terra cache

buteo

Terracaching trys to provide a more unique caching expirence. Terra caches are only posted on Terracaching.com. The rules are also a bit different, you can place a cache any where in the world, not just in your caching area. But there will usually be only one cache in an area. There won't be 5 in one park like in geocaching. Also you have to apply for membership. And other members of the site have to "sponsor" you.

Read about some caches being called Terra caches?

What are these?

Terracaching is similar to geocaching but it is a different website...

Actually" terracaching" is geocaching. Some people refer to both of the geocaches listed on terracaching.com as terra caches to differentiate between geocaches listed here.

I don't like terracaching because they are usually over 50 miles apart.

They pride themselves on being anti-urban, anti-micro anti grab and dash. Their hides tend to focus on the hiking aspect. At least the majority around my area. They allow pocket knives and alcohol. I could hang with them, except the aforementioned condesending tone of the founding fathers keeps me at bay.

I just like Geocaching in general,so I signed up.You can still do locationless caches there,which is cool.I actually did one while here in Iraq.You had to get a picture of a HMMWV in order to log the find.Where would I ever find one of those. :o

But really,if it appeals to you,go for it.If not,no loss for you at all.

I joined Terracaching because a very nice guy, who is a prolific Geocache hider, placed a Terracache close to some of my Geocaches. I couldn't stand the thought of hiking past a cache, even one listed on another site, without finding it. :D

The Traditional Terracaches in this area are often on the top of peaks and usually offer challenging experiences. :o Some of them may be 50 miles apart, but it can take all day to get to and find one cache. :(

The Locationless ones, which GC.com used to have, are an interesting diversion as well. :D

The Traditional Terracaches in this area are often on the top of peaks and usually offer challenging experiences. smile.gif Some of them may be 50 miles apart, but it can take all day to get to and find one cache.

The few geocaches listed on TC.com in my area are largely piggy backed on existing GC.com geocaches. Sometimes only a few feet away. Heck one even copied a bio I wrote on one of my cache pages verbatim.

The Traditional Terracaches in this area are often on the top of peaks and usually offer challenging experiences. smile.gif Some of them may be 50 miles apart, but it can take all day to get to and find one cache.

The few geocaches listed on TC.com in my area are largely piggy backed on existing GC.com geocaches. Sometimes only a few feet away. Heck one even copied a bio I wrote on one of my cache pages verbatim.

I would be curious to know how many terracaches are in my area, but I absolutely refuse to grovel to the elite masses and beg for someone to be my friend so I can look into their little party.

That is not right! :o Did you email the person and ask them to change the text of their listing? I would have.

It is true some Terracaches are close to Geocaches. One person found one of my Geocaches while looking for a good place to hide her Terracache. :D It can work the other way around, too. I hid one of my caches after being lured to the peak in my search for a Terracache. :(

Edited by Miragee

I would be curious to know how many terracaches are in my area, but I absolutely refuse to grovel to the elite masses and beg for someone to be my friend so I can look into their little party.

I tried it and was FTF on one that was a funny street sign...in the middle of a town...right on main street. No container, just find the sign.

(shrugs)

Maybe that was a bit harsh. Im sure the site would be better recieved and would be better in general if the site was updated to make it more modern. All this getting people to sponsor you then the fact they are always like 30 miles apart...just makes it almost old fashioned.

Hmmmmmmm........30mi apart, those boys selling the oil like that!

So in many parts of the country, interesting places etc wouldn't be utilized because of the 30 mi rule?

Maybe I need to hear more, so far doesn't sound like it's worth investigating.

That is not right! :D Did you email the person and ask them to change the text of their listing? I would have.

It is true some Terracaches are close to Geocaches. One person found one of my Geocaches while looking for a good place to hide her Terracache. :rolleyes: It can work the other way around, too. I hid one of my caches after being lured to the peak in my search for a Terracache. :blink:

We have the same problem with letterboxes.

I have no doubt that some caches from this site are crowding caches from that site, and others.

Intersite cooperating is not high.

Well, some people like the dearth of caches on that site because it is sort of how Geocaching was about six years ago. :rolleyes:

That's why I joined....It's like starting over again. :D

Yup, what you have is proof that most old timers like it the way it is on this site rather than when it really does resemble the old days. :blink: No matter what they say.

Read about some caches being called Terra caches? What are these?
Terracaching is similar to geocaching but it is a different website...

Actually" terracaching" is geocaching. Some people refer to both of the geocaches listed on terracaching.com as terra caches to differentiate between geocaches listed here.
Terracaching has some key differences from geocaching. The caches themselves are basically the same but terracaching allows virtuals and locationless caches. They also let the users rate caches so you can easily find the better ones. They also have a peer review system. It takes two votes from your sponsors to get your cache approved. I have found a handful of them when I've been out hiking. No biggie... :rolleyes: Edited by TrailGators
Well, some people like the dearth of caches on that site because it is sort of how Geocaching was about six years ago. :blink:
If you didn't include microspew in that equation TC would be a lot closer to GC. The people that switched over to TC did so mainly because of the microspew. As it continues to spread, more people will switch over. The bottom line is that I still have plenty of decent geocaches left to find. :rolleyes:

Well, some people like the dearth of caches on that site because it is sort of how Geocaching was about six years ago. :rolleyes:

That's why I joined....It's like starting over again. :D

Yup, what you have is proof that most old timers like it the way it is on this site rather than when it really does resemble the old days. :blink: No matter what they say.

Because there's more caches on GC to find is what you mean?

Well, some people like the dearth of caches on that site because it is sort of how Geocaching was about six years ago. B)

That's why I joined....It's like starting over again. B)

Yup, what you have is proof that most old timers like it the way it is on this site rather than when it really does resemble the old days. B) No matter what they say.

Not at all. It's that the other site has nothing to offer me. In my state there are 24 geocaches listed there and 3,332 listed here. None of those 24 caches appear to be any better than what I already have available (in fact most are right near an existing cache already listed here).

I haven't seen the vaunted superior quality. I see some junk there and some good caches, just like here.

Yeah TC may resemble the "old days", like in the first two months of the sport. I don't want to go back THAT far.

Edited by briansnat

...Because there's more caches on GC to find is what you mean?

Because the few caches listed on TC.com is like a blank page to work with. With a blank page you can start over with all the great spots and so on. The playing field there is what GC.com had when it began. If it really was so great, if the draw for the old days is so strong and worth fighting for, then old timers could and should go there and do it right. But they don't. They stay here and complain about lame caches.

Because the few caches listed on TC.com is like a blank page to work with. With a blank page you can start over with all the great spots and so on. The playing field there is what GC.com had when it began. If it really was so great, if the draw for the old days is so strong and worth fighting for, then old timers could and should go there and do it right. But they don't. They stay here and complain about lame caches.

Many of us "old timers" like it here, have a lot invested here and don't want to leave.

Going to a site that has like 60 users is not the answer.

Many of us "old timers" like it here, have a lot invested here and don't want to leave.

I agree with both of your posts. B) As long as there are some good caches to find, I'm gonna continue to play the game! B) Edited by TrailGators

Several well-respected "old-timers" here have "moved" over to TC.com because those caches take them to really-challenging locations where they can pursue their other interests like hiking and photography.

I don't feel like I have "moved" to TC.com, but I have sure enjoyed the challenges offered by the caches placed by these cachers. It is that variety I like about TC.com.

It is also easier to get a TC FTF around here than it is a GC FTF . . . B) Not that Terracachers are even into that competition . . . B)

Several well-respected "old-timers" here have "moved" over to TC.com because those caches take them to really-challenging locations where they can pursue their other interests like hiking and photography.

I don't feel like I have "moved" to TC.com, but I have sure enjoyed the challenges offered by the caches placed by these cachers. It is that variety I like about TC.com.

It is also easier to get a TC FTF around here than it is a GC FTF . . . B) Not that Terracachers are even into that competition . . . B)

They both have merit. If I'm out hiking I'll find whatever. Maybe someday, I'll even find a waymark when I can run a PQ with those... B)

I don't see the point of hiking 5 miles to find a cache listed over there that is 50 feet from a cache listed here that has been in that spot for 5 years.

The idea that caches there are more challenging or better in any way is nonsense plain and simple.

I don't see the point of hiking 5 miles to find a cache listed over there that is 50 feet from a cache listed here that has been in that spot for 5 years.

The idea that caches there are more challenging or better in any way is nonsense plain and simple.

There really is no significant difference with the "traditionals" other than which site they are registered with.

It's that the other site has nothing to offer me. In my state there are 24 geocaches listed there and 3,332 listed here. None of those 24 caches appear to be any better than what I already have available (in fact most are right near an existing cache already listed here).

I haven't seen the vaunted superior quality. I see some junk there and some good caches, just like here.

Yeah TC may resemble the "old days", like in the first two months of the sport. I don't want to go back THAT far.

My experience here in Pennsylvania mirrors Brian's in New Jersey. Perhaps it's a regional thing. If there's lots of quality terracaches in California or Washington or Florida, then hooray for that and have fun finding them. But the "only better quality caches" mantra is wearing really thin on me whenever I read a thread like this one.

There are 21 terracaches in Pennsylvania, compared to 8,750 geocaches. The terracache nearest my house is a historic marker virtual cache. It's listed as having a 1.5 mile hike because the owner gives parking coordinates 1.5 miles away. Duh. I can make a Wal-Mart lamp post micro into a terrain 5 if I park across the river and swim to it. That historic marker would make for a good waymark. Hmmm, it already is... I waymarked it years ago. Here's my Waymarking photo, with a bit of my car's rear view mirror showing in the picture:

d3604b21-7f21-4eac-8752-217d6ba52485.jpg

Yessir, there's a quality 1.5 mile hike for you. By the way, the hike was originally even longer because the TC hider fat-fingered the coordinates and said N41° instead of N40°, placing the marker many miles north in a random farm field. Nobody noticed for months, but that's what you get without a cache review process with rules and guidelines.

The next nearest Terracache is a vacation virtual, where the owner asks you to wander around in some woods to try and find the fire pit where he used to party as a teenager. The coords are from Google Earth and are approximate. Ummm, no thanks.

Finally, about 50 miles distant from my home, there's some terracaches with actual containers! But they don't appear to have the quality that would motivate me to drive there. One's a micro hidden in the parking lot of a post office ("use stealth"). I guess there's no listing guideline about government buildings, or a prohibition of lame parking lot micros.

After the batch near the post office micro, I have to go quite a ways further to find more terracaches. The next band contains nothing but terracaches that are near or at the sites of geocaches I've already found. Why return?

I would add more, but I've lost interest. Even describing the area terracaching scene is tiresome.