Up for Adoption!

Kojones

Hello-

I have adopted one cache so far from someone who had to move too far away. This user posted a note to the cache saying that if anyone wanted to adopt it, they could. I was able to get it back up to par with a new log and plastic bag. If I hadn't adopted it, this great cache would have been archived!

I propose a section on Geocaching.com that shows caches up for adoption. The owner could select a check-box to say it is up for adoption and users could then search for these caches and contact the owner to actually adopt.

I think this would be a great way to save some great caches that would otherwise be archived due to the owner moving or just not wanting it anymore. I consider this little cache my own now, and father and son are doing just fine!

Please express your thoughts!

Kojones

I propose a section on Geocaching.com that shows caches up for adoption. The owner could select a check-box to say it is up for adoption and users could then search for these caches and contact the owner to actually adopt.

We think this is a great idea! We are military folk (who won't ever stay in one place very long) and have wanted to hide caches, but don't want them to become 'litter' when we move on and are unable to take care of them. (We hunt with kids and it is disappointing to come across obviously neglected caches!) We want to do our part to keep this game fun! Being able to adopt temporarily or knowing that our caches were in good hands when we moved would be a great bonus to us mobile folks!

I do like the idea. My only concern is its limitations. Archiving caches allows for new, different caches to be placed in a similar area. It allows people who have found the old cache to come back and find a new one. I agree that there are caches that I would love to have stick around that I enjoyed and would like others to as well. There are also caches where the area could be put to good use. Im afraid that the problem may come up where great caches get archived and LPM are adopted. If a cacher wants their cache to stick around after they leave, they may just have to call a caching buddy who is still in the area to take care of it.

I do like the idea. My only concern is its limitations. Archiving caches allows for new, different caches to be placed in a similar area. It allows people who have found the old cache to come back and find a new one. I agree that there are caches that I would love to have stick around that I enjoyed and would like others to as well. There are also caches where the area could be put to good use. Im afraid that the problem may come up where great caches get archived and LPM are adopted. If a cacher wants their cache to stick around after they leave, they may just have to call a caching buddy who is still in the area to take care of it.

I agree with this! On VERY rare situations should a cache get adopted in my opinion. More often than not I would enjoy visiting the location again with a new cache.

If a cacher wants their cache to stick around after they leave, they may just have to call a caching buddy who is still in the area to take care of it.

This sounds like the "caching buddy" has effectively adopted the cache because they're doing all the work to take care of the physical cache itself. The owner of the listing owns, well, the listing. The "caching buddy" may as well own the listing as well. I think.

I have thought this over before and this is what I think should happen:

1) A special "Up for Adoption" attribute the owner can give to a cache

2) A list for local "Up for Adoption" caches (with a PQ attribute)

3) Before A Reviewer Archives a cache, Temp. Disables it and puts it on the "Up for Adoption" list for 1 month

4) A "Adoption Request" form if a cache is going downhill and the owner takes no action.

This is what I think should happen!

Thanks for Bringing this up :huh:

3) Before A Reviewer Archives a cache, Temp. Disables it and puts it on the "Up for Adoption" list for 1 month

4) A "Adoption Request" form if a cache is going downhill and the owner takes no action.

Thanks for Bringing this up :huh:

I like this process you propose. I am 50/50 on putting it for adoption prior to Admin archiving it. Lots of those caches should just be new ones. But it might save some good ones. My thought, though, is that definitely if the owner wants to have it adopted, an attribute could be selected.

Kojones

I've got 2 great caches in my area that need maintenance badly and I have asked the owner for adoption rights. the owner has said he would think about it but never really got back to me. I've asked Groundspeak about adopting them instead of the immenent archives that are looming but because the owner actually logs into Geocaching.com every couple months then I have to got through the owner... I guess I will just watch them until they are archived and then go place new ones in the same spot. Frustrating!

Edited by KJcachers

If a cacher wants their cache to stick around after they leave, they may just have to call a caching buddy who is still in the area to take care of it.

This sounds like the "caching buddy" has effectively adopted the cache because they're doing all the work to take care of the physical cache itself. The owner of the listing owns, well, the listing. The "caching buddy" may as well own the listing as well. I think.

My mistake. What I meant was far an existing owner to personally tranfer ownership to a caching buddy, not just whoever will take it.

My mistake. What I meant was far an existing owner to personally tranfer ownership to a caching buddy, not just whoever will take it.

Aye, you're definitely right there -- direct adoption is the current way to do it.

Some sort of "adoption board" or optional inclusion in the weekly e-mail might be nice. ;)

Thanks for Bringing this up :unsure:

I like this process you propose. I am 50/50 on putting it for adoption prior to Admin archiving it. Lots of those caches should just be new ones. But it might save some good ones. My thought, though, is that definitely if the owner wants to have it adopted, an attribute could be selected.

Kojones

I am curious as to what is so awful about archiving a cache that you feel that there needs to be some kind of advertising system for those who want to adopt out their caches? In my personal experiance the "great ones" easily find an adopter and if it happens that one doesn't then someone usually rather quickly places a new cache there. I've never found these new caches any less great than the one that it replaced and like what Super Nate said it comes with the bonus of bringing you back to location again.

I am curious as to what is so awful about archiving a cache that you feel that there needs to be some kind of advertising system for those who want to adopt out their caches? In my personal experiance the "great ones" easily find an adopter and if it happens that one doesn't then someone usually rather quickly places a new cache there. I've never found these new caches any less great than the one that it replaced and like what Super Nate said it comes with the bonus of bringing you back to location again.

I guess I agree, but it would still be nice to have the feature! :D

Let us not forget that the reviewers are not paid to sit here and compile lists of caches.

Ones to put up for adoption, ones that haven't been adopted, etc.

Hopefully most people can tell by the cache listing if a cache is still active or needs help. If its close by, contact the cache owner and see about adopting it.

Its really simple to adopt a cache. Just contact the owner, go to the website, and adopt it.

If the cache owner hasn't been online in a long time, you may just jog there memory about the cache, and you may find yourself with a new caching buddy!!

Theres alot we can do as individual cachers without creating more work for the code writers or the volunteers.

Jordanw_us

Around our area we use the forum of our local Geocaching Group for adoption requests. Afterall who better to know if a cache is good enough to be adopted or should just be archived. We have a Military community who moves around a bit and this affords them the opportunity to place caches that can be adopted out when they move or go on extended trips across the pond.

I am 50/50 on this as I do agree with the logic of creating a brand new cache in the same spot, but its always nice to have the older, original caches around. I would recommend if anybody just makes a new cache in its place, to put the GC# and old cache name on the page and include its was being replaced after "(e.g. It got stolen)".

However, I recently hid a cache where I was told that there used to be one there, but it was archived. I don't remember this cache, nor the name or anything. :lol:

What if the cache has gone missing for months, the owner has 5 finds, hasn't been on Geocaching.com since about a year ago, and it not responding to emails. Yep, thats a common situation that can be cured with this feature. At least add the attribute, "Up for Adoption." :lol:

Sounds more like "Should Be Archived."

I think involutary adoptions are very rarely, if ever, a good idea.