LOOK for Free GPS

deafnut

i would like to play geoaching but i can't beecause of no GPS and i want to have one on my hand :huh::smile:

I guess a moose ate it..

Here's what you do, get a job, get some pay and then buy a GPS. That's what I have to do. I started working for cash when I was 12.

Hummer

i would like to play geoaching but i can't beecause of no GPS and i want to have one on my hand :(:huh:

I guess a moose ate it..

Here's what you do, get a job, get some pay and then buy a GPS. That's what I have to do. I started working for cash when I was 12.

Hummer

Oh, as well as that go to school to learn some English. :smile:

Hang in there. I lost my Etrex Legend in November. I looked all over the place for days and could not find it anywhere. I decided to stop looking and maybe it would show up later. Well, Here comes March and still no GPS. I got a bonus from my company and decided to replace it with a Vista Cx. 2 weeks after the Vista arrived the Legend showed up between the front seats of my truck. :P

Ok, lets catch new people up before this turns into another thread where people accuse deafhunt of being a troll, sock puppet, or having poor written expression skills.

Deafhunt is a real geocacher from Alaska. He is really deaf. Our difficulty in understanding his posts is due to the fact that we do not interact regularly with deaf people. The consensus is that he is typing using grammatacal structures from American Sign Language, his first language. English can be seen as his second language.

That all said, deafhunt, please learn from your first interactions on these forums. You have apologized for asking for free geocoins in a number of different threads. In our capitalist country, it is not generally well received to ask for hand-outs. Especially when you seem to place so little value on what you have.

You said that you can't remember what happened to your GPSr. It may even be in your house. It is hard to accept that you have taken good care of your GPSr if there are so many different places you could have left it. It comes across that you didn't bother trying very hard to look for it. I know that I don't want to spend money I worked to earn to buy you a GPSr because I think you won't care for it.

If you work to earn money to buy a new GPSr, it may remind you to keep closer tabs on it next time. If someone gives you a new unit for free (especially an expensive piece of technology), it will likely be worth what you paid for it in your eyes - nothing. I doubt you will have learned a very valuable and expensive lesson to take care of your stuff.

Like Knight said, print some maps and get out to find caches. I found my first couple dozen caches using hand made drawings I made while looking at arial views from Google Maps. I would sketch out some land marks and draw an arrow with about how far I thought the cache would be from there. I did this because I didn't have enough money for a GPSr.

If you are able, get a job. If you receive benefits and are not allowed to work, learn to save a little each time you are paid (receive benefits). It may take a long time to save enough for a new GPSr, but it will mean a whole heck of a lot more when you get it.

Ok, lets catch new people up before this turns into another thread where people accuse deafhunt of being a troll, sock puppet, or having poor written expression skills.

Deafhunt is a real geocacher from Alaska. He is really deaf. Our difficulty in understanding his posts is due to the fact that we do not interact regularly with deaf people. The consensus is that he is typing using grammatacal structures from American Sign Language, his first language. English can be seen as his second language.

That all said, deafhunt, please learn from your first interactions on these forums. You have apologized for asking for free geocoins in a number of different threads. In our capitalist country, it is not generally well received to ask for hand-outs. Especially when you seem to place so little value on what you have.

You said that you can't remember what happened to your GPSr. It may even be in your house. It is hard to accept that you have taken good care of your GPSr if there are so many different places you could have left it. It comes across that you didn't bother trying very hard to look for it. I know that I don't want to spend money I worked to earn to buy you a GPSr because I think you won't care for it.

If you work to earn money to buy a new GPSr, it may remind you to keep closer tabs on it next time. If someone gives you a new unit for free (especially an expensive piece of technology), it will likely be worth what you paid for it in your eyes - nothing. I doubt you will have learned a very valuable and expensive lesson to take care of your stuff.

Like Knight said, print some maps and get out to find caches. I found my first couple dozen caches using hand made drawings I made while looking at arial views from Google Maps. I would sketch out some land marks and draw an arrow with about how far I thought the cache would be from there. I did this because I didn't have enough money for a GPSr.

If you are able, get a job. If you receive benefits and are not allowed to work, learn to save a little each time you are paid (receive benefits). It may take a long time to save enough for a new GPSr, but it will mean a whole heck of a lot more when you get it.

Being disabled with deafness in not a way to pray on charity. Nor is it a reason not to spell correctly. If this is his only disability neither does is prevent him from earning some money. Geocaching is not a cheap sport, one need to be able to travel, usually by car, to the Cache locations.

If he a a young kid, then someone who is local to him should help him out, but asking for a free GPSr is the same as the guy who asks for cash at the local intersection.

Prove who he is and that he is in genuine need of help and I'll be the first to put a couple of bucks aside in a paypal account.

HummerH1

Well folks all I have to say is PAY IT FORWARD. I was in need of a different map disc for my GPS and placed a wanted add on this forum thinking that it did not hurt to ask. With in a short time period a gentleman sent me a message stating that he would just give me the $100.00 program that I was in need of. Within a couple days I had the program in hand. That very same day I read an email from a man who was wanting to purchase the map program that I no longer needed (was for a model of gps that I sold). Begin worth about $60.00 I PAID IT FORWARD, a concept that I learned by watching the movie (Pay It Forward). Both me and the gentleman I sent the disc to were extremely happy and he too said that he would Pay It Forward.

I understand your reluctance to help out Deafhunt. In my current assignment I am assigned to a large middle school. In that middle school I have the PLEASURE of dealing with students who are special needs kids. I often stop by these classrooms to say hi, and hang out for awhile. There is a special needs student who stops by my office everyday to just say hi, and check out my talking cookie jar. My face lights up, and my perspective on life changes everyday he does. In being around these students I hear their voices in the way the Deafhunt writes in this thread.

Deafhunt: I wish I was able to help you at this time, however I cannot. I see that you are asking the Lord for some help. My kids and I can offer you a prayer tonight, that he might answer yours. Good Luck.

Let us all be thankful for ours, and our childrens health.

The Miller Family

Closing thread at the OP's request.

I like his proposed solution; I like it a lot.

I was not nearly as happy with the off-topic comments. It's always amusing when posts critical of spelling or grammar contain multiple mistakes of a similar nature. :rolleyes: