Museum caches

Hobo2

We have some great local museums. When you go in they ask you to sign a log... I'm assuming for a record of how many visitors they receive. I got to thinking... I know thats scary, if there was a cache located inside, maybe they would get more visitors logged themselves... if its a funding requirement for some of the small Museums this would help.

Anyway, before I go down and ask out local Museum curator about this idea, maybe some of you can tell me if this has been tried before.

Edited by Hobo2

I recently DNFed Deutches Museum in Munich. That one requires you to find a certain yellow item on display and get the museum reference number to complete the cache which is hidden outside the museum. There is an alternative method to avoid the commercial aspect in the guidelines. Although I DNFed the cache, I did enjoy my visit to the museum which I likely would not have taken the time to visit otherwise.

In Fayetteville NC at the Airborne Museum, there was one under a bench between displays. It was inside the building, held in place by velcro.

I am glad I logged a find when I did, it was destined to be muggled in such a high traffic public place . . . and, it was.

Inside public places of great interest seems certainly a great place for a cache but it tends to also draw muggles, making the retreival very tenuous and risky. You gotta select the hide so that it can be captured and returned without being seen . . . little eyes (kids) SEE everything.

I know thats scary, if there was a cache located inside, maybe they would get more visitors logged themselves... if its a funding requirement for some of the small Museums this would help.

Which reads like promoting an agenda: "support the museum" = sign the visitor's log.

Caches that require you to enter buildings and interact with staff (even non-commercial buildings) are going to be scrutinized pretty closely by the reviewer. I'd suggest you start by contacting the reviewer local to you.

Be careful that the cache design uses a gps.

I know thats scary, if there was a cache located inside, maybe they would get more visitors logged themselves... if its a funding requirement for some of the small Museums this would help.

Some light reading:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#commercial

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#solicit

Also be sure GPS is used (if the cache is inside, how is GPS used?)

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#guide

"You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions."

If done right, it is possible. If you have an idea, run it by your reviewer.

I guess as Quiggle pointed out, this wouldn't work. Because this was on my mind for this idea... to bring more people to out-of-the-way museums. I could place something outside, but too much traffic/muggles at places like this. I was thinking a TB hotel right up in plain view (a display if you will), promoting our sport as well as the Museum, would be fun and interesting, but scratch that idea. :laughing:

Quote from guidlines: Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Edited by Hobo2

A museum cache in our area has two containers... one a log-only micro on the grounds (available 24-7) and a container full of swag (no log) which is at the front desk and is only available when the museum is open. Neither stage requires an admission fee (in fact, admission is free). I visited after closing, and thought it was an interesting twist.

Anyway, before I go down and ask out local Museum curator about this idea, maybe some of you can tell me if this has been tried before.

I just got my cache approved last month and it is part of an exhibit in plain view.

No fee is required to access it and the staff does not have be bothered in order for a cacher to access it.

I did meet with the Director of the museum to get them to display it. They loved the idea.

The cachers also like it of course because now there is a spot to safely leave travel bugs

without fear of theft in downtown San Francisco. It's a win-win situation as fas I can see without

breaking the guidelines.

A museum cache in our area has two containers... one a log-only micro on the grounds (available 24-7) and a container full of swag (no log) which is at the front desk and is only available when the museum is open. Neither stage requires an admission fee (in fact, admission is free). I visited after closing, and thought it was an interesting twist.

PLEASE send me some info in this one. If I don't post the cache as sponsoring the Museum, but approach them that the added visitors may be a benafit for them, then maybe it will work? :laughing:

I just got my cache approved last month and it is part of an exhibit in plain view.

No fee is required to access it and the staff does not have be bothered in order for a cacher to access it.

I did meet with the Director of the museum to get them to display it. They loved the idea.

The cachers also like it of course because now there is a spot to safely leave travel bugs

without fear of theft in downtown San Francisco. It's a win-win situation as fas I can see without

breaking the guidelines.

Please send me more info on this one too, thanks.

I love it when a plan comes together. :laughing:

BIG THANKS for the info :ph34r:

This idea was bugging me so I had to run down and talk with the Curator, he said it sounded like a great idea to him too. I told him we couldn't post the cache as a tribute, or a way to get more traffic for the Museum, or anything like that. I said I just thought it would be a cool place for a cache and he agreed. Now if I can get it passed through Groundspeek.

I like the idea of putting a 24/7 log cache outside, then maybe as a multi-cache, have a big box inside for lots of TB's. He suggested an antique box, I said great idea.

He wanted some time to check out the website first before he gave me the OK. I also need time to get in contact with one of our Mediators... we have a new one in Utah, maybe this could be his first executive decision. :blink: I want to get all my ducks in a row before I do that though... contact the Mediator that is.

Please keep the info coming, this will make it easer for him to see the other similar ideas.

Thanks again for all the great help! :blink:

Edited by Hobo2

I am actually in the process of planning a museum cache too. I emailed the proper people for permission for one in their parking lot and they emailed back asking if I could put it inside instead (so they can watch as people find it) so I am planning a multi-cache for this one with one outside and one inside with clues on where to find the larger cache (inside one). There is no fee for this museum and the Director of Operations runs a couple of the ones in town and we will probably be doing a Museum Series...

There are quite a number of caches inside buildings - museums, libraries, hotels, etc.

The GPS usage part Quiggle mentions gets you to the front door, instructions or clues gets you to the cache inside.

Leave out any verbiage that even hints of promoting the place and just describe what is there.

Can't recall, the name, but I really enjoyed one at a train museum, I think it was at Starkville, MS.

You found a number in the museum and signed a log at the information window.

We stayed for an hour talking to the curator, great stuff!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
The GPS usage part Quiggle mentions gets you to the front door, instructions or clues gets you to the cache inside.

Check with your reviewer before you assume the front door counts as sufficient GPS usage. If you have any questions, you should always ask your reviewer and work with them on the specifics of your cache.

Can't recall, the name, but I really enjoyed one at a train museum, I think it was at Starkville, MS.

That was probably Trains Still Go By in West Point, MS.

PLEASE send me some info in this one. If I don't post the cache as sponsoring the Museum, but approach them that the added visitors may be a benafit for them, then maybe it will work? :blink:

That one is the Laurel Veterans' Memorial Museum in Laurel, MS.

Keep in mind that both of these were posted before the current incarnation of the guidelines, so they may not be good examples of what may get approved currently.

I am actually in the process of planning a museum cache too. I emailed the proper people for permission for one in their parking lot and they emailed back asking if I could put it inside instead (so they can watch as people find it) so I am planning a multi-cache for this one with one outside and one inside with clues on where to find the larger cache (inside one). There is no fee for this museum and the Director of Operations runs a couple of the ones in town and we will probably be doing a Museum Series...

Let me know as soon as you get it published ok? email me

Check with your reviewer before you assume the front door counts as sufficient GPS usage. If you have any questions, you should always ask your reviewer and work with them on the specifics of your cache.

will do :unsure:

That was probably Trains Still Go By in West Point, MS.

PLEASE send me some info in this one. If I don't post the cache as sponsoring the Museum, but approach them that the added visitors may be a benafit for them, then maybe it will work? :ph34r:

That one is the Laurel Veterans' Memorial Museum in Laurel, MS.

Keep in mind that both of these were posted before the current incarnation of the guidelines, so they may not be good examples of what may get approved currently.

I have built a folder and I am bookmarking all the caches sent to this thread. So when the Curator contacts me and would like some more info, I can include these caches.

My hope is to make this cache one of the biggest caches in the state. All the TB's that pass through will be safe here. Plus, I like reading logs, so something like this should provide some interesting reading because of what is inside the Museum... people will be amassed. :unsure:

I will let you know. Should be within the next week or so, as soon as I can get life to quit interfering with caching :lol:

Yeah, I'm not sure how some of these examples use gps at all. :lol:

I will let you know. Should be within the next week or so, as soon as I can get life to quit interfering with caching :lol:

I have been so busy with this thread, I didn't catch the "ten commandments of Geocaching"... we are still laughing :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: VERY CLEVER! :D

Edited by Hobo2