If you had the choice, what would you do?

Jolly Roger

>.>

Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.

It's a lot cheaper than the Colorado, and it's got a lot of good reviews from users. Cachers and non alike.

If I had to choose between the two units you mentioned.. Prolly the Colorado, but that's just because it's the other unit I was drooling over when I got my Vista.

**EDIT (of doom!)** On learning about Wherigo.. Uh. TOTALLY the Colorado. That looks like fun. :blink:

Edited by Zolgar
Ok, I'm brand spanking new to geocaching and have a pretty simple question. If you had the money, would you either:

A. Buy a 60c sx

or

B. Buy a Colorado 400T?

The 60CSx, hands down.

Any reason why which over the other?
I owned a 60CSx briefly, before I oh-so-stupidly put it on top of the trunk of my car and drove off and lost it. And I really liked it.

After reading the dozens of threads about the Colorado in the GPS Units and Software forum for the past month, a few things are clear: (1) it was released waaaay before it was ready, and (more importantly) (2) it's apparently not meant to be a step up from the 60CSx -- it's just something different from it. A lot of the things that the 60CSx can do and do very well, the Colorado does not do and will never do, and the absence of those features would drive me nuts.

Ok, I'm brand spanking new to geocaching and have a pretty simple question. If you had the money, would you either:

A. Buy a 60c sx

or

B. Buy a Colorado 400T?

Thanks for your help!

I would buy a Magellan Explorist 500LE from costco.com $119.00 is about the best price around for a mapping color GPS with an SC slot.

Unlees you plan on getting into Wherigo, it would stay away from the colorado.

....After reading the dozens of threads about the Colorado in the GPS Units and Software forum for the past month, a few things are clear: (1) it was released waaaay before it was ready,...

I'm beginning to think they should put "Runs on Windos Vista" stickers on the Colorado. Then we could all say "oh, that explains it".

Your second point (not quoted) is a good one. If I had to buy Today it's bet that the Colorado will eventually get it right and not drive me nuts before that vs. a 60 series that just works. I'd probably go 60Cx. (Don't need the Sx)

Edited by Renegade Knight

....After reading the dozens of threads about the Colorado in the GPS Units and Software forum for the past month, a few things are clear: (1) it was released waaaay before it was ready,...

I'm beginning to think they should put "Runs on Windos Vista" stickers on the Colorado. Then we could all say "oh, that explains it".

Your second point (not quoted) is a good one. If I had to buy Today it's bet that the Colorado will eventually get it right and not drive me nuts before that vs. a 60 series that just works. I'd probably go 60Cx. (Don't need the Sx)

Best explanation I've heard!

I'm still not sure what I want to do. I agree totally that eventually they will work out the bugs, so I'm torn between spending the extra $100 or so and waiting it out or using a the 60csx for a few years till the next Colorado series comes out... I must say you all have me leaning towards the 60csx so far. *sigh*

Wait a while before deciding.

Curse you! j/k :D

I've been sitting on the fence for about a week. I told myself if I could find the Colorado for $450 I'd go for it... 487 is getting so close...

(Yes I'm way too much like a kid when it comes to my tech toys haha)

I know, I Know. Once I'm ready to buy I want to buy.

Here's my opinion. If I already had a gps and I wanted to buy the C, I would wait. A long time. Let everyone else work out the bugs.

If I didn't own a gps I'd go with a proven unit first.

I'd go to a store that had a lifetime return policy (such as L.L.Bean or R.E.I.) and get the Colorado if they had one (and pay a little more). If they didn't, then I'd get a 60csx and return it as soon as they started carrying the Colorado. If it wasnt any good... well, then I'd take it back.. :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

A. Buy a 60c sx

or

B. Buy a Colorado 400T?

Thanks for your help!

Neither, I would stay with my Lowrance iFinder Hunt

Best explanation I've heard!

I'm still not sure what I want to do. I agree totally that eventually they will work out the bugs, so I'm torn between spending the extra $100 or so and waiting it out or using a the 60csx for a few years till the next Colorado series comes out... I must say you all have me leaning towards the 60csx so far. *sigh*

I would put the extra $100.00 toward new hiking boots

Ask yourself how many of these folks own and use a Colorado??

and.....

How many have read a few rants on a message board about it.

We all make buying decisions based on what we read about a product.

For instance, even though I know that there are thousands of people who are delighted with their Magellan units and would never part with them, I myself would never buy a Magellan -- simply because I have read "a few rants" about their customer service. (Well, more than a few.)

The OP did not ask "Of people that have owned both of these models, which of these would you buy again if you had choose between the two?"

He did not even ask "Of people who have owned both of these models, which do you think I should buy?"

All he asked was, of anyone out there, which of these two would you rather get, and why. With the question framed so loosely, answers are bound to come from people who have owned one, or the other, or both, or neither.

I love my Garmin 60CSx and think it is easily the best GPS out there for caching.

If I just wanted the latest toy, or I were wanting to play Wherigo, I would get the Colorado 400t ---in a few months, when all the kinks have been worked out. I probably would not consider the other models. If it's true that the Colorado doesn't use the calender feature and doesn't allow you to mark a cache as found on the spot, I wouldn't be very happy with it for general caching.

The PDA feature on the Colorado sounds mildly cool, but I'd want to see how it works before that excite me too much. I carry a PDA now; it's no real problem to have that second piece of equipment, since I don't need it all the time anyway, and really like the way it works (Plus I can use it for non-caching uses as well). I can already put some of the cache details on the 60CSx, so I don't have to refer back to my PDA as often anyway.

The 3-D topo maps on the Colorado don't do much for me; they look cartoonish and cluttered. It's the visual learner in me, I think. Or perhaps the science teacher who is used to the paper maps.

I would still continue to use my 60 for geocaching. It does all that I need it to do.

Some people I know and trust discuss your question here.

Well thanks for the great responses! I have to say I am still very unsure of which way I want to go. On one hand I think the 400t would be a nice unit once everything gets worked out, but I know the 60csx has a great track record. I love the idea of paperless caching and only have the single unit with the 400t as well. Another and one of the biggest reasons I am looking at the 400t is that I dont want to buy a GPS unit and end up wanting to replace it with the 400t once it all clears up lol. Oh well, thanks again!!

Edited by mwerten8778

Well As I have had a E trex vista antique for awhile that is a serial port model, And my very 1st unit was a very old trimble that I paid almost a grand for when gps's were 1st being developed. I have been around GPS for a few years.

Anyway I did my research and decided to go with a Delorme PN-20 today.

I already own a Sprint Mogul phone PDA with internet and e-mail items on it plus its GPS capable.

So I used to suggest the 60csx but changing my mind now. see how my review of this new unit turns out.

Edited by rambrush

If it's true that the Colorado doesn't use the calender feature and doesn't allow you to mark a cache as found on the spot, I wouldn't be very happy with it for general caching.

Garmin has fixed this issue. You can make caches as found, did not find, need maintenance and unattempted right on th Colorado. Then you can download your finds from the Colorado to geocaching.com and then write your logs if you want. The cache descriptions, logs and hints all on the Colorado means I can take nothing else other than my Colorado 400t with me caching. I found a cache earlier in the week that ou need the combination for the lok on it and was able toget it on the cache description on my Colorad.A Friend of mine attemped the cache ealier that day but could not because he did not print out description and the locks combination. I think the Garmin has and continues to work hard to make the Colorado the most cacher friendly GPS out there.

A. Buy a 60csxCx :laughing: <-----

or

B. Buy a Colorado 400T?

Thanks for your help!

/\

l

l

There! All better! That's the GPS to get. The only difference between the two is that CSx has a barometric altimeter, which can be really handy if for some reason you need an accurate elevation reading. But, if you don't need a super accurate elevation reading hardly ever, then go with the Cx. Plus, CSx is about $100 more, and all you get is the altimeter.

Edited by Arndtwe

Hey all, I just wanted to say again, thank you very much for the info!! I made my up my mind and went to the REI website and purchased the Colorado there. I figure with the lifetime return policy and the 10% back from being a member it was worth it. If it turns out to be a lemon I know I'll be taken care of and can exchange it around. Thanks again, and happy caching!

A. Buy a 60csxCx :anibad: <-----

or

B. Buy a Colorado 400T?

Thanks for your help!

/\

l

l

There! All better! That's the GPS to get. The only difference between the two is that CSx has a barometric altimeter, which can be really handy if for some reason you need an accurate elevation reading. But, if you don't need a super accurate elevation reading hardly ever, then go with the Cx. Plus, CSx is about $100 more, and all you get is the altimeter.

But the Cx doesn't have electronic compass either like the CSx

Edited by barnabasbenn

A. Buy a 60csxCx :anibad: <-----

or

B. Buy a Colorado 400T?

Thanks for your help!

/\

l

l

This is true, but I find that it is not needed. I mean seriously, if you need to know which way north is in the first place, chances are you can move around to get a bearing. If you can't move around to get a bearing, then you can't move to go where you want. So what's the point of paying extra for that feature?

Ask yourself how many of these folks own and use a Colorado??

and.....

How many have read a few rants on a message board about it.

This weekend I went and looked at the Colorado side by side with a 60.

The Colorado's menu system was kludgy. To many layers and keys to scroll, press, scroll to do much of anything. The 60 Series has it beat. Hands down.

Then I compared the screens. I liked the larger screen of the Colorad, but I can see the screen on the 60 much, much better. The 60 Series has it beat hands down.

Then I tried to do a couple of things. Like swith to a pointer map instead of just the map screen and enter a waypoint. The Colorado again lost. The colorado has potential and maybe some day could be a contender. That day isn't here. That said I didn't find the 60 itself enough of an upgrade from my GPS V to upgrade from so I'm still happy to wait for the GPS VI that looks less and less likely as time goes by.

This is true, but I find that it is not needed. I mean seriously, if you need to know which way north is in the first place, chances are you can move around to get a bearing. If you can't move around to get a bearing, then you can't move to go where you want. So what's the point of paying extra for that feature?

Just me.I've been using my old Legend and I'm gonna buy the CSx for the quality of the antenna and all the other things that come with it.I know the Cx has the same antenna but I figure get it all while I can I guess,tax returns only come once a year and I don't want to regret anything-also I dream of the CSx-call me obsessed-Keep On Cachin' !!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by barnabasbenn

Just me.I've been using my old Legend and I'm gonna buy the CSx for the quality of the antenna and all the other things that come with it.I know the Cx has the same antenna but I figure get it all while I can I guess,tax returns only come once a year and I don't want to regret anything-also I dream of the CSx-call me obsessed-Keep On Cachin' !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I guess you're right. If you have the money to buy a Cx then you can probably afford the CSx.

P.S. I actually dream about the Cx :laughing: