PDAs and Vista

junmy3

I am in the process of trying to decide if I want to buy a PDA for geocaching. I am not sure that the PDAs that I am considering, Palm M515, is compatible with Windows Vista. I do not want to buy the PDA and then find out that I can not transfer from my PC to the PDA. Does anyone know if I will have a problem? Thanks

I use a Palm T|X and there was a minor hiccup, but Palm has a fix and it works great.

I am guessing Palm Desktop works with all Palms so I would have to say there will be no problems.

The only thing is I have never worked with a M515, so I would wait until an owner chimes in.

Binrat

I am in the process of trying to decide if I want to buy a PDA for geocaching. I am not sure that the PDAs that I am considering, Palm M515, is compatible with Windows Vista. I do not want to buy the PDA and then find out that I can not transfer from my PC to the PDA. Does anyone know if I will have a problem? Thanks

The Palm m500 series of PDAs do not work with Vista. I own a 505 and a 515 and your only way to transfer files is to the SD Card via a seperate card reader. The problem is the desktop installer included with the Palm software is not yet able to communicate with Windows Vista, although they {Palm} keep saying there is a fix on the way. They have provided a fix for the newer PDAs {Tungsten and others} in order to use Quick Install with Vista.

I have another computer that runs WindowsXP and that is the one I use for my CacheMate files.

The above link to thier website is your best reading though.

The Palm m500 series of PDAs do not work with Vista. I own a 505 and a 515 and your only way to transfer files is to the SD Card via a seperate card reader. The problem is the desktop installer included with the Palm software is not yet able to communicate with Windows Vista, although they {Palm} keep saying there is a fix on the way. They have provided a fix for the newer PDAs {Tungsten and others} in order to use Quick Install with Vista.

Hmmmm. I have two Palm m500's and a Z22........they all work just fine on my HP laptop (Vista).........I installed Palm Desk top and Cachemate. no problems!

Whew, i wish i had researched a little bit too. I have a ipaq 5555, great pda, but syncing it with my vista laptop was a pain in the a**. I am pretty good with computers, and this was testing my limits. I got the easy stuff out of the way (downloading the new 6.whatever drivers and sync center. That went ok, and i am able to add programs to the ppc, but i still can't figure out how to add the gpx files. As stupid as i feel and as easy as it seems it should be, i still can't do it. I'll figure it out eventually, but until then, i'll be printing the sheets off.

Good Luck

Whew, i wish i had researched a little bit too. I have a ipaq 5555, great pda, but syncing it with my vista laptop was a pain in the a**. I am pretty good with computers, and this was testing my limits. I got the easy stuff out of the way (downloading the new 6.whatever drivers and sync center. That went ok, and i am able to add programs to the ppc, but i still can't figure out how to add the gpx files. As stupid as i feel and as easy as it seems it should be, i still can't do it. I'll figure it out eventually, but until then, i'll be printing the sheets off.

Good Luck

Cachemate is also compatible with PPC so with that you should be able to get your PQ's and then hotsync to your PPC.

I have another computer that runs WindowsXP and that is the one I use for my CacheMate files.

The above link to thier website is your best reading though.

Thats the same thing I do. My laptop has Vista, our desktop has XP. When I get the PQ's on my laptop, I load the info onto my 60CSX, then email the PQ's to the desktop, then load them into my Palm m515.