MUGGLES

rick2560

Well, it finally happened !! Some NON GEOCACHING person has taken our micro !! I was a bit skeptacal about placing a cache where it had a GOOD chance of someone watching as a cacher found my micro and more than likely waiting for them to finish with it and then come and snatch it !!! I WILL not place another cache where its more likely to be seen by passers by !!! I never liked looking for OTHER people's caches in a busy area or where it is easy to be seen by others. Some people and I am one DON'T like looking for caches where people can watch........It makes me un-easy AND it sooner or later will be taken. I know your supposed to kinda look around to see if someone is watching you retrive before you do. Lets face it, its MORE likely to be seen by others if you place the thing right out in the open where they can watch you !! You all can do as you like but I won't do anymore out in the open.

Rick

Well, it finally happened !! Some NON GEOCACHING person has taken our micro !! I was a bit skeptacal about placing a cache where it had a GOOD chance of someone watching as a cacher found my micro and more than likely waiting for them to finish with it and then come and snatch it !!! I WILL not place another cache where its more likely to be seen by passers by !!! I never liked looking for OTHER people's caches in a busy area or where it is easy to be seen by others. Some people and I am one DON'T like looking for caches where people can watch........It makes me un-easy AND it sooner or later will be taken. I know your supposed to kinda look around to see if someone is watching you retrive before you do. Lets face it, its MORE likely to be seen by others if you place the thing right out in the open where they can watch you !! You all can do as you like but I won't do anymore out in the open.

Rick

Lesson learned.

Caches in high muggle areas get muggled more frequently then other areas. Seems logical.

I am sure your next hide will be creatively thought out to keep it going for a long time. How can that be a bad thing?

oh - and - I am sorry that happened.

There are caches that are muggled because it's a 'visited' location and people can't help but come across it. Or they just simply see it, or they see it being found.

As a finder and a hider I would prefer a cache that would only be muggled because they were tipped off by seeing it found.

It allows a measure of control by the seeker.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I've had my hide stolen and they left the cache container intact. Funny thing is they had to take the cache container OUT of the hide container. They even went through the trouble of setting the cache container upright like the hide where it sat all weekend in plain view of muggles until I found it on a Tuesday on routine business.

A different cache a different deal. The cache was reported stolen and contents stuck in a tree. We went to replace the container only to find it sitting happily where we left it. After looking over the area we found the logbook in a sandwich bag in a tree 15 feet from the cache we placed. The previous cache was archived and we thought we cleaned up the entire area. It had been in the tree for almost a year from the date of the last log entry.

"some people like finding caches with muggles watching". :sad:

I used to get them involved in the search.....

Yes, but did you like it? :P Never mind, that doesn't even make sense unless you carefully read every post on one of the lame micro threads. I've involved muggles too, by the way. After making the on-the-spot decision that they could be trusted. I wouldn't do it, for example, with four 16 yr. old skateboarders. :)

I have a series called the Communicator Series and everyone of them is hidden in high traffic areas. I started this series shortly after joining in April and I just had my first one muggled on the 11th. It was a magnetic and it cost me 2 bucks. I have a supply of these things and will be heading out to hide it again. I give them the three strikes your out rule. Plus I don't hide them exactly the same when I return. Sorry to hear about your muggle woes. It just part of the game.

The other day, 8:45pm, pulled into a parking lot, just got out of the truck, walking to the front towards the payphone where the cache clues took me to, a police car flyes over to me, flashers blazing away. Officer asked me for ID, ran my plates, I asked the officers - within 2 min, another car showed up, "is there a problem?" They said that there had been reports of cars stopping and people looking around the area. I'm a 45 year old white male driving a 2007 suv? Anyway, being a new cacher (217) and not sure what to do in this case, I explained in detail to the 2 officers, showed them the cache, signed in, and as I was leaving, they asked me to explain to them how they could get started. Still didnt like it! :)

Edited by rcexplorer

We stopped by a cache in a very nice local park yesterday evening. We were the only ones in the park except a young boy and girl on the walking path. The boy was on his bike and standing next to a nice hiding spot for a cache. I check my GPS and sure enough, it's pointing right at the kid. At this time my fiancee sees another hiding spot and goes to check it out. As she has her back turned, I see the kid on the bike reaching into the hiding spot, pulling out the cache container, and discarding the contents! I called over to my fiancee and clued her in. As the kid was showing off the nicely camo'd container to his sister we went over and picked up the log and swag off of the ground. The kid quickly coughs up "Oh, sorry, is this THING yours?" and hands over the cache container! We've only been caching for a little over a month so we still get a kick out of making fun of the word muggle. "Oh, no, here comes a muggle, walk away!", lol. I thought the cache was hidden in a good spot but I guess when you're a young kid, sticking your hands in hiding places sounds just as fun as it does to a geocacher! I know some would say that I should have kept the container and notified the owner but we explained geocaching to the muggles (which they thought was pretty cool) and we hid the cache better than it was when the muggle found it. Timing is everything! Lol

The other day, 8:45pm, pulled into a parking lot, just got out of the truck, walking to the front towards the payphone where the cache clues took me to, a police car flyes over to me, flashers blazing away. Officer asked me for ID, ran my plates, I asked the officers - within 2 min, another car showed up, "is there a problem?" They said that there had been reports of cars stopping and people looking around the area. I'm a 45 year old white male driving a 2007 suv? Anyway, being a new cacher (217) and not sure what to do in this case, I explained in detail to the 2 officers, showed them the cache, signed in, and as I was leaving, they asked me to explain to them how they could get started. Still didnt like it! :D

The experiance must have been uncomfortable but your story is pretty funny. "So how do I get started?"

I am pretty new myself and when searching for my first urban find several cars in the parking lot slowed down to see why I was standing out in the rain.

I quickly held my GPSr up to my ear like a blackberry and began a very animated discussion with myself shaking my fist at the sky until they, embarrased, left. - All the while pacing and still searching for the cache :D

The other day, 8:45pm, pulled into a parking lot, just got out of the truck, walking to the front towards the payphone where the cache clues took me to, a police car flyes over to me, flashers blazing away. Officer asked me for ID, ran my plates, I asked the officers - within 2 min, another car showed up, "is there a problem?" They said that there had been reports of cars stopping and people looking around the area. I'm a 45 year old white male driving a 2007 suv? Anyway, being a new cacher (217) and not sure what to do in this case, I explained in detail to the 2 officers, showed them the cache, signed in, and as I was leaving, they asked me to explain to them how they could get started. Still didnt like it! :D

What is the GC for the cache you mention above?

What is the GC for the cache you mention above?

GC13FMV

My best time of the day to avoid MUGGLES - Sunday morning - 6:30a - 11a

Dont think the Police would have bothered me then!

I don't like caching where people can watch either.

Hmmmm... *stroking chin* *idea bulb lights up* (what DID appear over peoples' heads when they had an idea before Edison anyway?)

Hide your next micro behind the commode tank in the local pickle park restroom... nobody will be watching there...

Senator enters...

*taps feet* "now where could it be anyway..."

"Hey cutie, i got what yer lookin for."

"Really, let me see it."

"POLICE! GET ON THE GROUND!"

"Honest officer i was looking for a cache!"

:D:D:D