Suggested reading list

EraSeek

Thought I'd start a thread for a reading list that others in our community could add to. General and local, fiction and non-fiction reading included. Related to what we do.

My first entry. Short, historical, science based. Uses a walk along the prime meridian to discuss advancements (and retreats) in human knowledge.

14950837.JPG

"In Walking Zero, Chet Raymo uses the Prime Meridian—the line of zero longitude and the standard for all the world’s maps and clocks—to tell the story of humandkind’s intellectual journey from a cosmos not much larger than ourselves to the universe of the galaxies and geologic eons. "

Edited by EraSeek

"FIRE LOOKOUTS OF THE NORTHWEST"- 3rd Edition

By: Ray Kresek

Features every lookout site (3,133) in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana. Hundreds of true stories about wildfires, wildlife encounters, and what life was like atop those remote and tall, shaky fire lookout towers in the backwoods of America. This book is used as a resource for the Washington Forest Fire Lookout Challenge, the Oregon Forest Fire Lookout Challenge, and the Idaho Forest Fire Lookout Challenge.

504d698c-0926-4ad5-9a1a-b6ae3564b503.jpg

Edited by The Navigatorz

A long time ago, I read Longitude by Dava Sobel. I re-read it last week while on a plane. Good stuff for the likes of us folks. B)

longitude.jpg

From the author's website:

Longitude tells the life-and-death story behind the gridwork of lines that appear on every world map and globe. In the early days of sail, mariners had no accurate means of determining their position at sea. Indeed, the entire Age of Exploration was carried out without anyone's ever knowing where he was! Since ships lost track of their longitude as soon as they lost sight of land, innumerable tragedies befell navies and traders — until John Harrison, a self-educated clockmaker, solved the problem of longitude in the mid-eighteenth century and laid claim to the great Longitude Prize offered by Parliament. Newsweek called the book "Intricate and elegant," noting, "No novelist could improve on the elements of Dava Sobel's Longitude."

A long time ago, I read Longitude by Dava Sobel. I re-read it last week while on a plane. Good stuff for the likes of us folks. B)

longitude.jpg

From the author's website:

Longitude tells the life-and-death story behind the gridwork of lines that appear on every world map and globe. In the early days of sail, mariners had no accurate means of determining their position at sea. Indeed, the entire Age of Exploration was carried out without anyone's ever knowing where he was! Since ships lost track of their longitude as soon as they lost sight of land, innumerable tragedies befell navies and traders — until John Harrison, a self-educated clockmaker, solved the problem of longitude in the mid-eighteenth century and laid claim to the great Longitude Prize offered by Parliament. Newsweek called the book "Intricate and elegant," noting, "No novelist could improve on the elements of Dava Sobel's Longitude."

I had forgotten about this book after reading it several years ago. It is an interesting read and sheds some light on the longitude problem. I highly recommend it. Thanks to Miss Jenn for the reminder. I shall have to peruse my copy again.

I just love books. Here are a few more:

2144874984_6bec8a299d.jpg2144081139_0fdfbb1dc1_o.jpg2144081171_148664cd96_o.jpg2144875018_e71b88a918_o.jpg

The novel that Lizzy referred to is Abomination by Colleen Coble. The other books are LOOKOUTS: Firewatchers of the Cascades and Olympics, 2nd Edition by Ira Spring and Byron Fish, Local Treasures: Geocaching Across America by Margot Anne Kelley and Frank Gohlke (a photo book), and Open Your Heart with Geocaching: Mastering Life through Love of Exploration by Jeannette Cezanne.

I've got to check out Miss Jenn's book.

Another great book to read. Cover to cover suspense will keep you on the edge of your seat. Once you start reading, you won't want to put it down until you are finished. But when you do finish, you can pick up another in the series, such as Idaho, Oregon, and several others by the same author. Maybe Hollywood will make a movie based on the book, The Gazetteer? :rolleyes:

DeLorme%20WA%20Atl%20Gaz.jpg

Seriously though, a great handy atlas of the state to have whether you are doing the Delorme Challenge or not.

Another great book to read. Cover to cover suspense will keep you on the edge of your seat. Once you start reading, you won't want to put it down until you are finished. But when you do finish, you can pick up another in the series, such as Idaho, Oregon, and several others by the same author. Maybe Hollywood will make a movie based on the book, The Gazetteer? :)

Seriously though, a great handy atlas of the state to have whether you are doing the Delorme Challenge or not.

Don't laugh too hard - but I did "read" these from cover to cover. I have such a fascination with maps & went over my Delormes (more than one state) with a fine tooth comb trying to find those elusive ghost towns a few years back. It was like Christmas to me when they published the Nevada Atlas...

Another great book to read. Cover to cover suspense will keep you on the edge of your seat. Once you start reading, you won't want to put it down until you are finished. But when you do finish, you can pick up another in the series, such as Idaho, Oregon, and several others by the same author. Maybe Hollywood will make a movie based on the book, The Gazetteer? :anibad:

Don't laugh too hard - but I did "read" these from cover to cover. I have such a fascination with maps & went over my Delormes (more than one state) with a fine tooth comb trying to find those elusive ghost towns a few years back. It was like Christmas to me when they published the Nevada Atlas...

And the new edition is so different visually that it is almost like a brand new book! Certainly worth a bit of time to "reread"!

Another great book to read. Cover to cover suspense will keep you on the edge of your seat. Once you start reading, you won't want to put it down until you are finished. But when you do finish, you can pick up another in the series, such as Idaho, Oregon, and several others by the same author. Maybe Hollywood will make a movie based on the book, The Gazetteer? :anibad:

I'm not laughing, Lizzy. I enjoy a good Gazetteer. It seems like even though I think I've read it cover to cover every time I pick it up and thumb through it I see something I hadn't already seen, or at least don't remember seeing.

I love to read, but don't have time for real novels mostly because when I read a book I'm not a "savorer", I'm a "gotta get this read and find out what happens" kinda reader. I have a friend who reads a minimum of five books at one time, just a couple of pages here and there. It works for her, but not for me. I can't focus on more than one story at a time and when I do get involved in a novel/story I tend to over focus on it and that causes my laundry and dishes to pile up. So mostly I read cache pages now, but, here's our current bathroom reading -

51YT27JCNSL.jpg

It has the same feel as the Gazetteer, which is probably why we like it so much. If you're interested visit this link for a little sample.

Great topic!!

"Pioneers of Lake View: A Guide to Seattle's Early Settlers and Their Cemetery" by Robert L. Ferguson

I've wandered around Lake View Cemetery on Capitol Hill a few times and knew may of the pioneers of Seattle were buried here, I occasionally ran into one or two of them, but now I have a resource. This book is laid out as a walking tour, but also includes a map of the cemetery in the back. Received the book for Christmas, looking very forward to visiting again now that I know where everyone is buried.

Earth Cache 101

Or

Hiking Washington's Geology

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Washingtons-G...7767&sr=8-1

I borrowed heavily from this book in developing my earth cache.

Yep, I've used that one!

For my local Newcastle and Cougar Mountain caches, two books by the Isssaquah Alps Trail Club have proven invaluable:

- The Coals of Newcastle: A Hundred Years of Hidden History

- Authoritative Guide to the Hiking Trails of Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park and Surrounds (although a bit outdated, still a great resource)

Edited by hydnsek
I just love books. Here are a few more:

2144874984_6bec8a299d.jpg2144081139_0fdfbb1dc1_o.jpg2144081171_148664cd96_o.jpg2144875018_e71b88a918_o.jpg

The novel that Lizzy referred to is Abomination by Colleen Coble. The other books are LOOKOUTS: Firewatchers of the Cascades and Olympics, 2nd Edition by Ira Spring and Byron Fish, Local Treasures: Geocaching Across America by Margot Anne Kelley and Frank Gohlke (a photo book), and Open Your Heart with Geocaching: Mastering Life through Love of Exploration by Jeannette Cezanne.

I've got to check out Miss Jenn's book.

Joey got me the Abomination book for by birthday, as well as the geocoin inspired by it! The book is ok so far, I'm almost done with it. Some of the geocaching references are a bit unrealistic (like burying caches, finding tickets to the ballet in NY or finding a rare Elvis Presely record), but it's still kind of cool to read a book that has your hobby in it!

Apparently the book was hard to find. Since she's considered a Christian author, you're more likely to find it at a Christian bookstore than Barnes and Nobles (unless you order online of course).

For my local Newcastle and Cougar Mountain caches, two books by the Isssaquah Alps Trail Club have proven invaluable:

- Authoritative Guide to the Hiking Trails of Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park and Surrounds (although a bit outdated, still a great resource)

I thought so! There is an updated version of the Cougar Mountain trails book, by the way. Just a correction, the trail that your Turntable cache is on is actually owned by the City of Bellevue, and isn't part of Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland park, though the Red Town trailhead is.

I thought so! There is an updated version of the Cougar Mountain trails book, by the way. Just a correction, the trail that your Turntable cache is on is actually owned by the City of Bellevue, and isn't part of Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland park, though the Red Town trailhead is.

Yes, I learned just this week from the parks folks that Cougar Mountain turned over the Coal Creek trail area to the City of Newcastle (not Bellevue) two years ago. The Cougar Mountain maps do show it as Coal Creek Park now, but it's subtle.

After checking the Issaquah Alps publications, I do appear to have the current version of the Cougar Mountain book (same as the one pictured there). But it's a bit outdated, as they've made several trail changes in recent years.

Edited by hydnsek

I get the impression that Newcastle is part of Bellevue, rather than independent, but since I don't live there, I cannot say for certain. I'm kind of hoping that it will be open again before March. I hope to work at Cougar Mountain come summer as a King County Parks Seasonal. Every time I've been there, I have been impressed.

I get the impression that Newcastle is part of Bellevue, rather than independent, but since I don't live there, I cannot say for certain. I'm kind of hoping that it will be open again before March. I hope to work at Cougar Mountain come summer as a King County Parks Seasonal. Every time I've been there, I have been impressed.

As a Newcastle resident, let me correct that assumption. :D

Newcastle is a separate city, albeit a relatively recent one, incorporated in 1994. We have nearly 10,000 residents and one of the best Chinese restaurants in the region (Yea's Wok, which the Barnabirdy(s) frequent every time they visit the Wet Side). :D

All trails in Cougar Mountain Park are open; I hiked there three times this week. Only the Coal Creek Trail is currently closed, which as we've determined, is now part of Coal Creek Park, owned by one of the adjoining communities. :) I hope Coal Creek Trail reopens soon, as well, since I have three caches currently disabled along it. FYI, I am training for the King County Parks Ambassador (volunteer) program, and Cougar Mountain (the largest KC park) will be my resident park.

Edited by hydnsek

As a Newcastle resident, let me correct that assumption. :D

Newcastle is a separate city, albeit a relatively recent one, incorporated in 1994. We have nearly 10,000 residents and one of the best Chinese restaurants in the region (Yea's Wok, which the Barnabirdy(s) frequent every time they visit the Wet Side). :D

All trails in Cougar Mountain Park are open; I hiked there three times this week. Only the Coal Creek Trail is currently closed, which as we've determined, is now part of Coal Creek Park, owned by one of the adjoining communities. :) I hope Coal Creek Trail reopens soon, as well, since I have three caches currently disabled along it. FYI, I am training for the King County Parks Ambassador (volunteer) program, and Cougar Mountain (the largest KC park) will be my resident park.

Your caches are exactly why I am hoping it reopens before March! I was a seasonal at the King County Fair last summer, and I liked it a lot, so I decided to apply again to be a seasonal, I just hope to receive an assignment with a park, since I started at the fair last year, and need more money than I earned last year since I only worked through July. When I submited my application for this year, Cougar Mountain was my first choice on the assignment part of the job announcement.

Another great book to read. Cover to cover suspense will keep you on the edge of your seat. Once you start reading, you won't want to put it down until you are finished. But when you do finish, you can pick up another in the series, such as Idaho, Oregon, and several others by the same author. Maybe Hollywood will make a movie based on the book, The Gazetteer? ;)

I'm not laughing, Lizzy. I enjoy a good Gazetteer. It seems like even though I think I've read it cover to cover every time I pick it up and thumb through it I see something I hadn't already seen, or at least don't remember seeing.

I love to read, but don't have time for real novels mostly because when I read a book I'm not a "savorer", I'm a "gotta get this read and find out what happens" kinda reader. I have a friend who reads a minimum of five books at one time, just a couple of pages here and there. It works for her, but not for me. I can't focus on more than one story at a time and when I do get involved in a novel/story I tend to over focus on it and that causes my laundry and dishes to pile up. So mostly I read cache pages now, but, here's our current bathroom reading -

51YT27JCNSL.jpg

It has the same feel as the Gazetteer, which is probably why we like it so much. If you're interested visit this link for a little sample.

Great topic!!

Hey, I have that book too :laughing: Great, simple tips and tricks. Everyonce in awhile I thumb through it.

My suggestions are Winterdance by Gary Paulsen (a Minnesota guy who starts to train his dogs and himself for the Iditarod and his story of running the Iditarod. Lots of funny, scary and some sad parts but kept me reading). The other is A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins (His story of hiking his way from NY to La with a dog, I thought it was really interesting. An older story but I think alot of it is still relevant today).

Edited by tsunrisebey

Tsun's post reminded me of another one I enjoyed:

2189787047_532c97f94f_o.jpg

It's the story of through walkers/hikers on the Appalachian Trail. Of course, the author was one of them.

Excellent read! In fact, I was just rereading part of it in my bubble bath tonight, as I soaked off today's little bushwhacking adventure to Cherry Lake Falls. Being originally from Tennessee and having visited a few of the locales in the book (Clingman's Dome, Gatlinburg....), I can readily visualize parts of his journey.

FC9780878423958.JPG

One of the prizes we won in the Montana Tourism Board's geocaching contest last year, Roadside History of Montana is a fairly accessible book aimed at visitors to the state. The stories typically provide enough history and context to put them into proper perspective without becoming too dry for the casual reader. The highlighted events are not always the ones I would have chosen as the most important or interesting ones for the particular locations, but do often provide background I was previously unaware of.

FC9781573420327.JPG

Anyone planning to do any hiking around Missoula needs a copy of this book. (Hint, hint, to those planning on attending the Missoula Cache Machine.) Day Hikes Around Missoula, Montana covers many of the most popular trails in the area and has been the first inspiration for several of the caches in the mountains and hills around this part of western Montana.

FC9780878424153.JPG

Ever since taking classes from him, I have thought that David Alt had the perfect name to be attached to some geological formation. Anyone interested in the history and effects of the great floods that scoured our region and left their mark all the way to the Pacific Ocean should read Glacial Lake Missoula: And Its Humongous Floods. Inspiring for not only locations for geocaches, but as well for earthcaches and Waymarking sites from Missoula to Astoria, Oregon.