Loch Lomond

Have you considered the youth hostel that is sited on the banks of the loch? Just down from Balloch I believe. I`ve stayed in a few hostels recently and can say that they are much different from what they used to be. More like a B&B really. have a look at the YHA website for details.

I stayed at a couple of youth hostels in Scotland last year. Never, ever again! The slight extra cost of a proper B&B is like moving from a tent to a 5 star hotel!

Just out of curiosity, have you stayed in any in England and Wales? If so are they at the standard of a B&B for the same price as a Scottish hostel?

I find myself that the slight extra cost can sometimes be over 3 times as much as a Scottish hostel. Wish I had your money! :rolleyes:

I think you pay for what you get. :)

I stayed at a couple of youth hostels in Scotland last year. Never, ever again! The slight extra cost of a proper B&B is like moving from a tent to a 5 star hotel!

Just out of curiosity, have you stayed in any in England and Wales? If so are they at the standard of a B&B for the same price as a Scottish hostel?

I find myself that the slight extra cost can sometimes be over 3 times as much as a Scottish hostel. Wish I had your money! :lol:

I think you pay for what you get. B)

No. We had intended to stay at one near Morecambe Bay on the way home, but decided to give it a miss after our Scottish experience and did the whole trip in one go. I won't name any particular places but the walls were paper thin, the door lock didn't work, the bedding was dirty and smelled of sweaty bodies, the matress was lumpy, there was only one toilet and wash basin for 20 people, noisy parties going on next door until past midnight, I could go on. Not what I call fun. B)

No. We had intended to stay at one near Morecambe Bay on the way home, but decided to give it a miss after our Scottish experience and did the whole trip in one go. I won't name any particular places but the walls were paper thin, the door lock didn't work, the bedding was dirty and smelled of sweaty bodies, the matress was lumpy, there was only one toilet and wash basin for 20 people, noisy parties going on next door until past midnight, I could go on. Not what I call fun. :lol:

I think you have had a bad experience that belies all other hostels. Perhaps naming the hostel will give fore warning for some others?