Diabetes TBs

I picked up a Diabetes TB at the weekend which I thought I could help achieve it's mission - to get to Helensburgh in the west of Scotland. Turns out that it has already been there. It got me thinking about other Diabetes TBs that have reached their intended destinations. Has anything been suggested/decided as to what we do with them after that? If not then I wondered if it would be frowned upon if, e.g., I checked to see which town Helensburgh is twinned with and putting a laminated note in with the TB to say that it has achieved it's original mission and now it wants to go to Timbuktu (or wherever). Or should we just leave them to wander aimlessly?

From the Diabetes TB page:

The goal for each Travel Bug is to reach its city and circulate throughout the city’s geocaches, spreading diabetes awareness as it goes.

So, I guess it could have "Goal achieved - stay in Helensburgh" attached to it? It might get muggled eventually B)

It just seems a bit daft for it to stay in Helensburgh for eternity!

Another idea I've had once the TB reaches it's destination would be to get someone you know with diabetes to chose a new place they would like it to visit and make that the new mission - that way it's still rasising awareness? My family would be fighting to choose - as lots of them are diabetics. I think I will try emailing "Unite for Diabetes" via gc.com - see if I get a reply?

Another idea I've had once the TB reaches it's destination would be to get someone you know with diabetes to chose a new place they would like it to visit and make that the new mission - that way it's still rasising awareness? My family would be fighting to choose - as lots of them are diabetics. I think I will try emailing "Unite for Diabetes" via gc.com - see if I get a reply?

I agree completely and was wondering about this months ago when the Swindon TB made it home. The suggestion made in the log for that TB is that it visits some of the other "Swindons" in the UK which is a good idea too. The one we were sent had to go to China and we put it in a little green pocket with a laminated card with it's mission on it to help it travel.

I think emailing them directly is an excellent idea, since this "adding labels" thing should really be clarified. I wouldn't hold your breath while waiting for a response if I were you though!

B.

Changing the mission would be impossible unless people read all the logs on the TB page. Adding a tag could work but again its not yours to change...

Why not visit a random countries forum and ask for a volunteer to recieve it by post. Send it to them (how much can it cost..?) then see if it can make it back for a 2nd time. That way the whole Unite idea doesn't just die out, but is kept in motion, spreading the word - that being the whole idea.

But surely there will be hundreds of caches there over the next few years for it to visit? :blink:

I found one the other day; it had to visit some small town in Chad. The text about "visiting the geocaches in <wherever>" sounded almost insulting. You can just imagine teh average bunch of cachers turning up with GPSr in hand looking for the cache and then asking for directions to the pub. :P And even in Western countries, the towns seem to have been selected by random zip code lookup. Most of the ones in France have populations of about 1000.

Hi, I'm your friendly travel bug forum moderator, and I came across this thread. Let the TB keep wandering. The purpose of them is to help spread Diabetes awareness. It can leave and come back to its goal city. No need to mail it. They are meant to travel cache to cache, and they are owned by the Diabetes Foundation, so you don't have the ability to edit the TB page to change the goal. Just let them travel freely.

I guess it would be possible to somehow generate for each bug a list of all caches within x miles of it's destination (or the nearest x caches to the destination), the game would then become to make sure the bug gets to visit every one - which could keep them moving almost in perpetuity as caches are added & archived.