Cemetery Caches

Not that I have ever seen.

Might be a bookmark list somehere. The site has been actively discouraging caches placed in cemetaries for the past 2 years or so without explicit permission (search on South Carolina for details of why)

Edited by StarBrand

In some states, there is an informal practice of including "SQ" or "Spirit Quest" in the titles of cemetery caches.

I think Ohio and Indiana do this.

Kentucky as well, although we don't have nearly as many as Indiana. In caching around the GeoBash, it seemed that over half of the caches were located in cemeteries.

In some states, there is an informal practice of including "SQ" or "Spirit Quest" in the titles of cemetery caches.

Kentucky as well, although we don't have nearly as many as Indiana. In caching around the GeoBash, it seemed that over half of the caches were located in cemeteries.

And most were pretty simple hides! They also use the SQ here in MI, but not all of us do as there are some requirements that I just don't like.

A keyword search of "Spirit Quest" comes back with 671 results, most in the Mid-west (and the bulk of them in Indiana). Also a few results in Washington State and British Columbia. I've seen "SQ" used in Southwestern Ontario, but a keyword search of "SQ" isn't going to come up with any useful results.

Legacypac created and manages the "BC Spirit Quest". We give each a unique consecutive number. We will allow others to hide using the BC Spirit Quest name only AFTER: a review to ensure the cache meets official and quasiofficial caching guidelines, a personal site visit to check that the cache is in fact outside the cemetery (something that the reviewer can't do), plus the cacher must be known to us personally and have a reputation as a responsible person. We hope that this self imposed process will protect our ability to use cemeteries for caches long term in BC and establish a good reputation are for the sport.

We also created a bookmark list of "BC Spirit Quest like caches" that we update as we find suitable caches in BC.

Of course, anyone can hide a cache anywhere they can get the reviewer to approve, so there are many other caches that are near (or possibly in) cemeteries that are not identified as such.

legacypac - caching round the world!