Knife selection

jfabes

I was thinking about getting a Gerber LMF II. Has anybody had experience with these?

Gerber LMF II is a great knife; designed as a combat/utility knife. Has a good sheath, with several carry options and a built in sharpener.

Weight may be a drawback for general geocaching, but off road, it won't let you down.

Heavy duty use all the way ~ and ~ American Made. :lol:

John

Edited by SharpShin'

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in as well...

I carry a Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops Tanto with me daily:

c8a6_3.JPG

And for longer hikes there is a kabar in my pack (though Uncle Sam didn't buy it for me :D):

kabarusmcseveninch.jpg

Mostly everything gets done with my trusty S&W Tanto (I for one am a fan of the serrated blade, just buy a good diamond sharpener) - but every now and then if I have to do any heavier chopping or anything, the kabar comes out of the pack. It is reassuring to have a nice quality fixed blade knife if you ever find yourself in a survival situation...

Edited because I can't spell...

Edited by irchriscdk

A 3" Craftsman 3 blade pocket knife has served me faithfully over the past 12 years of Scouting. It has handled everything I've ever needed it for. It's loosened screws, dug log books out of nano containers, cut the cheese (literally), dug out splinters, cleaned the mud off my boots, cut leather, opened cans, and carved many, many, many walking sticks!

I used to carry a Gerber GatorMate with me on the trails until I lost it one day. I now carry a Buck Protege. It is lightweight and holds an edge fairly well. I also have a Buck Cadet that I carry with me even when I'm not on the trail. I also own a Buck PathFinder which is a very nice knife. I am now looking into purchasing the Buck Code 3 Crosslock because of it's versatility.

I have tried various sharpening systems over the years and the one I like the best is my Burke Sharpening System that I use for my woodcarving tools. It is an expensive unit but for me it is an essential item that I use for my secondary trade. I have been woodcarving for several years so I get to do allot of sharpening and after a while you just develop a feel for it. :D

Personally not a big fan of serrated. Then again I don't backpack or hunt. I go with a Gerber. They are a good, well made knife no matter what model you buy. SOG and Kershaw also good. Getting back the serrated part, unless you have a specific use for the serrated half it takes up half the blade and only does certain things that a standard straight edge knife will do with proper sharpening. Well there's my 2 cents.

I received a Gerber Suspension as a gift last year and really love it. It's always with me when I'm outdoors. If I'm backpacking I'll take an old 6" fixed blade buck knife as well.

I've been contemplating buying a Case pocket knife like my Grandfather always carries for an everyday pocket knife. I'm thinking about one of the medium stockmans with the CV blade. Does any one know if Case are still good knives.

I carried a Buck Folding Hunter 110 for about 30 years, and it did everything I needed and then some. However, about 4 years ago I started to carry a Gerber Multi-Tool, and it does even more than the old Buck. If you have not purchased yet, I suggest a high-end multi-tool, but go for titanium to keep the weight down. And leave that Ka-Bar at home as it is too heavy for long distance carrying in peaceful zones.

When Leatherman came out with the Super Tool I stopped carrying my Swiss Army knife. I love it, cumbersome as heck to use a lot but it can do so much so well, always sharpened and cleaned as needed. I have the accessory kits for it, one in my glovebox and one in my backpack. I have the Leatherman Micra on my truck keys for the odd time when I cannot have the 'big boy'.

S&W gold shield issue with a clip I usually have on my waist band while hiking or jogging. The Jaguar was from a friend and so it was free ( I like the yin yang sign) and great grip- some kind of heavy rubber. Finally the $15 winchester I picked up from wal-mart while getting some equipment. I like it for it is a fixed blade and attachable to belt or leg with sheath.

I don't have but would like chris reeves moutaineers.

th_knife003.jpg

Gerber didn't become legendary by accident B)

My paraframe has worked perfectly, holds a smart edge and it's light! http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=8448

Serated blades might look cool, but I've never found them to be useful for much of anything in real world use. If you cut a cord or rope the ends are instantly frayed. Tarps are cut jagged because of side-pull from seration. It cuts too deeply into greenwood making carving anything a chore. Worst of all, they're near impossible to resharpen unless you're very, VERY serious about learning resharpening technique and have the right tools (which are often more expensive than all your knives together if they're decent). Get a good fine edge blade like Gerber, Benchmark, Schrade or a good solid Buck and you should be happy for a very long time. I've owned (been gifted) a few serated blades, but they're all at the bottom of my tool drawers now. Want to hack away at stuff in the woods? Go get a machete or camp axe. They both work better for that stuff anyway B)

The little hors d'oeuvres fork is a pretty sweet deal on that knife tool. I think Snat should have one for the can o' clams he's always packing with him. :D

That's what the knife thingie is for. You pick up a twig and fashion a fancy clam toothpick out of it. :D

Alternatively, you pick up TWO twigs and fashion chopsticks out of them. :D

I carried a Buck Folding Hunter 110 for about 30 years, and it did everything I needed and then some. However, about 4 years ago I started to carry a Gerber Multi-Tool, and it does even more than the old Buck. If you have not purchased yet, I suggest a high-end multi-tool, but go for titanium to keep the weight down. And leave that Ka-Bar at home as it is too heavy for long distance carrying in peaceful zones.

On short trips when I'm not carrying a bunch of gear (and therefore, not much to fix), my good old Camillus Boy Scout pocket knife works great! It's too bad Camillus went out of business :P : apparently, they could not compete with the $2/day labor rates in the Asia.

PS: It looks like Bear Mfg in Florida :unsure: is picking up the manufacturing of the knives for the Boy Scouts.

It's too bad Camillus went out of business :P : apparently, they could not compete with the $2/day labor rates in the Asia.

There are knife companies who make excellent products in the US (Spyderco, Benchmade, others). Camillus had prolonged union trouble. I managed to buy one knife from them when I heard of the last strike brewing. It sounded like it was going to bring the company down.

after eyeballing a few posts,

i carry a Cold Steel Tanto 6" blade about 12" overall. it's good for chopping and i guess you could use it for self defense if you were the :laughing: ninja type. it's also a good prybar and you get ferocious sparks when struck against one of those fire starter flints.

i also carry a Swiss Army knife for the everyday chores you know, spreading p-nut butter, cutting those mylar bags in which a lot of the "trailfood" is sold.

i keep looking at one of those Woodsmans Pals, the oddball looking machete-bill hook kindling chopper that are manufactured in Pennsylvania. has any one had any experience with one of these? like some input if so.

i got this thing about packing what you want, don't care much about weight.

Edited by dagger dog

What kinda of knife do you take along with you when camping, hiking, or backpacking?

I have an old k-bar from my marine corps days that I usually take with me but its a straight edge and I am now thinking I want a serrated fixed blade instead. Any suggestions?

i'm somewhat of a knive collector ,over 350. the ones i mostly take with me are :my trusty spyderco endura is aways with me ,you can't beat one hand opening while climbing cliffs or rocks ,another great knife is the victorinox champ its got alot little tools on it, the cold steel outdoorsman is the fixed blade i carry the most this a realy nice knife and extremly strong and sharp the downer is this knife has a high price tag $250 i think, or the cold steel SRK is a great one $65 i think, i hammered it through a quarter dollar with no damage to the tip. other brands i recommend are SOG ,BENCHMADE,AL-MAR .Just to name a few, if your looking for value GERBER,BUCK knives are good too. :drama: VE

I have always found that Cold Steel manufactures some really good quality knives at a competitive price. They have a wide range of knives and offer a video of their products, it's quite impressive. CRKT (Columbia River Knife and Tool) also have some really good knives at a fair price. I have purchased knives in the past from "Knives plus", They have some really great prices and can be found on line.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a knife, or tool, for scraping hides? Would you want to use a knife for that or is there an actual scraping tool? (besides sharp rocks...)

nish, i have seen (in print) the Chicago Cutlery 12" butcher knife used for scraping hides. the author says the shape is correct for two handed use, and he even dulls the edge a little to keep from being too aggressive so you won't cut through the hide. the price is right too.

dagger dog

kinda pricey but looks like it could be a pretty good survival tool

Yes, I have always wanted an axe that I could use as an inclinometer. ;)

Okay, I cracked a joke about this thing, but I want to do it justice. If you want to know how suitable this thing is for axe use, just look at the guy's knuckles. Also, just attempt to imagine what will happen to your wrist if you really attempt to pound this thing like an axe. Having had a wrist broken badly long ago, I have to tell you that problems come back very easily. This thing will slowly, insidiously pulverize your wrist.

Its suitability for food preparation as a knife is also eyebrow raising. How exactly does it work? Do you mash your food or cut it?

I fail to see a single application that this thing might be particularly good for besides looking weird.