace should help the next cachers.

Will delete the clutter on the page after posting this note.

Dropped some TB's in as we have had them a bit to long.

[view/edit logs/images on a separate page]

[upload an image for this log]

November 5, 2006 by dmsstonerambler (1096 found)

Used the route of the geocache for a leisurely walk for the Ramblers - it's ideal for a very flat gentle walk (my group enjoyed the walk and like the idea of geocaching without necessarily wanting to do it - took the opportunity to check on the micros and they all seemed to be okay - where we came upon Harley D searching in vain but in the right place - somebody has been tidying and its possible the micro has been tidied up -anyway thanks for providing a great cache but also the basis for a nice gentle walk cheers dms

[view this log on a separate page]

November 5, 2006 by Harley D (242 found)

Set out from parking at the obvious "watering hole", left behind a group of ramblers about to set off on a walk.....watch this space. having attempted this one before and got to part 3 but couldn't find it, gave up. Having read the recent maintenance work on this cache decided to attempt again. While walking between 2 - 3 found that i had left the cache page / information in the car, so had to run back to get it, passing said ramblers on the way. Picked up cache page, ran back to part three whereupon bumped into ramblers again, who turned out to be with "dmsstoneramblers", fortunately for us.....more later.

Passed them on our way to parts 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. where we were then passed enroute to 9, having found this part we then repayed the compliment by passing them enroute to part 10. This is where our good fortune comes into play (e-mail on its way to mark and lynn), part 10 is missing and "dms" had the good fortune to have with him the co-ords from the last time he did this cache, so onto the final part. found it with out any log cover. Left:- Ugly Duck TB, Took:- Hershey TB. TFTC, Good Series. Eddie(185th)

[view this log on a separate page]

Edited by markandlynn

Do you bother to contact the cacher if a DNF is logged on one of your caches?

We do, as it just seems good manners (not that we have many on our high quality hides :D ) .

If my recent (ish) experiences after logging a DNF on one particular cache are anything to go by, no, you put a mocking note on the cache page saying they are stupid because they couldn't find it and thus invite ridicule from future cachers. Hasn't put me off, I still managed a few DNFs at the weekend, LOL :D

Now, if you will excuse me, I am off to hide a micro in the woods with a clue of 'to the right of the tree' and sharpen up my mocking skills for when the DNFs roll in! :(

I've noticed that there are a few cachers that even when there are a number of DNF's on their caches, they don't bother to check them.

If i get a DNF on any of my caches, i'll go out ASAP and double check. I suppose i don't like other cachers feeling disappointed

[ And yes today was my worst day caching for DNF's!] :laughing::anibad::laughing:

I've noticed that there are a few cachers that even when there are a number of DNF's on their caches, they don't bother to check them.

If i get a DNF on any of my caches, i'll go out ASAP and double check. I suppose i don't like other cachers feeling disappointed

I usually wait until I've had two consecutive DNF logs. IMO one isn't enough unless you're pretty sure the cacher was looking in the right place or has found evidence that the cache is muggled.

Anyone can have a bad day. I've logged a few DNFs on caches that were there and I've found straight away on a return visit :laughing:

I usually wait until I've had two consecutive DNF logs. IMO one isn't enough unless you're pretty sure the cacher was looking in the right place or has found evidence that the cache is muggled.

Anyone can have a bad day. I've logged a few DNFs on caches that were there and I've found straight away on a return visit :laughing:

We usually do the same, but it does vary cache to cache.... we do have the odd one that is more tricky to find than normal and we let these ride a little longer. Re the mocking logs mentioned above... hardly seems sporting... IMHO. MaxKim

We usually do the same, but it does vary cache to cache.... we do have the odd one that is more tricky to find than normal and we let these ride a little longer. Re the mocking logs mentioned above... hardly seems sporting... IMHO. MaxKim

That's what I thought, but I didn't think it as politely as that! <_<

That nice Maxkim sent me a pleasant email after a recent DNF of one of their caches, even though my DNF log was decidedly grumpy and sulky, LOL :) To turn this discussion on it's head, I generally email cache owners if I have a DNF and I suspect that the cache may actually be gone, rather than I am just being rubbish! I reckon polite communication is the name of the game here!

Do you bother to contact the cacher if a DNF is logged on one of your caches?...

No.

Not unless it's obvious from their log that they were in exactly the right spot and therefore I suspect that it must have been muggled. As Scottpa commented above, sometimes you can guess that the DNF is down to inexperience: If a "newbie" cacher logs DNFs on a few of our (rather awkward) caches I usually get in touch with a few words of encouragement and maybe an extra hint for them. :laughing:

Do you mean me Mrs B?!?!?!?

No.

.... sometimes you can guess that the DNF is down to inexperience: If a "newbie" cacher logs DNFs on a few of our (rather awkward) caches I usually get in touch with a few words of encouragement and maybe an extra hint for them. <_<

MrsB :P

Do you mean me Mrs B?!?!?!?

You? smiley-rofl.gif

No, Satellite Kid - You just persevere and find it eventually. In fact, quite often you seem to find more than you bargained for and then write a funny log about it ;) MrsB