Bookmark Lists

sciuchetti

I have a few bookmark lists that are over 50 caches. Some are quite a bit more than that. Often (but not always) they get stuck on the first page of caches.

Even when the page list says that I am on page 4 it only shows page 1 caches. If I completely get out of the bookmark page and re-enter, it sometimes fixes (but not always). This happens close to 75% of the time I use my large bookmarks.

I have a few bookmark lists that are over 50 caches. Some are quite a bit more than that. Often (but not always) they get stuck on the first page of caches.

Even when the page list says that I am on page 4 it only shows page 1 caches. If I completely get out of the bookmark page and re-enter, it sometimes fixes (but not always). This happens close to 75% of the time I use my large bookmarks.

This is an old problem. When you first load the bookmark page select "50" and then hit page one. This seems to work most of the time. Once you hit page 2 it seems to hang up.

This is an old problem. When you first load the bookmark page select "50" and then hit page one. This seems to work most of the time. Once you hit page 2 it seems to hang up.

I wish there would be another option right after 50 called ALL. Even after this long anoying problem gets fixed such an option would be very usefull for bookmark lists.

I think it's funny... On occasion I look at someones bookmark list, and it says I'm on page 3 of 1. Usually clicking on page 1 fixes it.

I have been having the same problem and I am starting to wonder when this issue will be fixed.

Well . . . don't hold your breath. The first time I reported this problem more than two years ago . . . :D I do think it is interesting that pages work properly elsewhere on the site, just not for Bookmarks . . . :D Maybe someone more familiar with HTML can explain why this problem has been impossible to fix, even though a complaint shows up in the Forums about once a month. . . . :)

I think it's funny... On occasion I look at someones bookmark list, and it says I'm on page 3 of 1. Usually clicking on page 1 fixes it.

I have been having the same problem and I am starting to wonder when this issue will be fixed.

I bet V2 will fix this. :D

Edited by TrailGators

It seemed to work OK for a few days earlier this week and last, but it's back to it's old tricks again now and is driving me nuts trying to manage one of my lists.

Please add my name to list of those who would like to be able to list ALL book marks in a list on one page.

Thanks.

Today we hotfixed the "page 3 of 1" bug. We're also looking at some other bugs which have been reported regarding bookmarks so please comment on your "favorite".

Here's one... not sure whether I'd label it my "favorite" or not, but it's pretty repeatable, and has been for years.

The issue has some subtle variations in its manifestations, depending on a few factors. The easiest way to describe it is to just do a simple step-by-step example:

1. Create a new bookmark list.
  2. Add 20 caches to it.
  3. Look at the bookmark list after you've created 20. You will see them all there, in alphabetical order. The bottom of the page will say "Total records: 20 - Page 1 of 1"
  4. Write down (or remember) the name of the last cache in the list.
  5. Add a 21st entry to the list -- one that is alphabetically somewhere before the last entry.
  6. Look at the list again. The bottom of the page will say "Total records: 21 - Page 1 of 2"
  7. Scan the first 20 items. Your new entry is not there. The list ends with the old 20th entry.
  8. Go to the second page.
  9. You won't see anything there... the second page is blank.
  10. Go back to page 1. Change the number-of-entries-per-page from 20 to 25.
  11. Note that the bottom now says "Total records: 21 - Page 1 of 1".
  12. Count the numbers of entries you actually see. There will only be 20. The new one is still missing.
  13. Go away and come back tomorrow.
  14. Look at the bookmark list again. This time you will be able to see all 21 entries.

Important note: I just ran through this procedure three times as I was writing it up and checking it. The first and third times, it behaved as described above. The middle time, it worked as it should.

I don't know what makes it work occasionally, but misbehave more often than not.

edit: so many typos...

Edited by the hermit crabs

I think there might be a synchonization issue.

I just tured creating a bookmark list and quickly brought the number to 21 caches by using the "GCxxxx" box in the upper right corner of the bookmark page. I then exited the page and came back in and the page said "Total Records: 21 - Page: 1 of 2"

If you view the list and go to page 2 it will produce the wonderful error page (which is a LOT nicer than that stack trace error I used to get).

However, if I come back in an hour, the list will work correctly.

====

Edited to add:

Compound that with that fact that I used the combo-box on the top to make it show 25 caches, and it showed only one - the one that I added by going to the CACHE page and clicking on "Bookmark this Cache". All the others that I did from the GCxxxx box didn't show up unless I exit the Bookmark list and then return - and then it shows 20 and I can't get to #21.

Edited by Markwell

I think there might be a synchonization issue.

I've heard of it described as a synchronization issue before. But what I don't understand is why the first 20 show up immediately? If you look at the bookmark list at any intermediate point when adding the first 20, all of them will be there. As soon as the 21st gets added, suddenly the bookmark list is basically unusable for some long period of time. (Unless the 21st entry is alphabetically the last in the list -- then it appears to be fine.)

It seems that if there were some sort of synchronization issue, then there'd be times when some or all of the first 20 entries wouldn't appear until after some delay, as well.

Edited to add: not that I don't believe it's a synchronization issue -- it would appear to be, since eventually things do get straightened out, given enough time. I just don't understand the synchronization issue. ;)

Edited by the hermit crabs

Compound that with that fact that I used the combo-box on the top to make it show 25 caches, and it showed only one - the one that I added by going to the CACHE page and clicking on "Bookmark this Cache". All the others that I did from the GCxxxx box didn't show up unless I exit the Bookmark list and then return - and then it shows 20 and I can't get to #21.

Note for OpinioNate and Raine: given that Markwell saw his individual bookmark entries behave differently deending on whether they were entered from the "Bookmark this cache" link on the cache page, or the "GCxxxx" box on the bookmark list page, it may be important for you to know (for repeatability) that in the example I described a few posts back, I added all of the entries using the "Bookmark this cache" link on the cache pages.

Today we hotfixed the "page 3 of 1" bug. We're also looking at some other bugs which have been reported regarding bookmarks so please comment on your "favorite".

Here's another "favorite", that's quite alarming the first time it happens to you...

1. Go to your page of bookmark lists.
  2. Scroll down to your favorite one. Preferably one with lots of entries, that took many painstaking hours to create.
  3. Click "edit".
  4. Modify the text in the description, and then click "Edit Bookmark list".
  5. Start to panic when it tells you that you have successfully edited your list, and that it now has zero entries.

(They aren't really gone, but it claims that they are.)

Not a bug, but a request for a couple of related changes, while you're at it:

1. In the list of options for selecting how many caches to display per page, allow "all" (or "500")
  2. Make the number of entries per page permanently remembered, rather than always going back to 20

(I can see that #2 might be difficult, but #1 seems like it should be pretty straightforward?)

Nope!

Still sticks on the same page most of the time.

Sometimes a refresh will give the correct page, sometimes not.

Can you elaborate on this, please? Thanks.

Check my sig for detailed instructions.

Nate

I have a Bookmark list with over 200 caches in it.

When I open it I get the first 20 caches.

I hit next and get the same 20 caches listed.

I then hit refresh and get a "Confirm" message window

"The page you are trying to view contains POSTDATA. If you resend the data, any action the form carried out (such as search or online purchase) will be repeated. To resend the data click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel."

I hit ok and sometimes I get the next page but sometimes I get the first page again.

However the list of pages at the bottom has page 2 highlighted.

I then clicked on page 3 of the list of pages and correctly got the page 3 data. Clicked on page 4 and got page 3 repeated.

I am using firefox at present but had the same trouble with IE.

I had an issue today trying to add a listing to a bookmark list.

I clicked bookmark this listing. When I went to select the list, it just said to select a list. None of my bookmark lists would show up. I ended up going back to the cache listing, then clicking the link to bookmark this listing. On the second attempt, it let me select the list I wanted.

I was excited for a while today. I though it was working correctly.

I opened my bookmark (13 pages) and got the first 20. Went to last page (page 13) and got that correctly. WOW!. [:rolleyes:]

Tried page 12. that worked.

Tried first page - got that too.

Hit next page (page 2) [:wacko:] - got first page again - page list at the bottom of page was saying I should be still on page 13.

That was the end of my happiness - Stuck on page 1 now - can't get any other page even if I refresh the page.

Edited by Crew 153

I had an issue today trying to add a listing to a bookmark list.

I clicked bookmark this listing. When I went to select the list, it just said to select a list. None of my bookmark lists would show up. I ended up going back to the cache listing, then clicking the link to bookmark this listing. On the second attempt, it let me select the list I wanted.

I had it happen again. The same solution solved it, as well.

I had the problem last night. (I use Opera.) Went to Mangle Bookmarks from My Account. Clicked on a bookmark list. For about five minutes I could not see the complete list, no matter what combo I tried of number per page and clicking the various paging links. Finally clicked one of the cache links in the bookmark list and from the cache page clicked on the bookmark link. Immediately all was copacetic.

Something is still broken.

Edward

I'm having the "can't turn the page" issue at the moment.... it's a bookmark list with 118 entries, and no matter which page I attempt to go to, it will only show me the first page. The page number changes, claiming that it's showing me page 5 or 6 or whatever, but it always just shows the first 20 entries.

I tried changing the number of entries per page from 20 to 50. The total page count went down from 6 to 3... but it still only shows me the first twenty entries.

The particular bookmark list had been working correctly just before this error occurred. I edited the comment text in one of the last entries, and then suddenly this "stuck on page 1" error occurred.

For what it's worth, the edit would not have changed the order of any of the bookmark entries, since I was only updating the comment text.

I'm wondering if there is a way to mark multiple cache pages for inclusion into the selected bookmark list...I haven't found a way yet and would appreciate some feedback from those who are able to do this. Thanks!

Edited by GPSTX

Follow-up: I went back to the same bookmark list about 20 minutes later, and it was back to normal.

So this does eventually correct itself, but it certainly is frustrating while it's happening. :ph34r:

To correct it faster, when this bug rears its ugly antennae, simply go to your main bookmark list page and re-select the list at which you want to look.

I was cleaning up a Bookmark List yesterday, choosing the '50' caches-in-the-list option. But, each time I deleted a cache from the list, the Bookmark List went back to showing only '20'. :unsure: It would be nice if the list would stay the way it has been designated, so more caches in a multiple-page Bookmark List can be viewed.