Is there a better way?

tywuest

Im kinda new to all this so bare with me. I am all set up for paperless caching now. ( haven't done paperless before) I have everything working and am ready to go. My only problem is that it seems like a 10 step process to get my info all updated and ready on my palm and gps. This is my current routine.

I download all the gpx files from the web site onto an old pc in the basement.

I load the files into the swiss army knife program. into a new database

I load the files into cachemate. ( palm m100 - serial connection)

I delete my old way points from the gps. ( eTrex Vista - serial connection )

Load way points onto gps.

----

After i find a cache, i go onto the web site, and leave my log entry.

Then it starts all over again.

I delete my way points from cachemate and the gps. I delete my database from the computer. I then reload everything again.

I hope i didn't confuse everyone but i'm just wondering if there is an easier way to do this.

Thanks

Edited by tywuest

From what i follow that seems to be right. I dont know of a faster way.

Im no techie but i have wondered why it isnt easier. Why cant a person put the info straight on their GPS? It would make traveling and doing caches easier when you dont have the aid of a laptop computer.

Cachemate is separate so i dont know about that. (Unless GC created its own version of cachemate.)

Maybe there is a faster way and i can find out too!

Im kinda new to all this so bare with me. I am all set up for paperless caching now. ( haven't done paperless before) I have everything working and am ready to go. My only problem is that it seems like a 10 step process to get my info all updated and ready on my palm and gps. This is my current routine.

----

I delete my way points from cachemate and the gps. I delete my database from the computer. I then reload everything again.

I hope i didn't confuse everyone but i'm just wondering if there is an easier way to do this.

Thanks

That's only five steps ;) .

Am I understanding you correctly that you download each waypoint from the GC site individually as a gpx file? Jiminy crickets! As a premium member you can create pocket queries where you get emailed a ZIP file using certain parameters you design to download waypoints (up to 500 per PQ). GSAK will automatically open the ZIP file and you can then do your thing.

As for downloading into the GPS. You need not erase the data every time and upload everything all over again - although this shouldn't take long. I update my PDA only 2-3 times a week. But I upload new caches as they come out and as I intend to cache. That could be twice a day or once a week. And when I download the waypoints, I don't download each cache as a gpx file. I use my PQ to view all new caches then select up to 20 per page to download into EasyGPS where I can then add the hint to the caches and upload into my GPS in one shot. When I find a cache I change the icon from the treasure box to, say, an open treasure box. This way I know which caches I have found; when I'm ready to log on the site, I bring up the appropriate icon to log the caches I have found. When I 'm done logging I delete all the waypoints with the open treasure box in one motion. Using the Notifications, I delete waypoints from the GPS as they get disabled/archived. This may seem longwinded, but it works for me, and I have it down to a science.

Well, a new PC would certainly help things go faster. ;)

The nice thing about GSAK is that I just hit Ctrl-G to to export the file over to my PDA (auto-sync) and Ctrl-U to export to Mapsource (auto-open).

I do the same steps as you do, except after a find I just keep going with the same cache info in my GPS. I have about 450 waypoints loaded in my GPS, so at any time all I am missing is anything new since I last loaded up. I have email notifications for anything new, so if anything catches my eye, I print it out and enter the coords manually, or just add that one GPX to GSAK and recopy to my GPS.

This way, I only need to re-load' periodically, like every 6-weeks or so to get the most up-to-date info.

I don't load 500 waypoints into my GPS so I have some extra room to mark parking spots etc.

----

Thanks

I bookmark caches I want to do - Pocket query them - From email to GSAK and PDA - GSAK TO GPS. - Ready to GO!!!!!!!!!

Why are you deleting everything each time?

Step one: Run a PQ. You can have up to 5 PQs run each day, automatically if you want to.

Step two: Load the PQs into GSAK. You don't need to erase the existing files. GSAK will simply update the existing files.

Step three: Send the waypoints from GSAK to your GPSr. Existing waypoints will be updated and new waypoints will be added (up to the capacity of your GPSr).

Step four: Export the Cachemate file from GSAK to your palm desktop

Step five: Hotsync your palm device. Existing waypoints will be updated and new waypoints will be added.

Steps 2-5 take less than a minute, total.

What are you complaining about? Preparing for a day of caching is part of the fun! I've never actually timed it, but between receiving the Pocket Query, and loading the wpts in my PDA and GPS, I doubt it takes more than five minutes. I spend more time looking at maps and planning routes, etc. On the other hand, I don't load more caches than I plan on hunting in a day (20-25) so that might make some difference too.

The nice thing about GSAK is that I just hit Ctrl-G to to export the file over to my PDA (auto-sync) and Ctrl-U to export to Mapsource (auto-open).

I've tried this, but the PDA says it can't read the file. What do I need on my PDA to read a gpx file? I use a Zire 71

I've tried this, but the PDA says it can't read the file. What do I need on my PDA to read a gpx file? I use a Zire 71

On my iPAQ (Pocket PC) I read/open the file using GPXSonar. Let me check what PALM can use.

Checkout this site: http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/paperless.html

Edited by BlueDeuce

On my iPAQ (Pocket PC) I read/open the file using GPXSonar. Let me check what PALM can use.

Checkout this site: http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/paperless.html

OK. I already use Spinner and Plucker. Thought maybe I could skip those steps :cool: Thanks

Why are you deleting everything each time?

Personally, I delete each time to remove caches that have been archived between the time I loaded them and the new PQ. It took me three or four searches for archived caches before I thought it was a good idea.

I feel your pain there, however, if you don't delete the caches in your database, you will get more Past Logs on your PDA.

To prevent looking for Archived caches, use the "Last .gpx filter" on the "Date tab" to find all the caches that did not update with the last PQ.

I Export the last 12 logs to my Palm M500 . . . sometimes it is that 12th Past Log that gives you the little bit of a hint that helps you find that elusive cache.

Here is a rudimentary GSAK tutorial that might be helpful. :cool:

I feel your pain there, however, if you don't delete the caches in your database, you will get more Past Logs on your PDA.

To prevent looking for Archived caches, use the "Last .gpx filter" on the "Date tab" to find all the caches that did not update with the last PQ.

I Export the last 12 logs to my Palm M500 . . . sometimes it is that 12th Past Log that gives you the little bit of a hint that helps you find that elusive cache.

Here is a rudimentary GSAK tutorial that might be helpful. :cool:

Thanks for the info, but I was referring to the waypoints on the GPSr, not in the PDA.

Isn't that saving one step by putting in another step?

I personally don't see the need for 40 logs to find a cache. The only reason I look at logs at ALL is to look for the word "poison" for poison ivy, sumac or oak or to see if the majority of the most recent logs are DNFs.

Archived caches ARE excluded from PQs and the suggestion made by Miragee actually requires them to be excluded. Miragee's suggestion is to not delete the caches from GSAK, but just add everything to one big database cumulatively. Then if you want to exclude archived caches from loading to the stuff in the field, limit the database to caches where the "Last GPX Update" is equal to the most recent updated date. That way caches that weren't updated are by definition, archived.

Isn't that saving one step by putting in another step?

I personally don't see the need for 40 logs to find a cache. The only reason I look at logs at ALL is to look for the word "poison" for poison ivy, sumac or oak or to see if the majority of the most recent logs are DNFs.

I don't need 40 logs, but one time I was caching with someone who only had five logs in his Palm. I had several more Past Logs. It was one of those that gave us a tip enabling us to find that elusive waypoint for a Multi. :unsure: