why not descriptive logs?

aztoma

I am new to geocaching and have a question. I have enjoyed learning about geocaching and having the adventure of finding caches. But I am a little disappointed on how the caches are logged. 90% of the logs (online, not the actual little books at the cache) are a non descriptive basic "found cache". How come people don't go into a little more interesting detail? I would love to hear a little more about the adventures, weather, scenery or whatever sparks an interest to write about. This especially goes for TB's - I would suspect if someone is tracking their bug they would want to know a little detail about the places their bug has traveled, not just "picked up" or "dropped off". I realize some people do so many caches they don't want to note them all, but a good write about a cache or TB is always a welcome smile. Is there a reason there is not much creative writting for caches and TB's? Does anyone have a favorite cache or TB write up that they especially enjoyed reading? just curious, but enjoy geocaching either way :)

I am new to geocaching and have a question. I have enjoyed learning about geocaching and having the adventure of finding caches. But I am a little disappointed on how the caches are logged. 90% of the logs (online, not the actual little books at the cache) are a non descriptive basic "found cache". How come people don't go into a little more interesting detail? I would love to hear a little more about the adventures, weather, scenery or whatever sparks an interest to write about. This especially goes for TB's - I would suspect if someone is tracking their bug they would want to know a little detail about the places their bug has traveled, not just "picked up" or "dropped off". I realize some people do so many caches they don't want to note them all, but a good write about a cache or TB is always a welcome smile. Is there a reason there is not much creative writting for caches and TB's? Does anyone have a favorite cache or TB write up that they especially enjoyed reading? just curious, but enjoy geocaching either way :)

You will run into the good log every once in awhile, but since many of the finds are just 'alright' you may only see a simple log. I have posted some long logs when it's either an interesting find, or I just had an interesting story to tell about my attempt at the cache.

v/r

O-Mega

I try to log at least something about each cache I go to. When I started, all my logs were of the TNLNTFTC because I simply didn't know any better. These days, TNLN implies your cache was lame :)

Sometimes, especially when you do several caches in a row, it's hard to remember which cache was which. They run together in your mind. I'd take notes, but in the winter it's hard enough holding the pen long enough to sign the logbook, little alone take personal notes.

I would suspect that most of the short loggers are people who don't also hide caches. That's just a guess, but I expect it's true. When you have a cache of your own (I presume, I don't have any yet) I suspect you realize the worth of longer logs, and therefore make them yourself.

Many of my logs have good stories. Just check my profile and read some.

The last cache I did I had a chipped bone in my ankle and walked 9 miles in the snow with out knowing it. The cache was kind of a momento by a cacher that had fallen off a cliff and broke his back and came back after more than a year and placed that cache.

This cache has many good stories: Bloated Festering Head

I am a little disappointed on how the caches are logged.

Aztoma, I totally agree. The person who got me involved in caching always had something to say in each and every log, and I've come to appreciate this. Being the owner of 10 caches it's more than just a little dissappointing when you spend a considerable amount of time finding a hiding place and camoing a cache just to receive a "TNLNSL." Geocaching should be about location. If you've got nothing to say maybe you should stop and smell the roses more often.

Edited by cache-n-dash

Some people leave the TNLNSL logs because they just found 100 LPCs and they want to finish logging before the next millenium. :) In other words, if someone has a backlog of cache entries, they MAY keep their online logs short. Others leave that type of log because they don't have anything good to say about the cache. Still others just don't like writing so they keep their logs short and simple.

I'm sure there are other reasons for short logs, but there are three off the top of my (bald) head.

Some caches just don't warrant much more than a "Found it". How much can one write about the 30th cache he found in a lamp post in a mall parking lot? Also, if people think a cache is a stinker many are loath to say so in the log, but will avoid false praise and just leave a brief entry.

Good caches usually generate longer, more descriptive logs. I can usuall tell the quality of a cache just by looking at the length of the logs. I don't even have to read them.

If you see page after page of logs with multiple paragraphs, you can be pretty sure the cache is a good one. If it's page after page of little more than "Found it, thanks" and TNLNSL, your can be pretty sure its a stinker.

As a cache owner, if you're not seeing more descriptive logs, try hiding a better cache next time.

Edited by briansnat

Many cachers are not creative writers. Luckily, you don't have to submit a writing sample to become a member of GC.com.

That is what was going to say.

Some cachers don't have the gift of gab with which others of us have so abundantly over blessed. :) There is local cacher that never posts anything more than TNLNSL TFTC. And that's when he's in a talkative mood. I've met him in person and he does ever talk much. That's just the way he is. We have cachers from all walks of life, with all the ranges of talent in writing. Some will write an epic for each cache, some will only TFTC a cache.

Also some caches and caching experiences inspire me to be more verbose than others. Depending on my mood and how much of an adventure I had, I may write an epic of just TNLNSLTFTH.

I largely tend to hunt only caches which interest me, and I do not hunt many caches, perhaps a few per month at most. Partly as a result of these factors, and also because I love telling stories, I tend to leave rather long online cache find logs (or DNF logs) into which I put a lot of tender loving care (TLC), while my wife Sue (who is responsible for a far greater percentage of the finds on our account) tends to leave relatively short and generic online log entries.

For the caches which I own, I do vastly prefer to see rather long and descriptive log entries, and, as the creator/owner of the Psycho Urban Cache series, I must admit that I am rather hopelessly spoiled, as the vast majority of the online log entries for the caches in our Psycho Urban Cache series tend to lean toward the long side, with plenty of interesting detail and tidbits. You are welcome to take a look at some of the cache listing pages for these caches to see what I mean.

BTW, as a postscript:

My find log for Quantum Leap in Texas spanned seven separate entries, and my find log for Devil's Hole in NJ spanned several log entries as well. Some find logs, and even some of the DNF logs, for some of the caches in my Psycho Urban Cache series have also spanned multiple log entries.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Some caches just don't warrant much more than a "Found it". How much can one write about the 30th cache he found in a lamp post in a mall parking lot? Also, if people think a cache is a stinker many are loath to say so in the log, but will avoid false praise and just leave a brief entry.

It's my belief that the biggest insult to a cache hider is a found it log like "TNLNSL," when you took the time to hide a great cache in a great location.

Good caches usually generate longer, more descriptive logs. I can usuall tell the quality of a cache just by looking at the length of the logs. I don't even have to read them.

If you see page after page of logs with multiple paragraphs, you can be pretty sure the cache is a good one. If it's page after page of little more than "Found it, thanks" and TNLNSL, your can be pretty sure its a stinker.

If only I could figure out a way to use GSAK to narrow down my PQs to caches with extra long found it logs.

This is the only cache where my log exceeded the maximum characters, forcing me to write "part 1," and "part 2." GCG2V8 This cache also has four online logs, with a gallery of 55 pictures.

As a cache owner, if you're not seeing more descriptive logs, try hiding a better cache next time.

Edited by Kit Fox

Some people even that much is wordy.

Some people can't remember anything about the cache when they finally get around to logging it.

Some people are making a statement about how bad the cache is.

Some people would love to say more but just don't have the gift.

Some people just log to get the smilie.

Some people post inane drivel with good intentions that make your eyes glaze over while reading it.

Some people are mean spirited in their logs.

Some people log like they are gods gift to caching.

Some people log things that have nothing to do with the cache.

Some people don't bother logging at all.

Some people do log as you would like. Enjoy those logs.

It takes all kinds to fill the world, so just remember to:

enjoy that people are finding your cache..

Edited by Renegade Knight

I try to keep the logs I leave on the online cache logs somewhat varied, or silly, or different.

Most of my cache finding is done at night on my Roubaix road bike so it's a great adventure - and half the fun is the thrill when I find the container after a good search - always wondering what kind of container it will be.

I suppose some folks - especially people who go for 80+ or so in a single day move from cache to cache so quick that they don't remember all the details to talk about. This is why I love to go at my own pace on my road bike - so I can take in the trip to each cache and all the little things I see around me.

When I start making my own caches I plan on making them extremely camo'd (Although I'm a Sociology major I have a profound interest in history - specifically, World War II) - I plan on doing a good bit of research on camo styling techniques and then hand painting/crafting the containers and canisters. I don't know if cachers in my area will love me or hate me for that though - but it would be something to talk about in the log if nothing else. <_<

...When I start making my own caches I plan on making them extremely camo'd (Although I'm a Sociology major I have a profound interest in history - specifically, World War II) - I plan on doing a good bit of research on camo styling techniques and then hand painting/crafting the containers and canisters. I don't know if cachers in my area will love me or hate me for that though - but it would be something to talk about in the log if nothing else. <_<

Sociology and history are related. That aside if you did a series of caches that explained the camo methods you are using it would be an interesting series that highlights an interesting aspect of WW II.

Let me apologise in advance to anyone I may offend, because I know I'm about to stretch the point to make a point. I will say, though, that the length of my logs is invariably proportional to the enjoyment, or the adventure, that was associated with the hunt for a cache, In many cases, that's pretty much the same thing and may well parallel the effort expended by the hider.

So, when someone puts a great deal of effort into hiding a cache, I consider it rude of me not to put my time and effort into providing feedback on the experience. They may not always be totally serious, they may be in different styles, and it may not be a requirement, but it's my way of expressing appreciation as well as telling a story. I've been told some of my logs are long, but then I've been to some pretty amazing caches too.

In terms of the other end of the extreme. Perhaps I should write logs like the one below, but on the few occasions when I visit such caches it somehow just doesn't happen. I wonder why?

Forgive me father, for I am about to sin / offend.

It was a perfectly normal and ordinary day. We got in the car and drove along the rather plain and boring highway. Within minutes, we came to the easy-on, easy-off exit for the mall. At the mall we took a bearing and headed for the corner guard rail.

We parked, got out of the car, and walked the remaining three feet to the rail. At the rail, we took a deep breath, and reached behind to retrieve the cache. The cache was exactly where we expected it to be. Clearly, we were about to have an incredible experience.

Eagerly, with panting breath and growing anticipation we opened the cache! Inside, we found an absolutely amazing piece of soggy paper wrapped up in an awe-inspiring plastic bag. With gusto and much aplomb, we signed the log. This was similar find 21,317 and truly a momentous occasion.

Back home we reminisced about our experience for the day. At no point did we get lost, see any wild animals or, in fact, anything unusual or interesting at all. Our whole day went perfectly to plan. In fact, we didn't even break a pencil.

A bit harsh, that.

If I don't have anything nice to say about a cache, some times I say little. Sometimes I will say exctly what I think about the cache. The difference is that I'm not apologetic about it! Yes, I even mamaged to hurt the feelings of a cache hider who compared me to his ex-wife. But I don't really expect the cache in the state park to have only a view of the parking lot of the warehouse next door. Wow!

Lenth of log can be an indication of how nice the cache is, but there will always be people who will log SNTNLN even after the two-mile hike.

Yes, I even managed to hurt the feelings of a cache hider who compared me to his ex-wife. But I don't really expect the cache in the state park to have only a view of the parking lot of the warehouse next door. Wow!

Maybe the point of the cache was to get you to visit and enjoy the park. <_<

There are several fine caches in that park with exquisite views! The hider had his purpose in hiding this cache. The view was not one of them. Here, for instance, is the view from a nearby (now archived) cache. Nearby view. Instead, we got the view of a parking lot at a warehouse. Oh, I've found worse caches. But, if this is the best you can do, why bother?

Yes, I even managed to hurt the feelings of a cache hider who compared me to his ex-wife. But I don't really expect the cache in the state park to have only a view of the parking lot of the warehouse next door. Wow!
There are several fine caches in that park with exquisite views! The hider had his purpose in hiding this cache. The view was not one of them. Here, for instance, is the view from a nearby (now archived) cache. Nearby view. Instead, we got the view of a parking lot at a warehouse. Oh, I've found worse caches. But, if this is the best you can do, why bother?
The cache brought you to a nice park and you didn't like it because it only took you as far as the parking lot? You could have taken it a step further and enjoyed the park. No one forced you to stop when you signed the log.
The cache brought you to a nice park and you didn't like it because it only took you as far as the parking lot? You could have taken it a step further and enjoyed the park. No one forced you to stop when you signed the log.

It's a 1100 acre park, much of it has spectacular views. (Well, if you ignore the 800 acres of hazardous environmental area.) I have enjoyed this park many time. No. The cache was not in the parking lot. The cache took us away from the nice views to a view of the neighboring parking lot of a warehouse. It might as well have been hidden in the outhouse. The point is: This is the best the hider could do? Maybe he should have spent more than fifteen minutes hiding the cache? Find parking lot. Hike to the neighboring warehousing area. Wow! I am not impressed. Other hiders have taken the time to find nice places to hide a cache. This hider didn't bother.

It's a 1100 acre park, much of it has spectacular views. (Well, if you ignore the 800 acres of hazardous environmental area.) I have enjoyed this park many time. No. The cache was not in the parking lot. The cache took us away from the nice views to a view of the neighboring parking lot of a warehouse. It might as well have been hidden in the outhouse. The point is: This is the best the hider could do? Maybe he should have spent more than fifteen minutes hiding the cache? Find parking lot. Hike to the neighboring warehousing area. Wow! I am not impressed. Other hiders have taken the time to find nice places to hide a cache. This hider didn't bother.
I'm reminded of some caches that I've found and wondered why I was brought to the spot. Sometimes it turned out that there was a bit of history there that I missed or there was a back story about the location that I didn't find out about until later. Either way, if I am not in love with one cache, there will soon be another that can sweep me.

It depends a lot on the "experience" I had going to the cache or the fun of the cache or my mood at the time I write the log or the weather or whatever. I try to make each one a bit unique and tell my story when there is one but honestly I don't always have that much to say about some of the caches I visit. As an owner, I LOVE to read logs - so I do try and be verbose and interesting.

Mainly because I have nothing to say beyond "Found It" for the vast majority of my finds.

That's not a comment on the cache.

Same here.

Myself, for those that I have nothing to say, I don't log at all unless it is a FTF or I need to log a TB.

I am at a loss to predict what people will take offence at, so i have learned to keep my logs short and only log when I have a really cool experience or one I wish to save for "posterity."

i enjoy all caches to one extent or another. If you place it and i hunt it, thanks.

Some people even that much is wordy.

Some people can't remember anything about the cache when they finally get around to logging it.

Some people are making a statement about how bad the cache is.

Some people would love to say more but just don't have the gift.

Some people just log to get the smilie.

Some people post inane drivel with good intentions that make your eyes glaze over while reading it.

Some people are mean spirited in their logs.

Some people log like they are gods gift to caching.

Some people log things that have nothing to do with the cache.

Some people don't bother logging at all.

Some people do log as you would like. Enjoy those logs.

It takes all kinds to fill the world, so just remember to:

enjoy that people are finding your cache..

I think it depends on the location of a cache MORE than anything else. There are other factors, but location seems to be the major factor that makes folks want to expound on their adventure.

I don't hide a lot of caches, but several of my caches generate very verbose logs.

This cache of mine even gets great DNF logs.

Location, location, LOCATION! If people are happy just to BE there, the logs take care of themselves.

If you can't provide that, then something unusual usually works well instead. Be it a clever container, devious hide, or generous stash, something they're not gonna see at the next cache and the next on that day's outing can sometimes do the trick. In short, MAKE YOUR CACHE STAND OUT. You can't expect finders to want to go the extra mile unless you have gone there first. :laughing:

I love reading the posts of a few special people that always brighten my day. Often it's one of those things that means far more to me and the others that are mentioned in their posts than to anyone else. Some of the stories I’ve read are hilarious to say the least. Local Iowans like UNIBear, Barthonis, Windchill and Summitt Dweller are gifted writers. They are never at a loss for words and wit, ribbing each other about being FTF and STF and on and on, always making me laugh. Likewise I try to write a short story. I am sure that the owners appreciate it.

To me the Internet is like a diary and I take advantage of that. I have literally found things I’ve written but lost track of by doing a Google search for them.

I’m all for telling stories. They are a gift to the people that I believe deserve them.

-it

I try to make my logs reasonably long every time. If the cache was interesting, then the log will naturally be interesting. I would not have to embellish it. However, if the cache was boring, then the owner will get a piece of that experience, too, because it's bound to be a boring log. Let me tell you about how we sat in lethargy with the cache opened before us; we were unwilling to continue down that path, so we spent the time shewing flies and arguing with each other....

Forum posts are a different matter. Those, I like to whittle down as much as possible.

There's a website that tracks caching data of all sorts. One of the neat statistics is a comparison of how "wordy" you are in your logs, as compared to others. These stats are meaningless in and of themselves, since they only compare you to others who have entered their data onto the website, but it's still a fun toy to play with. I came in 2nd in the state of Florida with an average of 114 words per log. On those caches that are, shall we say, uninspired, I log a simple "Thanx for the cache!".

Totally agree, whilst my essay skills aren't great I always try to write a descriptive log. With all the effort that goes into creating a cache, it drives me nuts when the log you get in return is TFTC, TNLNSL. It may take a while longer but it is my way of paying respect and saying thanks to the person who put the cache out.

I will not come out and publicly shoot a cache owner down in flames but if I find a cache that has not had the effort put in, then my log will be very basic. I have found caches with no swaps an A4 page for a log and nothing else. Normally these belong to very junior cachers or serial cachers who own hundreds of caches (not all are this bad).

I just wish some people would put a bit more thought into their logs and their caches! And remember it doesn't take much to make sure the basic spelling and grammatical rules are followed when creating a cache, get a free online spell checker, and read the GC University.

It always amazes me when people apologize for being offensive before they do it. It seems like if they know that they are going to be out of line, they could take a moment to allign themselves.

Actually, I was being sarcastic, as was the entire post. The comment was made because some people in life go out of their way to be offended or take something that is clearly, clearly, in jest and turn it into a fight. I'm not commenting on if that applies to you but I'm sure everyone here knows someone to whom it does.

I try to log at least something about each cache I go to. When I started, all my logs were of the TNLNTFTC because I simply didn't know any better. These days, TNLN implies your cache was lame :laughing:

I'm the opposite. I started out writing informative logs and just petered out to TNLN TFTC. I truly hope none of the owners of the caches I've written this at were left under the impression I think their cache is lame.

I'm also VERY guilty of copy & paste. Hubby and I have a tendency to cache on any road trip, and now that we have gone paperless, we visit waayy more out of the way spots than we used to.

Depending on who writes the intro log, you might get a good story. I try to write one good general log to use as the paste, and then I add a little something personal. I would insert links to illustrtate but I'm just not that savvy yet. (if you are truly interested, compare several logs from our U.P. trip in late Sept. '06)

It might be lazy on my part not to write big logs anymore but, the bigger my log is, the more fun I had above and beyond the usual. 'Course I rarely trade items anymore either....

Ironically, when we started caching and usually put in long descriptive "story" cache logs, we thought maybe we were the problem when we saw mostly short "TNLNSL" logs. So we're kind of glad to see this here.

However, no one should be FORCED to write a long descriptive log and even we keep it short when we find some LP or similar micro in a mall parking lot or highway rest stop.

There's a website that tracks caching data of all sorts. One of the neat statistics is a comparison of how "wordy" you are in your logs, as compared to others.

Thanks for the link, Clan Riffster. I just discovered that I'm the wordiest cacher in Michigan (that has uploaded stats so far).

As a cache owner, I appreciate more descriptive logs. To me, short, nondescript logs indicate a lackluster cache experience, and as a cache owner, they have caused me to reevaluate and archive one of my cache hides. I thought the location was a nice spot, but the hide was unimaginative. If the location can't inspire a single comment in the log from cache seekers, I assume there's a problem with the cache that people are too polite to mention.

As a cache seeker, I like to leave descriptive logs for my benefit as well as the cache owner. I like reading through old logs and remembering cache hunts. In fact, my shortest log was 5 words and I can't remember a thing about that particular cache. My longest log was 739 words and I can practically relive that cache seeking experience. And on my best day (19 finds), I was still wordy in my cache logs because I was able to remember something fun about all the cache hunts. I don't understand the cut and paste method but realize that I operate differently than a lot of people.

Cache located in an alley behind a business on the breaker box.... :P

Lamp post cache in the middle of a large parking lot.... :)

A tiny green micro with poor coords in a grove of evergreen trees.... :D

A rock cache in a bolder field..... :D with poor coords.... :rolleyes:

A magnetic cache in a park attached to the garbage can holder and very well hidden.... :unsure:

A cache located outside the front plate glass windows of a business with no way to be sneaky.... :D ("Hey everyone, come look. It's another one of those crazy geocacher dudes searching around our little piece of artwork for that micro cache I hid. Any bets on how long it will take him").... B)

A micro hidden in a hole in a railroad tie that helps contain the gravel around a piece of playground equipment.... :D

A cache hidden by a residence.... :D

When I find caches like these, I write a note about the adventure I had and the great fun with finding the cache. I like to tell the owners of my adventure. Then before I send it I proofread the log, looking for anything that might be offensive. Then I erase the log and write TNLNSL :D

I am paperless but I write a little memo in a note book to help me remember my finds. If I have a good adventure getting to or from the cache, or there was something good to say about the cache, good hide, good view, good container, good coords, good contents, etc. I will write about the adventure. B)

If I find myself starting to criticize something about the cache I whitewash the log and resort to TNLNSL. :D I don't want to be the guy responsible for the "unexplained" absence of any more hides by the criticized owner who decides it just isn't worth it to go through the trouble of hiding a cache if someone he doesn't know is just going to complain about it anyway.

Living in rural eastern Montana, losing even one hider can severely effect the number of caches to find.

Besides, even if I didn't find anything remarkable about the cache, the cacher finding a lamp post cache for the very first time still is thinking "Wow that is soooo cooool." :D

But for me TNLNSL :D

My logs generally are a direct reflection of how I felt about the cache. A cache that stunk (IMO) gets a TNLNSL type of log. One that I enjoyed, being it for the journey there, the lesson, the view, the hide, etc... gets a much much longer write up and the in betweens, well you get the picture.

Some caches are incredible, some just stink and then there are a whole lot that fall somewhere in the middle. How you log them is totally up to you, but feel free to write as much or as little as you like!

My reason for short logs in the logbook at the cache is simple.I dont have good penmenship.The reason for short logs on the cache page is simple to.I cant type.I still use only one finger and it takes a while.This post took me a half an hour.So if I log your cache with more than 1 sentence than I have spent over an hour telling my story.