Postage is going up...

Shop99er

Although I hope what is written above is how things work, the following is from the UPSP website:

Dimension Minimum Maximum

Height 11-1/2 inches 15 inches

Length 6-1/8 inches 12 inches

Thickness 1/4 inch 3/4 inch

From what I recall of something I read regarding the rate hike, Flats can be processed on a piece of automated equipment. I wonder of the minimums are to make sure that they are compatable with that equipment.

If 000 and 00 mailers are indeed packages and not "large envelopes," I'll have to tape them into large envelopes for the cost savings.

Aside from apparently being a huge price hike, the radical changes in mail are being poorly implemented and communicated (e.g., the dichotomous interpretations on the website and given to the postmasters). It's a shame that the USPS is not accountable to anyone. (Yes, there is a board of governors, but the PO routinely ignores their reccomendations.)

Ok - I get to vent now... about the DUMBEST thing at USPS. The whole rate increase deal is because airlines ship mail by volume, not weight. USPS was getting ripped on large lightweight packages, so they adjusted rates. Anyway....

The flat rate boxes are HUGE for shipping coins, and yet once you get above 3lbs or so flat rate box is the way to go. I've had to pack the small priority boxes inside of a large flat rate box with packing peanuts before to get a better rate.

This is more expensive for the post office.... why don't they just allow flat rate to apply to the smaller priority boxes they offer? Sigh.

Here's the information I got from my postmaster yesterday...

It is a LETTER if it is:

- 11 1/2 inches in length

- 6 1/8 inches in height

- 1/4 of an inch thick

- weighs not more than 3.5 ounces

If it meets ALL that criteria AND is:

- Rigid

- Contains keys, COINS, pens etc

- Delivery address is not parallel to the longest side

- Has clasps, strings, buttons, etc.

- Aspect ratio by address orientation (what ever that means)

- Enclosed in Plstic Material

Then it is subject to a 17 cents surcharge and is considered "non machinable"

If a LETTER exceeds any ONE of the above dimentions then it is considered a LARGE ENVELOPE.

The maximum dimentions for a LARGE ENVELOPE is:

- 15 inches in length

- 12 inches in height

- 3/4 inches in thickness

- Rigid

- Not rectangluar (squares are rectanangluar)

- Not uniform in thickness (1/4 inch variation in thickness is allowed)

Then it is subject to the nonmachinable and considered a PACKAGE.

If a LARGE ENVELOPE exceeds any of the dimensions above it is considered a PACKAGE.

A PACKAGE is considered a PACKAGE if it's length plus girth combined is 108 inches or less.

:) And this comes right off the printed USPS cheat sheet that my post master has at her counter.

This looks like what I experianced the other day. They had a cheat sheet they were using. I'll try and get copy. In any case the bubble mailer needs to fit through a slot to go as they did before. They use to let them go but no more. Tightening up with all the changes.

It is a LETTER if it is:

- 6 1/8 inches in height

- 1/4 of an inch thick

- Rigid

If a LETTER exceeds any ONE of the above dimentions then it is considered a LARGE ENVELOPE.

- 15 inches in length

- 12 inches in height

- Rigid

If a LARGE ENVELOPE exceeds any of the dimensions above it is considered a PACKAGE.

A PACKAGE is considered a PACKAGE if it's length plus girth combined is 108 inches or less.

:) And this comes right off the printed USPS cheat sheet that my post master has at her counter.

This looks like what I experianced the other day. They had a cheat sheet they were using. I'll try and get copy. In any case the bubble mailer needs to fit through a slot to go as they did before. They use to let them go but no more. Tightening up with all the changes.

Whoever came up with those specifications must have forgot that the general public doesn't have degrees in mathematics.

Even the guy at the post office I go to was talking about if they want them to do all these measurements they need to give them the right tools.

Nothing like coming up with changes to make the lines in the post office even slower.... :cry:

It is a LETTER if it is:

- 6 1/8 inches in height

- 1/4 of an inch thick

- Rigid

- 15 inches in length

- 12 inches in height

- Rigid

Whoever came up with those specifications must have forgot that the general public doesn't have degrees in mathematics.

Even the guy at the post office I go to was talking about if they want them to do all these measurements they need to give them the right tools.

Nothing like coming up with changes to make the lines in the post office even slower.... :cry:

I don't mind the rate increase if it means a positive change. But the major turn off in this whole incident is the lack of training for their own staff.

I mailed some of my packages as large envelop today.. I even put labels on the packages that indicate them to be "large envelopes". I'll see if they come back to me in a week....

I mailed off 2 6X10 poly envelopes today at the local PO since I wasn't sure what they would consider them.

One went to Canada, and I was told it didn't matter on international, but the other one was in the states and I was told it was considered a first class package, 5 oz cost me $1.81 in the US and 5oz to canada $1.93

Just had my first experience with the new rules at the PO.

I had to explain the rules to the clerk as they were told all flats had to meet all the minimums or it was a package.

Final was able to show them the small print were It stated you only needed to exceed one of the minimum and you were considered a flat until you exceded all maxmimums.

But there is another consideration. If they feel it is ridged as was my package with 8 coins was, it is charged the package rate.

This should be fun Thursday when I send out my new coin.

Of course under the new rates my 11oz first class package cost 2.83 where it would have cost 2.79 so for larger packages we are reall not paying more.

Team Sand Dollar

Edited by Team Sand Dollar

Can someone help with with the new international postal rates? I'm trying to figure out if IPA is cheaper than first-class for the larger packages but I don't understand the IPA chart. Do we pay a per piece rate of what is in the package plus the IPA rate??

For those that have had the pleasure of shipping international with the new rates, are you shipping with fist-class rates?

Thanks....Anthus

Some more news... international looks like its gonna change in some big ways.

Priority flat only lists large envelopes at $11. It appears that small envelopes (a very common shipping method) is going away. That said, flat rate BOXES are coming! But they are $37!

For the 6oz+ packages, first class appears to be the only real option, and that can run about 2x the previous small envelope rate.

So international folks are about to get shafted. Unless small envelopes are still going to be here, but just weren't listed.

Edit: Yup - small international envelopes are vanishing. From USPS: Regarding the small flat-rate envelope

for Global Priority Mail, as part of our product simplification and to more closely align domestic and international products, we will offer only one flat-rate envelope for Priority Mail International, using the same packaging as domestic Priority Mail. All items previously mailable in the Global Priority flat-rate envelope can be mailed in the new Priority Mail International flat-rate envelope.

Here's a good presentation on the rate change: http://www.mailing.duq.edu/mailing/USPSRateIncrease.ppt

Not that the shock of postage charges is anything new to we "foreigners", this is going too far. ;)

I can see a nice little earner for someone in the US:

Offer to collect overseas orders for geocoins from all US suppliers until you have enough to fill the $11 envelope or $37 box and then send them on their way.

For a small fee of course ;)

Funny you say that... I'm actually looking for someone to do exactly that!! I've had an offer from someone, but not mention of any fees or anything yet.

My post lady said padded envelopes all go at the package rate, since they are thicker than 1/4, and don't meet the guidelines for large envelope (ie not big enough).

It is a LETTER if it is:

- 6 1/8 inches in height

- 1/4 of an inch thick

- Rigid

I was told that the international rules that all countries Postal Organisations are meant to be adhering to is that LETTER RATE is only for letters, and nothing else. In other words it is only meant to be acceptable at the rate IF it is an actual letter (and is not more than 10mm thick). I find it very interesting that USPS does not seem to think it has to adhere to this. I wish New Zealand Post would show the same flexibility.

Or am I just being fed a big pile of BS by my local Post Office? Anyone know?

Edited by keewee01

Yesterday I went to the US Post Office here and mailed a #0 bubble envelope with 1 geocoin in it to another address here in the US. Total weight was 2.00oz. Total cost was $0.97. It was classified as a Large Envelope.

I asked how delivery confirmation would work with a Large Envelope. They didn't think it could be done, but when they checked the computer it listed delivery confirmation as an option. The post office person thought it was weird because they said that would mean the envelope would have to be exactly 0.75-inches thick -- the maximum for Large Envelope and the minimum for delivery confirmation.

It appears the brainiacs who created this new classification system didn't bother to actually exercise it before "making it so". Go figure.

Not sure if something similar to this has been posted yet, but it's got me stumped!

Went today and mailed 3 coins, to 3 seperate people. 2 were to Canada, one to the U.S. All 3 were packaged the same, all 3 weighed the same. The 2 Canada ones were 30cents cheaper (each) than the U.S. one. What is up with that???

Edited by The Herd

I’m not surprised that there is so much confusion about international postage costs in the US!

Here is a list of what I have received in Australia from the US recently (all posted since rates changed) giving the number of coins in the package and the postage on the label:

5 for $8.85

4 for $5.40

1 for $1.80

5 for $7.20

3 for $3.60

5 for $6.30

And, wait for it, ONE coin sent with postage $11.00. :sunsure:

If there is a pattern there, I can’t see it. :D

Went today and mailed 3 coins, to 3 seperate people. 2 were to Canada, one to the U.S. All 3 were packaged the same, all 3 weighed the same. The 2 Canada ones were 30cents cheaper (each) than the U.S. one. What is up with that???

Yup - there is a crossover point for Canada where some packages are cheap to mail to Canada than across town. Crazy!

Does someone have the info from the postal service website where it says that large envelopes only have to exceed one requirement? I argued with the three employees at the post office I went to today, and all insisted that our mailer (equivalent to the 0 bubble mailer) had to be a package. This really messed with our coin prices...

Does someone have the info from the postal service website where it says that large envelopes only have to exceed one requirement? I argued with the three employees at the post office I went to today, and all insisted that our mailer (equivalent to the 0 bubble mailer) had to be a package. This really messed with our coin prices...

Greets, I just got this from the P/O today, Did a quick scan, this page referances the most common mailers used for Geocoins so just scanned this page, hope it helps,

postoffice.jpg

Well, I just had an eye-opening experience at Fairbanks post office which may or may not add to the confusion...

All coin packages were #000 mailers.

UK, 1.9 oz, $1.80 and Australia, 0.90 oz, $1.07, set First Class International. So far so good...not too much of a jump from what would have been $1.70 and $0.84 previously sent Air Letter Post.

Domestic (US), the mailers were classified as packages since they were greater 1/4" thick and had to be sent first class parcel post:

1.2 oz. - $1.30 (old rate-$0.63)

2.6 oz.- $1.47 (old rate-$0.87)

3.4 oz. - $1.64 (old rate-$1.11)

I'll keep our shipping and handing rates the same $1.50 for GeocacheAlaska! produced coins until the 2007 Alaska full-size coin comes out and then we'll have to bump the rates or incorporate more of the shipping cost in the cost of the coins.

Not sure how much people are paying for postage these days but I tough I would update you on some training I received today:

a bit a history first, I have been paying about $1.30 to ship most of my single coins sales or trades. Because someone convinced all the other counter people that a bubble mailer was a package. that being said read below.

The bubble mailers I use with 1 coin are more than a 1/4 thick. The bubble mailer should then be considered a flat or large envelope. Wth 1 or 2 coins at opposite coners of the mailer it is not considered rigid. See pictures.

101_FlexTest_01_t.jpg

101_FlexTest_03_t.jpg

The other big test is uniform thickness. Which is defined as, "Flat-size mailpieces must be uniformly thick so that any bumps, protrusions, or other irregularities do not cause more than 1/4-inch variance in thickness."

The pricing for flat is:

1 0.80

2 0.97

3 1.14

4 1.31

5 1.48

6 1.65

7 1.82

8 1.99

9 2.16

10 2.33

11 2.50

12 2.67

13 2.84

Passed 13 ounces would be parcel.

This page is very helpful USPS DMM101

In the last month I have found two things:

(1) the postage price is inconsistent between mail clerks. Some charge $0.54 some charge $1.30 for the exact same package and coin being mailed :P

(2) it's now cheaper to ship to Canada $0.91 than it is to somewhere else in America $1.30 :P

I have seen #2 since the price change. Even today, shipped a coin to Canada for $1.00 and Colorado Springs (90 miles) for $.97 and to Germany for $1.85. only reason I got the $.97 was the postage lesson I provided today.

Both my local Post Offices treat me the same - like a criminal! :P

If it's not a nice flat letter with nice even weight and total flexibility then its a parcel :P

So instead of paying a flat $2 to post anywhere in the world, the cost starts at $7.00 for one coin... maybe two if they're both light. And then sky rockets upwards from there! Money hungry so-and-so's! (They claim it is International Postal Union rules that dictate it is parcel and not a letter)

$@#&$!!!

Both my local Post Offices treat me the same - like a criminal! :P

If it's not a nice flat letter with nice even weight and total flexibility then its a parcel :P

So instead of paying a flat $2 to post anywhere in the world, the cost starts at $7.00 for one coin... maybe two if they're both light. And then sky rockets upwards from there! Money hungry so-and-so's! (They claim it is International Postal Union rules that dictate it is parcel and not a letter)

$@#&$!!!

Check to see if you can figure out US postage and then mail them bulk to me or another here in the forums and then we can resend here in US, might be less expensive in the long run.

Course I could always come visit and bring back everything as "LUGGAGE" :)

I had to share my experience from last night. I got off work late, again and had to hit the post office at the airport that is open until 8. The 3 clerks that work there have all been with the post office for over 15-20 years.

I place my 7-000 white padded envelopes on the counter, each with only 1 coin in them, and told her I needed First Class with delivery Confirmation. I asked her what the difference was between large envelope and parcel. That's where the nightmare began.

She then went on to explain to me that these bubble mailers are not flexible, but rigid. So I picked up one and bent it in half and asked how it was not flexible. Then she explained to me that bubble mailers are the exception. Since they were bubble mailers, it is assumed that they are protecting something and should not be bent. I tried to explain why I used the bubble mailers for their strength and that it was not for the fragility of the product. So strike one.

She then informed me that she could not do delivery confirmation because the package has to be over 3/4" thick. As this point I was starting to fume. I had just been at the same post office on Friday and shipped with the clerk next to her and knew I could do it. She flipped her screen around and pointed out where it said it had to 3/4". I then pointed to the part of the screen that said "OR" . She goes, "Well see. Even someone as old as me learns something new now and then." So I calm down a little and move.

She then hands me a stack of Delivery Confirmation sheets and asks to to step to the side and fill them out. Now I have been shipping with Delivery Confirmation for months. At all 3 post offices I go to, I just make a not of the persons name on the green form and they do the rest. Not this time. She wants them completely filled out. She then tells me how they must follow all rules and regulations to the letter and that anyone that is not doing as she is having me do is not following postal service rules. Well I look over at the guy standing next to her that I had worked with last Friday and all I see is him trying to act like he isn't hearing all of this. Yeah he was the guy last Friday that just ran everything through in 5 minutes and I was out of there. So 10 minutes later I am finished filling out the forms and then I have to wait 5 more minutes because she has taken another customer who has a long transaction.

Feeling that I have nothing to lose at this point, I tell her I admire her for following the rules and regulations. And that I understand she has to do what she does according to the guidlines set forth. So I asked if she could show me the guideline, since she had pulled out numerous regs and specification sheets through all of this, that said to treat bubble mailers as rigid. Of course she couldn't and I was told that was a regulation that had been orally communicated to them.

In the end, I spent 35 minutes instead of 5 in the post office. I did not end up paying anymore money then usual. But I do know that that post office will be my last option from here on out.

And if you are curious, 1 coin with delivery confirmation $2.20.

Just wanted to share.

RSFish1