Tell me if you think this is right

dude sounds like a real hole. that is just a stupid thing to do. someone should go raid the cache and set the bugs free. On the other hand, he does have the right to put a cache there, as long as he isn't breaking the rules. so while technically this guy is doing nothing wrong, he is toing the line, and has already jumped in over his head into the ethics pool, if you know what I mean.

Dude, keep reading. Once your done with the thread, you might consider apologizing.

Cut the guy some slack. He did something that might make people upset, listened to the advice, and is going to fix the problem. Sounds like a good cacher to me. Sounds like the cache would be a great challenging traditional cache. Just drop the TB Hotel in the description and you've got a winner.

Scoob

... It's His FIRST hide. I am willing to cut him slack, even if others do not. :P

Fair enough. Point him at this thread and let him learn. If he's an upright cacher willing to learn and do the right thing then he will. If not...we will soon know.

OK now you are making an assumption that the 'right thing' is what is discussed in the forums? :P:D:P:P:D:D;):D:D:huh:

Sorry, just had to get that out of me. I feel much better now. :P

My $.03. He gave it some thought, he thought it was a good idea, but most of us who post in here seem to agree that while it may be a great spot for a cache, it might not be the best spot for a TB Hotel themed cache. Calling him names will not encourage him to change his way of thinking though. Being rude won't either. It's my experience that those two behaviors tend to make people defensive.

As to the subject of TB Hotels, like anything else in Real Estate, it is all about location location location.

I'll agree that his choice of location was not the best one available. Here's an example of a good location for a TB Hotel. (OK I might be a bit biased ;) )

It's hidden with permission, behind the only hotel on the access road between the interstate and airport. It's been visited almost 1000 times in 4.5 years of operation. Many locals use it as a TB Depot and just post notes for follow up visits. It did get muggled once, but they left the TB's and took the trinkets. :D

... It's His FIRST hide. I am willing to cut him slack, even if others do not. :P

Fair enough. Point him at this thread and let him learn. If he's an upright cacher willing to learn and do the right thing then he will. If not...we will soon know.

OK now you are making an assumption that the 'right thing' is what is discussed in the forums? :P:D:P:P:D:D;):D:D:huh:

Sorry, just had to get that out of me. I feel much better now. :P

My $.03. He gave it some thought, he thought it was a good idea, but most of us who post in here seem to agree that while it may be a great spot for a cache, it might not be the best spot for a TB Hotel themed cache. Calling him names will not encourage him to change his way of thinking though. Being rude won't either. It's my experience that those two behaviors tend to make people defensive.

As to the subject of TB Hotels, like anything else in Real Estate, it is all about location location location.

I'll agree that his choice of location was not the best one available. Here's an example of a good location for a TB Hotel. (OK I might be a bit biased ;) )

It's hidden with permission, behind the only hotel on the access road between the interstate and airport. It's been visited almost 1000 times in 4.5 years of operation. Many locals use it as a TB Depot and just post notes for follow up visits. It did get muggled once, but they left the TB's and took the trinkets. :D

Glad to see this one is working out.

Like others have said (assuming the owner of the cache is still reading this thread):

No need to diable the cche itslef, just:

1)Drop the TB Hotel name

2) Move the TBs along so they are not stuck on the island for months

I just did a cache on an island in Lake Tahoe that required a boat to get to and if there were any TBs there I would have removed them all to help them along as well.

Well I have been keeping an eye on this and nothing has been done. Some of these TBs have been hostage for 6 months now. I even e-mailed the guy to ask if I could come and get some of them to get them moving again.

Have you considered taking on the mission to remove them from the cache and get them moving?

Well I have been keeping an eye on this and nothing has been done. Some of these TBs have been hostage for 6 months now. I even e-mailed the guy to ask if I could come and get some of them to get them moving again.

Why do you need his permission to seek and hopefully find his cache? :D

I was told that the cache was retrieved. Since I don't own a boat it would take a fair amount of effort to go look for the cache not knowing if it is there. I guess I could post all of his contact info so everyone effected could contact him. Why can't people just do the right thing?

I was told that the cache was retrieved. Since I don't own a boat it would take a fair amount of effort to go look for the cache not knowing if it is there. I guess I could post all of his contact info so everyone effected could contact him. Why can't people just do the right thing?
I suspect that you would become a baninated member pretty quickly if you posted another geocachers contact info.
I suspect that you would become a baninated member pretty quickly if you posted another geocachers contact info.

-now that you've had a few comments......

first, I agree that it was probably immature judgment that put a t.b. hotel on a #5.

BUT (see red above) what is YOUR statement revealing about you??

You can't control all the decisions others make. And, as a general rule, they aren't fatal. relax.

You aren't the gc police, nor judge and jury. :unsure:

I stoped buying TB tags quite some time ago. I have had TBs of mine placed in caches that were rated 5 and they sat there, sometimes for over a year. I have also had TBs placed in caches that were rated 1, those caches got muggled and I lost those TBs. I even have listed on the tag on the TB that the TB not be placed in caches rated more than a 3 or less than a 2. But to man cachers just do not read the directions for the TB or Just do not care. Or they do not know how to log that they have picked up a TB. No more TB for me.

Then add to the problem that it may take weeks to find a cache that can hold a TB.

As far as Geocoin theft, I am planning on a coin of my own. Very few will be placed into caches, most of them are going to be for tradding.

The purpose of a Travel Bug is to TRAVEL. Do you think hording them up and sticking them in a Travel Bug Hotel in the middle of a lake is a good way to help them do that? I enjoy seeing my bugs move and getting the messages from the people that move them not sit in a cache somewhere that no one ever visits.

I brought it here to see what the opinion was....Your right this is a rant but I just wanted to see what others thought. I think that is what the forums are for.

I found this quote of yours to be right on target. I, too, have asked a question to get the general feel of what others felt, and was somewhat blasted by some of the responders. It's unfortunate that this happens, but so goes life. Anyway, if one of those TBs was mine, I would not be all that happy to have it placed where it would be difficult to retrieve. But, as others noted, I'd find a way to get out there and free them all! :laughing: