Etiquette on placing your own caches

craftyslh

I've heard that there is an "unwritten" etiquette about placing your own cache.

Eg you shouldn't place your own cache until you've reached a certain number of finds,

and similarly, for every x number of finds you should place a cache.

I have tried searching the GC site and also the forum but can't find anything about etiquette of placing. We have a couple of boxes that we are preparing and thinking about suitable locations, I think this is half of the fun.

Any tips gratefully received.

Place a cache when you're moved to! If you have a spot you'd like to share, do it.

Please really read the guidelines for cache listings.

Once you've written up the cache page, take a minute to check the map links on the page (they'll work, even before the cache is published). Checking those links will allow you to verify that the coords you've entered on the form really = your cache location (to within a few hundred feet anyway). No typos, no wrong datum...

You might also go to the UK geocaching org website (assuming there is one) and look for land manager policy. Or the profile page of the local reviewer might have that info.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Hide what you like to find.

As above, I have seen crappy caches I didn't enjoy very much from hiders with many, MANY finds and hides. Then I have found some first hides from people with a few finds that were just fantastic.

Enjoy! If I get to your side of the pond I will look forward to finding them!

PP4x4

Eg you shouldn't place your own cache until you've reached a certain number of finds,

I have tried searching the GC site and also the forum but can't find anything about etiquette of placing. We have a couple of boxes that we are preparing and thinking about suitable locations, I think this is half of the fun.

There is no such rule, written or un-written. There are some people who believe this should be the case, but I say poppycock!

As far as tips.

1. Read the guidelines .

2. Once you've skimmed through them, really read them.

3. Choose a good location, ideally where searchers won't be observed if you want the cache to last.

4. Choose a quality container (water proof and durable).

5. Maintain your cache and remove it when you are no longer interested in taking care of it.

6. Oh, read the guidelines again.

I find the idea of "Caching Karma" an interesting one. I was introduced to this concept through the GSAK macro FindStatsGen3 by lignumaqua. For those not familiar, Caching Karma is simply a ratio of finds made on caches you own to finds you've made on others' caches. My current Caching Karma is .41 (95/233). I only have four placed caches (I just started caching in June of this year), so I'm basically just getting started. Of course, my primary goal in placing caches isn't to increase my Caching Karma, nor is it to simply accumulate cache hide numbers. Like most others, I place a cache for one of three reasons: to draw people to a certain area that I believe has some significance in the area, to give seekers an experience that I believe will enrich them in some way, or because I want to provide a challenging search that will end with a very satisfying find.

...Any tips gratefully received.

There are two schools of thought.

A) Find a bunch of caches so you can "see what it's about" then place your own.

:unsure: Follow your muse and place when you are ready regardless of how many caches you have found.

I belong to B. My first cache remains a good one. I've placed bad caches later after a truckload of finds. If you are going to be creative you will have both good and bad. That's the nature of the beast.

I find the idea of "Caching Karma" an interesting one. I was introduced to this concept through the GSAK macro FindStatsGen3 by lignumaqua. For those not familiar, Caching Karma is simply a ratio of finds made on caches you own to finds you've made on others' caches. My current Caching Karma is .41 (95/233). I only have four placed caches (I just started caching in June of this year), so I'm basically just getting started. Of course, my primary goal in placing caches isn't to increase my Caching Karma, nor is it to simply accumulate cache hide numbers. Like most others, I place a cache for one of three reasons: to draw people to a certain area that I believe has some significance in the area, to give seekers an experience that I believe will enrich them in some way, or because I want to provide a challenging search that will end with a very satisfying find.

Thanks for letting me know about this feature of GSAK.

I was unaware of it. I was just manually posting my Cache/Hide ratio.

Which is currently 10:1.6 1.8 by this weekend.

As to OP topic. you'll find hundreds of different opinions on what is proper "Hiding etiquette".

One of your best bets is to remember the main three things about hides.

Guidelines, Location, Container.

Always make sure those three things are in check.

A wise cacher once told me, when we were at our first event cache: "People don't know you by your finds, they know you by your hides. Place them well, because your reputation is based primarily on them."

There is no required "number of finds" or any other etiquette required before placing your first cache... other than reading, understanding and following the Groundspeak guidelines.

Some folks think (myself included) that you'll be better equipped to place a cache once you've found a few. But there are many exceptions to that as well.

When you've got a great thought... read the guidelines and go!

DCC

Odd that a long essay on the merits of quality in one's endeavors and respect for others would be written in white font on a black background in size one text. Is he kidding? To me, that shows disrespect for the reader tantamount to be the equivalent of "Ha ha, no hint for you!" or hiding a micro under a rock amidst hundreds of rocks.

Dave wrote a very nice article on quality work and showing respect for compatriots. He should practice it himself.

RATTLEBARS

...I was introduced to this concept through the GSAK macro FindStatsGen3 by lignumaqua...

...Thanks for letting me know about this feature of GSAK.

I was unaware of it. I was just manually posting my Cache/Hide ratio...

Well, unfortunately, due to the 25 logs limitation of GPX exports from GC.com, I do actually have to do some manual calculations for those of my cache hides with more than 20-couple finds. I mentioned that macro introduced me to the concept, and I still use the macro, but it doesn't completely accurately portray my current Caching Karma. :unsure:

Odd that a long essay on the merits of quality in one's endeavors and respect for others would be written in white font on a black background in size one text. Is he kidding? To me, that shows disrespect for the reader tantamount to be the equivalent of "Ha ha, no hint for you!" or hiding a micro under a rock amidst hundreds of rocks.

Dave wrote a very nice article on quality work and showing respect for compatriots. He should practice it himself.

RATTLEBARS

Next time you have otherwise-useful criticism to offer, may I suggest that a. you do so constructively instead of crassly, and b. you do so via private Email and address me directly, as opposed to publicly and via the third-person ("he...") as you have done? I might just have a little more respect for you.

Still, your basic point, however classlessly you have stated it, has merit. I have re-published the articles in a larger font.

Allow me now to respond in kind and offer you a PUBLIC lesson on the difference between proper constructive criticism that might be well-received and respected, vs. what you posted here: Compare what you posted here publicly, and the manner in which you did, vs. a PRIVATE Email to me that would have said something along the lines of: "Hey Dave, you wrote a very nice and useful article, but the font and color on your site make it a bit hard to read. Any chance you could increase the size and/or change the color scheme to help that out?" You think that maybe, just maybe, I might have reacted a bit differently and with more respect toward you if you had done that? Hmmmm?

Edited by drat19

RATTLEBARS

I found the article to be well written and very informative. I think much os what is written there applies to most fo the threads/troll wars going on here.

But then, there are always people who will do anything to try to start a fight with anyone. These sad, pathic individuals love to hide behind the monitor and throw insults and jabs. Such is life.

On the topic of the OP, Hide the types of caches you enjoy finding.

Edited by scuba dude

These sad, pathic individuals love to hide behind the monitor and throw insults and jabs. Such is life.

I think you meant "Pathetic".. Just a note: nowhere in the post did he call Dave names or insult him personally, only how the page looked. In your post, you called him sad and pathetic. If the link to the website is posted to the public, then publicly being critical of the site or content should be allowed. Publically calling people sad and pathetic should not be allowed.

Read the forum guidelines.

Edited by ReadyOrNot

Just a note: nowhere in the post did he call Dave names or insult him personally, only how the page looked.

Obviously this thread is now going off-track, so my apologies to the OP. Since that other poster elected to make this a public discussion, I will continue to respond publicly as well:

ReadyOrNot, please scroll up and re-read the comments. You are correct, he did not insult me personally per se, but he did indicate that my page layout was disrespectful to its readers and that I was thus not being respectful. Furthermore, he did this publicly and non-constructively as opposed to privately and constructively. Please read my response above and ask yourself: Would you feel the same as me if the post were made in the way he did, vs. the alternative that I suggested?

Folks, this is PERTINENT to this thread in terms of how you might respond to fellow cachers as to the quality of their caches as well. Private, constructive criticism goes a H*LL of a lot farther than public insult, even if your underlying point otherwise has merit (as Rattlebars' point did beneath his poor choice of style in presenting it).

Edited by drat19

Just a note: nowhere in the post did he call Dave names or insult him personally, only how the page looked.

Obviously this thread is now going off-track, so my apologies to the OP. Since that other poster elected to make this a public discussion, I will continue to respond publicly as well:

ReadyOrNot, please scroll up and re-read the comments. You are correct, he did not insult me personally per se, but he did indicate that my page layout was disrespectful to its readers and that I was thus not being respectful. Furthermore, he did this publicly and non-constructively as opposed to privately and constructively. Please read my response above and ask yourself: Would you feel the same as me if the post were made in the way he did, vs. the alternative that I suggested?

Folks, this is PERTINENT to this thread in terms of how you might respond to fellow cachers as to the quality of their caches as well. Private, constructive criticism goes a H*LL of a lot farther than public insult, even if your underlying point otherwise has merit (as Rattlebars' point did beneath his poor choice of style in presenting it).

It seemed fine to me... He even said that the article was good. Time to move on?

These sad, pathic individuals love to hide behind the monitor and throw insults and jabs. Such is life.

I think you meant "Pathetic".. Just a note: nowhere in the post did he call Dave names or insult him personally, only how the page looked. In your post, you called him sad and pathetic. If the link to the website is posted to the public, then publicly being critical of the site or content should be allowed. Publically calling people sad and pathetic should not be allowed.

Read the forum guidelines.

Thank you for the catching the typo, I did indeed mean "pathetic".

I didn't say anyone by name was pathetic. I wasn't refering to his post in that comment. I quoted his post, then posted my thought about the relevance of the page.

Are you disagreeing that this forum (and 99% of all forums for that matter) have members who will pick a fight with anyone over anything? These same people who are always in verbal fights in most of the threads they inject themselves into.

Such is life, but you are leaning toward proving my point.

Thanks for you input.

RATTLEBARS

You worked pretty hard to invent disrespect to find fault with. Meanwhile you failed utterly to show any respect yourself. I'm impressed that they did take the time to find the useful content in your post. That's the mark of a person who does think about their compatriots and who is working to do the right thing. Things worthy of respect. :unsure:

Ready or Not.

Somtimes it's now what's said so much as how you say it. That a diplomat can tell you to go to hell in a way that has you looking forward to the trip doesn't change that they told you to go to hell.

It seemed fine to me... He even said that the article was good. Time to move on?

I think his comments would have been better delivered by him, and received by me, privately and constructively. You obviously think his comments, delivered publicly and in the third-person fashion that they were, were just fine. We agree to disagree, then.

Thank you for confirming why I used to frequent these forums on a daily basis, but now only come here once every month, or even less often than that. You have a nice day.

:unsure: Here we go again.

Heh! I must admit that I've gotten into more than my fair share of debates on these forums about Micro Spew and The New Numbers Game (I've given up fighting those, by the way...I've come to realize it's a losing battle - the masses have spoken and that's what they want), but this is the first time I've ever gotten into it publicly regarding my choice of fonts and colors on my web site, and the differences between public and private, and constructive vs. non-constructive criticism. And the funniest (and saddest) part is that all I did was post a one-line response/link to an article I wrote almost 4 years ago, that is directly pertinent to the OP.

THIS is a new one! :D

Edited by drat19

Heh! I must admit that I've gotten into more than my fair share of debates on these forums about Micro Spew and The New Numbers Game (I've given up fighting those, by the way...I've come to realize it's a losing battle - the masses have spoken and that's what they want), but this is the first time I've ever gotten into it publicly regarding my choice of fonts and colors on my web site, and the differences between public and private, and constructive vs. non-constructive criticism. And the funniest (and saddest) part is that all I did was post a one-line response/link to an article I wrote almost 4 years ago, that is directly pertinent to the OP.

Perhaps its because i'm in the IT profession (specifically web design). I can't speak for Rattlebars, but I'm guessing that's where he's coming from also. Looking at a white font on a black background is a similar feeling to finding a broken plastic tupperware container hidden in a nasty wet used tire (which I have found by the way)..

Perhaps everyone is being a bit too sensitive. It was a very good article and the content was great!

NO, you can all take it to PM, email, etc.. Further posts to this topic with personal bickering will result in the loss of posting privileges (which goes for each account involved, not just the one I'm responding to). Nobody has the right to continuously derail a topic because they feel the need to discuss their private issues in public.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that are off topic may be closed by the moderator.

Let me know (via PM or email) if there's something there that isn't clear.

Thanks.

Edited by Quiggle

Perhaps its because i'm in the IT profession (specifically web design). I can't speak for Rattlebars, but I'm guessing that's where he's coming from also. Looking at a white font on a black background is a similar feeling to finding a broken plastic tupperware container hidden in a nasty wet used tire (which I have found by the way)..

Perhaps everyone is being a bit too sensitive. It was a very good article and the content was great!

Fair enough, but hopefully you see my point (which Scuba and RK also echoed in slightly different language) regarding how Rattlebars chose to deliver his otherwise-useful message. (You should have seen my initial reply, which I subsequently edited - let's just say it included the phrase "GFY"....)

I'm also in the IT profession, although not in web design. As I'm sure you obviously saw, I used a site template that I acquired, as my basic page format. (My site/page format *before* I recently overhauled it had a color scheme was probably easier on the eyes, but the page formats were awful...very "1997"!) This new color scheme happens to work great (well, *I* think so) for the majority of my pages, which are graphic in nature, but you're right, for text-based material like these articles I can certainly see your point. I increased the font for those articles as a short-term fix, but based on this discussion I'm going to rethink my color schemes as well, for these pages where text is dominant.

Thanks for the worthwhile discussion (now); perhaps others reading it might benefit as well (even though we're totally off-topic from the OP!).

(***EDIT: Quiggle, I just saw your post above, which you were obviously posting at the same time as I was. This will be my last off-topic post on this.)

Edited by drat19

I find the idea of "Caching Karma" an interesting one. I was introduced to this concept through the GSAK macro FindStatsGen3 by lignumaqua. For those not familiar, Caching Karma is simply a ratio of finds made on caches you own to finds you've made on others' caches.

Hm, interesting if it's as simple as you describe it, I could have multiple caches like this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fc-9cd11c4a411f

And, have say 2000 finds, but I'd have low karma...conversely, I could have a bunch of urban skirt-lifters and have high karma? Am I understanding how that works correctly?

I find the idea of "Caching Karma" an interesting one. I was introduced to this concept through the GSAK macro FindStatsGen3 by lignumaqua. For those not familiar, Caching Karma is simply a ratio of finds made on caches you own to finds you've made on others' caches.

Hm, interesting if it's as simple as you describe it, I could have multiple caches like this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fc-9cd11c4a411f

And, have say 2000 finds, but I'd have low karma...conversely, I could have a bunch of urban skirt-lifters and have high karma? Am I understanding how that works correctly?

In the interest of not going off-topic in this thread, I have created a new thread that discusses the topic of quantifying one's contribution to the game, Caching Karma or otherwise:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=181164

RATTLEBARS

Next time you have otherwise-useful criticism to offer, may I suggest that a. you do so constructively instead of crassly, and b. you do so via private Email and address me directly, as opposed to publicly and via the third-person ("he...") as you have done? I might just have a little more respect for you.

Still, your basic point, however classlessly you have stated it, has merit. I have re-published the articles in a larger font.

Allow me now to respond in kind and offer you a PUBLIC lesson on the difference between proper constructive criticism that might be well-received and respected, vs. what you posted here: Compare what you posted here publicly, and the manner in which you did, vs. a PRIVATE Email to me that would have said something along the lines of: "Hey Dave, you wrote a very nice and useful article, but the font and color on your site make it a bit hard to read. Any chance you could increase the size and/or change the color scheme to help that out?" You think that maybe, just maybe, I might have reacted a bit differently and with more respect toward you if you had done that? Hmmmm?

Your assessment is correct. My post was carellessly written without much forethought. I offer my sincere apologies and will try to behave with more class in the future. There was no intent to start any flame wars as some have asserted.

RATTLEBARS

RATTLEBARS

Your assessment is correct. My post was carellessly written without much forethought. I offer my sincere apologies and will try to behave with more class in the future. There was no intent to start any flame wars as some have asserted.

RATTLEBARS

What a classy (and respectful) response. Takes a lot of cojones to disengage and publicly apologize with humility in these situations. Kudos. Wish I had more of that ability.

RATTLEBARS

RATTLEBARS

Thank you. Very good of you to respond publicly with that...hopefully the mods won't ban us both for achieving closure on this debate.

Thank you. Very good of you to respond publicly with that...hopefully the mods won't ban us both for achieving closure on this debate.

I cruise motorcycle forums where the decorum is a bit more coarse than here. White on Black is one of my pet peeves plus the small font - I got a headache after only the first few paragraphs. But the article was so good, I just hi-lite/copy/paste into my text editor and finished up reading.

I'm glad I did. It was intelligently written an excellent read.

Thanks for accepting my apology. You are a gentleman.

I partly agree with the first example because people should get an idea of what makes a good cache, etc. Maybe find 50 at least before placing one.

I don't agree with the second example. You should only find as many as you want and you should only place as many as you want. I don't feel I'm violating etiquette by finding a lot of caches and only owning a couple.

I partly agree with the first example because people should get an idea of what makes a good cache, etc. Maybe find 50 at least before placing one.

I don't agree with the second example. You should only find as many as you want and you should only place as many as you want. I don't feel I'm violating etiquette by finding a lot of caches and only owning a couple.

How is finding 50 bad caches going to show someone how to hide a good cache? You would hope that after finding 50 caches that at least a few would be well though out caches but in cache dense areas you really can do 50 caches without finding a good one.

Also setting an arbitrary number to find doesn't work everywhere. Some area just aren't as cache dense as other. For example in Hawaii the island of Kauai has less than 80 caches on it. 50 caches would mean someone would have to have to find more than half the caches on the island before being able to place one. A better method would be to have them find a wide range of different types of caches. But then again that leads to problems because some places don't a wide a range of different cache types. I don't spend too much time worrying about this because bad caches tend to weed themselves out and get archived. If there was no way to archive a cache then placement would be critical. But since there is I don't see why cachers can't learn to place good caches by placing bad caches, learning from it and improving that and future hides.