paperless caching

gargoyle725

HI I've acquired a palm m500 from ebay, found out I needed a USB cable instead of the serial one that came with it, and finally was able to install cachemate on the m500. Now I've done my first pocket query and can't for the life of me figure out how to get it into the cachemate. I keep trying to send it over and it wants to put it on the non-existent SD card??? Do I have to have a SD card in the PDA to get it to work?? I'm getting concerned with all of the "extra" expenses I'm racking up when I could have just spent a few $$ more for a newer PDA. :laughing:

anyone know how I can get the PQ into the PDA whether it uses cachemate or not?

thanks if anyone knows what to do!

HI I've acquired a palm m500 from ebay, found out I needed a USB cable instead of the serial one that came with it, and finally was able to install cachemate on the m500. Now I've done my first pocket query and can't for the life of me figure out how to get it into the cachemate. I keep trying to send it over and it wants to put it on the non-existent SD card??? Do I have to have a SD card in the PDA to get it to work?? I'm getting concerned with all of the "extra" expenses I'm racking up when I could have just spent a few $$ more for a newer PDA. :laughing:

anyone know how I can get the PQ into the PDA whether it uses cachemate or not?

thanks if anyone knows what to do!

Cachemate has a program that comes with it called CMConvert. It will turn the .gpx files into .pdb files, which is what the Palm needs.

I haven't used that program because I started using GSAK almost from the beginning . . . even though, for me, there was a steep learning curve. :anibad: Now, I cannot imagine trying to use Pocket Query data and filter down to the number of caches my GPSr can hold without GSAK.

As I have stated before, I have been using my Palm M500 for more than five years. It is a great PDA. You don't need to spend more money for a newer/faster/cooler PDA . . . unless you just have to . . . :anibad:

One nice thing with the older palms is that you can change the batteries out in the field if you do run out of juice. And if you do loose it or damage it you wont feel to bad about it.

We have an m130 w/internal battery.

So far it will last a day of caching. But if it needed replaced it would probably be more than the unit is worth. Good point to mention.

So far it works great for caching with Cachemate installed. An extra SD card gives it plenty of memory to hold anything i could ever imagine using.

Miragee,

I have a palm IIIxe sitting beside the computer waiting to go. I don't have a premium membership (yet) as I've just started the hobby/addiction.

Would you have a link to the tutorial you found most helpful?

Thanks,

SigsPig

I started with the tutorial here. http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/paperless.html

I did use Plucker and Spinner and they worked fine, but I ended up going with Cachemate because it was so much quicker to send from GSAK to Cachemate. If you aren't going to pony up the $$ for cachemate and GSAk then Plucker and Spinner are fine.

Miragee,

I have a palm IIIxe sitting beside the computer waiting to go. I don't have a premium membership (yet) as I've just started the hobby/addiction.

Would you have a link to the tutorial you found most helpful?

Thanks,

SigsPig

Here is a rudimentary GSAK tutorial. It was written before the new version of GSAK, so the screen shots might look a bit different, but it should still help. :rolleyes: