Online legal 1:50k full screen map

scanker

:) Brilliant find Scanker, and well done to the Bracknell District Caving Club.

Does anyone know how to force it to open on a specific area?

Funnily enough....I just tried that. There's a lat/long in the javascript of the page, but you must have to register the url it runs from as it forces an error. Unfortunately.

Great link...cheers!

I found a way of speeding up the process of moving to a different area , albeit accidentally, right click and keep it pressed, move the mouse the way you want and it zooms about the map at a hundred miles an hour, or if ya like it in funny speeds....a hundred kilometres an hour :ph34r:

Edited by GAZ

Great stuff Stuart! What's the licensing position?

I'll have a think on features...

Well the API page states

"The spirit of the API is to foster innovation. To that end, we will contribute free transactions to the tune of 5% of our public site traffic. If that sounds a lot, that's because it is. If it doesn't sound a lot, bear in mind that we provide a global service delivering more maps, directions, address look-ups and searches than anyone else in Europe.

In the spirit of the community, individual users can use up to 1% of the community's total traffic. If you are using a disproportionate amount of the community's transactions, we may be in touch to discuss how we can work together to help you grow."

And basically that the multimap copyright information has to remain.

Cheers

Stuart

Indeed.

I've re-created the same, and included the ability to move to a specific location

http://www.geocache.org.uk/mapping/index.html

More features to add no doubt, any suggestions ?

Cheers

Stuart

The map on this page only displays to half way down my browser window, then there's the lat long input and then acres of white pixels.

Same result in Firefox and IE, screen res 1280*1024

I've had a full-screen version made up for several weeks to give 1M - 50k resolution maps as a tool to assist me with creating my greasemonkey script.

I haven't wanted to make it public due to licensing issues. (ie: no official permission at all to use the images)

Edit: removed link, assisted Gadget to improve the look of his. Also, don't want people to kill my server.

Edited by Edgemaster

This is a great tool and is easily as fast as Memory Map on my PC. A few questions:

Is there any way that the pointer could give the lat/long as you scoot across the map similar to the way it works on MM?

Is it possible to put the town name into the box and to be taken to the general area or for it to open in your home area? It always opens up in the Cheltenham area.

Some methods of getting the maps are done without full permission of the copyright holder - the OS in this case.

The OS has licensed MultiMap to use their maps in their public service, so its all fine there.

The OS will release their own public service soon, but from what I've seen of it the code is quite slow to respond to dragging etc.

Is there any way that the pointer could give the lat/long as you scoot across the map similar to the way it works on MM?

You should now get the current position in the top right, under the search entry box.

Another update...... A single click, now locks the co-ord to all cut & paste, click again to unlock. Locked co-ords are shown by a red background.

It probably won't work in IE, Stuart uses Linux, and I don't have IE7 to assist his debugging.

Just under the following code, define the message variable.

var locked =0 ;

var latlon;

var message;

function onLoad() {

Not having registered the API I can't go further than that but it gets past the first js error!

Simon

Edited by SimonC_Here

Feature Request :D

Can we input co-ordinates in Degrees/Decimal Minutes format? Looks like a FORM SUBMIT might do it, with a bit of PHP maths in the background. Might be better ways of doing it though.

Then have the submitted point appear as a centred pushpin.

Would be well useful for multis!

:laughing:

I've been fiddling with my own version of this map and I've already done this with a javascript function - it's a bit rough and ready, but is below if it will help.

Currently the maps don't seem to be working though...

function convertLocation(check) {
if (check=='pos') {
	var sPos = document.getElementById('latlong').value;
} else if (check=='loc') {
	var sPos = document.getElementById('location')[document.getElementById('location').selectedIndex].value;
	document.getElementById('latlong').value=sPos;
}
var i = sPos.indexOf("W",0);
var j = sPos.length;
var N = sPos.substring(0,i);
var W = sPos.substring(i,j);
N=N.replace(" ","");
W=W.replace(" ","");
var N1 = N.substring(N.indexOf("N")+1,N.indexOf("°"));
var N2 = N.substring(N.indexOf("°")+1,N.length);
var N3 = 1*N1 + N2/60;
N3=N3.toFixed(3);
var W1 = W.substring(W.indexOf("W")+1,W.indexOf("°"));
var W2 = W.substring(W.indexOf("°")+1,W.length);
var W3 = -1*(1*W1 + W2/60);
W3=W3.toFixed(3);
document.getElementById('lat').value=N3;
document.getElementById('lon').value=W3;
}

Feature Request :D

Can we input co-ordinates in Degrees/Decimal Minutes format? Looks like a FORM SUBMIT might do it, with a bit of PHP maths in the background. Might be better ways of doing it though.

Then have the submitted point appear as a centred pushpin.

Would be well useful for multis!

:laughing:

Just a thought, would it be helpful to allow my greasemonkey OS 50k script to be resized even larger than it currently can?

It currently grabs the waypoints from the additional waypoints table and plots them on the map for you.

Edited by Edgemaster

It'd be nice if on-click it did something I guess :D What's nice potentially about t'other map is it lets you enter prospective co-ordinates. Perhaps if clicking the OS map led you to another page where you could enter some DD°MM.mmm figures it would be well nifty for puzzle caches and multis, where the co-ords aren't provided.