Safari for Windows

BRTango

Never heard of it, what's it do?

It's a web browser for the MAC. Apple just released a windows version. Supposed to be much faster than IE and Firefox.

Now that I think about it, I probably should have posted this to the website forum. If a mod could slip this over that way, I'd appreciate it.

Sounds interesting, but I use the Opera browser, which is much faster than either IE or Firefox, so I don't think I'll need to check it out. :rolleyes:

I never had much luck with Opera... although I haven't tried it in a couple of years. It always seemed to have problems with many of the web pages I'd visit.

Edited by BRTango

I've been using it for almost six years now and it works for the pages I visit . . . however, there are sites that are very poorly-coded and Opera is less-tolerant of those . . . :rolleyes:

It doesn't (well... didn't in the past) seem to work well with my online banking, so I dropped it pretty quick. Anyway... I'm curious about Safari, think I'll give it a try this evening. Maybe I'll pull the latest Opera as well.

Safari for Windows was cracked on its first day. A security researcher wrote "I now have a fully functional command execution vulnerability, triggered without user interaction simply by visiting a website."

Apple excels in a lot of area, but they have no experience writing safe code for the security hellhole that is Windows.

I'd heard that Safari was compatible with the "Acid2 Test" (which sees how compatible a browser is with the standards, notably for drawing things).

The test is here: http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/ It's worth running on your browser. Firefox is pretty bad, IE is hilarious.

Safari 3 public beta for Windows crashes :)

The current Firefox nightly builds pass Acid2, as will the upcoming Firefox 3.

Safari for Windows was cracked on its first day. A security researcher wrote "I now have a fully functional command execution vulnerability, triggered without user interaction simply by visiting a website."

Apple excels in a lot of area, but they have no experience writing safe code for the security hellhole that is Windows.

Sure they do, quicktime and itunes have been on windows for years.

It's a beta. There will be bugs. U

sing a beta web browser is not a good idea unless you know what you are doing.

I use Safari all the time on my Mac (don't like Firefox as it's too slow and just does not look right) so tried it on Windows. Looks to be good apart from the GPX download from a cache page seems to be broken and ends up trying ot download the underlying .aspx page that generates the GPX file.

Safari 2 passes the Acid 2 test on my Mac with no problems at all. Just off to try it with Safari 3...

Just tried it Safari 3 on XP and it's spot on - does not crash and displays the image correctly.

I'd heard that Safari was compatible with the "Acid2 Test" (which sees how compatible a browser is with the standards, notably for drawing things).

The test is here: http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/ It's worth running on your browser. Firefox is pretty bad, IE is hilarious.

Safari 3 public beta for Windows crashes B)

i wouldn't bother with safari for windows, since i don't bother with windows.

there is one little issue with regual safari, though: on my machine, at least, the Groundspeak forums (and only the Groundspeak forums) crash my browswer.

it's a pain.

I'm using a mac, but I've been using Firefox for months because safari was really unstable and would just quit for no reason, frequently.

Apple just released Safari V3, its a beta and I'm back using safari and so far no problems (on my mac), it passed that acid test just fine, and seems stable.

Of course Safari will pass the acid test, it's built off the Linux KHTML rendering engine, that successfully passed it first.

I would never use Safari for regular browsing, merely testing web design. I hate the brushed metal interface, it just doesn't work on Windows.

There's an updated version out to fix all that.

That said, I'm not really sure what Apple's going after. I think that most people who want to shun IE are probably using either Firefox or Opera. Probably the only people who will use Safari are Mac users who also use PCs. Personally, I use Webkit on the Mac and Firefox on Windows.

Sounds interesting, but I use the Opera browser, which is much faster than either IE or Firefox, so I don't think I'll need to check it out. ;)

I just have to comment because my personality is different than yours. I primarily use Firefox with some AddOns. But I downloaded Safari just so I could see how it works! I still primarily use Firefox. I have Opera installed too, and try it for some pages sometimes. I have Opera Mini on my phone.

Anyway...Safari is still definitely beta. Try it if you want...but don't make it your default or even preferred just yet.

Tried it out, but can't see why I would drop Firefox for it. There didn't seem to be any support for themes, so you can't get rid of that awful etched metal look. The fonts looked muddy, probably due to Apple deciding not to utilize native ClearType capabilities, and instead using something of their own concoction. The few nice touches it does have, such as being able to resize most textboxes, are also available in Firefox by just adding an extension.

Sounds interesting, but I use the Opera browser, which is much faster than either IE or Firefox, so I don't think I'll need to check it out. <_<

I am an Opera user, as well. Safari blows Opera out of the water rendering pages. It's a lot faster (at least on my dysfunctional machine). I also haven't seen many issues with it, just some minor annoyances: I can't use the extra buttons on my mouse (set for forward and back pages), there's no apparent way to delete buttons from the toolbar, so I'm stuck with the add a link button, etc., and I like Mouse Gestures on Opera. I know it's beta still, so I'll wait until they fix it. Unless I throw the Windoze machine out the real window.

As for the GC.com site, it's fine. I haven't seen any issues with it.

Granted, I'm starting to phase out of the Winblows machine, and over to the new Mac laptop, so most of this is moot at this point.