Newbie questions

dadeuce

I am just getting my feet wet in here and currently have a Garmin eTrex unit and was wondering if I could use this unit to learn how to find caches. Do I have to have a more sophisticated unit? I know I cannot input coordinates in the device but not sure if I can just use it to follow coordinates.

Also, how is the best way to get started Geocaching? Is there a beginners guide or something out there to reference?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

By the way, my eTrex is just the basic yellow one, not the legend or vista, etc. Thanks again!

I am just getting my feet wet in here and currently have a Garmin eTrex unit and was wondering if I could use this unit to learn how to find caches. Do I have to have a more sophisticated unit? I know I cannot input coordinates in the device but not sure if I can just use it to follow coordinates.

Also, how is the best way to get started Geocaching? Is there a beginners guide or something out there to reference?

Thanks El Diablo! Well now that I know I can use this unit, is there some "getting started" website or something out there you could point me to? This sounds like alot of fun and something the wife and kids can do with me but I really don't know ...how to get started.

Thanks again!

It's a good unit without some bells and whistles. It can find a cache as good as my 60CSx. Welcome to our world!

El Diablo

As El D said, your unit will work fine.

As far as getting started, you're in the right place.

Just go to this website's home page and put your Zipcode in the upper right hand corner and click on the arrow.

You will then see a list of caches in your area listed from nearest to farthest. For each cache you will see an icon showing the type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Puzzle), size of cache (Large, Regular, Small, Micro), the distance away from your Zipcode center, the terrain and difficulty ratings (1 easiest, 5 hardest) along with the date placed and last date found.

Pick any cache. You're best starting with a regular sized, traditional cache that has been found recently and has a difficulty of 2 or less. The terrain is up to you. 1 star will be an easly stroll, likely on a paved path, while 5 stars will require SCUBA gear, climbing equipment, or similar specialized equipment or might be on the peak of a 20,000 foot mountain or deep in a swamp. You will probably want lower for your first attempt.

When you decided on a cache, click on it and you will see a page with the cache's name, coordinates and usually some information about the cache. There also will be maps that will show you the location of the cache. Key the cache coordinates into your GPS, hit GO TO and follow that arrow. WHen you get to withing 0-about 40 feet away start looking.

That's about as quickie a primer as I can come up with.

The GPS will find you many a cache. As you use it if you find it does the job and you don't need anything else, you are good to go. If you start wishing it could do things, it's a cheap way to learn what you want in your next GPS.

If all you could ever get for the rest of your life was that GPS, you would be able to keep on caching.

I just got a cable to hook my Garmin to the laptop at a great low price (under $20). As I refuse to plug any business openly, please contact me through the profile if you need info. Of course, this would also mean getting GSAK, Clayjar Watcher, or other program to use this, and more expense. You might hunt about 50 or so first, and see if this is a hobby you choose to pursue longterm first.

Welcome to the madness, have fun, and be safe.

Once you buy your D/L cable, then you'll want to become a PREMIUM member so you can take advantage of "Pocket Querries" in order to download the waypoints easily to your GPSr (trust me, you'll get tired of doing this manually).

You may also want to use Cachemate ($8) on a Palm type device for info while caching.....I posted a few DNF's because I failed to print or write down the cache info....now I use my Palm and I have all the info right there in my hand..... There are many ways to skin the cat...choose what works best for you.

I have the plain old yellow etrex and I have found 55 now and counting....

To start, find some Geocaches in your area using the ZIP search, print out the data sheets for the ones you'd like to find, enter the waypoints into your GPSr and have fun.

My kids enjoy the LARGE caches with goodies....Micros aren't for them...keep this in mind when GC'ing with the kids.

...beware of the addiction....I'm contemplating on starting a Geocacher's Anonymous (GA) with all the associated recovery steps and meetings. :huh:

ea6bflyr :huh:

I have aquired a used Garmin Legend, but, ungotunately it came with neither a user's manual nor a PC cord. My initial question is this: can I enter a cache location as a "target" without having the PC hookup? My second question is the obvious one: How?

Get your manual by clicking this link http://www.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexLegend_OwnersManual.pdf . On my eXplorist 200 to enter coordinates I just click "mark" then scroll to the coordinates then change the values to the ones I need then save as a poi. From there I click "go to" then select the poi and I'm on my way. I generally use the compass screen to find the cache. Your best bet though is get advice from another legend user here (there are many!)

Good Luck,

Ray

... I just click "mark" then scroll to the coordinates then change the values to the ones I need then save as a poi. From there I click "go to" then select the poi and I'm on my way. I generally use the compass screen to find the cache. Your best bet though is get advice from another legend user here (there are many!)

Good Luck,

Ray

I have tried that. I scroll down to the coordinate space and select it. But what is highlighted is the "N" and I can't seem to change it (as if I wanted to do so!) nor can I move the "cursor over to the degrees and minutes which I do want to change!

On my "basic" yellow Garmin etrex:

To mark:

Go to 'mark' scroll down to the coords and click the 'enter' button

Then click the scroll buttons to highlight what you want to change, and click the 'enter' button to indicate you want to change it.

To move the 'cursor' i just use the up and down keys on the left side

On my Garmin Legend cx:

Basically the same thing, my cx has the 'knob' on the front to use to change things, up, down, left, right to scroll, push it in to enter

If you still can't figure it out...take it into a store that sells them and just say "i have this, and I can't figure it out for anything" around here, the Great Outdoor Provision Co usually has at least one knowledgable staff person, or they can pull out a manual and help you figure it out.

Good luck!

I have tried that. I scroll down to the coordinate space and select it. But what is highlighted is the "N" and I can't seem to change it (as if I wanted to do so!) nor can I move the "cursor over to the degrees and minutes which I do want to change!

When you select the coordinate space the N is highlighted. Also there should be a keyboard with numbers showing on the screen. With the black toggle button move it up and down left and right to the number that you want in that space and then push in the black button. This will change that number. There is also arrows pointing left and right. <> This is how you move the highlighted space to the next spot. After you are done changing the numbers toggle down to the OK and press the black button in. After all that scroll down to the "Go to" tab and your off and running.

Hope this helps.

Kayak-Cowboy

A nontechnical suggestion for those of you getting ready to jump in: consider inviting a local cacher to go with you on your first outing. Is there a geocaching organization near you? Or has someone hidden several of the caches near you? Or has someone recently found several caches in your area? I think that many cachers would be glad to help a newcomer get started.

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend I have had a lot of good luck with it.There are some books on GeoCaching that might help.I have this two: The Essential Guide to Geocaching and The complete idiots Guide to Geocaching this one my wife got me for a Birthday present.She thought I was crazy for getting into geocaching intill I took her with me a few times.Now she has her own GPS.

johnboy11171