Coordinates Calculator?

frex3wv

I simply go to the spot that I want to place a cache and use my 60CSX GPSr to show me all of the closest waypoints (that will show all of the geocaches both found and not found my me). If the closest one is less then .10 mile you can move around until you meet the .10 mile rule. It's not difficult. Of course all of the caches for that area have to be loaded into your GPSr, but thats easy enough to do using Goggle earth to find the apprx coordinates and punching them into the page on geocaching.com

Am working on placing a cache and was wonderinfg if anyone knew of an online calculator I could use to make sure my Lat/Long is .10mile away from any other cache (PRIOR to me submitting the cache and finding out the hard way)?

Thanks in advance.

There is a free program I use called GeoCalc 0.9.50 that will do what you want. I can't remember where I downloaded it from, but you can Google it or maybe someone else can give you the site

Plug your coordinates into this page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

Of course that won't help with stages of a multi or the final of a puzzle cache - best bet there is to do all such caches within 2 miles or ask your local reviewer.

"do all such caches within 2 miles" How does that help with multi's?

I understand that it won't cover all multicaches but I would bet that 75% or more of multi's can be completed within 2 miles of the starting point.

Plug your coordinates into this page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

Of course that won't help with stages of a multi or the final of a puzzle cache - best bet there is to do all such caches within 2 miles or ask your local reviewer.

"do all such caches within 2 miles" How does that help with multi's?

I understand that it won't cover all multicaches but I would bet that 75% or more of multi's can be completed within 2 miles of the starting point.

Actually it's 88.2 percent.

StarBrand's method is the best, easiest way to handle this issue.

Segerguy's and Briansnat's method would work if you keep all found caches in your unit, but remove archived caches. I only load unfound caches into my GPSr, so that method wouldn't work for me.

I doubt that that is all that unusual. However, it seems logical that when out and about for the purpose of borh placing and finding geocaches, that you'd load everything in the area. Just to have your bases covered, you know. :laughing::antenna::antenna:

Segerguy's and Briansnat's method would work if you keep all found caches in your unit, but remove archived caches. I only load unfound caches into my GPSr, so that method wouldn't work for me.

I doubt that that is all that unusual. However, it seems logical that when out and about for the purpose of borh placing and finding geocaches, that you'd load everything in the area. Just to have your bases covered, you know. :antenna::antenna::laughing:
Logical to you, but not to me.

I doubt that that is all that unusual. However, it seems logical that when out and about for the purpose of borh placing and finding geocaches, that you'd load everything in the area. Just to have your bases covered, you know. :laughing::antenna::antenna:

Didn't expect that it would be.

Though a calculator will work most of the time, the best bet is to send the proposed coordinates to your local reviewer. They can check to make sure you are good on distance rather quickly. When I did a few at a time for an event, I sent in all the coordinates ahead of time (way ahead) and it worked out great. For individual caches I use GSAK to export all the points in the area into a GPX, then you can use that to load it into mapsource or google earth. It should give you an indication of how close you are to other caches. If you have regular caches just outside your .10 distance you should be fine, if there are multis within that area then you may have issues with their stages.

v/r

O-Mega

My local reviewer advised me to use Starbrand's suggested method before I submit. It's way easier than havign to do any complicated calculations on any other software!!! It won't get stages of multis (or let you know where puzzles are that you haven't solved!!!), but that is what your reviewer is there for.

Edited by Annie & PB

I doubt that that is all that unusual. However, it seems logical that when out and about for the purpose of borh placing and finding geocaches, that you'd load everything in the area. Just to have your bases covered, you know. :antenna::antenna::antenna:

:laughing:

I doubt that that is all that unusual. However, it seems logical that when out and about for the purpose of borh placing and finding geocaches, that you'd load everything in the area. Just to have your bases covered, you know. :ph34r::huh:;)
I don't know why I respond to you, since you are only trolling, but here goes.

As you find more and more caches, it makes less sense (to me) to load them all to your GPSr. After all, I'm unlikely to go back and visit all those caches. I certainly might go back to some of the cool areas, but I don't need the cache in my GPSr to do that.

Consider a cacher with ten thousand cache finds. Loading all these caches to his GPSr would only serve to make the thing drag horribly when sorting though the list to find the 'next' unfound one. Plus, you would have to take special care to remove any archived ones from the list of caches that are sent to your GPSr, since they would not block a future placement.

So there you go, that's my reasoning. Go ahead with your snarky banter as it seems to be keeping you amused.

Ok, I am new so I could use some clarification. I undestand why a new cache should keep some distance from others (as I read .1 mile). However, does a multi with stages fall info this rule? I wanted to plan a multi in an area that had some, well let's say dead caches. I wanted my stage to come close (in the general area) so people can enjoy it during the multi. Do all of the stages need to be within a range of themselves, and a distance from the others?

By the way, is there some sort of support group or counseling I can seek for cachaholics?

Ok, I am new so I could use some clarification. I undestand why a new cache should keep some distance from others (as I read .1 mile). However, does a multi with stages fall info this rule? I wanted to plan a multi in an area that had some, well let's say dead caches. I wanted my stage to come close (in the general area) so people can enjoy it during the multi. Do all of the stages need to be within a range of themselves, and a distance from the others?

By the way, is there some sort of support group or counseling I can seek for cachaholics?

Your own stages of your own multi can be whatever distance you'd like, .1 of a mile or more or less from the start, the finish or each other stage.

However, your cache or any stage of your multi cannot fall within .1 of a mile from any other cache (including another separate cache of your own) or any stage of any other cache (including another separate cache of your own). The only folks capable of checking the stages of multi caches for distance are the reviewers. Us poor underlings cannot determine where the stages of multi caches reside unless we solve the multi.

Hence, there is no support group.

RATTLEBARS

Edited by Rattlebars