PAY AS YOU GO TRAVEL TAX

Hi

I am posting this as I recieved it in my email box this afternoon. I am posting it here because IF this goes through Parliament it will effect the majority of us cashers in a big way.

Not signing this petition means you are quite happy for the government to take even more of your hard earned cash.

:unsure:

NOTE: This post has been edited to remove any personal political opinion.

If you drive a car, please read -

Sarah Kennedy was talking about this proposed car tax scheme on Radio 2. Apparently there is only Until the 20th February left to register your objection to the 'Pay As You Go' road tax.

The petition is on the 10 Downing St website but they didn't tell anybody about it. Therefore at the time of Sarah's comments only 696,025 people had signed it and 750,000 signatures are required for the government to at least take any notice.

Once you've given your details (you don't have to give your full address, just house number and postcode will do), they will send you an email with a link in it. Once you click on that link, you'll have signed the petition.

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver. A non working mother who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill.

If you are concerned about this Orwellian plan and want to stop the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website (link below) and pass this on to as many people as possible. Sign up if you value your freedom and democratic rights -

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax

Edited by Samurai Dan

It's not uncommon for governments to propose a piece of 'Political Suicide' legislation mid-term, only for it to be dropped, with a fanfare, a couple of months ahead of a general election. It's so people are thinking 'Oh well, they're not so bad after all' on the run up to polling day. Cynical, moi?

I agree, the caching connection is a bit tenuous.

I hold no political allegiance to the government but the OP plays fast and loose with what is being proposed. Costs- not decided yet (if it happens), tracking (the car just transmits the bill to a central computer not your locations) etc, etc. There are enough real things to be scared of without inventing new ones.

Please don't lock this thread.

This has everything to do with geocaching!! If this new tax comes into force my whole lifestyle will change dramatically.

I will not be able to go caching with my family anymore because our budget is already extremelly tight and we will not be able to visit Red Kite (Dan's Mum) as much as we do. When we visit Red Kite we also take her caching so she will be missing out too.

Done, total over 700,000 now :blink:

Just signed (708000 +) and trawled the website for other petitions.

Would the petition to knight Richie Benaud be anything to do with you???

Pete

Nope nothing to do with me.

I was only passing on information that has been all over the radio stations and the news for the past month. The only thing that is rarely stated on those programs is the petition against this proposal.

And yes hadn't edited the letter I was sent as I said and re say here "I am posting this as I recieved it in my email box this afternoon. I am posting it here because IF this goes through Parliament it will effect the majority of us cashers in a big way."

You can look at the political history and say that politicians table "unacceptable" proposals then drop them before the elections to look good. However the nature of politicians is also to table these proposals and pass them because no-one thinks they will go through as they are a stunt. Better to be safe than sorry.

As for this not being the right place to post this information; I would appreciate any better alternatives about where to post information that will affect fellow geocachers?

Fellow geocachers? You don't seem to have done much geocaching according to your profile.

Try looking under "The Dancing Samurais" and ~*Tinkerbell*~ who is my daughter!

I have a seperate account just so that I can post within the forums as a seperate entity from either my partner and my daughter. We may be a team when it comes to caching but we all have our own minds and opinions. Besides people would get confused by the contradictions that would come from all of us posting as the The Dancing Samurais? :ph34r: You'd all think I was schizophrenic :blink:

If the Mods were thinking of locking this thread, then I would petition for any quiz related thread to be locked too.

Don't like it, don't read it!

Of course it's topical. The cost of my trip to complete a cache a week last sunday, would have been alot more should this 'tax' have been in force.

Thanks Mods.

As I dared to leave my PC for a few hours this is the first time I've seen this thread. I understand the reason for publicising this "petition" and have my own personal views on it.

However I don't believe it is appropriate for a Geocaching related forum so I am taking the decision to close it now. As for the "Off Topic" quiz thread, this has been discussed before and I won't reiterate my reasons for leaving it open.