Coin trading

Theotokos

I've never been good at trading anything as I'm a poor judge in value and always hate to offend or insult anyone. So more often than not, I don't trade coins or at least make that initial offer. I've made a few trades and am very happy with the coins I got in return but I was always nervous that I was making a silly offer. I would like to try doing more trading but am still wary about it.

So I was hoping to maybe get some advice to help make it less intimidating. Do people typically do one for one trades? If I see something in the trade thread that says look at my trader list - what is the best way to know what I can truly ask for? What if I have an expensive coin - at least by ebay standards - Is it seen as poor etiquette to ask for more than one coin? is value in the eye of the holder or how is value determined?

I know a lot of people don't me and I don't know them so the last thing I want to do if offend anyone by crazy offers. Any advice would be appreciated as I really would like to do more trading as it is very fun way to get some new coins.

Usually the value of the traded coins are determined by the people doing the trading. Usually people trade 1 for 1...unless it's for a really rare coin or something that the person just HAS to have. Don't be shy about initiating trades. I find that the majority of cachers that we have contacted were always polite and very helpful. Everyone has to start somewhere...and if you ask for a trade that the other person does not like usually they will respond and tell you it is not exactly what they are looking for. It never hurts to ask..the worse answer you can get back is no. Trading is how we have gotten to know a lot of other cachers too. We have made a lot of friends through trades. We love be contacted for trades too.

I'm always a bit hesitant, too. But here are my approaches . . .

1. Say something like, "I see you have BrandX geocoin on your available list. Is there anything on my available list that you would be interested in as a trade for it?" Them make sure you include a url to your available list.

2. You could offer them something in trade in return by checking out their wants list. Generally (but not always) REs for REs and LEs for LEs.

Some traders care about icons and trackability, some don't. And, sadly, I gotta say that there are those that will try to take you. For example, once I asked somebody what they wanted in trade for a particular silver (as in pure) coin and they came back asking for 11 coins on my available list! You can guess what I said. Later, I got the same coin elsewhere in a much more equitable trade.

But, for the most part, we don't bite. :rolleyes:

I just got a GeoCoins subscription and am looking forward to possibly doing some trades. But here's my general idea on trading (or buying) anything. I like others' ideas of saying I like your _____ do I have anything on my list you'd like to trade for? But as far as wondering if you traded right or made a silly offer, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a friend who always worries if she was ripped off. But here's my rule of thumb: if it was worth it to you, then that is what it was worth - no matter what anyone else says. If you really want something and the other person won't budge, offer another coin as well, if you wish. Who cares if you get what you want in the end? It's about having fun, not about (over-) analyzing the results! :rolleyes:

I've never been good at trading anything as I'm a poor judge in value and always hate to offend or insult anyone. So more often than not, I don't trade coins or at least make that initial offer. I've made a few trades and am very happy with the coins I got in return but I was always nervous that I was making a silly offer. I would like to try doing more trading but am still wary about it.

So I was hoping to maybe get some advice to help make it less intimidating. Do people typically do one for one trades? If I see something in the trade thread that says look at my trader list - what is the best way to know what I can truly ask for? What if I have an expensive coin - at least by ebay standards - Is it seen as poor etiquette to ask for more than one coin? is value in the eye of the holder or how is value determined?

I know a lot of people don't me and I don't know them so the last thing I want to do if offend anyone by crazy offers. Any advice would be appreciated as I really would like to do more trading as it is very fun way to get some new coins.

Just jump in and start asking for trades and trading!

Most people are very nice and will just be straight with u if they want something more than a one for one. Here is where your part comes in. Only you know and can decide if a coin is worth more than one coin. If there is one you really want and it's worth it to you, then do it. Otherwise, trade one for one and don't worry if you get turned down, it'll happen, it's not personal.

Most people are very nice and will just be straight with u if they want something more than a one for one. Here is where your part comes in. Only you know and can decide if a coin is worth more than one coin. If there is one you really want and it's worth it to you, then do it. Otherwise, trade one for one and don't worry if you get turned down, it'll happen, it's not personal.

Ya, what HB said.

What you're going through is nothing new. When I first started trading, I gave people what they wanted and took stuff I didn't want in return because I was concerned about certain issues. Once you get a few trades under your belt, you'll learn to say no (I have and it was hard at first) and you'll start getting the hang of it. Don't worry about saying no to someone or someone saying it to you. Ain't nothing but a chicken wing :rolleyes: If you don't know what a coin looks like, don't be afraid to ask for a picture or get pointed in the right direction. Just have fun with it and don't feel obligated. :o

Ya, what HB said.

What you're going through is nothing new. When I first started trading, I gave people what they wanted and took stuff I didn't want in return because I was concerned about certain issues. Once you get a few trades under your belt, you'll learn to say no (I have and it was hard at first) and you'll start getting the hang of it. Don't worry about saying no to someone or someone saying it to you. Ain't nothing but a chicken wing :lol: If you don't know what a coin looks like, don't be afraid to ask for a picture or get pointed in the right direction. Just have fun with it and don't feel obligated. :anicute:

Thanks. I'll give it a try as there are a few coins on some lists that look real nice that I would like to try and get. I'll do a bit of research and then make some offers and see how it goes. I think I'll try to stick to one for one offers too as it's less hassle.

TeamMonkey - I think it's good advice to not worry so much about getting a bad deal. If I like a coin, I need to just be happy I have it and forget about what I might or could have got. Ebay is probably the worst place to judge value anyway -_-

As everyone else has said...have fun with it!! I don't do a lot of trades on the forums as I just don't have many coins people want. When at an event, I'll lay my binders out and people will initiate the trades (usually), that makes it easier for me (I'm a bit timid at this myself).

I have found most people to be very nice (but there are a few out there who just won't answer no matter how nicely you try to "sweeten" the deal), it's all good!

Great "chatting" with you yesterday...will chat again soon! HAPPY CACHING!

I too just started doing trades. And yes it can be intimidating. I started off by looking at the seeking lists of posters on here that I know are on a lot and are well known. It gave me a comfort factor that I was dealing with fellow cachers that had made trades before and I felt they would be honest with me about whether I was asking for too much. And on a couple of trades we went back and forth until we were both happy.

In the end, if you do not feel secure with the trade or feel you are getting short changed, don't make the trade. There are other people out there with the same coin and you can always try a trade with them.

And last but not least, exactly what others have said, have fun with it! Trading coins is not a life and death situation. No one is going to get hurt and the Earth will not stop spinning. Relax and enjoy. I am getting to know a few cachers that I would have not had a chance to meet before and I am seeing some really cool coins!

RSFish1

Hi Theotokos! I just took a look at your trading list and it looks like you are doing a great job of getting a lot of coins in such a short time! :D Good for you.

I, like you, am always afraid to trade, too. But, I have always had confidence issues. :laughing:

Usually when I trade, it is because someone has contacted me first, or I have seen in the forums that someone wants a coin that I have gotten that is really popular, but sold out. When the second situation arises, I look at their seeking list (they have always had a seeking list) and see what they have that I want. So far, it's been great and everyone has been happy with the trade.

Generally speaking, almost all of the coins I have bought have been about the same price, give or take a couple of $$$. To me, I just trade the coins I like/want. (Not that I have made that many trades) I don't trade for more than one coin because everything I have, I feel is only worth one coin of equal value to me.

Good luck on your future trades!

First I started buying coins from traders at events. Observed trades occuring. Eventually collected coin by purchasing duplicates. Then took a few plunges seeking trades.

What I have learned:

-always CC yourself when requesting or replying to a trade. It's a lot easier then trying to look at the sent messages

-keep paper notes about trades, the mind forgets

-send clear messages about what the trade is for, especially when finalized.

Such as trading a mustang for personal coin.

-always remember to say thank you.

-don't make a trade if the "feeling" isn't right, because it isn't

-you can say NO.

I have done this occassionally, along with my reason, thought the trade was unreasonable.

-be prepared for a counter offer.

When sending the package, make sure it is securely packaged, there is a thread on this subject.

Include a print out or hand written note of the trade.

-The heardest part for me is comparing coin to coin inrelation to the dollar value. That is a learning game, no reference book available, besides ebay. But that can't always be correct either. One day a coin will be extremely reasonable, the next extremely expensive.

-The only stupid question is one that isn't asked. Go for it.

Good luck.

Accordiongal

Hi Theotokos! I just took a look at your trading list and it looks like you are doing a great job of getting a lot of coins in such a short time! :D Good for you.

I, like you, am always afraid to trade, too. But, I have always had confidence issues. :laughing:

Usually when I trade, it is because someone has contacted me first, or I have seen in the forums that someone wants a coin that I have gotten that is really popular, but sold out. When the second situation arises, I look at their seeking list (they have always had a seeking list) and see what they have that I want. So far, it's been great and everyone has been happy with the trade.

Generally speaking, almost all of the coins I have bought have been about the same price, give or take a couple of $$$. To me, I just trade the coins I like/want. (Not that I have made that many trades) I don't trade for more than one coin because everything I have, I feel is only worth one coin of equal value to me.

Good luck on your future trades!

I've been getting a few coins for sure. Ebay helped with getting some coins but I only go there once in a while now as most coins are expensive. A lot of my coins have also come from the wonderful folks on this site like yourself who have sent me gifts and I've also won a few cointests too. One of the best things I did was to get in on the Geojersey project. It gave me a number of coins that I could use to trade with and its worked out pretty well for me in helping acquire some different coins. Of course I'm always looking on the list for the new coins and it is very hard to not buy them all. I can't afford that but it is so tempting. Now I'm getting some new coins from the Christmas coin we designed too...so ya, it's surprising us and we can't believe we've only been geocaching since August.

I have been getting contacted about trades more often which I do like better. It has a lot to do with the coin list I put together on UTAG. I have made the first contact a few times and everyone has been very good to trade with. I do find it hard to ask or give more than one for one. I do think I will try to stick to the one for one if I can and not worry too much about value...as long as I'm happy with the coin I get then the deal was a good one I guess.

When sending the package, make sure it is securely packaged, there is a thread on this subject.

Include a print out or hand written note of the trade.

Good luck.

Accordiongal

That is good advice on including the trade details and I haven't been doing that. I know that being part of the secret missions, getting ebay coins, gifts, cointests, trades...I'm losing track of who is sending me what. So I'm sure others feel the same way so I am going to start doing this for sure. Thanks