Britain's least successful travel bug?

Foinavon

I know we have had a recent thread for travel bug resuce requests but this one I think deserves its own. A year ago to this very day I dropped my Mountain Compass II bug into Wolfhole Crag. Its still there and only one person has been to the cache since then. What is kind of impressive is that this was its first drop so my bug has moved zero distance despite being a year old. In the last few months I have been hoping that it would stay there in order to achieve this remarkable feat. However I think the time has come for it to move on. Wolfhole Crag is a fantastic cache, in my top 10. Could somebody please pay it a visit? I realise that walking for much of the day in order to increment your finds count by just one is not the done thing nowadays but it really is a lovely, lonely remote place, and there is a trig point too if you like that kind of thing. ;)

It might be entertaining to keep this thread going, I thought:

I had a CITO geocoin (TBV1AH) that I “lost” in a kitchen drawer and I sent it to a TB graveyard. After nearly a year MII (missing in inaction), I resurrected it and put it in a 5/5 cache, where it resided for 7 months before I rescued it and put it in another 5/5 cache elsewhere. A month later, the person who tried the cache dropped it in a river. It wasn’t ever seen by anyone and has done 14.4 genuine miles. It's now in another place where dead things reside, if that's the right word.

Our Bright Blessings! TB has been pretty unsuccessful too :)

We dropped it into a cache on Scilly last June, where it was picked up by a newbie cacher. Unfortunately, the enthusiasm for geocaching must have wained once he got back to the mainland as the TB is still with him.

Of course, the most annoying thing about this is No response to my polite emails! :ph34r:

MrsB

Had that a few times of course you could have a TB who's mission is to move slowly

Our tbs current progress.

SE 579.5mi Aaron 2/3/2008 markandlynn Barney 2911 mi OK moving regularly

W 65.5mi Hard As Nails 9/20/2007 markandlynn Carnedd y .. 95 mi Slow mover OK

Tyrannid TB Eater (Genestealer Genus) 5/27/2007 markandlynn Unknown 11035 mi Lost

N 226.1mi Kelly Ann 1/24/2007 markandlynn William Wa.. 609 Not in the cache presumably lost and it was the copy tag as well first one did 0 miles picked by newbie on third cache never did anymore

NW 3660.6mi Krystal 12/31/2007 markandlynn Park and T.. 11237 mi Moving arround the states nicely

W 3319.9mi Pink Barbie Doll Thing 1/14/2008 markandlynn Hopkin's T.. 7045 mi broken but still going

Weapon of torture 2/25/2007 markandlynn Rospo 2035 mi Not logged in for ages not responding to emails presumed missing in action

Two coins both MIA rest in my hands.

Our Bright Blessings! TB has been pretty unsuccessful too :)

We dropped it into a cache on Scilly last June, where it was picked up by a newbie cacher. Unfortunately, the enthusiasm for geocaching must have wained once he got back to the mainland as the TB is still with him.

Of course, the most annoying thing about this is No response to my polite emails! :ph34r:

MrsB

I like to see where TB's go next after I drop them and a couple I placed in caches in Scilly in June also were picked up and not moved (not mine, so not my place to prod). I also know of one longlady placed in a cache which has been picked up, the find not being logged online and one of mine took over 6 months before the cacher found it in their van. Holidaying Geocachers forgetting about the TB's they picked up and caches they did seems to be the problem.

<snip>

Of course, the most annoying thing about this is No response to my polite emails! :)

MrsB

I wonder if the people who don't reply to emails are actually always in receipt of them. If someone goes off the boil and stops caching and then changes their email address, there's no way of getting in touch with them. They just become a "non-validated member". Perhaps if people had to log in with their email address rather than username - no idea how that would work - it might mean that they were more up to date with their communication preferences. Or are they just ignorant? :ph34r:

My first TB that actually went travelling on its own (ie without ME) got moved from the start cache and put into another 111 miles away. It then disappeared off the face of the earth. ;) There are logs to say its not in the cache but no logs to say it has been picked up.

The thing that ticks me off is that its label clearly states it is in a RACE! ;)

At least other cachers have been kind enough to leave a log that its not in the cache it should be in. One of them even forwarded a note of the log to me, to let me know that it was missing.

Our Bright Blessings! TB has been pretty unsuccessful too :P

Of course, the most annoying thing about this is No response to my polite emails! :)

MrsB

I like to see where TB's go next after I drop them and a couple I placed in caches in Scilly in June also were picked up and not moved (not mine, so not my place to prod). I also know of one longlady placed in a cache which has been picked up, the find not being logged online and one of mine took over 6 months before the cacher found it in their van. Holidaying Geocachers forgetting about the TB's they picked up and caches they did seems to be the problem.

Our Bright Blessings! TB has been pretty unsuccessful too :P

MrsB

Thanks to pklong for prodding my TB holder, they have now logged my TB as picked up. My other 4 TBs are all awaiting pick ups from their first drops, they have all travelled 0 miles. Perhaps they will prefer travelling in summer?

<snip>

Of course, the most annoying thing about this is No response to my polite emails! :laughing:

MrsB

I wonder if the people who don't reply to emails are actually always in receipt of them. If someone goes off the boil and stops caching and then changes their email address, there's no way of getting in touch with them. They just become a "non-validated member". Perhaps if people had to log in with their email address rather than username - no idea how that would work - it might mean that they were more up to date with their communication preferences. Or are they just ignorant? :laughing:

I had a TB go missing in 2005 - it's last known cache placement did have an entry in the log book (but not online) which was kindly checked by the next visitors who reported back to say that two named cachers had picked up the TB - I emailed both, I eventually got a phone call from one and an email from the other to say they had the TB and would move it on soon. Since then, nothing, I was aware one cacher was a newbie (and it was he who had possession of the TB) and has not been on his page since 2005. The other cacher still visits his cache page (as indicated by the 'last visit' comment and has done so very recently, and despite further emails has failed to respond, even just to say the TB has now been lost. Oh! and his last visit was to log that he had been re-united with his own TB and was putting that out to pasture. I can only email this person through the 'send a message' facility but I guess there is no guarantee that this is actually received by them.

Another TB lost in the US - reappeared 375 days later in a cache only a couple of miles from the place it disappeared - how does that happen ?, is it a big guilt trip by the last person who picked it up the year before, finds it and then leaves it in a nearby cache without logging it to save face. I was pleased though as it was within one state of reaching it's destination when it went missing.

Another TB lost in the US - reappeared 375 days later in a cache only a couple of miles from the place it disappeared - how does that happen ?, is it a big guilt trip by the last person who picked it up the year before, finds it and then leaves it in a nearby cache without logging it to save face. I

I had the same happen to one of my TBs, it got placed into a cache and was reported as missing by the next visitor. Almost a year to the day it was found not too far away again :laughing: .

What had happened was, the cache had been muggaled/lost at some time and then replaced. My TB got placed in the original/lost cache and so dissapeared so to speak, then came to light when once again the original cache was found and all was revealed (and both caches got place next to each other so the owner could remove one to prevent the problem reocuring).

So all was well in the end, my TB got back into circulation and the cache owner got his box back :laughing: )