Smartphones and PDAs

I cache paperless. I use GSAK, spinner to create html files, and plucker to read them on my Palm IIIc. This is working great for me, but I want to eliminate the PDA from the equation and move the cache info to a smartphone.

I am looking at three units: The Motorola Q, Treo 700p, and the Treo 700wx. I have Verizon Wireless service, so that would factor into the equation.

I'm wondering what others use and how it's working out for them. What are the pluses and minuses for each of the three phone.

Thanks!

Yo_Boy

Northville, MI

I got a Treo 650 and use plucker instead of cachemate. Personal preference on plucker. I also graduated from a Palm IIIC. The Treo is much brighter and easier to read in the sunlight.

The Treo hot syncs just like the Paln except USB instead of Serial.

Get the Palm version of the Treo.

I had 6 palm 700p in one year thru verizon. One breakage was my fault but the rest were just because the device would freeze up or screen went. On the freeze up even a hard reset would not correct it, so they replaced them free of charge. The are discont. the P I was told by verizon. They recently gave me a wx for free and I am in the process of setting it up. The didn't have anymore replacement P's. The p was great for caching.

I am not sure if I am going to like the wx. I am having issues w outlook so I didn't even try GPXSonar yet. Palm os seems simplier to use but I would wait for the new device.

Treo 650 here as well. Although I am seriously looking at the 755p as my 650 is slowly falling apart - missing screws, etc. Cachemate works well on it. Tried the plucker/Sunrise route too which gives nices color HTML pages, but was more manual work to load it with updates than Cachemate is.

I have tried to log caches on it using the WAP address for gc.com but that usually resets my phone for some reason.

I just picked up a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet. It's not your traditional type pda but mainly a device used to access the internet via wifi or bluetooth enabled phone. It does have a Linux based os and uses the opera browser, so this is something i'm having to get used to. Because i don't know what i'm doing, i've had some frustrations getting it set up the way i want. I don't know of any caching programs that work with it but i have figured out how to download and read pocket queries on it. Of course i can surf the web, get my AOL mail, and IM or chat whenever i'm at a wifi access point too.

For me it was a better choice than a pda because of the larger horizontal display and it's cheap price. A brand new one delivered to my door only cost me $130 ! :laughing:

I just picked up a Nokia 770 Internet Tablet. It's not your traditional type pda but mainly a device used to access the internet via wifi or bluetooth enabled phone. It does have a Linux based os and uses the opera browser, so this is something i'm having to get used to. Because i don't know what i'm doing, i've had some frustrations getting it set up the way i want. I don't know of any caching programs that work with it but i have figured out how to download and read pocket queries on it. Of course i can surf the web, get my AOL mail, and IM or chat whenever i'm at a wifi access point too.

For me it was a better choice than a pda because of the larger horizontal display and it's cheap price. A brand new one delivered to my door only cost me $130 ! :laughing:

I was looking at those yesterday - very cool. But I don't think they have a hard drive or any kind of storage. Unless a USB memory stick would work. I got the impression it is simply an 'online' device - meaning it has to be online to do anything.

I was looking at those yesterday - very cool. But I don't think they have a hard drive or any kind of storage. Unless a USB memory stick would work. I got the impression it is simply an 'online' device - meaning it has to be online to do anything.

It's built in memory is only 64 megs and it comes with another 64 meg miniature flash card (i think that is what they call it). I believe you can buy larger cards but that's something i dont want or need at this time. You can use the 770 by itself as there are quite a few programs available for it at Maemo.org. For instance, there is an ebook reader which i have downloaded and it works well. I also saw a mapping program but i havn't tried downloading and using it yet.

By the way, i have both, a Palm device and a laptop computer which i've been using for the last few years, I'm trying this device as an attempt to combine both of them into one small pocket sized unit and i think it's gonna work out pretty good!

Edited by Mudfrog

Nice. I really like the idea of this little device. Do you know if it will be 'updatable' in the future? Ie a newer OS next year, or more apps? I suppose that will depend on if it takes off or not....

To be honest, i think this is a downfall for the 770. Nokia already has the newer N800 out which uses operating system 2007. It has more features, one of them a digital cam, but of course the price was unattractive for me being that it is new. It looks like software development is aleady slowing down for the 2006 os. For me this is not really an issue since i'm not one that has to have the latest and greatest updates for a product. I have found the programs that i want to use and probably won't try to do too much more.

When I first went paperless, I was using my 650 and Cachemate.

It works great, very simple. I tried some others, but for me it just did not pan out as well as C-M.

After a close call, I became concerned about having my expensive phone out so much, so I started looking for a cheap PDA to carry. After some trials, I ended up with a Zire 31 (bought here on the boards for around $20.00 or so) and I am very happy with it. It has a removable card where I store the info, so if I forget to carge the battery, I don't lose data. Yep, happend more than once during the trials. ;)

The Treo stays on my side and if I'm in a situation that concerns me, I have a pelican case and a waterproof bag with me I can put it in.

Your milage may vary

PP