Cache Log is Full!

Bunganator

I'm pretty OCD about log signing. I have yet to find a log I couldn't sign. Two weeks ago it was close...the cache was a fake pinecone and the log was jammed up inside it. I went back to the vehicle for my needle nosed pliers and did some quick surgery on it. :laughing:

Then what's the trick to writing on frozen logs? :antenna:

I was going to try felt tip pen, but that was clear back in the truck...I am guessing that would've worked somewhat.

The log was a completely soaked and matted piece of paper wrapped around a piece of a wooden matchstick. I replaced it with a small piece of National Geographic Adventure Paper.

No extra charge.

If the owner wants to "delete" my find, that is cool. Makes them feel good, I'm all for it. Does it erase my experience? No. If the cache owner wants to pretend I was never there, lol, fine, :laughing: we'll pretend I was never there. But I am going to laugh at y'all who will have a great day in the outdoors ruined based on what someone else marks on an internet log. But then again, maybe my kids will love me more or I will get a raise based on my find totals. :antenna:

I'm just not as "pure" as BD...so I'd log the find if I could prove that I had the cache in question...and have!!!

(Adds R&R to the scratch-off list)

;)

Most cachers wouldn't be in a situation that they couldn't prove they found the cache.

The op stipulated that you didn't even have a camera. You are logging the cache based on honor. I've had a cache owner tell me they know I found it and could claim a find.

Thanks, but I'll come back and sign the logbook.

Yup me too. It took me a couple months to get back to that cache, but I did get back to it and sign the log. OCD? Perhaps... perhaps not. It did satisfy the requirements of logging a find according to the guidelines and I'm good with that. To flip the coin... How soon before you just walk past the cache and say you found it? How soon after that you just drive by the cache and count it as a find? It's too easy to do a job halfway. If you have to ask is this right or not then weigh your scruples and decide if you did enough to satisfy the requirements to log a find.

I'm just not as "pure" as BD...so I'd log the find if I could prove that I had the cache in question...and have!!!

;)

Most cachers wouldn't be in a situation that they couldn't prove they found the cache.

The op stipulated that you didn't even have a camera. You are logging the cache based on honor. I've had a cache owner tell me they know I found it and could claim a find.

Yup me too. It took me a couple months to get back to that cache, but I did get back to it and sign the log. OCD? Perhaps... perhaps not. It did satisfy the requirements of logging a find according to the guidelines and I'm good with that. To flip the coin... How soon before you just walk past the cache and say you found it? How soon after that you just drive by the cache and count it as a find? It's too easy to do a job halfway. If you have to ask is this right or not then weigh your scruples and decide if you did enough to satisfy the requirements to log a find.

The topic that will just not die. Some take the sport more seriously than others to the extent that honor is not good enough. It is little bit ridiculous that holding a full log book in ones hands is not good enough for some.

>The topic that will just not die. Some take the sport more seriously than others to the extent that honor is >not good enough. It is little bit ridiculous that holding a full log book in ones hands is not good enough for

>some.

No it won't will it? Personally I think the problem is lack of cache maintenance. If a bit more of that was done rather than hiding hiding hiding, there wouldn't be a problem would there? I know of a cache in the city I live that is about 100yds from the hider's home, and after a needs maintenance was posted some months ago, they still haven't fixed it. People scurry around hiding and finding, but not fixing...

:)

The topic that will just not die. Some take the sport more seriously than others to the extent that honor is not good enough. It is little bit ridiculous that holding a full log book in ones hands is not good enough for some.

Personally I think these hypothetical cacher owners who don't maintain their caches are ruining the forums for us. They cause people to take things a little too seriously.

Don't worry I've archived all their caches and cito the containers out. Of course I didn't log a single one since I can no longer prove the cache was even there at all. :huh:

edit: missing letter

Edited by BlueDeuce
I'm pretty OCD about log signing. I have yet to find a log I couldn't sign. Two weeks ago it was close...the cache was a fake pinecone and the log was jammed up inside it. I went back to the vehicle for my needle nosed pliers and did some quick surgery on it. :)
Then what's the trick to writing on frozen logs? :huh:
As much as I hate them for everyday use, gel pens (or the ones that use liquid ink) work pretty good on frozen or wet paper.

I keep a papermate liquid expresso pen (or other non-ball gel or liquid pen) with me just in case I come across a soaked log.

You could leave a Geocoin, TB, or other trackable item (DigitalFish, etc) to prove you were there. I've seen Geocoins and TB's that even fit into most micros. One custom TB that I had recently could even fit into a Bison tube. You could also leave a dime or other coin and state the coins year and series # in the log. But if absolutely nothing worked, then yes I would claim a find.

I have found myself without a pen several times and used a twig and once even a rock, some spit and dirt to make mud, and signed with that!

You found it, you signed it, mission accomplished!

I have replaced many full logs, too, with old receipts I had in my wallet, whatever - any kind of paper will do.

I do that as a gesture of friendship, however, not because it's my responsibility to maintain other's caches.

When I replace a full or damaged log I email the owner offering to snail-mail them the old one.

I'm pretty OCD about log signing. I have yet to find a log I couldn't sign. Two weeks ago it was close...the cache was a fake pinecone and the log was jammed up inside it. I went back to the vehicle for my needle nosed pliers and did some quick surgery on it. :huh:

Then what's the trick to writing on frozen logs? :)

I was going to try felt tip pen, but that was clear back in the truck...I am guessing that would've worked somewhat.

The log was a completely soaked and matted piece of paper wrapped around a piece of a wooden matchstick. I replaced it with a small piece of National Geographic Adventure Paper.

No extra charge.

Is that a joke that I am missing? I don't get the National Geographic Adventure Paper thing... :D

I'm pretty OCD about log signing. I have yet to find a log I couldn't sign. Two weeks ago it was close...the cache was a fake pinecone and the log was jammed up inside it. I went back to the vehicle for my needle nosed pliers and did some quick surgery on it. :huh:
As much as I hate them for everyday use, gel pens (or the ones that use liquid ink) work pretty good on frozen or wet paper.

I keep a papermate liquid expresso pen (or other non-ball gel or liquid pen) with me just in case I come across a soaked log.

Hm, if you say that works I'll try it...it would seem to me that moisture would cause those to bleed...not exactly sure what gel pen is, maybe I am thinking of the wrong style...I'll look it up.

Hm, if you say that works I'll try it...it would seem to me that moisture would cause those to bleed...not exactly sure what gel pen is, maybe I am thinking of the wrong style...I'll look it up.

It will bleed a bit, but it's still legible.

On two separate occasions, I have found only a log book from what appeared to be muggled caches. I posted a needs maintenance for one and for the other which was already archived I left a note.

Since I could've signed the logs, should I have posted a smiley on these?

I wouldn't but I am often 'rediculous' about what I will and won't claim as a find. :unsure:

I agree. I don't post smiley's unless I find the log in good condition and the cache in good condition.

I found a cache last year that I wish would just get archived. It had maintenance logs from June/July from two reputable cachers in the area. Subsequently, the cache became even more damaged to the point of only contents being strewn about, yet two cachers after that logged smiley's. I logged a maintenance request in November and have since logged a SBA since it's not getting attention.

On two separate occasions, I have found only a log book from what appeared to be muggled caches. I posted a needs maintenance for one and for the other which was already archived I left a note.

It always comes down to how important that smiley is to you. All decisions seem to hinge on that. They aren't important to me so I wouldn't log it.

Of course, if that is what you wanted to do after you signed the logbook. :unsure::lol::unsure:

That sure is what I would have done. One difference though is that I wouldn't have brought it to the forums.

Edited by Team Cotati

Of course, if that is what you wanted to do after you signed the logbook. :unsure::lol::unsure:

That sure is what I would have done. One difference though is that I wouldn't have brought it to the forums.

Why wouldn't you log a "Needs Maintenance"? I would hope at the very least you'd log both.

Edited by egami

Of course, if that is what you wanted to do after you signed the logbook. :lol::o:)

Why wouldn't you log a "Needs Maintenance"? I would hope at the very least you'd log both.

Geesh, can't the guy sign a logbook without getting nagged about all the other minor details? :unsure:

:unsure:

:unsure:

You have it wrong. It's called following the guideline to make the count legitimate:

Step 4 – The Find

Huzzah! You found the cache! Congratulations! Now what?

Usually you take an item and leave an item, and enter your name and experience you had into the log book. Some people prefer to just enter their name into the log book. It’s an accomplishment enough to locate the cache.

Honor has nothing to do with a find if you didn't sign or initial the log somehow. I have a couple of caches I did find, had the log book in my hands and did not sign it. I also did not count the find. The only evidence that I was at the second one at all was with Weightman's log Still haven't gone back to sign the log. Call me old school, but that's my philosophy and I'll stand by it. You will not find those caches among my find count.

After reading many forum posts about different topics, it seems that many people are very driven to only claim a smiley if they sign the log. Personally, if I have the cache and log in my hand, but forget to bring a pencil, I'll take the smiley cuz I know I found it. But for those that will turn around to find a pencil in the car and then come back, here is a semi-irrelevant, very hypothetical, but possibly OCD raising question:

If you find a cache whose logbook is full beyond capacity, wet, or non-existent (I have found those), and you don't have ANY cache maintenece materials (including random bits of paper) or visual history recording devices (aka: a camera), would you take the smiley?

That is an impossible scenario. I always have some paper to log my find if the cache is in bad shape. I guess I'm exempt from this question?

Of course, if that is what you wanted to do after you signed the logbook. :)B):D

Geesh, can't the guy sign a logbook without getting nagged about all the other minor details? B)

:D

NEVER! B)

I'm pretty OCD about log signing. I have yet to find a log I couldn't sign. Two weeks ago it was close...the cache was a fake pinecone and the log was jammed up inside it. I went back to the vehicle for my needle nosed pliers and did some quick surgery on it. :D

No extra charge.

Is that a joke that I am missing? I don't get the National Geographic Adventure Paper thing... :D

It is real

Adenture paper

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I'll admit it. I'm not pure. :) I would sign the online log even if I was unable to actually get my name on the cache logbook.

Although this hasn't happened to me yet, if I hunted for and found the cache, put my hands on it, opened it...and discovered there was no way to sign the logbook, I would still log the find online....because....I FOUND it. The choices given don't say "I signed the logbook", it says "I found it!"

I have managed to squish my name on a number of jam-packed log books. But I thought the name of the game was "veni, vidi, vinci"...I came, I saw, I conquered. So if that's what I did, I log "found it" on the online log AND note online that the logbook is full and needs maintenance.

I'll admit it. I'm not pure. :rolleyes: I would sign the online log even if I was unable to actually get my name on the cache logbook.

Although this hasn't happened to me yet, if I hunted for and found the cache, put my hands on it, opened it...and discovered there was no way to sign the logbook, I would still log the find online....because....I FOUND it. The choices given don't say "I signed the logbook", it says "I found it!"

I have managed to squish my name on a number of jam-packed log books. But I thought the name of the game was "veni, vidi, vinci"...I came, I saw, I conquered. So if that's what I did, I log "found it" on the online log AND note online that the logbook is full and needs maintenance.

That is not the name of the game. The name of the game is Geocaching. You merely invoked your variation of how you will play.

Fail to put your name, initials, stamp, or a calling card in my logbook and you will find I will delete your log. It's my job as the owner to ensure no bogus logs are on the web page. My only verification is the logbook in the cache.

You're out in the open and you're telling me you can't find a single thing to leave a mark with? I've used green twigs to scratch out my initials. Fresh grass will do the same with a dry twig. I've known people to prick their fingers and sign in blood... a little extreme maybe, but there is always something you can use if you just exercise your imagination. I also used a muddy fingernail to leave behind a dirt stained initial once. I found a cache once where the log was too wet for even my fisher pen to write on so I AC'd the log for about 20 minutes to dry it and the cache out.

As full as a log is, there will always be enough white space to initial somewhere. I haven't seen any yet that I couldn't if I were to find it full every page used.

You can take a jar and fill it full of marbles and yet still find space to put BB's in it. You can still find space to put sand in it and you can still find space again to put water in it. Each time, someone would have called that jar full. Your perception of a full log is what you will allow it to be.

Edited by TotemLake
You're out in the open and you're telling me you can't find a single thing to leave a mark with?

I don't believe that anyone couldn't do some sort of 'proving' that they found the cache, even by verbal description. The OP simply presented a scenario of 'What would you do IF you couldn't?'

I found it interesting that so many people answered the question by describing how they could leave proof, even when they 'overlooked' the limitations presented by the OP. That tells me that leaving proof is important to them. I’ll even bet the ones who said I don't have to prove I was there. I'm taking the find, would have made some sort of attempt.

So to answer an earlier comment; No, simply holding a full logbook is not good enough for some. We’ll find a way to sign the logbook. Ridiculous as that is.

My only verification is the logbook in the cache.

So what if you do maintenance and find the log book missing (or maybe even the cache is missing). The last person wrote a great log on how much they enjoyed finding your cache but didn't mention whether they signed the log. Did they fail to sign the log? Was the log full but since they know you will delete their log when you check they took the log out of the cache or maybe even took the cache? Maybe the cache was already missing and they are just lying when they say they found it? What if the last log was "TNLNSL"? They say they signed the log and you have no way to prove they didn't.

Cache owners are supposed to delete bogus logs. In my opinion the log is just a way for a cacher to verify he did in fact find the cache if some owner claims his find is bogus. Unless a person comes right and says he didn't find the cache but is claiming a find anyways, I think is is reasonable to give the cacher the benefit of the doubt and let the log stay. Of course if the finder says he didn't sign the log because it was full, and you find a half-empty log sheet when you do maintenance, and no one has said they came and replaced the log in the meantime; you may have some evidence that the online log is bogus.

My only verification is the logbook in the cache.

So what if you do maintenance and find the log book missing (or maybe even the cache is missing). The last person wrote a great log on how much they enjoyed finding your cache but didn't mention whether they signed the log. Did they fail to sign the log? Was the log full but since they know you will delete their log when you check they took the log out of the cache or maybe even took the cache? Maybe the cache was already missing and they are just lying when they say they found it? What if the last log was "TNLNSL"? They say they signed the log and you have no way to prove they didn't.

Now you're describing a different scenario and that becomes a judgement call on the owner's part. I have had that happen to my first cache I put out. This does not excuse not signing the log book if the cache was found. If I can't find the logbook in the cache, I can't call you a liar. But IF the logbook is there, that's my option to verify.

I have found a location of a cache once; even took pictures of the impression the box made in the wet ground. I still wrote it up as a DNF because I did not find the muggled cache even though I accurately described the location and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt the cache existed there.

Sign the log, count the find. Don't sign the log, risk the owner's decision. Just don't complain here about it. As long as it is within the guidelines, the owner sets the tone of their cache. As for deleting a log because it called for maintenance... uncalled for.

Edited by TotemLake

I would. I found it and held the soggy mess in my hand. I think that counts. I would also log a cache maintainence. We have found a few like this, and it is disapointing to be unable to sign the log.

My game plan. I had one around new years that was a mess. We had a camera and took a picture. It is a micro cache and I did not post up the picture but put in my log that I had it. Been to others where I didn't have a camera but put in the log that I would explain the area if needed. I have had some of my own go missing that I told the DNF to log it as a find after I verified it gone. They drove there and found it missing, not their falt

You're out in the open and you're telling me you can't find a single thing to leave a mark with?

I don't believe that anyone couldn't do some sort of 'proving' that they found the cache, even by verbal description. The OP simply presented a scenario of 'What would you do IF you couldn't?'

I found it interesting that so many people answered the question by describing how they could leave proof, even when they 'overlooked' the limitations presented by the OP. That tells me that leaving proof is important to them. I’ll even bet the ones who said 'I don't have to prove I was there, I'm taking the find', would have made some sort of attempt.

So to answer an earlier comment; No, simply holding a full logbook is not good enough for some. We’ll find a way to sign it.

edit: edited

Edited by BlueDeuce

After reading many forum posts about different topics, it seems that many people are very driven to only claim a smiley if they sign the log. Personally, if I have the cache and log in my hand, but forget to bring a pencil, I'll take the smiley cuz I know I found it. But for those that will turn around to find a pencil in the car and then come back, here is a semi-irrelevant, very hypothetical, but possibly OCD raising question:

If you find a cache whose logbook is full beyond capacity, wet, or non-existent (I have found those), and you don't have ANY cache maintenece materials (including random bits of paper) or visual history recording devices (aka: a camera), would you take the smiley?

That is an impossible scenario. I always have some paper to log my find if the cache is in bad shape. I guess I'm exempt from this question?

No it isn't. I found a guardrail cache once where the log was so soaked it had swollen and was lodged so tightly in the cache it couldn't be removed, period. No way to sign it, no room to stuff even a single sheet of paper inside, the only way to "log" it would have been to totally replace the cache, log, container and all.

I posted a find and the explanation and I would do it again with a clear conscience, I found it and tried to sign it but couldnot for reasons beyond my control.

Sign the log, count the find. Don't sign the log, risk the owner's decision. Just don't complain here about it. As long as it is within the guidelines, the owner sets the tone of their cache. As for deleting a log because it called for maintenance... uncalled for.

Bingo! Cache owner has the final say, if I can't sign the log and the owner won't allow a find I have no problem at all with that. :rolleyes:

The actual guidelines:

Step 4 – The Find

Huzzah! You found the cache! Congratulations! Now what?

Usually you take an item and leave an item, and enter your name and experience you had into the log book. Some people prefer to just enter their name into the log book. It’s an accomplishment enough to locate the cache.

Would someone please advise me as to where the requirement is stated for leaving a mark if the logbook is not signable??

Guidelines are actually quite flexible with signing the log being an after thought after one has "found the cache". No where in the guidelines is signing the log equated with finding the cache!!!!!!! Signing the log or logging it electronically is done as a nice gesture to the owner (see following official guideline below) not as means of proving a find.

"When you get home, email the person who hid the cache and let them know you found it! They’re always happy to know the condition of their cache and it’s nice to know that people are looking for them."

People may choose to play the game anyway they want, but the guidelines are actually quite loose. I think the intention of geocaching is that it is supposed to be fun.

I found it interesting that so many people answered the question by describing how they could leave proof, even when they 'overlooked' the limitations presented by the OP. That tells me that leaving proof is important to them. I’ll even bet the ones who said I don't have to prove I was there. I'm taking the find, would have made some sort of attempt.

So to answer an earlier comment; No, simply holding a full logbook is not good enough for some. We’ll find a way to sign the logbook. Ridiculous as that is.

We took a digital picture of the cache in our scenario...I haven't heard back from that owner yet, but so far he has allowed the smiley. I also e-mailed him to explain our situation...so, we'll see where it goes.

And, in our situation, there was nothing around to mark on the log..they log was frozen and everything was snow/ice covered...it can happen.

But, that's nothing to do with this particular log. :rolleyes:

Edited by egami