Specialty packaging for geocoins?

tsunrisebey

Ok, here's my question;

Let's just say that someone mints a geocoin with special meaning/symbolism/purpose (can't think of anyone who might do that, lol). Anyhow, how do you guys feel about geocoins coming in special pouches and special paperwork that goes with the coin to explain the purpose and symbolism of the coin? Something like a small leather pouch or printed velvet pouch, laminated card or paper accompanying the package? For those of you who received the petroglyph series, something like that but not quite as labor intensive and fancy.

I asked a few people already and most thought it was a nice touch, a few said don't waste the $$$, be honest, I'm looking for feedback....

Thanks, tsun :D

Edited by tsunrisebey

I thought it was cool to get my decypher coins in a velvet pouch. I used the pouches for swag in caches since, so they came in usefull as a nice bag for some delicate swag.

The card would make it all the more meaningfull and if it was a small card it could be placed with the coin in some display binders.

Otherwise if it was a special coin I may wanna keep it with my .999 Silver coin that came in its own custom display flip box and my Mega coin and Initial point...Some coins just dont go into binders and stay in a little special box...This may be one of those that goes into the "Special box"...Not to be confused with the short bus type of "special" :D

So yeah...not many coins come in all dressed up and I think it adds just a touch of Oooooooh and Aaaaaah to it!

I thought it was cool to get my decypher coins in a velvet pouch. I used the pouches for swag in caches since, so they came in usefull as a nice bag for some delicate swag.

The card would make it all the more meaningfull and if it was a small card it could be placed with the coin in some display binders.

Otherwise if it was a special coin I may wanna keep it with my .999 Silver coin that came in its own custom display flip box and my Mega coin and Initial point...Some coins just dont go into binders and stay in a little special box...This may be one of those that goes into the "Special box"...Not to be confused with the short bus type of "special" :D

So yeah...not many coins come in all dressed up and I think it adds just a touch of Oooooooh and Aaaaaah to it!

I agree it's a really nice touch. It always makes it seem that much more special to me especially when you think about the extra time and money someone spent doing that.

Tsun,

I'm relatively new here, but from what I can tell, your coins rank up there as some of the most desirable, they are colorful, well thought out, imaginative, and best of all, many are done freeform.

Those together make your coins already memorable.

I think that a card of some sort with a description would be the icing on the cake, but that the cake is already one of the most delectable there is out there :D

One day I hope to stumble upon one of your coins! From what I've seen, they are gorgeous!

Why not try some sort of special edition that comes with a pouch and note card explaining them and selling them also without that... see what the sales numbers say and take it from there!

:D

I appreciate the work that folks put into the extras. In some of my pathtag trades I've recieved, a note card or signature card that goes with the pathtag was included. I always keep those. Ms. Tankhounds even sent a picture of her pups, and I will always keep that! I bought a Feng Shui coin, and that came in a nice little oriental type pouch with a snap on it.

I know Jim chimed in.. but for me, it doesnt make a difference. All the coins immediately would come out and go into the box with the others anyway.

The ones that DONT have standard coin flips are kind of a thorn in my side, as they need a separate compartment.

But - thats just me! LOL

Just make sure you provide the original coin flip too - for us anal folks who stash them in cases!! :D

Edited by CinemaBoxers

It adds a wonderful personal touch, however... Most I think are displaying their coins some how and therefore it won't be kept in it's bag and/or with the card. It's very nice when you receive it like that, almost like getting a present, but then the extras end up at best in the "misc" drawer or more likely in the can.

I guess it just depends on how much money you have and if it's worth it to spend it on the extras.

I think it all depends on how people get the coins and why.

We purchased, from the internet, both the Lizard and Toad decoder coins and they both came in nice velvet drawstring bags, but we bought them to help with certain puzzles and they are now currently displayed in a binder with the rest of our little collection, and the bags are in an extra lock n' lock with other swag items we have picked up along our adventures.

On the other hand, we won an Indy Diver coin and pins at a picnic this Spring and along with it was laminated photo card that he had signed, and that card is in the binder right next to the coin.

Still another coin, The Shadow, we found in an ISQ cache before the MWGB this year. Inside the little baggie with the coin was a printed slip of paper congratulating us and explaining what the coins were all about. That slip is in the binder as well.

I guess I feel more inclined to keep all of it together when it comes from an individual more than from a company.

Anything you do tsun is great...without or without the extras.... :D

I'll second that! :D

Dang, I had a hard time getting my head through the forum door, lmao. Thanks, again for thoughts. I think at this point, I'll just do what I set out to do and that's take the time to make my next project a little, extra special. :laughing: ~~~tsun

I am in agreement with those who would like the little extras. It is always a thrill to me to get something special that you weren't expecting. It's almost like being a kid and getting those toys in the Cracker Jacks boxes or cereal boxes.

It is also nice to know what "the story" is behind the coin. This, too, intrigues me. I know there have been many times that I wasn't going to buy a coin (or some other object) then I found out what "the story" was. This brought even more meaning to the object and I felt compelled to buy it~more for the meaning, than the object. I like to know the meaning directly from the designer/artist/writer (even if it has no meaning :blink: ) rather than guess what it was all about.

Just MHO! :laughing:

This made me think of some of the first geocoins, "The Joy of Geocaching" and "The Green Man". Both of those came with a trifold paper with lots of info (of course they both come from the same company).

I just took some quick photos of them and put them on flickr so you could see them if you haven't already.

Look down towards the bottom of the set. Linky

This made me think of some of the first geocoins, "The Joy of Geocaching" and "The Green Man". Both of those came with a trifold paper with lots of info (of course they both come from the same company).

I just took some quick photos of them and put them on flickr so you could see them if you haven't already.

Look down towards the bottom of the set. Linky

Thank you for sharing those pictures. I have never seen those coins before. The matching numbered certificates are nice additions to the coins.

Thanks! Hard to know what people have seen. I have 2 The Green Man and 1 Joy of Geocaching. In the beginning, it seemed like most caches had those and Moun10Bike coins (that was the only coins I saw in the beginning). I still kick myself that I didn't get a version 1 Moun10Bike coin, just cause I could have.

Am I not supposed to talk about some of these, since they're not trackable? I only showed it because it's applicable to the OP question. If it's wrong, whichever Mod can edit me. Thanks.

Edited by Ambrosia

i have done this for a couple of coins ~ the new jersey 2005 came in plastic cases with a protective cardboard box (to which the tracking numbers and activation codes were stuck). The other time we included a sheet explaining all the symbolism for the Skully and Mulder et al Memorial coins we made for Helmut. :(

I think it adds a nice touch and shows you have given extra thought to your coin. Made it, shall we say... personal. :laughing:

Tsun,

I have over 2500 coins and I don't think I have one of yours!!! How didn't I do that??? Anyhow, I'm one of those "anal" people who keep their coins in flips stored in boxes...I keep every little paper that comes with the coin explaining any symbolism, or why a particuliar design element is on a coin...I have my paper for the Around the World in 80 Caches Race...I have my "Thank You" card from NNJC...I think you get the picture...lol...on the other hand, all the cute little bags are in my swag box...I sometimes use them for secret missions...the crux is...I love explanations...hate excess baggage...unless it's from a trader, and has specific meaning...duh...getting a bit verbose...I'll quit now...

Tsun,

I have over 2500 coins and I don't think I have one of yours!!! How didn't I do that??? Anyhow, I'm one of those "anal" people who keep their coins in flips stored in boxes...I keep every little paper that comes with the coin explaining any symbolism, or why a particuliar design element is on a coin...I have my paper for the Around the World in 80 Caches Race...I have my "Thank You" card from NNJC...I think you get the picture...lol...on the other hand, all the cute little bags are in my swag box...I sometimes use them for secret missions...the crux is...I love explanations...hate excess baggage...unless it's from a trader, and has specific meaning...duh...getting a bit verbose...I'll quit now...

I'd be happy to send something your way, if I have it <_< Drop me an email and let me know what you're looking for <_< Got plenty of the Horse geotags and Raiders of the Lost Cache left, just slowly leaving them in caches...

~tsun :D

P.S. Thanks for the rest of the comments all.

Edited by tsunrisebey

Okay, I'll throw my opinion in here:

For a collectible coin, or a special edition, I'd prefer special packaging. It adds to the whole special-ness of it. Heck, I'd like special packaging for any coin I get - if I send it out, I'd use a standard plastic pouch for it.

And, I'm also on the list of deprived persons without benefit of a Tsun coin, though I'm significantly below the level OleOmi is at. Someday...