Is a 60CSX really worth $100 more than the Vista HCX

Zooma 4

Can someone please tell me why the Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSX is $100 more than the Vista HCX? I've narrowed my future purchase down to these 2 and the only difference I see has to do with tide information. I have also read that the 60CSX has a dull screen problem. Can someone advise?

I own both, and have for atleast a year now.....in my opinion the only reason the 60csx is still more expensive is due to its larger screen and superior case layout

but really for the week long hikes I find the vista's size and battery usage and ability to lock onto the signal quicker and keep it.....makes it the best bang for the buck without a doubt, as 100's of people have said on this forum already, where do you like your buttons is what it really boils down too

Before buying the 60CSx, I did a bit of research and had narrowed my choices down to the 60CSx and Vista HCX but still remained open to other. When I went shopping at the store, the 60CSX quickly became my favorite. I just didnt like the look of the Vista HCX and it just didnt feel right in my hands. The screen is admitedly duller on the 60CSx so if you like to turn up the screen real bright on your electronic devices then you might not like this unit.

Im happy with my decision. My advice to you would be to go to a store and take a look at both and see which one feels better. Youre looking at similar functionality with both so I dont think anyone can tell you which one is better for you. Im not sure if its worth the price difference but Im happy I paid the extra to get the 60CSx because it would probably nag me every time I used the Vista. If youre indifferent between the two then it might be harder to justify the price difference but i dont think you owuld go wrong iwth either.

Can someone please tell me why the Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSX is $100 more than the Vista HCX? I've narrowed my future purchase down to these 2 and the only difference I see has to do with tide information. I have also read that the 60CSX has a dull screen problem. Can someone advise?

Edited by urban.one

I have used a 60Cx extensively for two years. I wanted a backup unit and bought an HCx. I loved the size and screen. However, after a week of extensive testing I returned it, because the accuracy I was getting in heavy tree canopy was not as good as the 60Cx. I returned it and bought a second 60Cx. I guess that means that I think the accuracy is worth $100 more to me.

I have used a 60Cx extensively for two years. I wanted a backup unit and bought an HCx. I loved the size and screen. However, after a week of extensive testing I returned it, because the accuracy I was getting in heavy tree canopy was not as good as the 60Cx. I returned it and bought a second 60Cx. I guess that means that I think the accuracy is worth $100 more to me.

So you think the 60csx is more accurate than the Vista HCX?

Did Garmin ever address the "vertical line issue" with the new line of Etrex's? This is the problem in which vertical lines start to appear on the display due to a loose ribbon cable...

That was a problem with the earlier monochrome models such as the Legend and Vista, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention that problem with the Color eTrex models.

Does the rubber come off the HCX eTrex units like it did on the non-HCX eTrex units?

I am going to be more careful with my Vista HCx about leaving it in the hot sun in a hot car, but since Garmin repaired many units that had that problem, I would guess they are using a different type of adhesive on the newest models.

Whether or not it's worth $100 is really a personal issue. I've used the 60cx for two years and I've really liked it. That said, I've just ordered the Vista Hcx to replace it because I like the small size of the Etrex series. I don't really care if one is slightly more accurate than the other as long as they hold a signal long enough to get me home! If you are going to be using it for geocaching then accuracy is pretty subjective... the cache will be where the owner put it (hopefully), not where your GPS says it should be.

These items make the 60CSx more expensive than the Vista HCx.

2. comes with 64mb card

For the record, many people are reporting that their 60CSx came with a 128mb card, even though the box indicates that it is packaged with a 64mb one.

Yeah, that's true. I opened mine up and it has a 128mb card in it.

What is the Max size SD card you can use - 1 or 2 gig are so reasonably priced

2. comes with 64mb card

For the record, many people are reporting that their 60CSx came with a 128mb card, even though the box indicates that it is packaged with a 64mb one.

A 2gb card is the most the Erex line currently supports.

Garmin sells a 128mb card for $20. A 256 for $25.

I got a Lexar 1gb card for $25 at WalMart several months back. You can find them for half that

but stick to brand names as the cheapo ones are made cheap and, from my experience, will deteriorate a significant rate - specifically, the contacts.

there is no doubt they are both quite similar in accuracy......the HCX is a bit better on a cold boot and in acquiring those satelites but they both see them in about the same fashion.

A comparison of the accuracy of the 2 is something I haven't seen.

I know the 2 use different chip sets, but there is also the difference in antennas: the 60 using a quad-helix, and I assume the HCX (like all the eTrex) uses a patch.

2. comes with 64mb card

I just got a 60Cx (not CSx) and it also came with a 128MB card. I also went to my local office supply store and picked up a San Disk micro SD card with a capacity of 2GB and it works just fine. In fact on some Garmin web sites they sell a 2GB San Disk micro SD card for use with their models.