Yet another UK holiday cache info request

Hello UK cachers-

The boss and I will be crossing the pond for a bike trip thru Scotland in August. (Never too late to start planning!) We'll be biking inn to inn, staying in Auchterarder, Kinclaven, Tobermory and Strontian. We will also take side trips to the Isles of Mull and Staffa.

Looking for recommendations on caches at and/or between these destinations, good starting points for searches of these areas, and bookmark lists. (I was in this forum on a similar topic a year or so ago, but that trip fell thru. The responses I got then would have been very helpful. )

I'm not a big micro fan, and a 30 mile per day distance will allow a good bit of time to be spent off the saddle.

Also, I really enjoy mapping out routes, cache locations, etc. Any suggestions on appropriate Ordinance Survey maps of these locations will be appreciated.

But I still won't be eating any haggis :P

Strontianite (GCH3QG) and the Lochaline Sand Mine (GCXAPF) immediately spring to mind...

You should really use the "Find Caches along a route" using Google Earth to make a .kml file. Then upload this to GC.com to find caches....

This will work well if you don't have access to OS maps.

There are other methods that use GSAK and Memory-Map for example but....

Thanks for the replies, both on the site and via email. Lots of good starting points, now I just need to find the time to follow through.

And I'm still open for more free advice!!

But what's the deal with adders? Lurking thru the UK forums, they sound common enough to be a tripping hazzard in the woods :(

Thanks for the replies, both on the site and via email. Lots of good starting points, now I just need to find the time to follow through.

And I'm still open for more free advice!!

But what's the deal with adders? Lurking thru the UK forums, they sound common enough to be a tripping hazzard in the woods :)

Adders aren't rare (as in endangered) but they are not common. In my years (like I'm a billion years old or something) I've only ever seen one. Walking down a track, high up on the mountains. Lovely sunny day. Very warm. In the middle of the track was a snake. Approached it quite, I dunno, robustly, because I've seen grass snakes quite a few times and that's what I thought it would be. Me and my mates were all looking really close, like wow, a snake, oooo. Then all three of us at the same time noticed the V shape on the back of the snakes head. V for viper. Without any prior practice or choreography training, all three of us took one very large step back!! :laughing:

The snake didn't do a thing, just did the tongue thing. So we took a photo and carried on our hike.

But what's the deal with adders? Lurking thru the UK forums, they sound common enough to be a tripping hazzard in the woods :)

Don't worry about them to much. They give a nasty bite, but the venom is only strong enough to kill a small dog. I have never seen one in all my years of walking in the countryside, I have however seen one grass snake. Just don't put your hand blindly into a hole and they love gorse (very prickly bush) so be more careful when searching in and around it.

They will slither away at the first chance they get, and you probably won't even see one?

One more tip to visitors to the UK - use postcodes to search for newarby caches. To find a postcode (a single postcode serves approx 10 houses or one business), start with any postcode in the town / village you are going to eg Tobermory (make sure it is Tobermory, not Ballamory - you'll find out while when you get there, both names are linked to popular children's TV programmes) hotel or bed & breakfast is a good place to get a postcode. Obviously, need to make sure you get the right side of the water if visiting an island. Near Oban, GCGBFR Marylanders on Kerrera (a small island) is fun.

Re adders - In 41 years of life, mostly in the UK, I've only ever seen three, one basking on a tree stump in Keilder Forest in Northumberland, while doing biology fieldwork, and two lying close together on the breakwater near Kirby Le Soken on the Essex coast (area used in Arthur Ransom's Secret Water). Nothing like the number of poisonous snakes I've seen in probably a total of 3 years spent in other countries, particularly Costa Rica, USA, Canada & Australia.

Edited by Copepod

I second the 'never seen one'... apart from "impounded" at the New Forest Reptile Centre and have spent a life time of weekends roaming the countryside of GB!

However front page of the "Daily Echo" today shows the results of an adder bite on a child! His leg was seriously ballooned and death could have ensued from sepitcemia!

Dr Martin Hussey said "It is a potentially life threatening condition" and "We don't see many adder bites, potentially they can be serious but the last fatality in the UK was over 30 years ago".

DO immobilise the leg or limb,

DO clean the area

DO dial 999 and get the patient to hospital

DON'T apply a tornique - you could lose the limb if the circulation is stopped for too long!

DON'T Cut the area

DON'T try to suck out the poison!

I am always on at my children to:

Stick to the path

Keep their eyes open

Use a long stick to poke in tree stumps!

If you spot any snake to move slowly away from it!

I have also encouraged them read the paper article today so that they know mum isn't talking hot air again!

Have a great holiday in Bonny Scotland

minxyy

We have found Adders to be very widespread on the heaths of Hampshire ,Dorset and Devon .

I keep a beady eye on the path ahead from April onwards and see several every year .

Saw my first one of this year a couple of weeks ago . ..and it was on a rocky beach ! Albeit just 2 paces from the crumbly cliff .It soon got out of my way and slithered up and dowm into a crevice after I gave a little shreik . :laughing:

Haven't seen any more than the tip of an adder tail so far this year, however, they have been seen basking by many is this area already, and as Minxyy rightly says, a young lad had a very unpleasant experience following a bite over at Studland yesterday. Report in the Daily Echo

People would do well in certain areas to consider snake proofing their dog, thankfully GeoDog was very compliant to this training! However, to be on the safe side, we always carry the vets number (on his collar tag) and would have no hesitation in calling her out (she's already agreed to this) if he gets bitten locally.