Someone Discovered one of my coins-- how

IBcrashen

OK, I just got an e-mail saying so and so discovered one of my activated coins that I have virtually dropped into an archived cache of mine, the coin is in my personal collection. I have never given out the number. Did they just guess this number? Is this a fluke? Should I be concerned about this?

This person has only been caching about a month. I know I can and will delete this discovery but......

have you shared your personal collection with anyone else to look at? sometimes they get the # that way..... OR perhaps they jsut accidentally typed the wrong # from another one and would up typing your #

Its never left my house. Its only been seen by non caching family members and my girlfriend.

I remember typing in the wrong number one time, not really paying attention to the coin name and logging that I discovered it. I agree that the person might have mis-typed the number and accidently logged the wrong coin.

Give them an email and see what they say. It could be an honest mistake.

I remember typing in the wrong number one time, not really paying attention to the coin name and logging that I discovered it. I agree that the person might have mis-typed the number and accidently logged the wrong coin.

I e-mailed them and they said "A friend gave it to me after the Midsouth Celebrate Summer geocaching event".

Did they re-verify the number?

I e-mailed them and they said "A friend gave it to me after the Midsouth Celebrate Summer geocaching event".

Virtual logging is not ok, mistake or not. Are we talking about the code or the coin that was "given" to them?

That is there complete response to my e-mail. In my e-mail I asked them how they got the code for the coin, if they accidentally logged it thinking it was another coin so I would have to say they got the code.

The coin has been in my possession since I purchased it from the maker.

No one else has ever logged this coin except me.

As FSM said, delete them. You did right by giving them a chance for an honest mistake. Unforchantly, it sounds like it wasn't one.

I was going to look through your trackables and see if anyone posted a photo with the tracking number showing, but you have so many, perhaps you would like to do that? And then delete the photo, and you also have to power to delete the log that you feel is bogus, if you find it needs deleting, but delete it with an explanation in a PM/email to the poster, so they know why, and if they typed the number wrong, they can figure it out.

I went to the Midsouth Celebrate Summer geocaching event. Good event with several local large coin collections there to be discovered if you wished. one of the coins I started to log came up a coin I did not remember and it was not located were it should be so I started trying different looking code and found the coin I was looking for just one character different (don’t remember which coin or digit.) This is probably what happen. If I had been logging a bunch of them that night I probably would have made the same mistake.

just email him/her to tell them of their mistake and delete the log. no harm done.

People do "guess" to log different icons and coins. When I activated one of my first coins, I had someone discover it within 12 hours. I am in Virginia and the person "discovering" the coin was in Denmark...they actually wrote their log stating that they were trying random combinations and got lucky on the code for my coin.

I was reading this forum and a question came up in my mind that I'd appreciate it if someone could answer it. My question is...

If i have a coin at a event and it is a short event and not everyone who wants to gets a chance to get the tracking number can I email it out to them after the event after it is confirmed that they were there? Is this a common practice or is it frowned upon?

I was reading this forum and a question came up in my mind that I'd appreciate it if someone could answer it. My question is...

If i have a coin at a event and it is a short event and not everyone who wants to gets a chance to get the tracking number can I email it out to them after the event after it is confirmed that they were there? Is this a common practice or is it frowned upon?

I'd say this was a situation of "they snooze, they lose" and they'll have to catch you at another event. Handing out your tracking numbers for virtual logging can get your trackable item locked. If they didn't make it to see you, they didn't see the coin either. Just being at an event doesn't entitle them to log every coin or travel bug that was there.