Why are some coins more popular

geocachingdragon

I was wondering what made some of the most produced coins some of the most popular and pricey on e***. examples are tracking time 1300 produceed cant usually get one for under 30$ Florida gator coin over a 1000 made again 30$ is a good price on e***. I know their is no definite answer. Just wondering.

It's just what people like. Making fewer of them doesn't ncessarily make them more desirable. You still need a dsign people like. A friend and I were talking about this a few days ago. He said there was a coin he had to get because there were only 100 of them made. You know what? Ther eare probably 30 or more other people that also had the same limited run of 100. If that's why you have to get one, it'll be more expensive than buying Tracking Time on eBay.

BTW - I might be able to get you a Tracking Time for less than $30 - what do you have to trade? :blink:

Why do young men and boys wear their pants down past their backsides??? And why do girls date guys who dress like that??? Makes no sense either!!! :blink:

Let's keep the questions going................

Why do girls date stupid guys without jobs who can't afford an evening at McDonalds's, much less a real restaurant?

Why can't supposedly intelligent people operate a trash can 25 feet away, instead of throwing it on the ground?

Just wondering :ph34r:

I was wondering what made some of the most produced coins some of the most popular and pricey on e***. examples are tracking time 1300 produceed cant usually get one for under 30$ Florida gator coin over a 1000 made again 30$ is a good price on e***. I know their is no definite answer. Just wondering.

I asked a similar question in a recent thread. Its a mystery to me too but I am just getting started and still learning this whole coin thing. My main concern is that I am on a fixed income and just don't want to waste money on geocoins that aren't worth buying. If I am going to scrimp and save to buy a geocoin I would just as soon that it be a coin that I can consider an investment of sorts that I can enjoy, but if I need to I can recoup my money. I have five coins I like and I get travel bugs and generic coins to put in the wild because I like watching the logs and where they go. Anyway I said all this in the other thread.

The coins today, are the 30.00 + coins on Ebay tomorrow- Just spot them out- Get em now and later they will be long sought after by everyone who didnt get one today.

There are a few of them out there right now that I believe will be a 30.00 coin by next year. Im not sure if I should mention any coins but I think the Koala coin is going to be one to reach that point some time, and many others too, so get em while the gettins good...or pay 30.00 when there gone.

If its a gotta have it... and its available, then it will probably sell out and when it does thats when people start payin the big bucks...not only because its cool, but it cant be bought anymore.

I think another thing is, its desireablility amongst the people who collect them if the people make a big stink about a coin, then others will think...well...if they like it- I do too...I want one!

I to have wondered this, after paying 22.00 for a stupid Credit card coin on Ebay...I kinda came to my senses, I have almost ceased all Ebay activity (for the sake of my wallet) and have chosen to stick to whats out now and what can be traded...even though I am not a big trader yet.

Just my thoughts -which arnt even worth a 5.00 coin let alone a 30.00 coin

The coins today, are the 30.00 + coins on Ebay tomorrow- Just spot them out- Get em now and later they will be long sought after by everyone who didnt get one today.

There are a few of them out there right now that I believe will be a 30.00 coin by next year. Im not sure if I should mention any coins but I think the Koala coin is going to be one to reach that point some time, and many others too, so get em while the gettins good...or pay 30.00 when there gone.

If its a gotta have it... and its available, then it will probably sell out and when it does thats when people start payin the big bucks...not only because its cool, but it cant be bought anymore.

I think another thing is, its desireablility amongst the people who collect them if the people make a big stink about a coin, then others will think...well...if they like it- I do too...I want one!

I to have wondered this, after paying 22.00 for a stupid Credit card coin on Ebay...I kinda came to my senses, I have almost ceased all Ebay activity (for the sake of my wallet) and have chosen to stick to whats out now and what can be traded...even though I am not a big trader yet.

Just my thoughts -which arnt even worth a 5.00 coin let alone a 30.00 coin

Exactly what I am getting at. WIth my very tight budget I need to find out what is hot and what is not so I can at least recoup my money if the need arises down the road. I hope it doesn't come to that but I know I have probably two coins that I bought in the first days of my geocaching that I wish I had a do over on. I won't mention them publically to save embarassing myself and to prevent the appearence of disrespecting someones geocoin design. Anyway ....... I am not looking to get rich on geocoins, I am just trying to protect my invenstment in geocoins by making well informed decisions. Thanks for your post.

Edited by Jay Mills

I don't think that geocoins are any reasonable investment item. If you are buying them with the intent on being able to resell them later on, you are probably not going to be happy with your results. Remeber the beanie baby craze? are ANY of them worth anything anymore?

I buy (very few these days) and trade geocoins because I enjoy them, and like what they represent (usually personal coins) and I have no belief that I can even recoup my spending on them ever. Yes, I made afew bucks on some of them from e-bay before (not personals, just some of the commercial ones) but that was to fund more coins.

If you want investment coins... buy gold or silver, and still beware.

I don't think any of the big time collectors believe they have an investment. I know I don't.

Buy or trade for what YOU like if you want to collect them. trying to figure out which coins will sell for 3x purchase price (or more) is like picking lottery numbers based on what numbers were drawn a year ago.

Though, if you want, I'll sell you many of my coins at only $20 each :D

I'll third "supply and demand." All in favour, say aye.

There may be approximately 1,300 Tracking Time coins out there, but apparently more than 1,300 people want one.

I recently lost an eBay auction for a GeoTiki Yawp. It went for over $70. In that case, there are 200 pieces, and a heck of lot more than that still looking for one.

I am not sure why the price gets so high. I look on ebay every once in awhile to see whats on there that I may want. I will not spend over $10 a coin on there when I can trade for the same one somewhere else. When I first started caching and wanted a few coins I was on there everyday looking. But now I spend my time on here looking for newer ones. I will most of the time buy 2 maybe sometimes more. Like the 2007 compass rose. I bought 5 of them when they went on sale. I traded off 2 of them. Then the other night got home from visiting the family and had a invoice for 2 satin gold 2007 compass roses cause I was next on the list and someone didn't pay for theirs. I could turn around and sell that on ebay and pray that it goes or I could just keep it and use it for a trade or even a secret mission or see if my dad wants it. My dad is the one who got me into geocaching. He has a few coins that he bought to release and someone stole his 2006 gold compass rose to put into their collection. So now he will not release another coin and just has them in a drawer in his computer desk. I went to his house a few weeks ago and showed him my Scotland Geocoin I bought off of someone. He liked it and didn't say anything to me about wanting one. He then calls me and said he found one on ebay and got out bidded and it went this high and ended before he could bid again. Five mins after getting off the phone with him I made a trade for one for him. He couldn't believe it. So now I am doing trades through the trading site for him also. I also don't understand the whole LE and XLE coins. I have a few that I don't even care if I own. Like the 2007 Evil Micro I have the LE and the XLE. To me they are the same as the reg. Evil Micro. The satin gold 2007 compass rose. I might not even keep one depending if I like the way it looks. Also the black nickel 2007 I have I may not keep because I don't really care for the way it looks. I don't really see a reason to get a LE or a XLE or all the metals to keep if you don't really care for them. I only bought them to see what the metals looked like being new to this I had no idea how the metal could make such a difference in a coin. But now I do see that not all metals should be used for all coins. Some may look good on one but not another.

I was going to say this is my 2 geocents worth but seems to be alot more than that.

I figured their would be no answer chocolat or vanilla Redheads or blondes Its all down to what people like and every one likes something different even if you like the same coin you might have different reasons . For example i done know why yemon likes the bikini bottom feeders coin :blink: but i know my reason. Thanks for the laugh. :blink:

I am not sure why the price gets so high. I look on ebay every once in awhile to see whats on there that I may want. I will not spend over $10 a coin on there when I can trade for the same one somewhere else. When I first started caching and wanted a few coins I was on there everyday looking. But now I spend my time on here looking for newer ones. I will most of the time buy 2 maybe sometimes more. Like the 2007 compass rose. I bought 5 of them when they went on sale. I traded off 2 of them. Then the other night got home from visiting the family and had a invoice for 2 satin gold 2007 compass roses cause I was next on the list and someone didn't pay for theirs. I could turn around and sell that on ebay and pray that it goes or I could just keep it and use it for a trade or even a secret mission or see if my dad wants it. My dad is the one who got me into geocaching. He has a few coins that he bought to release and someone stole his 2006 gold compass rose to put into their collection. So now he will not release another coin and just has them in a drawer in his computer desk. I went to his house a few weeks ago and showed him my Scotland Geocoin I bought off of someone. He liked it and didn't say anything to me about wanting one. He then calls me and said he found one on ebay and got out bidded and it went this high and ended before he could bid again. Five mins after getting off the phone with him I made a trade for one for him. He couldn't believe it. So now I am doing trades through the trading site for him also. I also don't understand the whole LE and XLE coins. I have a few that I don't even care if I own. Like the 2007 Evil Micro I have the LE and the XLE. To me they are the same as the reg. Evil Micro. The satin gold 2007 compass rose. I might not even keep one depending if I like the way it looks. Also the black nickel 2007 I have I may not keep because I don't really care for the way it looks. I don't really see a reason to get a LE or a XLE or all the metals to keep if you don't really care for them. I only bought them to see what the metals looked like being new to this I had no idea how the metal could make such a difference in a coin. But now I do see that not all metals should be used for all coins. Some may look good on one but not another.

I was going to say this is my 2 geocents worth but seems to be alot more than that.

Thats what I would eventually like to do but I need to establish a desirable collection to trade with first. But to establish a desirable collection you have to know what to buy. I will just keeping looking at the forums and let the rest take care of itself. I think I have already made 2 bad coin purchases I just don't want to make too many of those and get stuck with a bunch of coins no one wants.

Edited by Jay Mills

Some coins are more popular because they party with geocachers when they should be at home studying.... some of these coins will drink, smoke, and behave very badly...'

These "popular" coins often end-up scratched or in collections with too many micro coins. It's a shame.

What a good geocoin will do is concentrate not so much on being popular, but on being meaningful. Have a story to tell. Maybe most important of all - this coin should be something that means something very, very much to a special cacher. The cacher and the coin will have a special bond because the coin will remind everyone of the cacher and the cacher will think of the coin as their very own.

yes....you can have your "popular" coin. I rather have a special coin of my own....

For those looking to establish a good trade pool of coins:

The best advice I can give you is to mint your own coin. You have to lay out the money upfront for 100, 250, etc. but in the long run it will be MUCH cheaper to build your collection that way.

THink of it this way - most coins right now sell for about $10.00 (average). If you were to buy 100 coins, you'd spend $1,000 and have 100 coins in your collection.

If you mint your own coin, you can do 100 for somewhere around $500 - $600 (depending on the vendor). You can then trade those for the coins you want (fairly easily) and end up with 100 coins for just over half the price.

If you need to go higher, mint 250 coins and get the icon that people love. You'll still have no trouble trading coins and it will be cheaper if you can afford the upfront cost.

Look to the pinned threads at the top of this forum for a list of coin makers.