TOPO Map software which do you like best?

NATURE NUTZ

I recently purchased Garmin`s mapsource Topo U.S. I have read good and bad reviews of it and was wondering what everyone else likes for their topo maps. I bought this software for much less of what Garmin sells it for $116.00 i got mine brand new unopened off of ebay for $70.00. I`d love to hear what others like and how it has performed for them so far?

Thanks,Jeff

I recently purchased Garmin`s mapsource Topo U.S. I have read good and bad reviews of it and was wondering what everyone else likes for their topo maps..................... I`d love to hear what others like and how it has performed for them so far?

Thanks,Jeff

I was very surprised that a company that makes a great GPSr unit can release such a feature poor waste of hard drive space. Considering that Garmin includes several features used for geocaching within the GPS units themselves I was surprised how few actual tools this software had.

I've emailed Garmin (Mapsource) with requests such as a radius tool to help configure a specific pocket queries which they responded with... "What a good idea, although we don't know of any plans to add any features we will put it in the suggestion box"..... ? Seriously?

I would hope that all users of Mapsource make an effort to contact Mapsouce to request new features. It could be a half decent program.

BigBadger

Edited by BigBadger

Mapsource Topo is OK and your only option if you want topo maps on your Garmin GPS. I have Mapsource Topo, but find it of limited usefulness on the desktop when creating cache maps, trail maps and the like. The detail, while sufficient on a GPS screen is lacking on a larger desktop display.

For that I use National Geographic Topo. NG Topo is an excellent topo mapping program. It will work with your GPS (meaning you can create tracks, routes and waypoints on your desktop and load them to your GPS and vice versa.

Not a fan of Mapsource at all. Scale is way to small 1:100,000 is not a fine enough resolution to be useful for anything but pilots and ship captains. Come on for the price of a few DVDs why not give us 1:24,000 or 1:25,000.

I'm seriously considering changing over to Magellan.

Wish I could justify a Trimble, if you ever get a chance work with professional equipment, and software, jump on it. Whole nother league.

I just recently purchased Delorme Topo 6.0. I am still learning how to use all the features, but so far I have been impressed. It is more reasonably priced than National Geographic. (In my opinion :) ) For topo maps on my 60CSx I have been making my own as detailed in another thread on this website. Here is a link: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=155835&hl=

Edited by dsshepard

Mapsource Topo is OK and your only option if you want topo maps on your Garmin GPS.

Well, if you want to take the time and effort, you can make very detailed topo maps for your Garmin GPSr. Check out this thread. They work best if you have another detailed map set installed on the unit - City Navigator, e.g., but the results are worth the effort.

I just recently purchased Delorme Topo 6.0. I am still learning how to use all the features, but so far I have been impressed. It is more reasonably priced than National Geographic. (In my opinion :) ) For topo maps on my 60CSx I have been making my own as detailed in another thread on this website. Here is a link: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=155835&hl=

I looked at the topo usa your talking about. but i thought it said that the maps can`t be loaded directly to your gps unit? I also saw on a top ten site that it was rated gold but i read further and decided to stick with a garmin product since i have a garmin unit. let me know how it works out for you? i may do the same in the future.

Thanks, Jeff

I looked at the topo usa your talking about. but i thought it said that the maps can`t be loaded directly to your gps unit? I also saw on a top ten site that it was rated gold but i read further and decided to stick with a garmin product since i have a garmin unit. let me know how it works out for you? i may do the same in the future.

Thanks, Jeff

I have been using Delorme TOPO 6 and like it pretty well, after the learning curve - it is not perfect either but has alot of features to help you plan you trips. Like distance and getting waypoint right off the map into you GPS. I find the cache on the Map and then determine the approach and parking, re-search the area and Print the map to take with me. I use it for hiking, canoing, biking, and back packing.

Very useful but the roads shown may not be there. Or the named road on the map has no sign when you get there. A measuring tool will measure distance for you any way you want. Down the road,down the trail, down the river or just straight thru the woods. Great tool getting to know what is around you before going in the woods.

A profiling tool will give you a good idea of the terrain, grade, distance and position and offers stats on it as well.

It has alot of existing trails on the map. You can down load the track, and waypoint from your GPS on to the map and see where you been. I mark special features while out there. Caves, Gates, towers cabins whatever and download them onto the map and share the maps with friends and family.

I could talk along time about the software - it is really impressive and you can buy just half the USA if that works for you. I am from WV so I really don't need the Western states. Good LUCK!

I use three different programs: Garmin's MapSource Topo, National Geographic's TOPO!, and MapTech's Terrain Navigator. All the programs allow one to transfer waypoints and routes to and from a GPS unit. They all let you draw and save routes on the maps. I don't find the functionality of one better than another in terms of working with a GPS.

I always have a paper map, a compass, and a UTM roamer when I am on the trail and use either NG TOPO! or MapTech (depending on the area being visited) for paper maps. I print the maps with UTM grids. I also make the maps two sided. One side is 1:24,000 and the other side is 1:50,000. This way I can see a broader range of area quickly.

Garmin MapSource topo maps get loaded onto the GPS unit and I find the 1:100,000 scale to be a perfect compliment to the paper maps. It is broad enough that I can quickly see where I am in the larger scheme of the landscape.

Having the GPS set to UTM coordinates and using a UTM roamer with the 1:50,000 of 1:24,000 paper maps lets me pinpoint where I am very quickly if I need a more precise plotting.

Different scale maps have a purpose when traveling in the back country and the scales work together.

Edited by cmdigests

Mapsource Topo is OK and your only option if you want topo maps on your Garmin GPS.

Well, if you want to take the time and effort, you can make very detailed topo maps for your Garmin GPSr. Check out this thread. They work best if you have another detailed map set installed on the unit - City Navigator, e.g., but the results are worth the effort.

This is the way to go. You can always go to mapcenter and see if some kind soul has already made custom topos in your area. Then all you have to do is download the .img file and install. On another note if someone has a county here in western pa they want done let me know. I have done a lot so far but am starting on some more counties so will make them top priority.