The Right Date to Use

sandrats

Almost always, you would backdate the log to the date that you actually found it. This keeps logs in the correct order on the cache page, and can be helpful in the future when you go back to look at your previous finds. I've received notification of logs that were backdated more than a year in some cases.

I agree with those who say please use the date that you ACTUALLY FOUND the cache on (- and try to log them in the order that you found them too!).

For you - one day you may want to know what cache and what day it actually was that you found your 100th or 200th or 1000th cache!!!!

For the cache hider - it is important if the cache is muggled or damaged or can't be found(because it isn't there!) or if travel bugs or geocoins go missing from it, to have the most accurate information as to when these things may have happened.

Six DNFs (which would lead a cache owner to think the cache was missing and needed a maintenance check) followed by a Found (which was actually a Find from weeks or days ago) is unhelpful to the cache owner, because now the cache owner would be unsure whether the cache was really missing or not.

..............(- and try to log them in the order that you found them too!). ..............

This would apply except to the celebrated find. I logged mine in the correct order of finds, and sent the PQ to www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com. The 199th and 200th finds were reversed in the order, making my milestones reflected incorrect. I entered milestones into my profile manually to get around this.

..............(- and try to log them in the order that you found them too!). ..............

This would apply except to the celebrated find. I logged mine in the correct order of finds, and sent the PQ to www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com. The 199th and 200th finds were reversed in the order, making my milestones reflected incorrect. I entered milestones into my profile manually to get around this.

I always log my finds in the order they were found. When I look at my profile all those logged on the same date show up in the reverse order.

I always log my finds in the order they were found. When I look at my profile all those logged on the same date show up in the reverse order.

Yeah, that's an annoying "feature" on GC.com. I hope that is fixed in the updated version of the site.

However, that does not appear to affect the milestone caches for me. As long as I enter them in the correct order, the correct caches have been listed as my milestones.

OMG! I've posted all mine the same day I found them. I hadn't give any thought as to posting a find on a day other than the day I found it. Glad I read this post. Thanks

Wanna log the 110 finds I still have from a powercaching day in November? :D

I get amazingly behind in my logs because I refuse to copy/paste my logs. Each one of my 7000+ logs is unique. I'm currently backlogged about 170 finds. I guess thats my own fault. I do have a really good memory, so even for being 3 months old, I can still make specific notes about each cache.

I do however make a point to log DNFs and TB movements ASAP since I consider those a more important then a basic find log.

Just wanted to add another vote for "Use the date of when you made the actual find."

I attempted a cache on which the previous cacher DNF'ed. I also DNF'ed. I added the cache to my watchlist to see if anyone was able to find it. Two more cachers logged DNFs.

One day in my email I saw the subject saying "xxxx Found yyyy". I was amazed that someone found this cache because I was convinced it was gone. I went and read the log (dated in October) saying "Found this one back in July." D'oh!

Logs placed out of date like that really mess up people who use GSAK to filter out caches that have a string of DNFs. Also, if the owner doesn't read the log closely it creates a false impression that the cache is there and present when, in fact, it could very well need a maintenance check.

Well, thank you all very much ... perfect logic! Will do (and have done).

Now, I found this "Fast Reply" button after the most recent reply (I just now had a chance to check back on answers to my query) .... I don't really know what it will do??? Nor do I know what a PQ is, as referred to in one of the replies. Which will be the subject for a New Topic, I guess, because I can't find a plain old Glossary anywhere!!