Jeep vs. Land Rover...

Okay, so I got my jeep travel bug, mostly because it was free. I don't particularly like jeeps, lots of reasons, personal preference mostly.

So I decided to place a cache (I havn't placed many so this seemed like a good reason) in conjunction with the jeep bugs. The cache is to be named "Land Rovers Rock", see the sarcasm there. Anyway, it was to be the starting point for the jeep tb that I received. But it was disapproved by the reviewer on the grounds that it did not follow the "commercial cache" guidelines. In short he considered it a commercial cache.

I'm in no way connected with LR, I do not work for the company, a foreign car repair shop, an off-road supply company, anything, you name it. I just love Land Rovers.

So I'm curious as to why Jeep can advertise on geocaching.com and I can't have a cache because it has the name of the vehicle that I am keenly interested in, towards being an obsession.

Any thought, background behind the Jeep commercial, etc.

I'm guessing that there is some sort of agreement (money?) between Groundspeak and Jeep. Am I right? Is that right?

Curious.

(Land Rovers Rock!!!)

The best thing about Land Rovers is the Depreciation. I can afford one of those 70k puppies if I get a 2000 one.

That said, I've never tried to get a cache approved with a statement in the title like that. It clearly relays your viewpoint on Land Rovers. I'm not sure it's commercial since no part of the cache has anything to do wiht Patronizing the Local Land Rover dealer. However I can see why it raised your reviewers eyebrow.

A Lower Key "Land Rover Viewpoint" or "Land Rover Series #1" would probably have worked.

To answer your "Yeah but what about Jeep" Question. Jeep worked with Groundspeak. Thus they had permissoin and I'm sure paid them for the advertising. I'm sure that Groundspeak would be more than happey to have a Land Rover promotion. I'm all for a Land Cruiser promotion myself.

Edited by Renegade Knight

yea land rovers are great to enjoy nature, particularly when they break down and leave you stranded enjoying nature for a little longer then you bargained. Jeeps are the ones that Rock!!!

In all seriousness land rovers dont have a very good track record for reliably, that is undeniable

Edited by photonut13

I love Rovers. If it weren't for Rovers I'd almost never get to use my winch.

clip99.jpg

Seriously, if a reviewer disapproves a cache, the person to be talking to is the reviewer. Ask what needs to change to get this cache approved and I'll bet you get a quick reply and approval.

Edited by CheshireFrog

You are welcome to buy 8,000 travel bug tags, attach them to little diecast Land Rovers, and set them free in caches. That'll be $34,000, please. Have fun. Travel bugs aren't subject to the commercial CACHE guideline. Geocaches are.

How about come clarification.

My Truck Rocks would be approved.

Jeep Cache #1 be approved.

Land Rover Trail #1 would be approved.

(I'm taking my best guess on what would be approved).

Land Rover Rocks won't and why the difference?

Land Rover Rocks won't and why the difference?

We haven't seen the denied cache, the other side of the story. Ya know?

You are very correct. Below is the cache description...

"For all of you who love Land Rovers, post some pictures of your baby here.

Jeep came out with travel bugs and I placed this cache to start off a 2007 Jeep travel bug. The contradiction shouldn't be lost on anyone....

This is an area with some very nice, quiet and peaceful trails right in the middle of Bowling Green. Unfortunately they aren’t accessible by Land Rover, or bicycle or any motorized vehicle for that matter. But all in all I wouldn't have it any other way, it’s a peaceful way to spend an hour or two and pick up two caches while you're in BG.

The cache is very near the trail edge and it should be easily found without any hunting in the wood line. Please use discretion to insure that you leave the site as you found it, or better."

What do you think?

Oh yeah, all vehicles depreciate. And every vehicle has a niche. I wouldn't use a Jeep but then I wouldn't use a Unimog either. Neither of them do the job for me. As for dependability, all vehicles have problems, even Land Rovers (replace the air system on the Disco IIs if you have one, you will be eventually anyway). But all in all, I love our Disco....

clip99.jpg

Seriously, if a reviewer disapproves a cache, the person to be talking to is the reviewer. Ask what needs to change to get this cache approved and I'll bet you get a quick reply and approval.

That is a sweeeettt picture. He/she attempted it, you can give them that....

clip99.jpg

That is a sweeeettt picture. He/she attempted it, you can give them that....

Land Rovers are great... for going to the mall.

That looks like a very expensive foot bridge. :rolleyes:

Footbridge? You mean he did drop in there for others to crawl over? :laughing:

I can't believe he attempted that... based on what I can see from the picture (excluding the LR of course), I never would have attempted that. It would be interesting to see just how "deep" that crack is.

He should have built a ramp and jumped it. :lol:

That looks like a very expensive foot bridge. :rolleyes:

Footbridge? You mean he did drop in there for others to crawl over? :laughing:

I can't believe he attempted that... based on what I can see from the picture (excluding the LR of course), I never would have attempted that. It would be interesting to see just how "deep" that crack is.

He should have built a ramp and jumped it. :lol:

Hard to say how deep it is, but it does look deep enough to swallow a Jeep without that nice bridging effect.

So I'm curious as to why Jeep can advertise on geocaching.com and I can't have a cache because it has the name of the vehicle that I am keenly interested in, towards being an obsession.

Geocaches have a whole list of things to do, and not do. Reading like an advert about how good X product is would likely violate the 'commerial' guidelines. (of course if you get permission from Groundspeak you can be commerical, but thats another topic). Travel bugs on the other hand are not reviewed and have fewer rules. Get a LR toy and make it into a travel bug. As for your geocache, tone it down.. politely ask your reviewer for help and maybe they'll explain what would be an acceptable level of "I love Land Rover" on the cache page :laughing:

If you really want to advertise on gc.com contact them and work out an agreement... maybe you've noticed the google ads or the links to other stores around the website?