What would a possible $6/gallon do for your Cachin Mojo?

Snoogans

I drive 42 miles each way to work and back.

I bought my 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager brand new. It now has 271,000 miles on the original engine (3.0L) and still runs great, screaming along at 80-85 mph to work and back. The oil change guys say this engine should last another 100,000 miles. Well, I'm going for it!

I SAVE 12 CENTS PER GALLON by buying the Marathon gift card. They sell $50 cards for $48. That's a 4% discount, which at $3 per gallon comes to 12 cents off per gallon!!! I don't know how long they can keep doing this, but I just put another $200 on my card today!

Thank God. I despise old people out for their 'Sunday pleasure drives'!

Getouttamyway!

:anibad:

michelle

(only slightly kidding)

Thank you. That reply just made my day :anicute:

OT- My caching Mojo has craved long hikes and finding caches that mean something to me for about the last year or so. This helps eliminate alot of driving. I get enjoyment out of planning the trips and researching the caches I want to find when I do cache. So at $6 a gallon, it would still be worth it.

Chris

OT- My caching Mojo has craved long hikes and finding caches that mean something to me for about the last year or so. This helps eliminate alot of driving. I get enjoyment out of planning the trips and researching the caches I want to find when I do cache. So at $6 a gallon, it would still be worth it.

Chris

This is an attitude other folks could learn from. :P

I guess it's about time I answered my own question.... :P

Most of my caching is done on trips and I take extra time to fit the activity in. The cost of gas isn't going to change things much where my Cachin' Mojo is concerned. :unsure:

I cache very little when I'm at home, so I doubt I'd even consider the cost of gas on the odd day when I do head out just to cache.

Cachin' time for me is either quality time or an opportunistic diversion. Either way, the cost of gas isn't going to be much of a consideration for me until it starts to get close to $10/gallon.

I just got this about a week ago.. 42mpg (I'd like to think I look better on this than in a Prius)

custom.jpg

I have one of these and it gets about 12 to 14 mpg depending on how much throttle I put on it.

vmax_at_Trent_Park_c.jpg

My SUV gets better mileage, but it can't do this:

vmax_2005_smoky.jpg

I need to drive my Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (3.4L V6) until 2009...

Then I buy a Honda Civic Hybrid...

So, hopefully gas prices won't hit $8 per gallon until 2009 :P

Honestly though, I am hoping that we figure something else out - maybe switch over completely to Ethanol like they did in Columbia (I think - it is one of those slightly messed up South American countries).

Ethanol isn't much more environmentally friendly than gas, but we can produce it for less money, and we don't have to go through the middle east to get to it (last time I checked, Nebraska didn't want to nuke anyone).

Either way, I'm stuck at 22mpg in my Olds until 2009 :P

You might want to re-check your facts on that ethanol thing there. I've read reports that it actually requires more energy to produce it than it creates when burned. In those terms, its a loser. However for fairly obvious reasons, certain members of the farming industry strongly favor a switch to more use of ethanol. I think that it has something to do with money.

I anticipate that the time will come when I load the bicycle and park in a convenient location to several caches.

I've been thinking about this lately...

I live in an area where several cache owners are also avid road or mtn bikers. Right now I drive or hike but there are so many caches that are placed along bike routes. Very tempting...

I have always made a point to ride my bike whilst caching. You really get to see a lot more riding 20-40 miles through town than you would in a car. Granted, it limits my number of finds, but I have a lot more fun doing it.

After a year of geocaching on foot or wheels, it seems almost ridiculous to jump in the car to drive to the park to find something in the wood and come back again.

I'm sure Bush doesn't hate high gas prices!

Anyway, I get about 12 mpg in my 95 Passport. I can barely afford $3.25 as it is. If it hits $4, I'm parking the Passport and buying a scooter.

Holy cow! My full sized, V8 powered truck, hauling my 20' boat gets better fuel milage than that! Forget the scooter, just buy any other car than that!

you have to look at it the way golfers do. you need a "bag" (garage full) of different motor vehicles (clubs).

a Smart 2 for the daily commute , a 4wd of your choice for caching, a diesel tow vehicle for your travel

trailer, or a class A-C motor home, then just throw in a new cute ute for the wife, a mini-sport ute for the

kid, and top all this off with a fine German Autobahn Hammer sedan to cruise to the bistro on Fri. night.

where will it all end. we have turned into a blind alley with our fossil fuel addiction. but hey were just having

fun, right? if you want to play ya gotsta pay.

i rationalize, by saying to myself as i'm pumping the liquid gold into the tank, 3? maybe 4? caches per gallon. you have to look as if it is entertainment.

but take an example from the rest of the worlds drivers it can get a lot more expensive, we have it easy here in the good old USA. :P

you have to look at it the way golfers do. you need a "bag" (garage full) of different motor vehicles (clubs).

a Smart 2 for the daily commute , a 4wd of your choice for caching, a diesel tow vehicle for your travel

trailer, or a class A-C motor home, then just throw in a new cute ute for the wife, a mini-sport ute for the

kid, and top all this off with a fine German Autobahn Hammer sedan to cruise to the bistro on Fri. night.

I just drive my little subcompact like it's an SUV with 4WD :P

I've never been stuck but I did tear up the sheild under the front of it on a horrible dirt road; looked like we could make it, till I got around the bend and WHOA, still went a few more hundred yards though before parking and walking. Thought all was well until we were back on concrete and umm, whats that scraping?...I'm a little more careful now

We, as I have said before in similar threads here devoted to the same topic, I am not really sure what people are getting in a tither about. When I was in India two years ago for a month, my driver was paying at least $2.75 per liter of gas; that comes to over $10 per gallon, and my sister, who lives in Europe, tells me that gasoline is and always has been quite expensive in many countries in Europe. And, some of my consulting clients tell me that gas is quite expensive in most parts of Russia and the old Soviet Republic. So, bottom line is that most of us North Americans have enjoyed underpriced gasoline for a long time, and in many other parts of the world, folks have paid much more than the earlier-cited (by the OP) $6 per gallon for many years.

In any case, our old 2000 Toyota Corolla gets about 39 MPG in city/combined driving and about 44 mpg or better on the highway, and so that is hardly anything to complain about. And, since I tend to pick and choose the caches which I hunt very carefully, and tend to hunt only caches which are really important to me, I do not rack up much mileage due to geocaching anyway.

Also, if you get really desperate, you can skip using your fuel-powered automobile entirely, and, simply go to Ikea, the worldwide retail vendor of Scandinavian furniture and cultural oddities in kit form, which is now offering a fully-functional Star Gate kit to consumers via it retail stores, at least to those who can afford the price tag. The first of the Ikea kit Star Gates were offered for sale at an Ikea store in Manhattan (NYC) in late June 2007, and they appear to be selling well since then.

Lastly, if gas prices go really high, and if enuf geocachers start whining about it here, well, maybe I will go into my lab and invent some kind of subquantum space-time friction smoother device that people can install in their cars to triple their fuel mileage.

We, as I have said before in similar threads here devoted to the same topic, I am not really sure what people are getting in a tither about. When I was in India two years ago for a month, my driver was paying at least $2.75 per liter of gas; that comes to over $10 per gallon, and my sister, who lives in Europe, tells me that gasoline is and always has been quite expensive in many countries in Europe. And, some of my consulting clients tell me that gas is quite expensive in most parts of Russia and the old Soviet Republic. So, bottom line is that most of us North Americans have enjoyed underpriced gasoline for a long time, and in many other parts of the world, folks have paid much more than the earlier-cited (by the OP) $6 per gallon for many years.

Our gas in the US is not underpriced. We just don't tax it as much like the rest of the world does. When petroleum goes up on the world market it affects everyone and prices rise (Europe included), plus it effects us worse in the US since the dollar has dropped in value when compared to the Euro.

Edited by supertbone

Hey UMP, Where are you. Here in the Alice we are hitting 1,60/litre for diesel.

Perhaps if more money was spent on alternative fuels and less on killing people over oil we wouldn't be in this predicament

Tesla Motors

Phoenix Motor Cars

T-Zero

Some really awesome cars.

Considering that most people travel less than 50km to get to work these vehicles would more that suffice.

[edit]Broken fingers[/edit]

Edited by tttedzeins

Perhaps if more money was spent on alternative fuels and less on killing people over oil we wouldn't be in this predicament

There are alternatives already. But why would I pay twice as much for the alternative fuel? Like was said before, your gas (aka petrol) is so expensive because your government taxes the holy heck out of it. As soon as one of the alternative fuels becomes mainstream, the corporations and government will eventually find a way to get every penny out of you for it.

Thanks for the political commentary, but these problems were around long before the terrorists decided they wanted to kill 3000 American Citizens, aka - Killing people over oil.

How about we stick to the real topic?

When it hits $8.00/gal I'll start to worry. Until then I'm burning it like there's no tomorrow. B):DB)

Must be nice.... I have already cut way back on when and where I go. Sunday afternoon pleasure drives? Furgheddaboutit! :P:laughing:

Thank God. I despise old people out for their 'Sunday pleasure drives'!

Getouttamyway! B)

michelle

(only slightly kidding)

Hey! Who you calling OLD??? :D At least I don't consider myself "curmudgeonly" yet! B)

[There are alternatives already. But why would I pay twice as much for the alternative fuel? Like was said before, your gas (aka petrol) is so expensive because your government taxes the holy heck out of it. As soon as one of the alternative fuels becomes mainstream, the corporations and government will eventually find a way to get every penny out of you for it.

Thanks for the political commentary, but these problems were around long before the terrorists decided they wanted to kill 3000 American Citizens, aka - Killing people over oil.

Whoa, way to get your knickers in a not.

A bit touchy are we ?

[There are alternatives already. But why would I pay twice as much for the alternative fuel? Like was said before, your gas (aka petrol) is so expensive because your government taxes the holy heck out of it. As soon as one of the alternative fuels becomes mainstream, the corporations and government will eventually find a way to get every penny out of you for it.

Whoa, way to get your knickers in a not.

A bit touchy are we ?

Okayyy, let's just stick to the topic of how impending higher prices for gas may or may not affect your cachin' mojo. Mmmkayyy? :laughing:

If a mod feels the need to step in, you can go ahead and close the thread. :P

People will have to go by foot, bike, use public transportation. Less car, less pollution too.

Physical exercise, better living condition will lead to a healthier population.

Less medical care, spending in crazy "slim fast" products etc... , lot of savings and more productive people. This will compensate for an aging population too (fat is more a prolem than age !!!).

More technology, innovation to improve efficiency too because we still need cars and the like etc...

Not bad after all, we have tackled more serious problems !

The real issue of the oil cost is that all this money is going to rogue countries whose backward ideology is spreading the world over, buying key companies and minds (corrupt politicians, United Nation org...) in the hatred west, financing terrorism and promoting an archaic type of society reluctant to any kind of improvement be it social (see the sorry state of womans for example) or scientific.

Edited by Suscrofa

I'd better not even start ranting, the thread will probabaly get closed.

Not related to GeoCaching, and I have no figures to back up my theory, but I think the only reason prices are going so high is that the oil producers have finally realised that within just a few years we will not be using it anymore, and they must milk out every penny they can while they have the chance.

Next rant. The prices have been allowed to go so high because the damand has not gone away. the saddest part of this is that personal spending habits have not changed that much in the meantime, and the inflated cost of the fuel is being added to the debt burden of each of us. we are going further into debt (or staying there)as we put all that money directly into the pockets of billionaires.

anyway, now that I'm frothing at the mouth...

I'm sure Bush doesn't hate high gas prices!

Anyway, I get about 12 mpg in my 95 Passport. I can barely afford $3.25 as it is. If it hits $4, I'm parking the Passport and buying a scooter.

Holy cow! My full sized, V8 powered truck, hauling my 20' boat gets better fuel milage than that! Forget the scooter, just buy any other car than that!

Umm, yeah, I get better than 6mpg in an 80,000lb truck, what's up with that Passport?

I drive a Honda. Gas prices don't concern me.

Toyota, same difference :P

When I pull up to a gas station though and see what the last guy paid :laughing:

Just curious: How do you guys feel about living in a state where your government prevents you from enjoying the self-service option? How many extra dollars per tankful does that friendly bit of forced-convenience legislation cost you?

It's nice to have an attendant pump your gas for you, but it isn't free. Governor Corzine wanted to change New Jersey’s full-service-only law and allow retailers to offer self-service gas, which he said could potentially save you guys 6 cents per gallon or more (others estimate the cost of the full-service law to be as high as 15 cents per gallon).

”The result was a near revolt.”

It’s interesting. People seem to love to scream about gas prices and demand government intervention without a care as to what a forced reduction in prices might do to someone else, but ... as soon as a price reduction means a potential inconvenience for themselves the price suddenly doesn’t matter so much any more.

Never mind the idea that the inconvenience would only be voluntary since retailers would probably continue to offer full-service gas alongside self-service in order to compete and keep their customers happy.

I’ve been curious, but I’ve never actually asked someone who lives in New Jersey, so: Are you guys for or against your state's law?

Uh, yet you still have one of the lowest gas taxes/prices in the nation...........

When we totaled my Mitsubishi Montero Sport last May, it was getting a measly 16mpg. I knew I wanted something more fuel efficient but the Montero was paid for.

When we had the accident I already knew what I wanted. There is only ONE vehicle option that offers 3 rows of seats for under $20K. ONE. For environment conscious families who need a little more cargo or passenger space, there is very little choice. I got my Mazda5 and and love it.

The key is to get the auto manufacturing companies to make more fuel efficient vehicles!

My caching has definitely taken a hit b/c of the gas prices. Last spring, I was having to fill up that Montero Sport multiple times per week b/c the cache density in Savannah is so low. Now that I've got my Mazda5 and there are some new caches in the area, I need to plan out a smart route to get some of the good ones before we move in March.

I saw on the news that the prediction is for gas to top out at $6.00+ a gallon over the next 2 years and to STAY that way for awhile. That's roughly what they are paying in Europe the last time I saw their cost per liter converted.

How will this affect your cachin' mojo IF it becomes reality?

segway_beta.jpg