Hiking Staffs

Hey just wonderin about hikeing staffs. I alway used a stick I find along the way but was wonderin if any of

you guys use "real" staffs. I was lookin at the Cabela's "Trekker Hiking Staff ". Has anyone used this staff and if so what are your impressions?

thanks thumbs1

I've found that more and more I'm bringing my old "well drilling" rod.

( a 5' piece of VERY old oak, turned until it's a staff. Anyone else old enough to remember wooden well rods ? 20' lengths of 3" six or eight-sided tapered [on ends] wood.)

Looks pretty-much like a 1" dowel, with a Netcraft foam grip from a surf rod and a crutch tip.

Don't care much for the noise associated with the new "spring-loaded" trekking poles.

I have a trek pole that's never been collapsed (always extended), so why not just get a hiking staff ?

STILL don't understand the need for two. Hiking USED to be simple. Now you've got to think of each rod placement, instead of simply walkin'.

With possibilities of an animal encounter (two-legged and otherwise), I feel a lot more secure with my stout stick. - Just thoughts.

Cache safe.

I have a Leki hiking stick that is collapsible, and has the shock absorbing feature. It also functions as a monopod for my camera for self-portraits, or group pictures.

It is invaluable for helping me get up steep hills, for stability going downhill, and for helping me balance when crossing a stream.

I found it on eBay for about half the price of retail. :(

I use Leki Makalu's, and I've purchased wooden hiking sticks from brazossticks.com as gifts. I like the lighter Leki poles and my knees like the shock absorbers. I also like being able to adjust them as needed - longer for downhill, shorter for digging in on an uphill scramble.

The Cabela's model you mention has a rubber handle. If you sweat a lot it'll get slippery. I'd suggest a model with cork or some more absorbent material there instead.

I had some black cord I got at R.E.I. I wrapped that around and around and around the handle of my hiking stick. It "customized" it and gave additional texture to the grip. :laughing: One day, after a particularly grueling bushwhack, I sat down on a rock and rewound the cord just to have something to do while I recovered . . . icon_smile_tongue.gif:anitongue:

I've found that more and more I'm bringing my old "well drilling" rod.

( a 5' piece of VERY old oak, turned until it's a staff. Anyone else old enough to remember wooden well rods ? 20' lengths of 3" six or eight-sided tapered [on ends] wood.)

Looks pretty-much like a 1" dowel, with a Netcraft foam grip from a surf rod and a crutch tip.

Don't care much for the noise associated with the new "spring-loaded" trekking poles.

I have a trek pole that's never been collapsed (always extended), so why not just get a hiking staff ?

STILL don't understand the need for two. Hiking USED to be simple. Now you've got to think of each rod placement, instead of simply walkin'.

With possibilities of an animal encounter (two-legged and otherwise), I feel a lot more secure with my stout stick. - Just thoughts.

Cache safe.

Yah... I used to be a lot younger too when hiking was THAT simple. I've learned over the years I AM a klutz. Those whom have hiked with me can attest to my unexpected body impacts with the ground. That usually happens when I'm not using both poles. I've gotten pretty good at hitting the ground, but that doesn't mean I like it. :P

Time changes how we do things. Studies have shown how precarious life really is. These days, it doesn't take much to dehydrate because we rarely make sure we're drinking enough water. Hikes are rarely as simple as they used to be because of the unknown dangers you can run into, so you have to carry things to rescue yourself before relying on the help of strangers... as if they would help. And in these latter years for me, recovery tmes take longer than when I was younger and hiking was simpler... or was that when I was more ignorant of the issues and so it seemed simpler?

I just got to Cabela's this afternoon and picked up a couple of their Trekker hiking staff's. They are one sale. Two for 29 bucks. I've been playin with em a bit and they seem pretty nice. Hope to get out in the next couple of days and check em out.

I use a pole I got at REI. It's height adjustable and has the shock absorber. I like using one pole because I almost always want one hand free for something else: camera, dog leash, etc. It gives me stability. I often shorten it to cane height and use it that way on easy paths, I can make it longer for going downhill. It's great.

Hey just wonderin about hikeing staffs. I alway used a stick I find along the way but was wonderin if any of

you guys use "real" staffs. I was lookin at the Cabela's "Trekker Hiking Staff ". Has anyone used this staff and if so what are your impressions?

thanks thumbs1

Hiking poles. Great for balance when hiking over rocks and streams, and a better workout on flat walks. Big fan of Leki.

I just went to walmart last night and it looks like they have the same staffs that Cabela's has. The graphics are a bit different but it looks like the same manufacturer. They have cork handles and are 10 bucks! Cabela's sale was for 15 each!.

I used my Cabela's staff yesterday just a bit. Nothin tough but it worked fine. Can't see puttin a bunch of money into a good staff just or what I do.

I've made a hiking stick out of a strong branch I found in the forest for geocaching. Went to the point of putting on 6 layers of varnish, putting an end-cap on it (so it doesn't splinter), and a leather strap for a wrist... strap.

Although, it's not as long as I want. What I REALLY want to do sometime is maybe order a 6 or so foot length of hickory branch, and then install a connector in the middle (exactly like what's at the center of a pool-cue that you can unscrew in half) so that I can hack it down to size for storage/putting in the car/strapping to my back.

I have several Leki's and love them. I like that you can colapse them so they don't take up as much room in the car and can be carried easy on the motorcycle. My favorite one is the Wunderfruend, which has a cane style grip and can be used as a walking cane, or extended to staff length for going down steep banks.

I have four of the Swiss Hiking Sticks/Poles not sure what you would call them. I bought two of the red ones they had at Wal-Mart and they were $10 each. Then a few months ago I went back looking for some stuff for caching and found they had 2 blue ones for $15 for the set so I picked up the extra set. I use one and my wife uses the other but we have 2 extra now for when her brother and his girlfriend go with us or if my brothers goes with us. I have not had a prob with them yet.

If you want a nice wooden stick go to eBay and search for Wilderness Walkers. They make very nice wooden hiking sticks. If I can't have an El Diablo stick then I'll take a Wilderness Walker stick. They are VERY reasonably priced, too. I have one and it is in my truck at all times. It's served me well and saved my butt a few times. I'm extrememly pleased with the purchase.

Leki. Get the highest end hiking poles you can afford. I find the angled grips particularly nice on long treks. Walking with two vs. one pole makes a huge difference (I used to walk with one hiking staff). The only thing I do is turn shock absorbing to minimal (it's easy and reliable with the new high-end Lekis). I find no/minimal shock absorbing on steep descents to handle more surely.

I still carry my stiff single hiking staff (Tracks) for evening walks through remote 'burbs - mostly as a protection against stray dogs (yes, it helped me a couple of times already).

Forgot to add that as soon as the first snow hits and stays, all "sticks" are ditched.

I picked up a snowscopic (extendable ice/snow trekking axe) two years ago and it's already saved my bacon twice on the ice.

Put a tiger claw on the end for a little extra grab.

Looking at a Stubai tour lite for CJ.

Cache safe.

Forgot to add that as soon as the first snow hits and stays, all "sticks" are ditched.

I picked up a snowscopic (extendable ice/snow trekking axe) two years ago and it's already saved my bacon twice on the ice.

Put a tiger claw on the end for a little extra grab.

Looking at a Stubai tour lite for CJ.

Cache safe.

I throw snowbaskets on mine to help them from going all the way down without some modicum of resistance.

When our Tread Through hiking group went on our first hike (April of this year) I used a stick cut along the way. When we got back I sanded it smooth and wood burned the name of the trail, the date, and a little art work. Beginning at the top and going down, I now have 3 trails and will be adding another at the end of July.

I also added an end cap (a copper pipe end from the hardware store) with a screw to prevent splintering.