What do you think of people who discover their own geocoins?

jerandjana

Yeah, I did some testing too and am not getting the stat. It's not supposed to, so if it is doing it it's broke.

People log their coins and bugs through caches and events and most wouldn't want a found stat when they retrieve it back out.

edit to/too

Edited by BlueDeuce

so the geocoin just happened to have the same name?? :anitongue:

You can't own (activate) and discover the same tracking #. But it's possible that two or more coins out there have the same name giving the profile an icon in the owned column and moved column. The owners never changed the names when activating them and left them with the generic name given them by the coin maker.

Edited by Droo

Things like this are funny that people wonder if its ok. Since the early 80's Ive said "if you can do it in a game, then its ok to do it"

IN this game ifyou can log, discover, find your own coins. Do it.

If you can log, find, discover your own caches ... DO IT

If the creators of the game didnt want you to be able to do somthing, they'd write a code not allowing it. And they would write a rule book.

:-Þ

I didn't even think of this as an option but we noticed some geocacher that had activated all their own coins and then discovered them all too. :laughing: Is this normal or do they just want more icons? Just wondering what other people think.

It's not as bad as people discovering their own CACHES :anitongue::laughing::laughing: which I have seen recently.

I'm sorry but if you feel the need to "find" your own caches then I really start and wonder.

Coins, it's probably for the icon. Meh.

Edited by SoCalGeocoins

If the creators of the game didnt want you to be able to do somthing, they'd write a code not allowing it. And they would write a rule book.

:-Þ

Try virtual logging your coin through caches around the world and see what happens.

I don't have to wonder if Discovering your coin is okay, it is, you just don't get anything for it.

There may have been someone who logged it to attempt to get an icon, but in my experience it's usually done for other reasons. For example there is an occasional bug where when you do an activation it doesn't show up in your drop inventory.

If someone is having a technical problem with the location of the traveler they are going to try whatever option is available. Those are the people I'd like to know about so we can get their issue fixed.

The icon hunters don't concern me in the least.

To answer the question in the post title, I don't think anything of the people in particular. It is a curious activity, though ... If you've activated the coin, then you've already got an icon.

Maybe they're trying to keep their columns balanced in some cosmic harmony?

To answer the question in the post title, I don't think anything of the people in particular. It is a curious activity, though ... If you've activated the coin, then you've already got an icon.

Maybe they're trying to keep their columns balanced in some cosmic harmony?

I agree here. Everyone plays the game their own way.

nielsenc

Edited by nielsenc

Don't quite know what the point is. You won't get an icon on the left side anyway. We adopted a coin we had found and logged and when the adoption took place, the icon moved from the left to the right. Now we have to go find another coin to get the icon back on the left side. :anitongue:

Don't quite know what the point is. You won't get an icon on the left side anyway. We adopted a coin we had found and logged and when the adoption took place, the icon moved from the left to the right. Now we have to go find another coin to get the icon back on the left side. :anitongue:

It's not as bad as people discovering their own CACHES :laughing::laughing::anitongue: which I have seen recently.

I'm sorry but if you feel the need to "find" your own caches then I really start and wonder.

Actually, a few of my caches have been a challenge to find when I've gone back to do maintenance. It's amazing how far a cache (especially a micro) can migrate from its original spot in a few months unattended.

But... I don't think that's what you meant. :laughing:

Back on topic. While I've never tried discovering one of my own coins, I often grab them back from events and don't have an icon for it except the owned one. However, I often order coins with a group, so if someone else does the same it's quite possible they'd discover each others coins when they arrive, resulting in them having basically the same icons for both owned and found.

You do know that as some of the geocachers get older they become a little forgetful. I think if they forgot where they hid their cache they deserve to log a discovery especially so if they forget it is their cache. That should be a bonus.

I'll have to defer to the man from Olathe. Olathe owns GPS.