Help with new GPSr

As a lot of you will know a certain member of our team (ahem NOT ME) dropped my yellow earlier this year and broke it now I only have half a screen.

Luckily Gryfindor UK (my youngest son) has a yellow too so I have used his up to now, but I have just been told if I am a good girl :D Santa Claus might bring me a new one for Christmas :cool:

What I want is just another basic GPS but one that is a bit better under the trees and a cloudy sky than my yellow was.

I am a total techno numpty :DI dont want any mapping with bells and whistles ect.

Just something simple but a bit better than my yellow, what should I ask good old St. Nic for? :rolleyes:

Mandy :)

As a lot of you will know a certain member of our team (ahem NOT ME) dropped my yellow earlier this year and broke it now I only have half a screen.

Luckily Gryfindor UK (my youngest son) has a yellow too so I have used his up to now, but I have just been told if I am a good girl :D Santa Claus might bring me a new one for Christmas :rolleyes:

What I want is just another basic GPS but one that is a bit better under the trees and a cloudy sky than my yellow was.

I am a total techno numpty :cool:I dont want any mapping with bells and whistles ect.

Just something simple but a bit better than my yellow, what should I ask good old St. Nic for? :)

Mandy :D

I use a Garmin Etrex Legend and it works well in most conditions although under tree cover it is not so good.

Edited by Red Squadron

<snipI have just been told if I am a good girl :D Santa Claus might bring me a new one for Christmas :D <snip>

I don't know why you're getting excited about the prospect of getting a new etrex if THAT'S the condition for it. :rolleyes:

If you were to get a GPSr with mapping, you don't have to use that function. The 60Csx enables you to just view the little arra without faffing about with maps. Obviously there's the price to consider. Not sure if the H is better/same as the 60 but knowing your love of trees, you'd better go for the best. :):D:cool:

I see the GPS60CSx and GPS76CSx look almost similar for mapping units.

The 60 has a sticky out aerial and internal memory and has that manly look about it. :D

The 76 floats. :rolleyes:

Anyone got any opinions on either? It's my 50th birthday coming up and I've started making puppy eyes and leaving a Garmin ad around the house.

<snipI have just been told if I am a good girl :D Santa Claus might bring me a new one for Christmas :D <snip>

I don't know why you're getting excited about the prospect of getting a new etrex if THAT'S the condition for it. :rolleyes:

I'll see you tomorrow :)

Thanks for all the info folks :D

Right so I think I might try the new "H" model :D it's a pity it is still yellow did fancy something a bit less bright :cool:

Next question

Where is the cheapest place to get the newer model from in the UK? Or would it be cheaper for me to have it sent in from the States like our other yellow was?

Mandy :D

...and surely anything now new has the better/newer chip in?

Nope, the old models have the same sensitivity they've always had, they're still using the same old parts internally, and they will do until they stop that range. However, the newer models - the H range - will have the new chips.

Have you considered a Gecko?

They're currently going quite cheap here.

I see the GPS60CSx and GPS76CSx look almost similar for mapping units.

The 60 has a sticky out aerial and internal memory and has that manly look about it. :D

The 76 floats. :D

Anyone got any opinions on either? It's my 50th birthday coming up and I've started making puppy eyes and leaving a Garmin ad around the house.

It's all down to personal preference

I have a 76Csx, mainly because it floats (been there, done that....). The 60 is waterproof, but if you drop it in deep water.....They are both a bit too expensive to risk!

Otherwise they are pretty much identical, at one stage the 76 was shipping with a larger memory card, so that is worth checking

Performance is awesome - I get a GPS lock inside my house and it is brilliant under trees. It doesn't chew through batteries either - I get at least 8-10 hours on rechargeables.

Screen is bright and clear enough to use in the car if you can live without voice commands

at one stage the 76 was shipping with a larger memory card, so that is worth checking

This is one of the reasons I went for the 76 but I read on Usenet last week that the smallest card Garmin ship with is now the 128 although they don't advertise it on the site. How correct that is I'm not sure and it was Usenet after all :D

at one stage the 76 was shipping with a larger memory card, so that is worth checking

This is one of the reasons I went for the 76 but I read on Usenet last week that the smallest card Garmin ship with is now the 128 although they don't advertise it on the site. How correct that is I'm not sure and it was Usenet after all :D

To use either to it's full potential, you're going to need Topo maps as well so unless Garmin are supplying them with a 2Gb card you're going to replace the one supplied anyway. On top of that, memory is so cheap these days it's hardly a selling point.

I use a 60CSx (with Topo) and love it to bits. It really is the donkey's kn*b :D

Use to have a 76 until someone broke into my vehicle and knicked it!!!!!!

Was using a 60c but convinced work that I needed a 60CSx, those "sensors" make all the difference.

Put the pair together and the 60CSx will get full lock while the 60c is still flapping about. Under trees and poor signal areas the 60CSx is FAR, FAR better I assume that is the new "chip set" working.

Still have the 60c, nothing wrong with it has a small mark on the screen, was going to put it on e-bay, anyone intrested? E-mail me if you are.

Cheers

St. Nick (Beds Clangers)

it's a pity it is still yellow did fancy something a bit less bright :)

If you buy the protective Garmin case (and it sounds like you should) for the Etrex, then it doesn't matter what colour the Etrex is, the neoprene case is a dark green colour and totally masks the Etrexs' colour inside.

As for buying a flashier newer GPS with UK Topo mapping... that would really necessitate going up hills to get the best benefit from the Topographical mapping and I didn't think you did hills Mandy? :blink:

J