GSAK alternative?

barnabasbenn

You don't miss anything with the unregisted version. You just get the nag screen.

Pay for the program. There was a lot of hard work that went into the software. If you developed a software program, wouldn't you want people to pay for it?

El Diablo

Would love to pay for it but I don't use credit cards or paypal and the man lives in Australia,no way to send payment

Yeah, unless you register your software after a set number of days it delays the startup time. And the longer you use it the longer that span of time is. I remember because i had a version on our laptop that i never bother to register until i got tired of the "nag screen" they call it.

It really is a great deal though. It also works in conjunction with other mapping/navigation programs to make geocaching so much more enjoyable and productive. A must for those who like to make extended cache runs.

You don't miss anything with the unregisted version. You just get the nag screen.

Pay for the program. There was a lot of hard work that went into the software. If you developed a software program, wouldn't you want people to pay for it?

El Diablo

Would love to pay for it but I don't use credit cards or paypal and the man lives in Australia,no way to send payment

Got a checking account?

El Diablo

El Diablo

Got a checking account?

El Diablo

Yes I do-but he can't take a check or money order,already been in touch with him

El Diablo

You can set up a Paypal account using a checking account.

El Diablo

How we got around the whole credit card security thing, as it bugs us too, is this. We got a Visa DEBIT card - not CREDIT card - but it operates exactly the same as a Visa card in every other way. We have one specific account that is linked to that card and only ever put into that account the amount of $$$ that we are going to need for the purchase (the theory being that if that account information is ever compromised, there won't be any money in there anyway! :unsure::blink::huh: ). It was really starting to get inconvienient for us to not be able to purchase various things online.

What if I just use the unregistered version of GSAK,what will I be missing when I send cache page to pda?

I don't think that you'll miss anything. Keep using the unregistered version.

I was up to 3 or 4 nag screens each with a 30-60 second timeout before I broke down and paid for it. :unsure: One when I turned the program on, one when I uploaded the .gpx file, and one when I created the file for my gps, and another for cachemate etc. It gets really annoying it is a one time buy and is worth it. It is a great product! There is also many other macros you can get for it, stats, custom POI generator for your garmin, if you look at my stats page it was generated by GSAK

Also there was a show on 60minits I think, and it was all about credit card transactions and they say that online purchasing is the safest way to buy things. They had someone with a laptop outside of stores and could grab there card info wirelessly when they go through checkout, :blink: that scares me. :huh:

El Diablo

Am I the only one who sent Clyde cash? Worked for me.

Yes, Paypal is secure, they've been in business since mid-1999.

I recently got one of their security key tokens, very cool, has a passcode that changes every 30 seconds on it that links to your paypal and/or eBay accounts.

I'm not so sure. I recently had an identity theft problem. Someone had my bank account number and my SS number. I can only think of one place online that had both of those and that was PayPal. I don't know that this person got the info there, but I will not use PayPal for anything. I'm not taking any chances.

The good news was, I caught it early enough that I didn't lose any money. The bank account has been changed.

Wouldn't a Visa gift card work? Just buy one for whatever amount you need (or maybe a bit more). Then if things go bad, the worst that you could be out is whatever you paid for it.

Some great ideas,the pre-paid credit card sounds like maybe a good way to go-I accually have one from a couple of years ago that I forgot all about,just need to load it up,Thanks to all!