60cs vs. New Legend Hcx

What makes the 60cx so much more expensive than say the soon to be Legend Hcx? I don't need/want an electronic compass. Other than shape/weight....the two units seem the same to me. All I can figure out is that the 60 model must have a more rugged housing.

They are both pretty rugged. Looks like the big difference is that the Legend HCX doesn't come with a SD card and the 60 does.

Actually the difference in price probably won't be that much retail. The 60CX is heavily discounted and usually a little over $300. I'm willing to bet that the HCX won't get discounted as much.

The Legend comes with no data card, as mentioned before. With this unit, you pretty much have nowhere to go from an upgrade/mapping standpoint. With the 60Cx you can add additional mapping software, including auto navigation, if desired.

I believe that the Legend HCX does have expandable memory (That is what the X means in the model name). It doesn't come with a SD card but you can add one later. The Legend HCX does handle auto navigation.

The 60Cx also has a larger screen and tide information. I also prefer the button arrangement on the 60 series. However, they stick out and the buttons on my 60Cs are wearing out; whereas my old Etrex Vista is holding strong on the buttons, although the thick rubber band around it has come unglued and ripped.

Offroute.com is offering pre-sale Legend HCx' for $210. I pre-ordered a Vista HCx for $235.

As mentioned above, the 60 series use larger (and more expensive) display screens. Also the 60Cx and CSx use the SiRF III chip whereas the new HCx models will reportedly use a less expensive (but perhaps just as good) high-sensitivity chip.

Because I use my 60CSx for car and motorcycle navigation as well as for hiking, the larger screen and easier-to-use front buttons justify the extra cost. I must admit though, for just outdoor recreation use, it's hard to beat the price and features of the new HCx models.

Because of their smaller size, I prefer the eTrex series. I also prefer the Click Stick on my Vista C and the way it works, as opposed to the buttons on the 60/76 Series. You really need to hold, and use, the GPSrs to see what works best for you.

For "cool" factor, it seems like most the cachers around here who can afford them, get the 60CSx. :D

As mentioned above, the 60 series use larger (and more expensive) display screens. Also the 60Cx and CSx use the SiRF III chip whereas the new HCx models will reportedly use a less expensive (but perhaps just as good) high-sensitivity chip.

<snip>

I don't know if the Garmin web site ever claimed a SiRF III chip for the 60CSX, but it doesn't now. It says the same "high-sensitivity chip" on the web page as does the new eTRex line.

<snip>

I don't know if the Garmin web site ever claimed a SiRF III chip for the 60CSX, but it doesn't now. It says the same "high-sensitivity chip" on the web page as does the new eTRex line.

The Garmin units that include the SiRF III chip (including the 60CSx) show the SiRF logo at the bottom of their respective product web pages. The recently-posted pages for the HCx models do not show the logo. This is certainly not definative proof that the HCx models will ship with an alternate high-sensitivity chip, but that is the current speculation. SiRF or not, I suspect the HCx will at least closely approximate the performance of the CSx.

Edited by Glenn W

Excellent - after doing a bit of research, I was planning on asking this exact same question.

Legend HCx ($210) vs 60 CSx ($345)

What do you get for the extra $135?

-altimeter

-compass

-tide tables

-bigger screen

-64 MB card that will be replaced by a much larger one

-inferior batter life (18 hrs advertised vs 25 for the Legend)

Did I miss anything?

I would actually like to have the altimeter and compass but not sure it's worth the money (I'm a notorious bang-for-buck shopper :o) . And I must be missing something but do you really need a compass to know what direction you're heading in? I've never used one of these GPS units, but it seems like if you can find N on the map and see your progress heading that way....

I think I may have just made the decision already by laying it all out that way. However, that Legend doesn't come out for another month and now that I'm all hot & bothered about this stuff, could be a long wait!

I use my GPSr that way all the time and then I look at the Profile of the hike. This is a hike I did last Sunday.

02eab91a-3586-47c2-9933-026bbe4c4118.jpg

If you forget to zero out the Trip Odometer on the GPSr at the beginning of the hike . . . like I often do :o, you can use the Map tools to cut, or rejoin, the track at the correct places to see the actual distance.

Make sure you always carry spare batteries if you want the track to be accurate . . . <_<

. . .

Legend HCx ($210) vs 60 CSx ($345)

What do you get for the extra $135?

-altimeter

-compass

. . .

I would actually like to have the altimeter and compass but not sure it's worth the money (I'm a notorious bang-for-buck shopper :rolleyes: ) .

Garmin markets a Legend HCX with altimeter and electronic compass using the name Vista CHx. If the altimeter and compass are important to you (I personally don't care for them), go with the Vista.

The Legend comes with no data card, as mentioned before. With this unit, you pretty much have nowhere to go from an upgrade/mapping standpoint. With the 60Cx you can add additional mapping software, including auto navigation, if desired.

I believe that the Legend HCX does have expandable memory (That is what the X means in the model name). It doesn't come with a SD card but you can add one later. The Legend HCX does handle auto navigation.

Sounds like a great model. I actually like the smaller footprint on those.

I've been using a Vista since '02 and it has worked fine. Now the HCX legend sounds interesting. And I've been thinking of getting a new GPS but the 60CSX is just too expensive for my wallet. I don't use the altimeter or compass that much so I would not miss those features and the notion that it has a better receiver sounds like a nice feature. With color and a screen that is a little wider and more routes I think I

could get my moneys worth from the Legend.

Well, I own a 60Cx (No S) and a Legend C (no x).

I do notice that the 60 allows both serial and usb connections, as well as a port for an external antenna.

The Legend C does USB only and has no external antenna port.

I personally loved my Legend C , and had no need to improve, but won an online contest and got the 60Cx.

I have grown to like it's button layout and bigger screen.

Also, between my two models, the 60Cx has the advantage of the SirfIII chip.

I haven't heard of anyone comparing the new chip in the Legend HCX with the SirfIII chip in the 60CX, so I can only state that when caching beside the older Legend I retain a good signal in places where they don't get a signal at all. I have been caching insdie the bottom story of a 3 story parking garage and have retained a good signal. This is not possible with the older units. Hopefully the new chip in the Legend CX will be able to do the same.

Just FYI

Garmins use "GMAP"to show which units come preloaded with maps

Units that just say GPS like GPS 60 C = no map

Garmin Letter Class

C = Color screen

S = Barometric Altimeter & Electronic Compass

X = Expandable memory

H = High Sens (I think,havent confirmed that yet..)

60 series are (for the most part) powerd by the Sirf chip and have a Quad helix Antenna, USB/Serial cable options external antenna options cool button layout rubberized corners for better grip waterproof to a meter.

70 series are for the most part just like the 60 series but they will float.

Here's the reply from Garmin re: antenna differences between quad-helix on 60CSx and the patch antenna inside the Vista HCx:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Garmin International, the Vista HCx has a high sensitivity antenna manufactured by Garmin. The quad helix antenna will acquire satellites on the horizon first, where the patch antenna inside the Vista HCx will acquire the satellites directly above first, then the horizon secondly. Both will acquire satellites in denser coverage with the same capability.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The quad helix antenna will acquire satellites on the horizon first, where the patch antenna inside the Vista HCx will acquire the satellites directly above first, then the horizon secondly. Both will acquire satellites in denser coverage with the same capability.

It looks to me that this HCX technology will be at least as good, if not better, than the 60csx technology. It seems to do the same thing, only it will look directly above first.

I'm in the same boat now. I'd like to start geocaching, and it only makes sense to wait until the 24th rolls around. But by then, another month of summer will have passed me by. Is having a month of geocaching this year worth going with the Legend CX today as opposed to an HCX tomorrow? For a hiker and occasional geocacher, is it worth the wait?

If I pull the trigger too soon, will I be lamenting my decision next year (provided that the new Legend/Vista's H is as good as the 60s)?

I guess one of the things I should factor in is the geocaching and hiking is not a "summer only" activity. It's a "not in winter" (usually) activity. And that's nearly year round. Perhaps I can patiently wait.

Just FYI

Garmin Letter Class

C = Color screen

X = Expandable memory

60 series are (for the most part) powerd by the Sirf chip and have a Quad helix Antenna, USB/Serial cable options external antenna options cool button layout rubberized corners for better grip waterproof to a meter.

eTrex Vista® HCx has compass and altimeter BUT NO S

Just FYI

Garmin Letter Class

C = Color screen

X = Expandable memory

eTrex Vista® HCx has compass and altimeter BUT NO S

The Vista is the "S". In the Etex line, the Vista has always come with an altimeter and electronic compass. So, your letter class applies only to the 60 series, not the Etrex. You are correct about the "H".

Has anyone ever used offroute.com? I notice that the price for the legend CX and HCX is the same...same for the vista CX and HCX. Are you telling me that they are going to price the HCX line the exact same as the older CX line?

The Cx' include a 64mb card; the HCx' do not. I have purchased from offroute.com before and will vouch for them. I pre-ordered a Vista HCx from them last week and they called me the same day to remind me the units are not in stock and will be shipping late July.

I haven't heard of anyone comparing the new chip in the Legend HCX with the SirfIII chip in the 60CX, so I can only state that when caching beside the older Legend I retain a good signal in places where they don't get a signal at all. I have been caching insdie the bottom story of a 3 story parking garage and have retained a good signal. This is not possible with the older units. Hopefully the new chip in the Legend CX will be able to do the same.

My old Vista can find this cache. The trick is to go to the top of the garage to get a fix, then go down to find the cache :( .