Knife selection

jfabes

Does anyone have a recommendation on a knife, or tool, for scraping hides? Would you want to use a knife for that or is there an actual scraping tool? (besides sharp rocks...)

nish, i have seen (in print) the Chicago Cutlery 12" butcher knife used for scraping hides. the author says the shape is correct for two handed use, and he even dulls the edge a little to keep from being too aggressive so you won't cut through the hide. the price is right too.

dagger dog

I'll check it out, but I think I would like the tools that get away from the knife shape. I'm an absolute beginner at this and I need the simplest tools to help me work it out. I don't think I could weild a 12" knife blade with any degree of success.

Esp since I'm going rabbit hunting. ;)

One knife we carry (if you can call it a knife) is a Woodsman's Pal. It works great in heavy brush and you can even use it like an axe when camping. The tip is not sharp so you can poke around rocky areas without dulling the blade.

Woodsman.jpg

Most of the time we carry a Leatherman Wave and a Kershaw Ken Onion Chive.

it's a work of art, the leather handle and hand guard, kind of a cross between a boarding cutlass and one of those billhook things the peasants carried when the're hunting down the Frankenstein monster.

man you can pound out a chicken breast filet, cut the wood to cook it with, hold off the wolves that come to the scent of the raw chicken all with one tool! i give it a ten :D

One knife we carry (if you can call it a knife) is a Woodsman's Pal. It works great in heavy brush and you can even use it like an axe when camping. The tip is not sharp so you can poke around rocky areas without dulling the blade.

Woodsman.jpg

it's a work of art, the leather handle and hand guard, kind of a cross between a boarding cutlass and one of those billhook things the peasants carried when the're hunting down the Frankenstein monster.

man you can pound out a chicken breast filet, cut the wood to cook it with, hold off the wolves that come to the scent of the raw chicken all with one tool! i give it a ten :D

Awesome. One more thing to buy :D

Woodsman.jpg

That woodsman's pal has been on my "to buy" list for some time.

My EDC knife is also a Kershaw Ken Onion (a Leek smoke). The Ken Onion spring assists are about as close to a switchblade as you can get and still be legal. I usually pack a SWA and a no-name multitool for caching as well. For camping or long hikes I also have a Cold Steel machete.

I heard good thinks about the Glock straight blades, think I'm gonna look into one of those next.

opens quickly and is good enough to get stabby with:

I'm not a big fan of the folders that you have to dig out the blades; I like the idea of being able to get the blade out and into service with one hand.

Very partial to Benchmade and Cold Steel

Have you seen the Kershaw knives? THey are quick open folding knives made to open with one hand. Pull them out and barely push on the thumb notch and they spring open. I believe this feature is called SpeedSafe. Safety note: They do have a switch to disable this feature when in your pcoket for extended amounts of time.

I was thinking about getting a Gerber LMF II. Has anybody had experience with these?

Gerber LMF II is a great knife; designed as a combat/utility knife. Has a good sheath, with several carry options and a built in sharpener.

Weight may be a drawback for general geocaching, but off road, it won't let you down.

Heavy duty use all the way ~ and ~ American Made. :rolleyes:

John

I just received my Gerber LMF II yesterday. Echoing what SharpShin wrote, the knife is heavy, but built rock solid. It has enough different mounting options to keep anyone happy. You can attach it using the MOLE option, it can be attached to your belt, and to your calves.

(personal preferences)

I wish they would have reduced the size of the serrated section by about half an inch. I like more blade myself.

The button straps for the handle are extemely short. snapping them together requires intense concentration, and thumb strength.

The sheath locks the knife into place quite firmly, it will take some getting used to. Pulling the knife out quickly, in a defense situation may prove difficult.

Edited by Kit Fox

I just received my Gerber LMF II yesterday. Echoing what SharpShin wrote, the knife is heavy, but built rock solid. It has enough different mounting options to keep anyone happy. You can attach it using the MOLE option, it can be attached to your belt, and to your calves.

(personal preferences)

I wish they would have reduced the size of the serrated section by about half an inch. I like more blade myself.

The button straps for the handle are extemely short. snapping them together requires intense concentration, and thumb strength.

The sheath locks the knife into place quite firmly, it will take some getting used to. Pulling the knife out quickly, in a defense situation may prove difficult.

For those interested, Gerber has a smaller/lighter version of the LMF-II out called the "Prodigy". (It is not listed on there website yet, so I can't provide a link". :huh:

Following quoted from May 2008 issue of Tactical Knives :

"Both the LMF II and the Prodigy have 4 3/4" x 3/16 inch thick blades of Sandvik 12C7 stainless steel, but the latter weighs 12 ounces in its sheath, while the LMF-II infantry tips the scales at 24 ounces. ... Where the Prodigy's blade is 1-1/8 inches wide, the LMF is 1-3/8 inches. Same goes for the two knives' handles. The Prodigy is 1 inch wide and 4-7/8 inches long but the LMF is 1-1/4 inches wide and 5-5/8 inches long."

Basically, the Prodigy is not as massive as the LMF-II, but is still a good field/utility knife. Sheaths are similar, however the Prodigy sheath does not have the integeral sharpener.

MSRP is about $75.00, but can be had approximately $20.00 cheaper on the internet knife sites.

Edited by SharpShin'

Here's mine. It's a Van Hoy Snap Lock, which I use mostly as a good-looking letter-opener and plastic-wrap remover, but it's cut its share of branches while hiking. Definitely an attention-getter.

vanhoysnaplockwd4.jpg

On sale at Back Country outlet for $36 not bad

The straight blade of this version is scheduled to be on steapandcheap.com today. I paid $15 plus 6.84 shipping for it last time.

Edited by IBcrashen

For those interested, Gerber has a smaller/lighter version of the LMF-II out called the "Prodigy". (It is not listed on there website yet, so I can't provide a link". :laughing:

"Both the LMF II and the Prodigy have 4 3/4" x 3/16 inch thick blades of Sandvik 12C7 stainless steel, but the latter weighs 12 ounces in its sheath, while the LMF-II infantry tips the scales at 24 ounces. ... Where the Prodigy's blade is 1-1/8 inches wide, the LMF is 1-3/8 inches. Same goes for the two knives' handles. The Prodigy is 1 inch wide and 4-7/8 inches long but the LMF is 1-1/4 inches wide and 5-5/8 inches long."

Basically, the Prodigy is not as massive as the LMF-II, but is still a good field/utility knife. Sheaths are similar, however the Prodigy sheath does not have the integeral sharpener.

MSRP is about $75.00, but can be had approximately $20.00 cheaper on the internet knife sites.

Hmm, I think I'll still grab the LMF though - I'm looking for a massive knife that I can beat the crap out of and not have to worry too much. If I need a smaller knife I can carry my Freeman.

For those interested, Gerber has a smaller/lighter version of the LMF-II out called the "Prodigy". (It is not listed on there website yet, so I can't provide a link". :unsure:

Hmm, I think I'll still grab the LMF though - I'm looking for a massive knife that I can beat the crap out of and not have to worry too much. If I need a smaller knife I can carry my Freeman.

FYI: Weight on the LMF II is about 12 oz and the Prodigy is about 7 oz.

FYI: Weight on the LMF II is about 12 oz and the Prodigy is about 7 oz.

Roger that. I'll carry the extra weight for the extra thickness on the blade. According to the quote from that tactical Knives magazine mentioned

Where the Prodigy's blade is 1-1/8 inches wide, the LMF is 1-3/8 inches

it sounds like it has a tiny bit more spine and I've got big enough hands I can still grip the wider handle.

The price on the Prodigy sure is nice though. Just about have to get both.

You know, I never had a knife that couldn't fit in my pocket before this last winter. Now I'm talking about getting bunches of them WTH? :unsure:

Ohhh, now you're making me jealous :(

I should still pick one of these up...

They're on sale for 59.99! The deal includes a special blade for cutting seatbelts.

Is that where you ordered yours from? A decent business?

I've ordered from that company three times, with zero problems. Check out their "closeout" section.

Ordered, but I guess my order is being held up by the 100' of paracord I put with it (that they didn't bother to tell me was out of stock).

Anyway, I still don't have a good folder. I'm looking at the RSK MK1 ( www.equipped.org ). Doug's fans seem to like it alot - does anyone here have an opinion? I'm not against spending for quality but $115 is a good chunk of cash for a knife when I've already got a few.