Paperless Caching - Let's Finish This

I've seen numerous threads about paperless caching and I think having 1 complete thread that outlines everything would be a great addition...

With that, I'd like to put together a series of information and/or questions that I have in regards to caching without paper... If you have ideas or other suggestions, please post them and I can edit and update this post to create a "COMPLETE HOWTO - START TO FINISH" for anyone else who has the questions... :P Please specify what you are helping clarify and I'll do my best to keep up.

Requirements:

- GPS Unit

- PDA (Palm, Pocket PC, etc)

- CacheMate (www.smittyware.com)

- GSAK (www.gsak.net)

- Map Source (not required to cache without paper, but a good addition to keep track of the bigger picture)

- Google Eath (not required, but neat to use)

- Premium Membership to Geocaching.com to run Pocket Queries

To Begin:

After signing up for a Premium Membership with GC.com, you run a Pocket Query with your requirements. This will pull a list of up to 500 caches within your specs and e-mail them to you. Download that file from your e-mail and load it into GSAK. (Other program suggestions?)

From GSAK, you can send those 500 caches to your GPS unit and your PDA. After the transfer, you'll see the new caches on your GPS unit.

From your PDA, run CacheMate and import the new caches to your database.

(this is where I get confused... I've run 2 PQ's and imported into the same database on GSAK.. If I've marked any of my caches as found on my PDA and then resync with GSAK, anything that I've moved into the "Found" category then moves where I import all of the new ones... Suggestion?)

So now you're ready to cache without paper... you've got the locations on your GPS and you've got the data for them on your PDA.

So you go searching and find a cache... Pull it up on your PDA, go to the Log screen and mark as found, set the date and times and update the notes. Move onto the next cache and continue until you're ready to update your logs.

This is where I get confused again. I want to now take the info from my Palm and update it to GSAK (So the most recent version is on my PC)... What do I do now? Will Syncing alone get it updated or do I need to process this somewhere else? I've read a few How-To's that tell me to run a Macro and utilize CM2GPX, but I don't know all the details of this...

And once I have it updated on my PC... Is there any easy way to update my logs onto geocaching.com? I believe the macro that I stated above does something similar to this (takes the caches that I've marked as "found" and pulls in the data somehow from my Palm to GSAK... This is where I get confused and I'm not sure the process of this.

Let's keep this going... Suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated. :anibad:

-Simon

Edited by SimonTuffGuy

I also posted about having my category dissapear on the Cachemate forums (when resyncing new caches over from gsak) and they sent me to this link: http://www.gsak.net/help/hs40000.htm

Seems to be down for me at the moment, but I followed this piece to a page where they had me run a Macro... I'm not sure if it's better to be running this macro or using the website in the above post (the Geocaching Express loger - http://boulter.com/geocaching/logger/)

Suggestion from either end of that? Can you tell me your usual process when you go to update your logs?

I think what you are asking is how I get the finds logged on Geocaching.com once I have them on the PDA?

If so here's my process. I sync the Palm after the return home, then I run a macro named cachematelog which imports my finds into GSAK and then from there a webpage opens with the proper cache on geocaching.com and I paste into the body with CTRL V which gets me my time and TB data. Select found and I'm done.

Then I delete my found records and I'm ready to go. On a new hunt or when I want more data I delete all records and go into GSAK and set up my filter and export it to cachemate, sync the PDA and run cachemate importing my Not Found items.

You will find the macro to get the palm entries sync'd in the macro forum over at gsak.

Edited by cummings66

I've seen numerous threads about paperless caching and I think having 1 complete thread that outlines everything would be a great addition...

With that, I'd like to put together a series of information and/or questions that I have in regards to caching without paper... If you have ideas or other suggestions, please post them and I can edit and update this post to create a "COMPLETE HOWTO - START TO FINISH" for anyone else who has the questions... :) Please specify what you are helping clarify and I'll do my best to keep up.

Requirements:

- GPS Unit

- PDA (Palm, Pocket PC, etc)

- CacheMate (www.smittyware.com)

- GSAK (www.gsak.net)

- Map Source (not required to cache without paper, but a good addition to keep track of the bigger picture)

- Google Eath (not required, but neat to use)

- Premium Membership to Geocaching.com to run Pocket Queries

To Begin:

After signing up for a Premium Membership with GC.com, you run a Pocket Query with your requirements. This will pull a list of up to 500 caches within your specs and e-mail them to you. Download that file from your e-mail and load it into GSAK. (Other program suggestions?)

From GSAK, you can send those 500 caches to your GPS unit and your PDA. After the transfer, you'll see the new caches on your GPS unit.

From your PDA, run CacheMate and import the new caches to your database.

(this is where I get confused... I've run 2 PQ's and imported into the same database on GSAK.. If I've marked any of my caches as found on my PDA and then resync with GSAK, anything that I've moved into the "Found" category then moves where I import all of the new ones... Suggestion?)

From the list page go CacheMate=>Option=>Preferences and CHECK the "Preserve old item catagory" box. Or filter out your finds in GSAK and done export them with the other caches when updating CacheMate.

So now you're ready to cache without paper... you've got the locations on your GPS and you've got the data for them on your PDA.

So you go searching and find a cache... Pull it up on your PDA, go to the Log screen and mark as found, set the date and times and update the notes. Move onto the next cache and continue until you're ready to update your logs.

This is where I get confused again. I want to now take the info from my Palm and update it to GSAK (So the most recent version is on my PC)... What do I do now? Will Syncing alone get it updated or do I need to process this somewhere else? I've read a few How-To's that tell me to run a Macro and utilize CM2GPX, but I don't know all the details of this...

And once I have it updated on my PC... Is there any easy way to update my logs onto geocaching.com? I believe the macro that I stated above does something similar to this (takes the caches that I've marked as "found" and pulls in the data somehow from my Palm to GSAK... This is where I get confused and I'm not sure the process of this.

The best place to ask questions about GSAK macros is the GSAK forum. But briefly, hotsync to get the backup PDB file from CacheMate onto your computer. Run CM2GPX to convert this to a GPX file (for the macro this is generally done in a BAT file). Then use the File=>Load CacheMate logs and finds command (or the macro CACHEMATE command) to update your database. The exact settings, parameters, and options for these commands depend a lot on you, your style, and the macro used (there are several on the GSAK forum that can be used).

I feel your pain SimonTuffGuy. The problem is, as Jester suggested, there are many different variables and a simple Typo can make things appear like a mess. I went through many posts before I almost got GSAK, cachemate & GC.com working flawlessly together... Then I upgraded to V7 and ran into more problems. I'm including a link to an extensive Thread on this topic. Depending on your techical abilities it can be pretty overwhelming.

Hope you can make some sense out of it all.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=152242

I also posted about having my category dissapear on the Cachemate forums (when resyncing new caches over from gsak) and they sent me to this link: http://www.gsak.net/help/hs40000.htm

Seems to be down for me at the moment, but I followed this piece to a page where they had me run a Macro... I'm not sure if it's better to be running this macro or using the website in the above post (the Geocaching Express loger - http://boulter.com/geocaching/logger/)

Suggestion from either end of that? Can you tell me your usual process when you go to update your logs?

This is my process for preparing for a caching trip:

1. On Palm, delete all records from CacheMate
  2. On 60csx (handheld), delete all waypoints
  3. Load PQs into GSAK
  4. In GSAK, export everything into CacheMate file for the Palm
  5. In GSAK, export everything into POIs for both my Nuvi (in the car) and the 60csx (handheld)
  6. From GSAK, load the closest (to where I will be caching) 900 caches that I haven't found into my 60csx
  7. Run POI Loader to load both my GPS's
  8. Hotsync Palm to load CacheMate

Then while out caching, I log all my finds & DNFs within CacheMate.

When returning home from caching I do the following to log my finds & DNFs:

1. Hotsync Palm to get CaheMate logs onto PC
  2. Run Express Logger webpage to log all finds & DNFs

That's all there is too it for me.

It takes me about 15 minutes to prepare for a cache trip and about 15 minutes after a trip to get everything logged.

Steps 1-3 of my preparation can be done anytime during the week before I go caching. Steps 4-8 are done right before I go caching.

My PQs are mailed to me throughout the week to keep GSAK updated. The "My Finds" PQ gets run every week or so to keep my finds updated in GSAK and to update my stats on my profile.

I have tried the GSAK macro way to get things back into GSAK and then log them from there, but I prefer my method. Plus, I also sync my Palm at work, so I can use the Express Logger page from there even though I don't have GSAK loaded if I have to.

Edited by markz68

@markz68-

I'm just getting started with all this (M105 on the way from ebay right now...) and your method seems pretty straight-forward EXCEPT the "Run Express Logger webpage to log all finds & DNFs" step.....

What's that? Can you be more specific for us noobs in the house?

Thx-

RenHoek

@markz68-

I'm just getting started with all this (M105 on the way from ebay right now...) and your method seems pretty straight-forward EXCEPT the "Run Express Logger webpage to log all finds & DNFs" step.....

What's that? Can you be more specific for us noobs in the house?

Thx-

RenHoek

Sure, no problem! I have recently started my own website to gather together all the links and info that have helped me. I have the steps typed up there already. Take a look at it at:

http://markz68.googlepages.com/geocacheloggingtutorial

It's still a work in process, but it's a start!

Feel free to email me if you have any questions or if something isn't clear.

I created a rudimentary GSAK tutorial a while ago. Maybe it will be helpful for someone. :)

I have never used the Express Logger. When I return home from a "caching adventure," the first thing I do is download my Tracks from my GPSr to Mapsource. Then, I open GSAK and do a Name Search for one of the caches I found that day. I change the centerpoint in GSAK to that cache so I can see the other nearby caches I found. I mark each of the caches I found as Found in the GSAK database.

If I traveled a distance during the day, I might have to change the centerpoint in GSAK a couple of times to get all the caches I found. After that, I do a Filter bringing up only the caches I found during that day. I reconcile that number with the number in my Found folder in Cachemate on my Palm to make sure I got them all.

Referring to my Tracks, I double-click each cache in GSAK, in the order I found them, to bring up the cache page in my browser. That way I get to see the cache page, read anything I didn't read before, and see any pictures the cache owner put on the page. Since the cache owner created the page, I think looking at it at least once is nice . . . :laughing:

The Express Logger is handy, but it is easy to get caches mixed up, as a cacher did with one of my caches this past weekend when he logged the wrong one . . . :)

<snip>

The Express Logger is handy, but it is easy to get caches mixed up, as a cacher did with one of my caches this past weekend when he logged the wrong one . . . :)

Funny that you say this...

The Express Logger has helped me NOT MIX UP CACHES. Now, I know that they are getting logged in the correct order! Before I started using it, I on at least one occasion logged them in the wrong order. So now my stats page is incorrect on what cache was my 100th. It found the 100th I logged, not found.

While using the Express Logger, it has a link to each cache. I pull up the cache pages for ones I need to review first.

That's interesting . . . As I stated, I have never used Express Logger. When I emailed the cacher about logging the wrong cache with a similar name, he "blamed" the Express Logger . . . :)

Maybe the problem is HOW the cacher used the express logger.

When you pull up the Express Logger page, you can either have it import your CacheMate log file, or you can type in a list of waypoints (GC #) seperated by commas.

I use the first method of importing my CacheMate log, which has the caches all time & date stamped along with any notes I entered when I logged them in CacheMate. There's probably not much chance of messing that up.

However, maybe the cacher typed in a list of waypoints and entered a wrong number somewhere. I can definitely see where there is room for error that way.

Either way, we all have our preferred methods of record keeping. My way works best for me out of all the methods I have tried.

While searching for a way to «automate» my logging when I return from a power cache trip, I tried Express Logger and it worked quite well. Personnally, I find setting up a Macro that allows me to log my finds based on my cachemate «found» status is the way to go. I'll be the first to admit, it's more work at first but when you have the macros set up properly, it's a one stop shop; My setup marks my found caches as «found» in GSAK, it imports in GSAK whatever comments I logged in cachemate (similar to express logger), it pulls up the cache page for each cache that was just imported in the order I found them and once i'm done it moves the caches I've just logged into a «Found» Database in GSAK.

<snip>

The Express Logger is handy, but it is easy to get caches mixed up, as a cacher did with one of my caches this past weekend when he logged the wrong one . . . :cry:

Funny that you say this...

The Express Logger has helped me NOT MIX UP CACHES. Now, I know that they are getting logged in the correct order! Before I started using it, I on at least one occasion logged them in the wrong order. So now my stats page is incorrect on what cache was my 100th. It found the 100th I logged, not found.

While using the Express Logger, it has a link to each cache. I pull up the cache pages for ones I need to review first.

I agree. This is an awesome application. ;)

That sounds so cool. :) Can you share the code for that Macro?

I'm no programmer but I'll try to simplify the process in words that the common user could apply and post the code. The problem is that if it doesn't quite work in your setup, I might have a hard time sorting things out but I'm sure there's lots of cachers out there that will be willing to help. I'll be back... :)

I've never used express logger either. This last trip, it wouldn't have helped us anyway. We were using three gps units between the two of us over a 6 day trip. Sometimes two, or even three, of the units had the waypoint marked as found for a day, while other times, only one of us had their gps out or remembered to mark the cache as found.

I like to write individual logs for each cache anyway. Doesn't express logger result in those generic type logs?

"I was out caching in xville and found this one. Thanks"

I really dislike getting eight or ten identical logs from one cacher who swept through town--It's even worse when two or three cachers work together and all autolog.

What I have been doing to "update" my found logs in GSAK is to simply run a new PQ asking for caches I haven't found yet. My new finds are not picked up in the new PQ, and when the new GSAK file is made, it doesn't have the caches I've found in it. Even if I forget to add that, the ones I have found show up as alread found in GSAK because of the way I initially set it up.

Am I missing some nice functional feature that would mark the GSAk for me without generating the generic logs?

I've never used express logger either. This last trip, it wouldn't have helped us anyway. We were using three gps units between the two of us over a 6 day trip. Sometimes two, or even three, of the units had the waypoint marked as found for a day, while other times, only one of us had their gps out or remembered to mark the cache as found.

I like to write individual logs for each cache anyway. Doesn't express logger result in those generic type logs?

"I was out caching in xville and found this one. Thanks"

I really dislike getting eight or ten identical logs from one cacher who swept through town--It's even worse when two or three cachers work together and all autolog.

What I have been doing to "update" my found logs in GSAK is to simply run a new PQ asking for caches I haven't found yet. My new finds are not picked up in the new PQ, and when the new GSAK file is made, it doesn't have the caches I've found in it. Even if I forget to add that, the ones I have found show up as alread found in GSAK because of the way I initially set it up.

Am I missing some nice functional feature that would mark the GSAk for me without generating the generic logs?

The Express Logger can add certain text to each cache but since you have to submit each cache log separately, you can add whatever you want to each one.

I usually start off with "I found this with blah blah blah..." and then add whatever I want that is specific to each cache.

The Express Logger can add certain text to each cache but since you have to submit each cache log separately, you can add whatever you want to each one.

I usually start off with "I found this with blah blah blah..." and then add whatever I want that is specific to each cache.

I do the same thing except I don't write "blah blah blah." :)

I've never used express logger either. ...

I see, thanks for that info. I may have to look into that a bit further, then.

Back to the OP's idea. The reason there isn't just one thread for "how to do paperless caching" is because there are so many ways to go. Even after you choose the programming that matches your personal geocaching style and equipment, there are many ways to personalize the methods.

Here are some really good resources. Some of them give step-by-step details:

Florida geocaching Paperless Caching (cachemate, mobipocket, GSAK, easy gps)

Geocacher-U Paperless Caching (plucker, spinner)

(other programs and links--GPX2HTML, Watcher, BMGPX))

Georgia Geocachers Paperless Caching (mobipocket)

PodCacher on Paperless caching (inlcudes most of the above + isilo)

Edited by Neos2

That sounds so cool. ;) Can you share the code for that Macro?

I'm no programmer but I'll try to simplify the process in words that the common user could apply and post the code. The problem is that if it doesn't quite work in your setup, I might have a hard time sorting things out but I'm sure there's lots of cachers out there that will be willing to help. I'll be back... :blink:

I hope this works for others as well as it works for me. :o

1. Create a new file in notepad with the following line and save it as cm2gpx.bat. Save it in the cm2gpx folder that is located in the GSAK folder. Notice the pause line. That should be part of the file aswell. You will have to find the file «DefaultItems-cMat.PDB» and make sure the path name is correct. Check if the path says «palmOne» or «Palm» and change «YourPalmname» to whatever is specified in the path. That file contains the information from cachemate when you did your last HotSync.

C:\Progra~1\GSAK\cm2gpx\cm2gpx.exe -f -o C:\Progra~1\GSAK\cm2gpx\cm2gpx.gpx C:\Progra~1\palmOne\YourPalmname\Backup\DefaultItems-cMat.PDB

pause

2. Copy the following code in Notepad and save it as cm2gpx.txt in the macros folder:

# Set System Variables
Set $Path=GetEnvv("HomeDrive")+GetEnvv("HomePath")

# Run CM2GPX - Converts Cachemate Database To GPX File
ShowStatus msg="Running Palm CM2GPX Converter"
RUNPGM pgm=$_Install\cm2gpx\cm2gpx.bat Wait=Yes

# Import Palm Cachemate Files - Found Caches And Logs
ShowStatus msg="Importing Palm Cachemate Files - Found Caches And Logs"
Macroset Dialog=CacheMateLog VarName=$CacheMateLog
CACHEMATE Settings=<macro> File=$_Install\cm2gpx\cm2gpx.gpx

# Display Found Caches
MFilter If=$d_Found

#################################
# Enbeded Settings

<data> VarName=$CacheMateLog
[TfmCmateLog]
rbtLog.Checked=False
rbtNo.Checked=False
rbtNotes.Checked=True
rbtYes.Checked=True
rbtReplace.Checked=False
rbtAdd.Checked=True
rbtFlagNo.Checked=False
rbtFlagYes.Checked=True
rbtDateOnly.Checked=False
rbtDateTime.Checked=False
rbtUserNo.Checked=False
rbtUserYes.Checked=True
rbtCode.Checked=True
rbtSmart.Checked=False
<enddata>

Choose msg="Bulk Log found caches now?" opt1=No opt2=Yes
If $Result = 1
Cancel
EndIf
If $Result = 2
Macro File=$_Install\Macros\log_on_gc_com.txt
EndIf

3.Copy the following in a new notepad document and save it as log_on_gc_com.txt

#####################################################################
# Semi-Automatic Log Found Caches On Geocaching.com
# Once All Found Caches Are Logged Move Found Caches To Found Database
#####################################################################

# Select Database
$Database = "Any string we know won't match a file name"
While .not. DatabaseExists($Database)
INPUT Msg="Enter the Database name that you want to move the Found Caches From." Default=$_CurrentDatabase VarName=$Database
If DatabaseExists($Database)
Database name=$Database Action=select
Else
Pause Msg="Database does not exist. Please try again"
EndIf
EndWhile

# Filter Found Caches
MFilter If=$d_Found
SORT By=Foundbyme;Usersort sequence=A
IF $_FilterCount > 0
GoTo Position=Top
While .not. $_eol
Else
ShowStatus msg="No Caches Marked As Found"

# Open Selected Database And Clear All User Flags
Database Name=$_CurrentDatabase Action=Select
USERFLAG type=clear range=all
SORT By=Distance Sequence=A
Cancel
ENDIF

# Copy contents of the log section of the notes for this cache into the clipboard
$LogData = $d_UserNote
$ClipData = $LogData
CLIP tags=$ClipData

# Call up the log page for this cache (press Ctrl-V to paste GSAK info the log box)
WEB url="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=%gcid"
Pause msg="When your finished logging, click on continue"
GoTo Position=next
EndWhile
GoTo Position=Top

# Move Found Caches From Selected Database To Found Database
ShowStatus msg="Moving Found Caches To Found Database"
Database Name=$Database Action=Select
MFilter If=$d_Found
IF $_FilterCount > 0
   Macroset Dialog=MoveCopy VarName=$MoveCopy
MoveCopy Settings=<macro>
ENDIF

########################################################################
# Enbeded Settings

<data> VarName=$MoveCopy
[TfmMove]
cbxDestination.Text=Found
rbtAdd.Checked=True
rbtAddFlag.Checked=False
rbtAddIgnore.Checked=False
rbtCopy.Checked=False
rbtExistIgnore.Checked=False
rbtFlagOnly.Checked=False
rbtMove.Checked=True
rbtReplace.Checked=True
rbtReplaceFlag.Checked=False
chkDisplay.Checked=True
<enddata>

Now that the groundwork has been laid out, here's the step by step.

1. Filter out the caches using GSAK
  2. Export to Cachemate PDB file
  3. Head to the field and check the found box for each cache you find
  4. Enter any info you want to log in the space provided in the cachemate log page
  5. Upon returning from your cache hunt, Hotsync your palm with your computer
  6. Open GSAK and run the cm2gpx macro

One important part of this process is when you Export to cachemate, the process won't work if you export the smart name instead of the GCxxxx code. Also, if you want to log a DNF, Note, etc... No problem, place a checkmark in the found box and leave yourself a note in the cachemate log. When the macro brings up the cache page, you have to select for each one what type of log you want to register. Also, for each cache that you logged in cachemate, you can paste the information that you entered in your Palm, on the cache page.

After you finish logging on GC.com, the Macro will move your found caches to a «Found» Database in GSAK. That being said... if you don't already have one, you will need to create a «Found» Database.

After your logging has been completed, you will have to Delete All the caches in the Found category in cachemate.

Good luck! :o

Miragee,

Please post your results here. I would suggest that you test out this method prior to actually go on a hunt. It took me about one week, maybe more, to get this to work for ME. Try simulating the process with one particular cache. This way if it does work and shows it as a found cache, you only have one to delete or change its status. Also, if you could make sure that your cachemate is free of caches with the found box checked it would help. The surefire way to find out is by going through the process. The Bulk Log function will open up the log page for every cache that has the found box checked.

Here's the link to the thread that got this system going for me... You'll see some of the challenges that I ran into and the solutions that were suggested. I give a lot of Credit to N80FP-Del. He's the one who walked me through the process for the most part. You shouldn't have to change your Macro files but the link could help solve some issues depending on your GSAK & Cachemate settings.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=152242

Good luck!

Ok, here's a stupid question from a newb for all of you. When I d/l a pocket query for the purpose of paperless caching, do I only need to d/l the one gpx file and then use it with both the program that sends it to my gps and the program that sends it to my Palm?

Yes, GSAK (and maybe other programs) can send the data from the GPX file to both your GPS and your Palm. There are many ways to do this though. I export it as a CacheMate file for the Palm. Others have different methods.

I suggest you try a few of the methods here and see what works best for you.

Ok, here's a stupid question from a newb for all of you. When I d/l a pocket query for the purpose of paperless caching, do I only need to d/l the one gpx file and then use it with both the program that sends it to my gps and the program that sends it to my Palm?

Depending on where you live, or where you travel frequently, you might need to set up and download more than one Pocket Query. Where I live, I need more than five to cover the cache-rich area nearby . . . :unsure:

A program like GSAK can help filter the caches you want for a particular area. For instance, yesterday I went out to the desert. I used GSAK to return only the caches out there. I put those in my GPSr and then Exported in the .pdb format for my Palm M500. I also Exported the filtered caches in the .gdb format for my Mapsource maps so I could look at the area first and make sure I had the exact area I wanted.

Here is a little GSAK tutorial that might be helpful. :)

On a Macintosh and Palm:

1. Download the Pocket Query

2. Open MacCMConvert

3. Select (or drag) the file you want into the top entry box.

4. Check the filter boxes you want (I usually check the middle four).

5. Select the number of logs to include (I think the true max is 5 anyway).

6. Click "Send to PDA". It puts the file in the Palm's upload folder, ready to sync.

7. Hot sync the Palm.

8. The file will be transfered to the Palm. Open Cachemate and choose the appropriate database for the file and what folder you want it in. I usually create a database for a specific area ahead of time that the caches will load into, and I put them in "Unfound". Then you're ready to go.

*I take the same exact GPX file and use GPSBabel+ to convert to a Geocache file for my Magellan eXplorist. The GPS now matches the Palm Cachemate file exactly.

9. Once back at home I hotsync and use Geocaching Express Logger to log my found caches.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

Can someone explain to me why so many people here seem enamored with CacheMate? It doesn't seem to hold a candle to GeoNiche for Palm or BeeLineGPS for Windows Mobile (neither of which seem to be anywhere near as popular here) and hasn't been updated for almost 18 months. I keep looking at it thinking I must be missing something but can't figure out what.

Craig

Cachemate might be popular because of word of mouth. I agree, it's not the most estetically pleasing or user friendly program but it does the trick. The bonus is that many people are using it therefore there's lots of support in the forums. Personnaly I've never heard of GeoNiche but I'd be willing to try it out. However, when i click on the link provided, I just get a blank page... Hmmm! I've learned one thing by lurking in these forums, If you want help with something you better hope that it's something popular. Otherwise, you could wait a while.

Can someone explain to me why so many people here seem enamored with CacheMate? It doesn't seem to hold a candle to GeoNiche for Palm or BeeLineGPS for Windows Mobile (neither of which seem to be anywhere near as popular here) and hasn't been updated for almost 18 months. I keep looking at it thinking I must be missing something but can't figure out what.

Well, I can see one big advantage of Cachemate over BeeLine or GeoNiche, it costs a lot less.

One thing I've noticed a lot of these apps for the palm or ppc are that they seem to be trying to put too much into the app. Ok, yeah, some people might want a fully integrated program, but for me, I've already got the gps, I don't need gps support in the cache program. Yeah, I recognize that some people might, but I'd rather have the smaller app.

I've recently been playing around with a few different choices because I just switched from palm to ppc, and wanted to explore the options. So far cachemate still seems to fit the bill for me, although I like some things about smache. Have some issues in smache with long database opening times, and it doesn't seem to like to keep my sorting choice, but there's some potential in the program (although like others, it's pretty big, and includes far more than I need).

Does anyone know how to send waypoints from cachemate (on the PDA) to their Garmin gps. I have a Palm m505 pda and a Garmin Etrex Legend C gps. I think since my gps uses USB and not serial it is harder. I am hoping a female usb to min usb male adapter will solve some of my problems, but I am not sure how to do it. Anyone read anything on the topic?

I see that you are using a Nuvi. I have been trying to help a friend who is a noobi download caches into his new Nuvi. (Wow, "Noobi with a new Nuvi" is a mouth full.) I have installed a pocket query into GSAK and tried to download it from there the same way I do with my Garmin Quest without success. I have been uploading them in to GSAK using the Load GPX files in the Files list, and then after connecting my GPSr I use the Send Waypoints comand under GPS. I tried this with the Nuvi but could not get it to work. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

Dooley the Clown

3. Load PQs into GSAK
  5. In GSAK, export everything into POIs for both my Nuvi (in the car) and the 60csx (handheld)
  6. From GSAK, load the closest (to where I will be caching) 900 caches that I haven't found into my 60csx

It takes me about 15 minutes to prepare for a cache trip and about 15 minutes after a trip to get everything logged.

Steps 1-3 of my preparation can be done anytime during the week before I go caching. Steps 4-8 are done right before I go caching.

My PQs are mailed to me throughout the week to keep GSAK updated. The "My Finds" PQ gets run every week or so to keep my finds updated in GSAK and to update my stats on my profile.

I have tried the GSAK macro way to get things back into GSAK and then log them from there, but I prefer my method. Plus, I also sync my Palm at work, so I can use the Express Logger page from there even though I don't have GSAK loaded if I have to.

I see that you are using a Nuvi. I have been trying to help a friend who is a noobi download caches into his new Nuvi. (Wow, "Noobi with a new Nuvi" is a mouth full.) I have installed a pocket query into GSAK and tried to download it from there the same way I do with my Garmin Quest without success. I have been uploading them in to GSAK using the Load GPX files in the Files list, and then after connecting my GPSr I use the Send Waypoints comand under GPS. I tried this with the Nuvi but could not get it to work. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

Dooley the Clown

3. Load PQs into GSAK

I run a macro in GSAK to create POIs. Then I run Garmin's POILoader to load them onto the Nuvi as POIs.

Edited by markz68

Simple PC <> Cachemate/Palm procedure

I know that I'm late to this discussion, but I feel I ought to outline my method for transferring cache info between Cachemate and GC.com

I subscribe to the KISS principle, so:

1. Download the gpx file(s) for the caches of interest. I usually download them individually from each cache page, but Pocket Queries work too :huh:

2. Open the gpx file(s) using Cachemate File Converter. I usually have all of the File Import Options 'checked', except for 'Decode hints by default'. I usually have 5 Cache logs included, but you can select any number between 0 to 10.

3. Select all of the gpx Records.

4. File > Export to pdb (Ctrl-S) Choose a suitable name & storage location for the pdb file.

5. Select the correct Palm User name to which you wish to send the cache info.

6. Hotsync your Palm.

7. Start Cachemate on the Palm. Choose an appropriate Category in the Select Import Category screen that appears, then OK. To keep the lists organized, I have created a 'Found' category, a DNF category, categories for each of the several geographic areas in which I commonly cache and an 'Old Found' category for each of the areas.

8. Go to the appropriate category & you will see the caches listed.

9. To get the log(s) back to the PC, I 'Export each log' to an appropriate category in Memo Pad, usually as soon as I finish 'writing' the log.

10. Back to the PC to Hotsync, then Copy & Paste from the Palm Desktop Memo Pad to the appropriate cache page(s) in GC.com.

11. After I log each 'Find' on GC.com, I change the Category of each of the 'Found' caches from the 'Found' category to the 'Old Found' category for the area.

HTH

Craig

I'm still in the trial period for BeeLine, and have registered GPSTuner. I haven't tried Cachemate, GeoScout, or GeoNiche. I started out using GPS Tuner, but I was disappointed with the cache management side of things, so I picked up BeeLine. I really like the versatility of Beeline. My only complaint so far is that it doesn't seem to be as accurate as GPSTuner. I'm still playing around with some of the settings, so maybe it's just not tweaked right.

I'm using an Ipaq with a Garmin GPS 10 bluetooth antenna.

Edit: Forgot to mention I also have GPXSonar loaded. It's a great little program, but I usually use Beeline to look at the cache info.

Edited by GrummanGuy

Craig

I'm still in the trial period for BeeLine, and have registered GPSTuner. I haven't tried Cachemate, GeoScout, or GeoNiche. I started out using GPS Tuner, but I was disappointed with the cache management side of things, so I picked up BeeLine. I really like the versatility of Beeline. My only complaint so far is that it doesn't seem to be as accurate as GPSTuner. I'm still playing around with some of the settings, so maybe it's just not tweaked right.

I'm using an Ipaq with a Garmin GPS 10 bluetooth antenna.

Edit: Forgot to mention I also have GPXSonar loaded. It's a great little program, but I usually use Beeline to look at the cache info.

If you are using the BAT file and macros listed earlier in this thread, you need to change the BAT file to put the cm2gpx.gpx file in the NEW folder that GSAK is installed to. The orginal BAT file put it in C:/Program Files/GSAK... The new folder is C:/GSAK... You need to change the path/filename after the "-o" in the BAT file.

The reason you need to do this, is VISTA doesn't allow changes to files in the Program File folder, so GSAK now installs to C:/GSAK. There are ways around this, but it's easier to do it this way.

I just came upon an issue I'm having with the CachemateLog.txt macro referenced above - When I export the caches out of GSAK, I like to have the Waypoint be set to: %code-%typ1%con1%bug=B- so I get something like GC100R8-TR- for the waypoint. That shows the type, container size, and whether there's any travel bugs from the main listing (when in Wpt display mode).

HOWEVER, that same coolness screws up the CachemateLog.tx conversion since the output file from CM2GPX.EXE (done by the macro or the bat files listed above) ends up with that full name in the GPX file, and that doesn't match what's in GSAK...so I get the "No Caches to Import" (or whatever) error message.

The workaround (at this late hour) is to "fix" the name on the PDA before sync'ing, then it works OK. I don't see anyway at this point to get the macro to do a "first 6 characters" search of the waypoint.

I'm also getting an error on the MOVECOPY Settings=$movecopysettings line (201), but that's for another day.

-RenHoek

On a Macintosh and Palm:

1. Download the Pocket Query

2. Open MacCMConvert

3. Select (or drag) the file you want into the top entry box.

4. Check the filter boxes you want (I usually check the middle four).

5. Select the number of logs to include (I think the true max is 5 anyway).

6. Click "Send to PDA". It puts the file in the Palm's upload folder, ready to sync.

7. Hot sync the Palm.

8. The file will be transfered to the Palm. Open Cachemate and choose the appropriate database for the file and what folder you want it in. I usually create a database for a specific area ahead of time that the caches will load into, and I put them in "Unfound". Then you're ready to go.

*I take the same exact GPX file and use GPSBabel+ to convert to a Geocache file for my Magellan eXplorist. The GPS now matches the Palm Cachemate file exactly.

9. Once back at home I hotsync and use Geocaching Express Logger to log my found caches.

Parsa

I can't get MacCMConvert to work -- all I can get is a "sitx" file that I can't open. I've got G5 running 10.4.10, and a Palm Tungsten e2. Any hints?

not sure if you guys answered this question or not, but do I need to pay for cachemate in order for it to work with uploading say 500 caches/info.

The unregistered version I have now only uploads 10 in a database and I don't see any of the caches details or information including the hints.

That website wants me to register with one of their advertisers and buy something of theirs.. I think this is a waste of time. Is there away around spending more cache? I mean.. cash?

not sure if you guys answered this question or not, but do I need to pay for cachemate in order for it to work with uploading say 500 caches/info.

The unregistered version I have now only uploads 10 in a database and I don't see any of the caches details or information including the hints.

Yes. You get to try it out with a small number of caches at no charge. Beyond that it will cost you a massive $8.
That website wants me to register with one of their advertisers and buy something of theirs.. I think this is a waste of time. Is there away around spending more cache? I mean.. cash?

Are you looking to buy at smittyware.com (that's the Cachemate home page)? I see no pitch for anything other than $8. I bought it at that price a long time ago and have not paid a dime more since. Excellent value as far as I am concerned. Edited by Hynr

Yes. You get to try it out with a small number of caches at no charge. Beyond that it will cost you a massive $8.

Are you looking to buy at smittyware.com (that's the Cachemate home page)? I see no pitch for anything other than $8. I bought it at that price a long time ago and have not paid a dime more since. Excellent value as far as I am concerned.

hmm, alright I saw that and wasn't sure if there was a way around it. I installed the free version (unregistered) of cachemate and it really does not do what I heard cachemate is supposed to do.