Any good for a Newbie?

B1gbear

Having just done my first 11 without a GPSr I thought it was high time to get me one, so along I pop to that great auction site in the sky and came away with what I think is an ok model for now. I would be very pleased to hear from all you old veterans out there firstly what you think of my purchase and more importantly any good tips and or essential knowledge in using it, Thanks in advance. By the way is there anything else I shoulg get? The purchase was for a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS with extra leads and power leads and City navigation software European v7 - comments please BTW price = £150

You can't beat the classic eTrex yellow as a starting GPS. Does everything you want, hard to lose or damage, and as cheap as chips on eBay. Mmmm, chips... :rolleyes:

I got mine 2nd hand in 2003 for £40. Shouldn't be much more than that for a new one now, especially if you can buy in the US because of the dollar rate. No mapping issues, they don't have maps.

I use a yellow eTrex too, but I must admit I find the PC cable for it to be very handy, it saves a lot of time and sore fingers! The only thing I find difficult is not having a base map, when used in conjunction with a road atlas it's fine, but sometimes I think an onscreen map would be useful.

Edit - I've just realised I haven't actually answered the question - b1gbear wanted to know whether his/her GPSMAP 60C was a good purchase. I'm sorry, I haven't a clue! Never used / seen one. :rolleyes:

Edited by ryme-intrinseca

Put in on a lanyard.

Get a case for it or at least a screen protector.

Get at least 2 sets of high powered rechargable batteries and a good charger.

There's little you need to know about using it that you won't find out quickly in the field or by reading existing threads, so get out caching! :rolleyes:

I have the 60CS, and I find the mapping invaluable. Especially when I did the Hearts Card series up here in north Wales which follows a pyramid scheme and you work up through the cards. The locations are so remote (though all close to roads) that I think just doing it by 'Head that way' would have been near on impossible because of the topography of north Wales.

I think you've got yourself a bargain. The other advice already offered, hi-powered rechargeable batteries make a difference. I originally had 1700 milliamp NiMH rechargeable batteries and I bought some from eBay that were 2600 milliamp. They last much longer. eBay, I've found, is the cheapest place for rechargeable batteries. Argos does sell them, but not quite as powerful and nearly 3 times the price! :laughing:

I also found the 'stick it to your windscreen' sucky thing useful and connecting up to your ciggerate lighter to keep the juice going. Helps the battery power that you've spent such a long time charging up!

We started off with a Mio 550 (Mio 350 is the same but somewhat cheaper and without bluetooth or wifi, and that's what ladysolly uses now, £149).

Big advantage - you can put Memory Map on it (rather expensive software), so you have a scrolling, zoomable OS map with a big red "You are here" blob, plus the "Cache is that way" arrow. And you can keep your database of caches on it using cachemate. And you can also have TomTom on it (more expensive software), so you have a car satnav to guide you from cache to cache.

Is uses the SIrfS iii chipset, which (I think) gives better satellite locking than the Etrex (so it works better in tree cover, I think).

But you can start off with just the Mio, and add the software later if you want.

I didn't know all this when I bought it, I just instinctively (old programmer's instinct) went for the non-proprietory solution; the Mio runs Pocket Windows, so can run any Pocket Windows program, whereas the Etrex only runs software from the Etrex vendor. 40 years ago, we would call that a "lock-in", and would have avoided it like the plague.

But a lot of people love the yellow Etrex.

Why all the comments about other GPS solutions?

The guy has told us he has bought a 60CS with all the accessories. He is asking for hints on using it.

PS B1gbear you have one of the best GPSRs on the market. Highly recommended by "veteran" cachers.

Thanks for actually reading my original post and posting your reply, as you can see I am a newbie here and dont really want to get off on the wrong foot by getting all high and mighty! some guys did respond directly to my question so thanks to those concerned, as for the rest of the replies which seemed to be general advice about a range of hardware I'm sure that they were meant in the best of intention and at least they did offer to be of some help so thanks to you too. My original question still stands though if you have any advice specifically regarding the GPSMAP 60CS for a newbie (thats new to the hardware and to the world of GC) please post any and all tips thanks a million!!

The guy has told us he has bought a 60CS with all the accessories. He is asking for hints on using it.

PS B1gbear you have one of the best GPSRs on the market. Highly recommended by "veteran" cachers.

Thanks for your wonderful and helpful contribution to this thread, is this why you've only made 15 posts in the 4 years you've been a member? I admit I can get rather short tempered myself when posting. I suggest you post on a day when you have decided to get out of bed on the correct side.

Thanks for your wonderful and helpful contribution to this thread, is this why you've only made 15 posts in the 4 years you've been a member? I admit I can get rather short tempered myself when posting. I suggest you post on a day when you have decided to get out of bed on the correct side.

:laughing:

I thought Dr. Crippen's post was a valid observation....

Hi B1gbear, I've got GPSmap 60C, so it's basically the same as yours, but without the built in compass. I find it an excellent model. I can't comment on the software as I don't have that.

My advice would be to get GSAK, set up Pocket Queries, and learn about your GPSr in the best way possible... get out there and practice using it. :laughing:

OK back OT the 60Cs is a very nice unit

very acurate due to its external anttenie

and very sturdy

not sure if they float though LOL

there are all sorts of geocaching related goodies installed on the unit it self

its just a matter of getting out there finding a cache then going home and breaking it errr i mean working it out then having to admit defeat and getting the desructions out

good look with it and i hope it serves you well

happy caching

Great News - It has finally arrived!!! :anicute::lol::o:anicute::)

Thanks for ALL your comments and by the way I could not help but go straight out and play, and I can say just based on a quick test run it is the DOGS !!! maybe I will get around to looking at the book of instructions one day?? Thanks once again and I maybe back soon for some help you never know?