Geocacher Sizes

Here is a very simple observation I made at GeoWoodstock5:

Despite claims of the sport being very healthy, I saw a lot of really fat, yet prolific, Geocachers.

So here's my question -- is Geocaching really a "sport" in the sense that it is physically exerting, or are only certain caches physically exerting and most people who are fit are generally the type who would be fit anyway?

On average, how often do you do a physically-exerting cache compared to driving, stopping, roaming around for a few hundred yards, and getting back into your car / van / scooter / other non-physical vehicle?

Despite claims of the sport being very healthy, I saw a lot of really fat, yet prolific, Geocachers.

Sport or not, I do notice that many geocachers tend to be on the large side. I include myself, as I'm no Twiggy, tipping the scales at around 230 - 240 lbs. I find myself in good company at events.

Are we just a snapshot of the general population or is there a something about geocaching that attracts us chubsters?

Edited by briansnat

Sport or game, it is often played by us fat folk!

You have two ways to lose weight - reduce input or increase output. It's really a simple equation!

Whatever we call geocaching and however we do it we typically increase output, so caching is a good thing!

My issue with fat folks caching is the recognition that there are a lot of us out there, and the folks that host events don't recognize that fact!

I attend a lot of events and have never been to one where the 4X t-shirts, if offered at all, weren't gone in the first few minutes!

Look at pictures from past events, especially in the South, and you can easily see the need for ordering more 3X and 4X shirts!

And pockets. Shirts need pockets. Geocachers need pockets. Ergo, geocaching shirts need pockets!!

So here's my question -- is Geocaching really a "sport" in the sense that it is physically exerting, or are only certain caches physically exerting and most people who are fit are generally the type who would be fit anyway?

Group photos show that geocachers are a fairly typical cross-section of body types and ages. I don't think it was always that way. Early on most geocaches were a box in the woods which required some hiking, and geocachers tended to be active outdoors people in somewhat better shape than the average person.

As geocaching broadened (pun intended) it brought in less physically active people who seek and hide easier caches. I know some geocachers with big numbers--both finds and body fat--who rarely venture more than a few hundred feet from their car. This reflects the ongoing obesity epidemic caused primarily by people driving everywhere and eating too much high-calorie junk.

Geocaching, for its part, at least gets people out and provides some opportunity for exercise. I hope that all the recent diabetes travel bugs are making people think about their weight and the sad realization that this is the first generation where the parents may outlive their children.

As for whether geocaching is a sport, it can be. Competitive people make it so. Just watch them race to be FTF to the most difficult caches or take on challenge cache series. I generally call geocaching a game because it pits me against muggles, clever hiders, would-be finders, and variable conditions. Most geocachers treat it as a casual hobby, though, which is good to keep in mind when we discuss guidelines and techniques.

Personally, I prefer caches of around 2.5 to 3.5 terrain rating, but I've done my share of both easier and harder caches.

But did you also see any super hot bikini model types? And, if so, can you share any pictures? :(

LOL.

Thinking about my area I think it's a general cross-section of the population. Of course, the heavier crowd often does the "easier" terrain caches - but that's the beauty of the RASH (I won't turn this into the much-hated micros thread it could easily become).

What I find interestiing is that I'm usually one of the younger ones at events, in the local area, etc. (at 36).

I think most of us just never grew up and like finding hiddne treasure. Although I'm now going off-topic, sorry.

Why are a lot of cachers overweight? I dunno.

On average, how often do you do a physically-exerting cache compared to driving, stopping, roaming around for a few hundred yards, and getting back into your car / van / scooter / other non-physical vehicle?

As I replied in the other thread, most of the caches I find, and place, involve a hike. I prefer driving to a trailhead and then getting out and hiking to find caches along a nice trail. :( With the price of gas here, I have no interest in driving around, in terrible traffic, looking for caches in urban or suburban locations. :(

Since I started caching, I have gotten in better shape than I have been in for many years and I have lost weight. :ph34r:

...Since I started caching, I have gotten in better shape than I have been in for many years and I have lost weight. :(

Ditto on the better shape. Since caching is hungry work, I hav'nt lost any weight due to it. But I haven't gained any since I've started either.

My pithy little weight loss comes from my sons comment as I was complaining about being hungry and reaching for a snack. "If you're hungry, that means your losing weight."

I'm 9lbs less than the Photo in my gallery. I'm 250lbs in that picture. Right now I'm hungry so I must be losing weight. :(

Since I started caching, I have gotten in better shape than I have been in for many years and I have lost weight. :(

On the other fin, since I started geocaching, I've gained twenty pounds! I can't really bame that on geocaching, though. I used to do a lot of long hikes, and section hiking the AT. Arthritis and common sense got the better of me (and Mount Madison, New Hampshire.) I hit a low of 180# about five years ago, and a high of 210# last winter. Currently just over 200#.

Now, BrianSnat is oe of the most active hikers/geocachers that I know! So, if we average him against Andy Bear (who hates long hikes, and is probably 98# soaking wet...), the average out at 170#!!!!

As I replied in the other thread, most of the caches I find, and place, involve a hike. I prefer driving to a trailhead and then getting out and hiking to find caches along a nice trail. :D With the price of gas here, I have no interest in driving around, in terrible traffic, looking for caches in urban or suburban locations. ;)

Since I started caching, I have gotten in better shape than I have been in for many years and I have lost weight. :D

I will agree with that statement. I have only been caching for a few months now and have a renewed vigor for exploring the great outdoors. I have always been an avid outdoorsman, but as you age and are more preoccupied with your time, a person tends to loose sight of things they once really enjoyed doing. Geocaching has opened a whole new door for me that has gotten me out on the trail more and that is a good thing. :huh: The long and short hikes will keep you healthy.

I think that if cachers are overwieght or maybe in need of a little excercise, this is a great hobby-game-sport that will spark that enthusiasm to get out more. There are a few cachers in my area that are in there 70's and are out and about everywhere. I think that is really great. As far as I know, Geocaching does not discriminate. At least I hope not, I am green and only 3' 10" from my feet to the tips of my pointy ears! ;)

The International Olympic Committee classifies chess and bridge as sports. I am much more active caching then then I play chess.

I play chess competitively and it can be pretty exhausting. So can a 2-hour 3.5* cache, of course. But when I go for a couple of micros I probably end up with a net gain in calories (snacks, Coke, etc).